May you never miss a deadlift and drop it on the floor - daily checkin for may.

Options

Replies

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Got my lifts and mini warmup in.

Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x120
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x70
    Dead: 1x5x135

It was ok...felt heavy at first but I adjusted quickly. Cubs game tomorrow...planning to get up and ride my bike in the morning if all goes well
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Also, I finally posted the meet video up on youtube. It's on the channel and I called it Dawn of Power, just for fun. :-) e

found it \o/ it was actually "dawn of strength", but i used my fu to track it down :D nice. it seemed like you just got stronger each time with the squat and deadlift.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    still improving and heading nicely towards pre-injury levels.

SQ 5X5 @57.5kgs
    BP 5X5 @ 40kgs
    Row 5X5 @40kgs
    Standing curls 4x5 @20kg

Plus some extras, tricep extension, negative Shoulder Press, Hyperextensions.

Feeling stronger!
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Friday's Workout

Week 3, Day 9
    Squats 5x5 @ 85lbs - feeling good on this lift. It's getting harder, but still going okay.

Bench5x5 @ 65lbs - finally feeling better about this lift. Not my fave, but it's getting better
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Continuation

b]Row[/b] 5x5 @ 85lbs
    This is a tough lift for me. Form is holding, but it's tough at this weight. Will probably hold here.

Happy Mother's Day!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    colour me happy. first day of week 3 went better than i'd expected. 3 reps on both final sets.

deadlift 115/125/135
    squat 65/75/80 (got this wrong, 'should' have been 85 but i think this was actually the right weight.

accessory lifts were
    dimel deadlifts 2x12@115
    kb front squats 3x8@35. don't sound like much weight but i was totally concentrated on keeping the weight right over mid-foot and doing the entire rom with everything a pair of bike shorts would cover.

rows 3x5@85. the rows were the heaviest weight i've ever done but i felt good about my form, so personal record!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    found it \o/ it was actually "dawn of strength", but i used my fu to track it down :D nice. it seemed like you just got stronger each time with the squat and deadlift.

Oops. Thanks. Can't remember my own titles. I was thinking powerlifting in the moment, lol.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Was supposed to be a rest or cardio day today but when I got to the gym, the squat rack was free so I nabbed the opportunity!

SQ 5X5 @57.5kgs I shall stick with this weight this week I think and move up at the weekend.

OHP 5X5 @25kgs - am also working on negatives to try and help improve this.

DL 1X5 @70kgs

Then did a 2 mile walk to work in the sunshine.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    @candianlbs, congratulations on the person record! :smiley:
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Nothing today - yesterday I went for a quick bike ride then went downtown to watch the Cubs win. That meant a lot of walking. My average steps a day are around 5500-6000...almost hit 10000 without trying yesterday. I went over on my calories/carbs, but I'm pretty sure my exercise offset the difference fairly well. Lifts tomorrow :)
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Eep sorry just catching up.
    What's the new book?

Thinner, Leaner, Stronger - Michael Matthews is the book.
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Quick check-in today because I'm actually motivated at work!

SL 5x5 Workout A today
    Squats: 5x5@85lbs..I thought the deload would make squats easier but lordy they are challenging. I find myself stopping at the top of each rep for one or two really deep breaths.
    Bench: 5x5@50lbs. I was sad about the deload on this because I just got to 60, but it will be back to 60 next Wednesday, so, okay fine.
    Rows: 5x5@65lbs

SL is a great way to start the work week!
  • inka912
    inka912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new to SL, today was my 6th workout. I like it so far. I am tempted to add some more exercises but I decided I would stick to the basic program for at least 6-8 weeks and then maybe add something extra.

Today:
    SQ 5x5 55lbs (using smith machine, ugh, I hated it. But the only squat rack at my gym was occupied and I didn't want to wait or skip it)
    OHP 5x5 40lbs
    DL 1x5 95lbs

Squats are hard for me because of the lower back surgery that I had a few years ago - really hard to keep the right form, that's why the weight progress on this exercise will be very slow. It's okay tho. Form is a lot more important :)
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi @inka912 glad you are here! :)
    Form is a biggie for all these moves, so it's good that you are holding until you have it right!

SL's A today

Cycled for 13.5 miles this morning so skipped the squats!

BP: 45lbs 2x5/70lbs 5x5

err, skipped the Row too :-/

I did do skullcrushers & shrugs though!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    inka912 wrote: »
    Squats are hard for me because of the lower back surgery that I had a few years ago - really hard to keep the right form, that's why the weight progress on this exercise will be very slow. It's okay tho. Form is a lot more important :)

totally yup. i expect if you've already paid the 'dues' of back surgery, the last thing you feel like doing is throwing it away with a form slip.

if you got any physio-kinesaesthetic aftercare following your surgery maybe check in with whoever that is for specific assistance/rehab that could be helpful to you. and if you don't mind a suggestion: if the rack is not free, skip the smith machine and see what you can do with goblet squats or anything else with a free weight. smith machines are absolutely no use for anything except maybe giving yourself the perfect bar height to do chinup and pullup work from without having to drag stepladders around or jump like a cricket to try and reach the regular people's handles.

as a short little person who intends to live the rest of her life without jumping, i'll admit that they are pretty terrific for that :D
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    woke up feeling gratified because my dawn's-early-light weight was back to 134 after quite a few weeks. but then i did a serious water-drinking project to find the point where i actually love how it feels to share my skin with my own muscles . . . and it seems like my really seriously-hydrated self weighs 140 pounds after all. on the other hand, with six extra pounds of fluid in me i feel FANTASTIC.

so anyway. week 3 ohp went okay at 45/55/60 and i got 3 reps for the final set.

for accessories i did the usual suspects: shoulder rotation, pulldowns, front/back/sumo squats with light weight and/or kettlebells.

i threw in some stiff-legged deadlifts with in between the kettlebell goblet squats, just because reasons. i.e. too lazy/cowardly to stretch my hamstrings after yesterday's deadlifts, but i figured the sdl's could just do it for me.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Trying hard to get back in to the lifting groove after long stretches of night shifts and an evening schedule change threw me way off. I have decided to let myself go to two workouts a week for now instead of three. It is so hard to coordinate lifting with derby and climbing without doubling up too much, especially now that we have house guests every Tuesday evening, which used to be my lifting day. What was happening was that I wouldn't be able to fit in a workout, know that I couldn't fit in 3 that week now, and call the whole week a loss and throw everything out the window. Hopefully, with only 2 sessions a week, I can give myself a bit of a scheduling break until I get back in the habit and have a few successful weeks.

Managed to get in a rushed workout between my derby league meeting and leaving for my night shift. Thank goodness I am on a major deload due to my break, so I didn't have to take long rests.

Squat - 3x5 at 95 lbs
    Pull ups - 4,4,3
    Bench - 3x5 at 65 lbs
    Row - 3x5 at 65 lbs
    Shrugs - 3x8 at 65 lbs
    Skullcrushers - 3x8 at 25 lbs
    Dumbbell curls - 3x8 at 15 lbs
    Good morning - 3x10 at 65 lbs
    Hanging leg raises - 3x10
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Last nights lifts:

Squats: 5x5 @ 125lbs
    BP: 5x5 @ 70lbs
    Row: 5x5 @ 80lbs

I plan on trying to get in some home exercises today. Maybe body weighted squats and abs.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    I don't even know how, but I managed to drag myself out of bed and lift. It was hard and sloppy, but I'm glad I got it done. Last night was a banquet with open bar and wine with each of 4 courses. So you can imagine...lots of wayyyyyy off my plan food and wine. I knew it was coming, and I paid $80 for my husband and I to go, so I planned to enjoy myself. And I did, but man am I paying today. I don't feel hung over at all, just really tired. I didn't sleep well, unfortunately. Anyways, got up and lifted, no warmup though.

Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x120
    Bench: 2x5x45, 5x5x80
    Row: 5x5x80

Happy I got it in, but I really just want to find a corner and sleep.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ok, I've gotten back into it after another week off just because I was lazy.

Yesterday's workout:
    Squat 5x5 @ 110 lb and at 3:00 mins between. Going to try 110 lb at 90 s next workout before increasing.
    OHP 5x5 @ 52.5 lb
    DL 1x5 @150 lb. Need to watch my form. Also almost dropped the bar one of those times so it reminded me of this thread lol.

Yikes I missed a lot from this thread whilst being lazy! @5minty I hope your shoulder get better really fast! That's a bummer that it tore :(

@Italiana_xx79 I also like standing for OHP. Once I get the weight up higher, I expect it to provide more of an ab workout.