May you never miss a deadlift and drop it on the floor - daily checkin for may.

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    deloaded deadlifts. 80/75/90, all 5's, no amrap.

accessory: rows, pulldowns, more just-the-bar squats, shoulder health drills.

i feel kind of sad about being in such crappy shape for this deload week, because i was looking forward to feeling spectacular and being able to use it purely for form purposes. hasn't really worked out because #crappyshape and #cantreallyfeelformwhileincrappyshape, but i don't think it's been a total loss either so eh.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    deloaded deadlifts. 80/75/90, all 5's, no amrap.

accessory: rows, pulldowns, more just-the-bar squats, shoulder health drills.

i feel kind of sad about being in such crappy shape for this deload week, because i was looking forward to feeling spectacular and being able to use it purely for form purposes. hasn't really worked out because #crappyshape and #cantreallyfeelformwhileincrappyshape, but i don't think it's been a total loss either so eh.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Home but don't work for a few days. I do need to get ready for the 10k, which is Saturday. I decided to lift today instead of run, so tomorrow will be my last run before the race. Then I'll lift upper body Thursday. I have a general idea for new program but need to figure it out. Also, have a possible schedule for lifting/running. But things could change because boss is supposed to put in my transfer request and if it goes through, I don't know when the move will happen. eeek

Today's lifting:

low bar squats 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 3x6 @ 135
    good morning 3x10 @ 95
    one arm db row 3x8 @ 35
    sumo deadlift 1x6 @ 135 and 3x5 @ 185
    face pull 3x8 @ 70

Then elliptical for 20 minutes. Now I'm just doing online stuff and later will go home for foods plus need to do laundry.
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    lwhayes820 wrote: »
    Just finished week 1 of Strong Curves. It is a big mental shift, going from my beloved heavier weights, to lighter weights with more reps and supersets. I feel nice and sore, have felt like I can already engage my glutes better, and still have the strength-training hangries, all of which is a good sign in my mind. Plus, the sessions are shorter. Even with a long warmup and switching off with my husband, we're still wrapping everything up in about an hour. I am glad that I did stronglifts before this though, as the fundamentals of those lifts have done so much to help me learn how to properly do all these different exercises. Plus, you need a lost less equipment than for SC.

How long did you do SC before switching? Did you stop seeing results? Do you have a goal weight? If so, how close are you? I'm curious because I've been reading the book and thinking it might be good to incorporate at least some of the hip thrust moves.

I did SL for over two years, modifying eventually to a 3x5 to save time. I've also had a few months where I lessened lifting (cutting down to two days a week) in order to indulge something else I wanted to do, like indoor rock climbing, or running training to do obstacle course races. I did not stop seeing results exactly, but I did stall on OHP. I think a major factor in switching was that I was getting a little bored and I also wanted to up my activity. I live in Phoenix and it becomes too hot to run in the spring and extends for a loooong summer, so I had to stop running. I also want more glute work. I carry my weight well in my *kitten*, but it tends to tense up, and I want to strengthen it to see if I can cut my poor massage therapist a break and improve my posture. :)

I lost about 15 pounds since last summer, going from 153 to 137 (I'm 5'7"). I did find a little cardio to help me with weight loss, as it gave me more calories to eat and suppressed my appetite. Weight training does the opposite for me, so I've been happy to up my calories a little. I don't really have a strict goal weight in mind, but this is probably close to it.

What I would do before incorporating the hip thrusts is the activation exercises he demonstrates. He's right. Glutes are lazy as hell.

Thank you for indulging my questions! I will try the activation exercises first. Thanks again.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see this thread so busy! I've still be doing Stronglifts but have scaled back on the kettlebell workouts as I was getting really tired. I'm also taking a week off counting calories to just reset my head a bit. It's been pretty stressful lately with various things and I just needed to take something off my plate. I'm trying not to go too overboard, but not having the best success at that.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    sorry to see it has been a stress time, @ninenines - I've been using the kettlebells more as an alternative workout when I can't get anywhere close to the squat rack at the gym (which is becoming more and more frequent!).

Last night we planned on going to the gym - hubby finished work before me and got there early, but text to say that he had been there 35 mins and only been able to use one piece of kit. So we scrapped that idea and I had to make do with my daily walks as my exercise for the day. bah,

Today I went before work, and managed to get on the rack, but couldn't get on the BP rack, so substituted OHP for BP and will swap over again next time.

So, today:

SQ 5x5 @ 62.5kgs
    OHP 5x5 @ 25kgs
    Row 5x5 @ 45kgs

For SQ I am now only 5kgs away from pre-injury levels and rows I have got back to my best, so am pleased with that. As for OHP, well, I go between 25 and 30kgs all the time - if I ever break that barrier I will be doing a little happy dance!

Everything else going ok, though - hip is good. I'm taking care. And I am feeling stronger again.

Happy lifting, ladies!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Today I just jogged about 3 miles at the park. Not quite a 10k but figured a run would still be good. Plus, checked out around the time I will be doing the obstacle course, 11am, and it's a tad warm. Hoping for some clouds this weekend. Also, weighed myself this morning and basically around what I was before leaving. Been trying to get below 130 but sitting mostly between 132-136 (monthly cycle caused a bit of a spike this month). Today I was at 134 so not bad post vacation.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    fighting the pec minor thing. or the tspine thing. or the scalene thing, or whatever the photon it is.

either way, i did my remaining deload lifts today. press 25/30/40, except there are no 25 bars in rec centres so i just did 30/30/45 because i didn't feel like looking for 5lb plates to put on the 30lb bar and the rack bar was free. and squats, of course, yet more squats.

couldn't sort out the kink so i did about ten sets with the bar, trying to. and in the end i still didn't add weight. just not going to until i can consistently squat without feeling that kink. i don't bloody care if that's the rest of my life.

in un[?]related news, i wish it weren't so hard to get a trigger-point ball on the traps. i know you can pinch them etc etc, but there's just something about a lax ball.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Skipped cardio yesterday but lifting today.
    Squats: 2x5x45, 2x3x75, 5x5x120
    Bench: 2x5x45, 5x5x85
    Row: 5x5x85

Bumped the bench/row up 5 today finally. Felt ok, a little hard but not excessively. I'm toying with bumping the squats...hm.
  • inka912
    inka912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Week 4 day 2

SQ 2x5 @ 45lbs, 5x5 @ 75lbs
    OHP 5x5 @ 45lbs
    DL 1x5 110lbs, it sucked though, it really did :neutral:

Barbell curls 2x8 @ 35lbs
    Seated calf raises 2x8 @ 50lbs
    Captain's chair leg raise 2x8

And 45 min elliptical.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    SL's B

Squat: 45lbs 2x5, 75lbs 5x5

OHP: 45lbs 5x5

DL: 45lbs 1x5, 95lbs 1x3, 130lbs 1x5, 135lbs 1x3!!! Yay!! I was so close I figured I'd go for it :# I hate having to drag plates over to stack to make up the difference and now I don't have to do it anymore!!!
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Last nights lifts:

Squats: 8x5 @ 135 lbs
    OHP: 5x5 @ 65 lbs
    Deadlift: 5x5 @ 135
    Stiff Leg: 5x5 @ 40 lbs

Next workout planned for tomorrow (Depending on the weather)

Congrats @ 5minty on your DL PR!! :)
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Today was one of those days where I wanted to do absolutely nothing at all. It cooled down outside but we had a fan going all night in the window, which made the apartment very chilly and giving no desire to get out of the comfy, warm bed. I didn't want to work out and considered skipping, but after dropping off a couple of things at goodwill, I went to the gym anyways.

random upper body

bench press 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 3x5 @ 95 - been a while since I had done bench
    seated row 3x8 @ 80
    cable bicep curl 3x8 @ 60
    tricep pushdown 3x10 @ 70
    pallof press 3x10 @ 40

Now to do stuff on computer at starbucks though my netbook is struggling to do anything. It doesn't like my earrbuds right now so watching youtube on my phone while I type this. I've noticed lately that I have been sore more from the last couple of weeks of lifting. I also haven't had bcaas, hmmm. Might need to remedy that. Didn't do cardio since tomorrow is freight day at work and Saturday is the 10k. I still need to do laundry. Had days off from work but the roommates have had stuff in the washer and dryer the whole time. Hopefully I can get it done tonight along with a little cooking. Cause yay food. I'm focusing a little more on carbs this week, not a ton but just getting enough and of course that protein. Pre-race my little carb boost is just veggies and breads. I don't care that much for pasta and can't have some of the types that involve dairy like pizza. So, I do a little more bread. Plus, I have a discount email for a deal on bagels for this weekend. Yay bagels!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hello,

I'm new here. This is my second day of Stronglifts 5x5 and I did Workout B.

Squat @ 50 lbs for 5x5
    OHP @ 45 for 4x5 (Missed one last rep for one of the sets)
    Deadlift @ 95 for 1x5 (I actually only did it at 65 lbs but I was really unsure about my deadlift form. I asked someone to assist me at the gym. Will try again in a few days)

Edited to Add: I have been lifting for about four months now but didn't use a program. I really wish I had started this earlier.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Welcome aboard Samantha!

I went to the gym before work this morning and it was, once again, packed. Couldn't get the squat rack, so did endless front squats with a 20kg kettlebell instead, plus single leg deadlifts.

Then the rack came free when I really should have been winding things up, but as it has been so difficult getting on it at all, I decided to jump in and take my chance. Sadly, my hammies had decided that doing all those kettlebell squats was really quite enough (I did 140 reps, so fair-do's!) and I failed at my "proper" squats.

Still, I gave it a go and came away with the following:

SQ 3/5/4/0/0 @ 60kgs

BP 5x5 @40kgs

DL 1x5 @ 75kgs - was pleased with that one as it is only 2.5kgs off where I was before I got injured. Is also slightly over my BW, so I am now looking forward to increasing that.

So, slightly frustrating session, but my muscles are certainly aware that they have worked. I'm getting used to making the most of the other kit (especially the kettlebells and lat pull down machine) if I can't do what I want to do. Previously I would have been lost at the fact I couldn't get on the squat rack and would have done a very substandard workout instead.

I've got a ball to go to tomorrow - in a dress that was previously in danger of not doing up or letting me sit down.....THAT will be my real test of progress!!!
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym tonight and managed to squeeze in a workout before having to pick up my kids. Here are my stats from tonight :smile:

Squats 5x5 135 lbs
    Bench 5x5 85 lbs
    Row 5x5 90 bs
    Thigh abductor machine 3x10 167 lbs

I measured myself today for the first time in about 6 months and I have gained weight, mostly around my waist so I'm going to have to change up my eating journal. I'm doing something wrong and I have to figure out what :(
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Week 5/ Day 14/ Total Weeks 5 (Wednesday)
    Today's workout SL B

Squats:2x5 - 45lbs, 3x75lbs - Warmup; 5x5 110lbs - Worked on keeping my back straight and core tight as I descend and stand. Stretched during the rest periods.

OHP:2x5 45lbs - Warmup;
    First time I didn't make a lift! Did 75lbs @ 2x4, then decided deload when I couldn't complete the lift even after the recommended 4-5 min rest time. I went to 72.5lbs for the remaining sets and completed 4/3/5. The program recommends increasing weight even though I didn't make the lift. I was planning to stay at 72.5 lbs for another week or so.
    1x5 @ 150 lbs - This went okay. I can definitely feel all muscles and everything working at this weight. Felt no compulsion to do more than this. :#

Week 5/ Day 15/ Total Weeks 5 (Friday)
    Today's workout, SL A

Squats:45lbs 2x5, 3x75 lbs Warmup
    Workout 115lbs - 5x5 Working on breathing and keeping back straight and tight.

Bench Press:2x5 @ 45lbs Warmup
    Workout 80lbs 5x5- No real issues with this lift. Only 90 sec rests. This is an improvement.

Row:100lbs 5x5 - Not my least favorite lift. Going better, form is good and feeling those back muscles.

Had a busy work week - little sleep - sacrificed cardio this week. Plus, felt somewhat drained after lifts this week - maybe lack of sleep - maybe just getting harder?? Will keep perverting.

Have a good weekend everyone!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Day 3 - Workout A

Squat - 55lbs for 5x5
    Bench - 50 lbs for 5x5
    Barbell Row - 50 lbs for 5x5

Happy to have hit them all today. But the bench was a struggle. Maybe just a mental fear of the bench press in general. Trying to keep my eye on the prize!

Happy Saturday!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Managed to get the squat rack today!!! That was an achievement in itself!!

SQ 5X5 @ 62.5 kgs. Good form throughout so did 1x3 @ 65kgs in readiness for next week. I got up to 5X5 @67.5kgs pre injury so almost there!!

BP 5/5/5/4/4 @ 42.5kgs. Equals my previous best but had to do the roll of shame as I couldn't squeeze the last rep out!

Row 5X5 @ 47.5 kgs. A new PR **does happy dance** will stick here for a while but excited about hitting 50kgs.

Plus some decent accessories and 2 miles on the crosstrainer.

Off to a ball tonight... The dress is hanging up ready!!!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I am tired and sore, plus a little cold though much better than before. The terrain race was interesting overall and I did get my wish in it being not hot and humid but weather went the other way. Brrr so cold plus all the mud and water involved. Had a struggle in figuring out what to wear cause didn't have appropriate long sleeves or anything like that. We'll see if my under armour jacket will handle the cleaning needed cause it got super dirty.

It was the type where it was okay if you couldn't do an obstacle along the way, didn't hinder anything. The obstacles varied but included wood walls to climb over (some too tall for me to reach up to even attempt at pulling myself over), sliding down mud then getting through pools of water, ducking under things, climbing ropes up a wall or across things or up a rope to ring a bell, and such. I skipped a few walls, or ducked under cause really, if they didn't want me to go under the board, get the bottom closer to the ground. I did get all of the rope climbs, even got up the rope to ring the bell both times through as the 10k version was just running the course twice.

My whole body was tired after the run. Arms were sore from ones that required upper body strength, like pulling my body up a rope, and my legs were sore from everything. Even my fingers and hands are a little tender from it all. I also bruised up my shins and knees. Have a knot on the left one above the knee so that will bruise and ache for a while.

It was fun, though I think would be better with a small group. I might do another again some day. We'll see. Now to hope I don't get a cold from doing it all in the chilly weather. Have too much going on in the next few weeks.