What's your motivation?

Options

Replies

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    My motivation has changed over time. Started out with vanity, then health and fitness, now "living well is the best revenge." Haha. It might change again, who knows. Variety is the spice of life, right pals?
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    - Lose my double chin I've gained over the last year.
    - Look good in a bikini again (vanity!).
    - Feel totally 100% confident naked, and in general in my own skin.
    - Have more energy.
    - Not be a slave to food.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have a whole host of good reasons to do LC but I let doubters and naysayers and family food pushers talk me out of it more than once. I can't say what my motivation was this time around but sometime during the month of March I felt a click. I'm tired of the way I feel, the way I look, not being able to keep up with my family during hikes (something I truly love to do), not being able to sit comfortably at church, tired of diabetes getting worse, and so on. The ONLY thing that has ever worked for me in weight loss and diabetes is LC and I just decided to start again. This time I don't care what everyone says and I don't care if my family has to adjust. I've adjusted often enough for them because I don't want to "cause trouble" yet I'm causing myself a lot of grief. I'm done with all of that and made the switch to keto and so far its pretty easy- I find I don't need motivation now.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    In 2003 I went on Atkins after my older brother was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, that scared me & I worked hard & lost 60lbs. Over the years I've stayed relatively low carb/Paleo but the weight started creeping back on. Then earlier this year my older sister was diagnosed with diabetes as well and that scared the heck outta me even more! I knew if I ignored the carb creep I'd be next. So I started Keto March 8 and that's that. This is my lifestyle now. No more fooling myself about a glass of fruit juice or just a little bit of honey in my tea. My system is too sensitive & genetics are against me. But I'm so happy & comfortable on Keto & I know it's sustainable.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    1. To retain mobility as I age
    2. To keep off joint pain
    3. To look awesome
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The Push: Having a dr. tell me I was too high risk due to uncontrolled blood sugar to have surgery to repair my abdominal muscles due to diastasis recti.

Motivation 1: getting off T2D medications and controlling my Diabetes. -DONE !!

2: My kids- I want to be healthy so I can participate in our lives and not just spectate. -ACTIVELY In progress

3: Not being mistaken for pregnant (a large part of this is the diastasis recti) I carry my weight in my middle. It is humiliating and I'm so done explaining it. - SEEING some changes for the better.

What do I want now: to be healthy and FIT.

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    This was my chart from May 15th through Nov in 2015. Guess where I am again? Yup. 177 this morning.
    I did it before, I guess I can do it again. ARG. Don't fit into anything. And I was really starting to see progress.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    At 16 I was diagnosed with "such classic PCOS I should be in a text book". I took a handfull of medications throughout my teens and 20s. Went off BC and got INSTANTLY pregnant. I really mean that. Like the day I quit taking the pill I got pregnant. Everyone was shocked....even my husband and I who wanted kids. Same thing happened when I had my second child. INSTANTLY PREGNANT.

After the birth of my boys I wasn't interested in taking a handful of meds anymore (metformin, something for blood pressure, something for hair growth and acne) I felt all of them were 'vanity" meds and not really necessary. I have never been diagnosed as IR but with PCOS it's there at some level for sure. I've never been diagnosed as Pre-diabetic or Diabetic. I had a great gynecologist who one day said "you know, you should just stay under 35g carbs a day i bet that would help you a lot".

I gave the dr's advice a try and HOLY CRAP did it work for me. I lost about 40 lbs quickly and thought. Oh, ok I can go back to normal now. I did and HOLY CRAP did I gain that 40 and a few of its friends back quickly. So, I did LCHF again and didn't learn my lesson. I lost about 30 lbs and thought ok I can quit "dieting" ....we all know what happened. So this time I quit worrying about doing LCHF the "right" way and I do it my way. It's a lifestyle. It's not a diet. It's something I'm doing for myself.

12/31/16 When my little one said "momma come play with us" and I gave him some lame excuse I realized I didn't like getting down on the floor cause 1) it hurt and 2) it was hard to get up and I wasn't playing with my kids or doing the things they wanted me to do WITH them because my weight was in the way. So January 1 2017 I decided to quit feeling sorry for myself that my "diets" didn't work and decided o focus on my own health for the long term.

I'm a formerly trained athlete. I've completed several tri-athlons I want to do that again. I want to fit into the clothes that line my closet that are 1) out of syle now but 2) were fracking expensive damnit. And mostly, I want to run with my kids, I want to ride bikes with them, I want to swim with them, and get down on the floor to color, play transformers, build trains and watch movies with them.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @Seajolly stated mine above. Not be a slave to food. Eating very low carb certainly makes maintenance much easier for me. Cravings gone. Hunger gone. It really is amazing how little interest I have in food now. I eat. I just don't over eat.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It has been a few years of enjoying being fit by exercise and a lower carb diet.

I became more active and made those activities part of my normal life.

Enjoying life is fun in and of itself. Doing so by being more active perpetuates success.

I would like to live to enjoy many more decades of fun life! Seeing people with so many lifestyle related health issues that start even in their 20's is a great reminder to not take anything for granted
  • _tierachanel
    _tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My Las Vegas trip that I'm taking in 3 months. I've never been so motivated in my life! :D
    I refuse to be poolside and feel uncomfortable and embarrassed about how I look.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Don't people know you are not supposed to ask about pregnancy or a due date unless there is actually a baby falling out?

I always responded with "I'm not pregnant, just fat" which makes any decent human being apologize profusely for their comment/question...still kind of amazes me that it happens so often though...

and now for something completely different...I love reading these!!!
  • mmultanen
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me what people feel entitled to ask.
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just tell people it's "leftovers" from my baby. They get embarrassed and all apologetic. I act like it doesn't bother me when in truth it makes me feel awful.
  • mmultanen
    Options
    A guy asked my friend in the store when her baby was due. She looked right at him and said "oh I had my baby". He acted all shocked and said oh how exciting how old is your baby? She looked him right in the eye again and said "he's 6" and then just waited to see what he would say next. He mumbled something apologetic and beat it out of there fast.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I know we all have those days when things get tough. I thought it might be nice to have a thread to remind ourselves why we're making an effort to eat the right foods for our body.

So, what's your motivation or inspiration for improving your health?

Mobility has been my biggest motivation. I moved to Scotland two years ago and have missed out on so much exploration because my mobility was impacted by my weight. If you couldn't get there by car, I've missed out.

One of the things I've wanted to do is walk up The Royal Mile to get to Edinburgh Castle. 60+ lbs down, I'm ready to give it a shot soon.

Hey, I have done that mile! Go for it. Lovely walk.

My motivations are:
    To enjoy my retirement, I want to travel to even more places than I have already, the bucket list is a long one.

I also have a mother and half sister who have had cancer, I hope to dodge that bullet by eating healthy, they don't.

My husband is T2D, he bounces between being diabetic and being pre-diabetic, so I have to set a good example for him and know how to cook foods that will benefit his health and mine.

I used to be the smallest sized of the 3 sisters, I want to be that again (sibling rivalry & vanity in that one)

To hike the Rockies all day instead of an hour or so, we live on the Front Range and I love mountain hiking.

I don't like pain eating 40/30/30 and taking fish oil helped with that over the years but eating LCHF also seems to be helping even when I forget the fish oil.

To not be hungry all the time, that is where LCHF really stands out for me. Heck, I have started doing fasting. Gives me lots of energy and I forget about food, I am so busy doing other things, it doesn't even cross my mind.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me what people feel entitled to ask.

A friend asked me once, "[So and so] was wondering if you were doing ok or whether you might have Crohn's or something, and I said I think he's trying to live more healthy."

I thought that was great. They must have been concerned when I started losing weight and started ordering liquor or water instead of beer at the bar, and she actually took pains to pretend that a positive explanation was also a serious candidate.

I mean, how can you phrase the basic question, "WTF is up with you losing weight and not drinking beer" in a benign and tactful way?

PS. The confession, "we were worried you had cancer," after I'd explained what I was up to, while well-intended, somehow didn't quite hit the mark...
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Zuzurillo wrote: »
    Motivation?
    Complete and utter vanity. Narcissistic compulsion to still be the belle of the ball ( well, at least in a ballroom full of old people) Feels so naughty to say that out loud LOL!

Your profile pic..... Prom? Debutante?