What's your motivation?

Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    becwana wrote: »
    In my early 20's I was tiny - I weighed around 105lbs with no effort at all. When I got to my mid 20's my weight roller coastered like crazy. I was on and off every diet going. I started suffering with constant heartburn, acid reflux, trapped wind, constipation and generally feeling like poo!
    I was diagnosed with borderline under active thyroid a few years ago.At my heaviest I was 196lbs - when I became pregnant with my son at 34, I was 188lbs. I was put on an 'obesity care pathway' for my maternity care because my BMI was over 30 and referred to a 'weight management during pregnancy' group. I had to be weighed at every single appointment. I was under consultant led care because of my thyroid and my weight. It was humiliating and I felt ashamed.
    After I had my son I started to take my health more seriously as I now had a little person depending on me. I had never known love or responsibility like it!!
    My brother came to visit and told me he was doing a low carb diet - I told him off as was sure it was bad for his heart!! He told me to research it - I did and started following a keto plan myself!! I started to feel amazing and lost weight with ease.
    When I became pregnant with my daughter I was 160lb and my experience was totally different - no weekly weigh ins or groups to attend! Within 2 weeks of giving birth I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight and am continuing to lose weight now. I have no digestive issues anymore.
    Sorry for waffling on but basically, my motivation is to keep feeling this amazing and to be an energetic, hands on mummy who is a good role model rather then an embarrassment to my children!

It's crazy how children change EVERYTHING, isn't it?
    It's a trial, but also an enormous blessing.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I was completely addicted to sugar. I had candy hidden in the house and my car and I would sneak off to eat it where no one could see.

This was so beautiful to read.
    I was addicted to mocha coffee. Having not had coffee for 22 years, I started again, and struggled not to have one every day. Seems tame enough, except that I'm intolerant to milk, and I don't tolerate sugar well, nor caffeine.

Yet I struggled off and on over nearly 2 years, and each time I'd get into mocha, I'd also eat gluten (also intolerant) or eat out more, thinking well other people do this, sure I can. Appendicitis one year (new years in hospital), pneumonia the next new years.. both just after relatively small, but none the less, dangerous indulgences at Christmas. This recent new years, I had the sense not to do that, but year after year my weight just yo yo'd, always ending higher than before the last diet episode.
    This summer however my adult daughter had experienced a number of very distressing things, and for the first time in her life had gained about 15 kg / 33lb. And I struggled to know what to say because I myself have been a poor role model.
    Not so much the last 15 years, I eat pretty well with indulgences that non intolerant healthy people would not consider so terrible.. I'd done the damage decades ago. I felt responsible, and I also, for the first time, wondered if she felt embarrassed about me, or lacking in respect toward me.. All of that broke me.

So after a few weeks of feeling a little paralysed, I realised the only thing to do was take charge of my life. To be the change I want to see in her. To be the person she is proud of. To be a model of someone who can take charge and regain a healthy body. To be a person to whom she can turn for advice. To feel like have earnt the right to offer guidance and support.. and above all of that, to be the person I know I can be, and enjoy my own life, and enjoy my time with her. [In these last months, she has taken charge in a very sensible way, of reclaiming her body and life, and I am on the way]
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    These are all soooooo beautiful to read. I think I will book mark this for a day when I want to feel all the poignant reasons I want to keep eating like a love myself, moving like I love myself.

I might say something about this on the over 40 , over 75lb to lose thread- for some of us it is a long journey. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10378503/over-40-over-75lb-to-lose-365-days-committment-to-logging#latest
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    At my highest, September, 2014 I was 176 lbs. That's when I met my fiance. I guess he liked who I was as a person and not the outside. I never really thought of myself then as the way I feel now about how I was then. Thinking back on how I looked and what I ate totally disgusts me. I have learned so much here with all of you and am amazed and motivated by all your stories and successes. I guess for me it must have been pure vanity. Didn't like the way I looked or felt and wanted my man to be proud to be seen with me. I will be 59 next month so really no chance of ever putting on a swim suit again and I haven't worn shorts in many years, but I am starting to feel more comfortable with my body and how my clothes fit.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    No wild motivations now. I have gotten I shape and hit lots of milestones as far as fitness challenges and things I wanted to do

Now I'm just competing against myself and seeing how fit I can get. It is just a lifestyle and not a goal really

I would like to have a better defined abdomen. But I know how to do it, just a matter of want to.

Living a long life where I can do those things I enjoy, that is motivation. Pretty simple.

Low carb and a steady diet of swimming, running, and cycling works for me.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Bumping for @Leanbean65
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Just received kind of a happy/sad reminder of why I keep fighting to regain my health. My stepfather was stopping through the area en route to help his sister move (TX to KS), and he was picking up some furniture that had been my grandfather's. I got a nice little surprise when my mom made the trip with him, as I haven't seen her in a couple years (at my Grandmother's funeral). It was great because I've missed her like crazy, but it was so hard to see her limited mobility and pain (complications of auto-immune diabetes, beginnings of arthritis, and goodness only knows what else!)... She needed help to get back down two steps. Her knees/joints are that hard on her any more. She sees the progress I've made and regained, but it's still not enough for her to take that leap of faith and start cutting her carbs down at all... I just have to keep living the lifestyle, keep making progress, and hope that one day, before it's too late, that she'll be willing to try my way. Smiles and tears, man...smiles and tears.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Started eating lower carb 13 months ago to support my SO whose doctor told him he should do Atkins. While I wasn't going to keto levels, I was amazed at how good I felt. I dropped 20+ pounds which was an added bonus.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    1) To lose the last bit of pregnancy weight. And to have energy. I was doing flexible dieting for several months and it was just too frustrating and I was constantly hungry. With LCHF it's so easy to manage cravings and hunger and even though the weight loss is slow (for me!) I'm at least not gaining. I'm able to have energy and not feel hungry during my workouts (lifting and hiit) either. That wasn't the case before.
    2) T2D runs in my family. Just taking preventative measures
    3) hoping to motivate, and be an example to, my hubby. He has a lot to lose and I think he'll eventually be on board.
    4) this is the best woe I've ever done. It makes sense and it's easy. That motivates me to keep going because even flexible dieting was so time consuming for some reason. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @genmon00 that is a truly surreal thought for me. I take 1 medication a day and I have reduced it so far and it's for ADHD. I cannot fathom having real health concerns that threaten my life to contend with. You are a super hero! For real! Congrats in your finding a better way to live!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thank you @Sunny_Bunny_ ! You long time keto-ers are MY heros and models. Thank you for sharing your wisdom with all of us newbies :-)
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    @genmon00 that is a truly surreal thought for me. I take 1 medication a day and I have reduced it so far and it's for ADHD. I cannot fathom having real health concerns that threaten my life to contend with. You are a super hero! For real! Congrats in your finding a better way to live!

I am loving the sound of this - my son has a lot of neurological conditions and I am considering putting him on this woe too - he is open to the idea - I am hoping it will improve things for him too - He has Tourettes, ADHD and Developmental Coordination Disorder so will be great if we can ease the symptoms for him naturally
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @Kathrout1973, I would have him on LCHF in a heart beat! Wouldn't it be wonderful if you saw improvements with his conditions that eased his suffering some? It would be hard to cheer that loud in a forum like this, but I would!!!