Options
124»

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Zenwenner wrote: »

Ahh...does make me glad I work in a profession that allows me to work remotely. I do not miss the daily inundation of sugary, carby everything (though the annual Chris Cakes pancake extravaganza at one job was a lot of fun, but I miss the bacon-wrapped water chestnuts from the Christmas party the most).

I do sometimes miss working "with people" but I don't at all miss the break rooms filled with junk. Nurses are the WORST for having junk laying around. We will eat anything sugar laden if it's in a box in the break room and not think twice about it. Whatever habit eating I'm doing at my desk at home is at least carb friendly.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    I honestly believe that they don't think people can really adhere to REAL lifestyle changes to combat diabetes. And most people won't.

Funny you mention this, @genmon00 - I got "blocked" by someone on G+ just a couple months ago for responding to a post (a friends' post, mind you) about healthy eating and my reply included a statement on how I viewed what we eat as healing or hurting (aka the whole 'food is medicine' thing, but paraphrased). So that person, before they blocked me, ranted at me about how I must be some kind of wacky person who's "Probably an anti-vaxer, too?" I think they also threw the F-bomb a couple of times. This is someone whom I'd seen around on mutual friends' posts before, for a few years, but the funny thing is, I wasn't even talking to him...and the fact that I never even mentioned anything controversial but just said that I'd been resolving health issues by monitoring what I consume more closely.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    genmon00 wrote: »
    I honestly believe that they don't think people can really adhere to REAL lifestyle changes to combat diabetes. And most people won't.

Funny you mention this, @genmon00 - I got "blocked" by someone on G+ just a couple months ago for responding to a post (a friends' post, mind you) about healthy eating and my reply included a statement on how I viewed what we eat as healing or hurting (aka the whole 'food is medicine' thing, but paraphrased). So that person, before they blocked me, ranted at me about how I must be some kind of wacky person who's "Probably an anti-vaxer, too?" I think they also threw the F-bomb a couple of times. This is someone whom I'd seen around on mutual friends' posts before, for a few years, but the funny thing is, I wasn't even talking to him...and the fact that I never even mentioned anything controversial but just said that I'd been resolving health issues by monitoring what I consume more closely.

@genmon00 & @bjwoodzy

Primarily, I would think that a lot of that is because it's hard, it's not fun AT ALL, and you have to give up nearly every food you feel like you "can't live without." We all know how hard it was to actually make the decision to make changes, to actually start those changes, and to finally get to the point of embracing - and dare I say eventually enjoying them? No only that, most diabetics are convinced by doctors, commercials, TV shows, and pretty much society - that they must take medicine, they must eat carbs, fats will give them heart disease, and the only way to managed their condition is to medicate it, that it is progressive and inevitable, and that's a sort of freedom. Most folks these days aren't used to having to work hard at something, particularly to gain only a few millimeters of progress, are used to the expectation that "it happens to everyone eventually," and that medications are the only option. Medical science has gotten to the point that to protect itself from liability, they have to suggest medications first, because 100% compliance to dietary plans doesn't happen with what, 85% of people? There's always some form of relapse or concession of complete defeat, etc.

If it were easy, everyone would do it.

Many have tried, but because they used flawed plans, they failed...and probably have lost count of the number of times they failed! And then they get caught up in that horrible, hopeless, depressed feedback loop believing that they, their lack of willpower, or just their laziness was/were the cause of the failure, never realizing they started with a flawed plan...
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad when people get "attacked" for asking anything related to low-carb. Maybe not everyone reacts the same way, but it's made a huge difference for me. I've been trying for the last year to monitor my calories and I kept gaining and gaining. Yes, I was going over my calories every day but I was craving food constantly. It was awful. Since I've started this way of eating, I don't get the cravings anymore and I feel like I have so much more control over what I eat. I don't go into that binge mode where I just shovel food into my mouth. I think the whole calories in calories out thing is true obviously but for some of us the carbs and sugar really mess with our systems.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I peeked my head into the MF the past few days (a mistake). I was looking at a thread of someone saying they want to try giving up sugar and then a few people attacking them saying "it's impossible to give up sugar, if you do, your brain will shut down. That's not a lifestyle you can sustain. You'll eventually go back to sugar and then you'll overeat it and gain all of the weight back". I had to step in and tell them about glucose and gluconeogenis, fat-adaption etc.

Plain and simple people are uneducated. But it's not necessarily their fault. I'm sure they are doing their own "research", reading cited articles and consulting online resources such as MFP. But as WE all know, all of that research pointing to fat as the culprit and low-fat diets as God-sent is unsubstantiated and just plain false.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @bjwoodzy - thanks for bumping this up. Lots of great points. Just 3 to add:

1 - I think there is a level of jealousy. I see it when people see my food at lunch because I bring my lunch to work nearly every day. They wish they could eat the left-over bacon crusted ribs, but feel like they can't because they are overweight and everyone knows eating fat makes you fat. ;) Meanwhile, I am 46 years old and weigh roughly the same now as I did playing 9th grade football - and actually probably lower bf% now than then.

2 - People don't read anything that looks complicated or longer than a tweet. Learning the right way to eat / unlearning the garbage we were all taught growing up takes more explanation than can fit in a tweet. Speaking as someone who has an attention span just slightly longer than that of a gnat, I understand the difficulty of getting the mindset change when it is so ingrained and the sound bite world we live in is not conducive to real dialogue.

3 - Point 2 has also led to a world of instant gratification. Too many people want the quick fix. This is a life change. They want to believe eating the low fat junk food will make them healthy because it is easy and readily available. Many also don't realize the pill/shot associated with treating diabetes will kill you as fast as diabetes will - at least those which stimulate or raise insulin. As many of you know, metformin is pretty much the only med that doesn't have this negative side effect.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    For all the negativity LC reaps in the main stream, I agree with @Sunny_Bunny_ and others that folks have to hear a message many times before it even pierces their consciousness.

People may reject the idea outright... or reject it initially but let it incubate while their self-image and view of the world adjusts.

Steven Phinney recently mentioned the 10-year rule - the ridiculous about of time (and patient suffering) it took for the medical establishment to adjust after the publication of undeniable proof that ulcers could be cured with antibiotics.

But I imagine the buzz by the round-earthers in the interim was a critical part of the eventual shift..... So let us nobly but diplomatically Buzz Onward.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I grew up in an era where basically 'different is bad' in all areas of life. No one directly voiced this but one picked up this view very early. I think when we start eating different perhaps we trigger negative responses from other because of the 'different is bad' programming in most all of us.

Giving up my carb addiction at the age of 63 was the hardest change in my life in part because I did not know I was an addict since I never smoked, drank, did drugs, etc.

A good friend who has been there and done that and now works in AA taught a Celebrate Recovery class for the Men's SS class just so some of us would be able to grasp the concept of AA. Denial was covered in the first lesson I think. I remember saying OMG I am a carb addict.

All of my life I was proud that I had escaped the many addictions that run in my family only to realize I was an Addict myself.

While I have no fear of Carbs now that I understand them I think the fear of giving up Carbs is overpowering for the masses.

I wrecked my health by eating in a way for 40 years that was fueling my arthritis that fused most of my joints total or in part.

Actually I earned my OD degree in 1986 and never did practice due to the fast advancing Ankylosing Spondylitis. Carb abuse/diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in the US and never once were we taught that much of vision loss was diet related.

It was August 2014 when the doctors wanted me to start taking Enbrel injections in 90 days to wreck my immune system as a way of pain management before I start to thinking about eating in a way that might prevent my premature death due to food choices.

We need to remember our past when dealing with those who may be fearful of giving up carbs where they realize it or not. One only has to watch the news to realize many are looking for subjects to fight about and any will do.

In the real world some who have watched my changes over the last couple years realize the positive changes in my health is totally the result of changing my Way Of Eating. We have no control over others but just ourselves. The few that see the light are a plus. It still is hard to watch others committing suicide by food choices as I did for most of my adult life.
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree - food pushers under the guise of 'being nice' are annoying AF.

I deal with the same thing at work, and it is ironic because the ones pushing the food say out loud ten minutes later 'Oh, I should eat healthy. I need to lose weight.'

Well...if you think you need to lose weight, then maybe you should take a look at what you're eating. You're eating fried chicken, with french fries and a sugary cole slaw and you're wondering why I don't want any. /facepalm

The worse is 'Oh, but you're thin.' I feel like that's some envy speaking and they're trying to undermine your efforts.

I worked with a heavyset woman who was always complaining that she didn't have anyone to walk with and that's why she couldn't loose weight. I asked if she had a dog, her response "Oh, he's too fat to go for walks." Omg. Really!? Lol.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    The dog is probably thinking the same thing.

:o:)