Skinny people shouldn't give fat people weight loss advice.

Options
1234568»

Replies

• kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thank you, @KnitOrMiss for your support and for sharing your history with us (me). At the time, I didn't hate my mom for her efforts to "help" me, I just hated myself for failing. As I grew older, I did realize it was my life and battle to fight and so, here I am (again) lol.

Your posts and information on so many topics, especially hypothyroid issues, have been very helpful to me. I will probably need to pick your brain over these things in a few months when I go back to doctor to do "battle" over the thyroid tests I want done. Thanks again.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    Thank you, @KnitOrMiss for your support and for sharing your history with us (me). At the time, I didn't hate my mom for her efforts to "help" me, I just hated myself for failing. As I grew older, I did realize it was my life and battle to fight and so, here I am (again) lol.

Your posts and information on so many topics, especially hypothyroid issues, have been very helpful to me. I will probably need to pick your brain over these things in a few months when I go back to doctor to do "battle" over the thyroid tests I want done. Thanks again.

@kmn118 - I received a lot of information from @Dragonwolf, @Alliwan, @Sunny_Bunny_, and so many others. Just learning things and jumping off points for my own research. It's something I can do to continue to give back to others as those who were here before me (and still are) so generously shared with me.

I, too, felt the overwhelming sense of failure, no matter what I did - as a child, a teen, a young adult, a woman, and a woman nearly perimenopause, etc. I KNEW there had to be something else at play. I'm happy to say that while I may not have gotten to the bottom of the pile, I'm sure better off than I was a few years back...

Feel free to hit me up whenever you're ready to "go to war..." LOL Sad that we have to view it that way, but luckily, you have a wealth of information and great researchers "at the ready" here in this fabulous group!
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    A bit of a derail -

Working2BLean, not criticizing your use of carbs on your ride, but I'm wondering if you've done any reading on fat-adapted athletes? I ride road and mountain and mountaineer (much more slowly than before given the extra 45 I'm currently carrying) and am having great success doing 6+ hour rides and climbs on less than 350 calories and 8 net carbs with no loss of energy or decline in mood or mental acuity.

There's some new information out there proving that the body and brain can use ketones in place of carbs even in high intensity exercise in fat-adapted athletes.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    @Majcolorado

For my fitness , I'm using only our Fat Adapted ketones for energy, am not carb loading or concerned about raising carb grams for exercise.
    Just seem able to easily complete normal daily activities and fitness three times a week (occasionally a 5k)
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I got sleeved (VSG) a couple of years ago. I lost 75 pounds and no more. I don't know if keto will work, but I feel better on it. It's only been a month and I've had to get over the low carb, high protein, low-calorie mantra.

Here's the thing, when I was young I used to drop weight by sticking to meat and veggies. I'd broil a chicken leg and eat it with a salad for dinner. Or broil a steak. Breakfast was a bagel with cream cheese. Bagels were smaller in those days and I really loaded the cream cheese. Or it was oatmeal with some milk and raisins. Lunch was probably French onion soup, with a TON of cheese. Or a tuna fish sandwich with an apple.

not super low-carb, but also not high calorie, and filled with real food. I liked ice cream for dessert. I ate one scoop.

I called it my 'non-diet diet' and I lost weight and got lean on it. I exercised a lot, stuff I liked - roller skating, racquetball. Aerobics, because it was dancing, jazzercise, or step with fun music. Not because I 'had' to exercise, because I liked the activities.

I wasn't crippled in those days. No back issues.

Then we were being told - don't eat fat. And Snackwells were invented. And we were inhaling those things. We were told to 'carb-load', so we piled in the pasta. And I was hungry all the time. Plus, I'd had a surgery and my activity level dropped. welcome to the carbohydrate weight gain rollercoaster.

I'd have done better if I'd ignored all the hype, continued eating as I had been. My metabolism went to zero, with weird eating and restricted movement. I'm sure my gut flora was a mess no the day I got my surgery. But it was frustrating after the first 75 came off to find that 800 calories a day wasn't making me lose weight. In fact, I was eating like 1100 calories on a 'bad day' and gaining weight. That doesn't even seem possible.

So, even if I don't lose anything on keto, at least I can eat waaaayyyy more without gaining.

And I feel better. My joints don't hurt and my back is behaving pretty well.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @authorwriter While I personally have a lot of pounds I'd still love to lose, I maintain that if I never lose another pound, but continue making health gains - I'll be a happy camper. Sounds like we're in the same boat. By focusing on the health side of things and making strides there, I know that my weight stuff will eventually catch up! It can't help but to do so. LOL At least that's what I tell myself when I'm reminding myself why I don't want to obsess over the scale, etc.

Sounds like some of your older ways will help you adjust to eating this way easier, while others will require some low-carb substitutions. :) Best of luck to you.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thank you @KnitOrMiss . I think I'm pretty well adjusted. I took sweeteners out of the mix after finding a thread on it here. I wasn't using much, but I guess that little was enough. Liquid sucrolose arrived today and I decide to add it to something BY THE DROP. just a little if I really need it. I appreciate my sleeve, I really do. It provides a physical restriction to how much I can actually ingest. The fat seems to be keeping me sated, although my calorie count is twice what my bariatric nutritionists were recommending. So I'm not struggling with the water/bloating weight gain anymore. If I ever do get to goal weight, I want a bowl of oatmeal. But that's a hundred pounds away or more.
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thank you @KnitOrMiss . I think I'm pretty well adjusted. I took sweeteners out of the mix after finding a thread on it here. I wasn't using much, but I guess that little was enough. Liquid sucrolose arrived today and I decide to add it to something BY THE DROP. just a little if I really need it. I appreciate my sleeve, I really do. It provides a physical restriction to how much I can actually ingest. The fat seems to be keeping me sated, although my calorie count is twice what my bariatric nutritionists were recommending. So I'm not struggling with the water/bloating weight gain anymore. If I ever do get to goal weight, I want a bowl of oatmeal. But that's a hundred pounds away or more.

When I first started my Ketogenic life, I needed artificial sweetners to help with the cravings of sweets but soon I was not interested in them any more I do have some stevia I use from time to time but outside of that I have lost desire for sweets.

It was gradual I progressed from sugar to sweet n low then to stevia. Now I am done with it.

I don't know if this applies to what your talking about but your note made me realize I don't even use stevia any more.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    If I ever do get to goal weight, I want a bowl of oatmeal. But that's a hundred pounds away or more.

Hopefully, once you've reached your goal, a bowl of oatmeal will be about as appetizing as a glass of Drano (or maybe warm cod liver oil with glass shards in it).
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

When I first started my Ketogenic life, I needed artificial sweetners to help with the cravings of sweets but soon I was not interested in them any more I do have some stevia I use from time to time but outside of that I have lost desire for sweets.

It was gradual I progressed from sugar to sweet n low then to stevia. Now I am done with it.

I don't know if this applies to what your talking about but your note made me realize I don't even use stevia any more.

That was me too. I kept cutting back. I stopped making any low carb desserts first because I was having a problem with wanting them at least a couple times a week. I was not comfortable with that "need" feeling since I was coming from a sugar addicted state.
    Then I kept cutting back on sweetening my coffee using sugar free syrups until I just felt like I couldn't possibly enjoy my coffee with any less and again I realized that sounded like my tendency for addiction talking. So at that point, I had to quit sweetening it entirely and make myself get used to it.
    Now, I love my unsweetened coffee and even like it with a little sea salt.
    It's crazy how much our taste preferences are just mental