May you never miss a deadlift and drop it on the floor - daily checkin for may.

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I'm getting behind lately. This nice weather makes me want to spend hours walking outside instead of sitting at the computer when I'm not at work. I have done more cardio lately cause of it, which might help my June and July goals, as I want to get the deficit going better so I can do a mini bulk for the October meet, but weight hasn't been cooperating lately. Goal is to stay in the 132 weight class, so I need to get enough below it to not go over when bulking. Challenges but I'll get it figured out after LA.

I walked last night. Today will be a very short cashier shift and gym. I am filming a deadlift session for youtube. I wanted to get to 2xbw but that's not happening. Last time I did deadliest, I failed at 245. I also walked over 20,000 steps that day, part of which was the 8 hour work shift but part was the long walk beforehand. Hoping to be better fueled and such for this one. Video will be up tomorrow before I leave for the airport.

And it's long vacation time. Woot! Last shift tonight then I am on vacation, paid days for the most part too. Plus, I'm asking manager about having my one shift after I get back to be covered by someone else. I was going to fly in on Monday, cashier Tuesday, then have Wednesday off (it's my normal day off so she just didn't schedule me to work to keep things normal-ish). Coworker offered to take my Tuesday shift. He also offered to drive me to the airport if I didn't want to leave my car in long-term, economy lot, which was nice though I prefer to drive myself there. Will be great having like 8 days off, if the one manager okays it. I'll have my tablet though, plus phone and plan to film clips of trip for youtube cause going to places like Barbell Brigade. I'll be around just in spurts cause vacation. :-D
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Long day. Got the deadlift done though later than usual since I had to go to another store after we closed to do a paper trade. Did some squats to warm up.

Squat 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95 and 3x5 @ 135

Deadlift 1x6 @ 135, 1x3 @ 185, 1x1 @ 225 and 1x1 @ 250 (with belt and extras)

Will have youtube video up tomorrow from the session. Have to get it over to computer and combined. Still have to pack, shower and such. Need everything in car by morning as on my first vacation day, I'm going to work 3 hours morning shift. Fun times but I did volunteer cause coworker is having some home troubles. Going to work a few hours then head up to the airport to start my vacation.
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    @DawnEmbers have a great vacation! A nice 8-day break sounds amazing! And great job on the 250-lb deadlift. Wow! That is pretty close to 2x body weight, right?

Today I did SL Workout B. Also rode my bike to the gym for the first time in the morning. It was pretty cold at 6am but I feel better about life when I bike commute to work. Had to pack my lunch and clothes so I was feeling proud, hehe.

Squats: 5x5@90lb
    OHP: 4/5/5/3/5 @ 45lb. Ughhh, I hope I can get this eventually. Not that I'm eager to increase. My strength is so unpredictable on each set. That set of 3 was so hard the whole time.
    DL: 1x5 @ 125lb. Sad I had to deload on this but next time I will definitely be lifting bodyweight! Woohoo!

Happy hump day!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    7.5 mile bike ride that I so very eloquently wiped out on. Damages seem to be relatively minor I guess (some little aches popping up in odd spots - like my inner thigh and outer bicep - both on the right side of my body). I really hope I can lift tomorrow, I don't want to miss a workout!! Stupid slick turn! Dang it.

137h0zmuo0q4.png
  • inka912
    inka912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    if you got any physio-kinesaesthetic aftercare following your surgery maybe check in with whoever that is for specific assistance/rehab that could be helpful to you. and if you don't mind a suggestion: if the rack is not free, skip the smith machine and see what you can do with goblet squats or anything else with a free weight. smith machines are absolutely no use for anything except maybe giving yourself the perfect bar height to do chinup and pullup work from without having to drag stepladders around or jump like a cricket to try and reach the regular people's handles.

as a short little person who intends to live the rest of her life without jumping, i'll admit that they are pretty terrific for that :D
    Thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely take it :) I'd rather do dumbbell squat or leg press or anything really. Wanted to try that machine out, I did, never again :wink:
    I had my surgery a few years ago (herniated disc) and the pain still bothers me every now and then. I'll go have it checked again as soon as possible. Until then I've been doing whatever I could to minimize that pain. And really, I feel a lot better since I've started SL :smile:

Today:
    SQ 1x5 50lbs & 4x5 65lbs
    BP 5x55lbs
    ROW 5x55lbs

Plus cardio - 30 min stationary bike.
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Wednesday's work out
    Week 4/Day 11/Workout A/ Total Weeks - 4

Squats
    2x5 @ 45lbs
    1x3 @ 65lbs
    5x5 @ 95lbs!! Taking 2-3 min rests now

Bench Press
    2x5 @ 45lbs
    5x5 @ 70lbs

Row
    2x5 @ 65lbs didn't call for a warm-up, but I needed one.
    5x5 @ 90lbs. I have my fractional plates, in case I need them. This is the hardest lift for me.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    inka912 wrote: »
    I'll go have it checked again as soon as possible.

i think that's a good idea. time invested in form and safety is rarely wasted, ime.

i did bench and squats today, so all my week-3 slots are filled in. still going to repeat the deadlift and press on trainer day, but i feel good knowing that i've gotten the other two lifts off the list. both were 65/75/80 pounds, and i got 4 on the amrap for both. i'm still slightly trailing what i have down in my sheet as the 'training' squat weight, so my work weights are trailing a little as well. but getting the four reps was encouraging.

accessories: rows 3x8@60, 4 negative pullups, 3x5 kb goblet squats with 35lb. plus the y's and the t's and the band pulls, ofc.

yay, rest now until late on friday!

• ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I built up courage to do OHP last week with weight plates on. I ended up doing 5x5 at 55lbs. The bar and two 5 plates. I had already tried out the bar before that point. Still a bit scared to try squats. But I may with an empty bar. My knees give me problems from time to time with bodyweight squats so it's something I'm scared of doing wrong and injuring myself. When I get back from my weekend getaway I will see if I can schedule my free training session and get some tips, pointers and help with the form.
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I built up courage to do OHP last week with weight plates on. I ended up doing 5x5 at 55lbs. The bar and two 5 plates. I had already tried out the bar before that point. Still a bit scared to try squats. But I may with an empty bar. My knees give me problems from time to time with bodyweight squats so it's something I'm scared of doing wrong and injuring myself. When I get back from my weekend getaway I will see if I can schedule my free training session and get some tips, pointers and help with the form.

Have you tried watching some of Alan Thrall 'How To' videos on YouTube? He does a good job explaining proper form and how to avoid common injuries.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ow, Ow, Ow, @Deena_Bean that looks nasty! Hope it heals quickly for you :-)

@ShrinkinMel, yes definitely get some help for your squats, having the right form will make all the difference for you!

@lwhayes820 wow! 95lb squats! :)

Was with my old trainer from when I first started in the gym today, she was kind of enough to help me with form checks. Happy to say she had me tweak a couple small things, but overall everything is good :-) So more or less I did both SL's A & B, but nothing to report!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Ouch Deena_Bean! I hope you are not too sore today.

I lifted last night...

SQ 5X5 @57.5kgs ready to move up again on this one.

BP 5X5 @40kgs still tough

B ROWS 5X5 @42.5 kgs...fairly sure this is back to where I was pre-hip pain, so pleased with that.

And I think I am seeing some definition peeking though in my Abs.....
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    The pains in the photo are not bad today, but my upper, outer right arm is sore. I know I contorted some (fell to the left and my right hand caught a lot of the weight). I lifted this morning, despite the pain there and it seems ok so far. Lucky! I'm so glad I didn't break any parts (like my wrists!).

Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x120
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x70
    Dead: 1x5x135

No warmup today, tired and that sore arm won't love things like planks and push-ups. This much I know. Overall the muscles used in the regular lifts didn't seem to interfere with where the pain in that arm is. So yay?
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Well, tonight was different. Went with sister and one of her friends to a "beginner's" hip-hop type class. I am not a dancer at all. So yeah, I sucked at it but oh well. I tried. Though I think the shoes I got from goodwill are designed for trail running and didn't help with the quick step dancing, plus my right foot has been acting up lately so it didn't care for my attempts at fast stepping. Got to wear the outfit my sister gave me though. She got me fitness leggings from a place called Lucy for Christmas (yes, i just got my christmas present, lol). And she saw a lululemon top I tried on a while ago and found one for me in a purple color. Tomorrow is a music event with alternative rock groups, so that will be fun and Saturday we lift at barbell brigade.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    lwhayes820 wrote: »

Have you tried watching some of Alan Thrall 'How To' videos on YouTube? He does a good job explaining proper form and how to avoid common injuries.

Yeah I've watched a bunch but want feedback as I'm doing it.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Dawn, that sounds fun! Sometimes I think these things are MUCH better when you have no idea what you are doing!!

I went to the gym before work today but could get nowhere near the squat rack, so will do my SL stuff tomorrow instead.

Today I just winged it and did a load of dumbbell and kettlebell exercises as follows (not in this order)

Overhead Triceps extension - 3 x 8 @ 10 kgs db
    Kettlebell 2 hand swings - 5 x 10 @ 16kg kb
    Front squats 1 x 10 @12kg kb, 2 x 10 @ 16kg kb
    Incline press 3 x 5 @10kg dumbells (ie 20kg lifts), 1 x 5 @ 12 kg dbs (ie 24kg lifts)
    Dumbell chest press - 1 x 8 @ 12 kgs, 3 x 8 @ 14kg, 1 x 4 @ 16 kgs (ie total 24, 28 and 32kgs)
    Bulgarian Split Squats - 3 x 8 @ 12 kgs kb each leg
    Lat pull downs - 3 x 8 @ 33kgs
    Seated Rows - 3 x 8 @ 33kgs

And of course, typically, once I had run out of time before needing to get showered and to work, the squat rack came free.....oh well, I did a reasonable workout in its place. The squat rack will welcome me tomorrow instead!

• scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    @Deena_Bean Ow! Can you lift your arm over your head? I always think I'm fine, and then I try to wash my hair...
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »
    @Deena_Bean Ow! Can you lift your arm over your head? I always think I'm fine, and then I try to wash my hair...

I can lift it over my head, but that's when it hurts the most. So weird. Feeling a little better today...we'll see how the lifts go tomorrow for the bench/row. I'll stop if it's troublesome, but I'm hopeful...
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Walked 2.5 miles outside this morning. It felt sort of boring/useless, but my body parts aren't agreeable with exertion from the fall. So there was no running or riding happening today...even with the walk my beat up knee started to get grumpy about halfway through. It'll be nice to be healed up...lifts tomorrow if everything feels up to it :)
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    @kimiuzzell - It can be fun that way, when you have no clue. Dancing classes like that for me tend to mostly feel awkward, though would have been better with proper shoes cause foot pain is a tad annoying in a dance class. I guess some backup dancers and use the dance studio and teach some of the classes and people wanting to be dancers go there too, as this is LA.

@pezhed - Thanks and yes, getting close to 2xbw but not quite there. I'm hoping to hit it at 260 but need to get my bw to 130 for that to work. I've been weighing between 132-136 for a couple of months now. After the vacation I will buckle down more on the deficit.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's workout:
    Squat 5x5 @ 110 lb
    Bench 5x5 @ 65 lb
    Row - totally messed up. Maybe like 2 or 3 at 80... and then I realized I was doing it wrong... super wrong... and I tried 65... and that didn't work either... so I'm starting from scratch again on rows, which stinks.