Coffee!

Options
124»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    mbonacci12 wrote: »
    The thought of oil or butter in my coffee makes me cringe. I read that so many people drink this. What does it taste like? Is it oily?

It's not oily at all but it MUST be blended. You cannot just stir it in.
    It's creamy just like it is with cream. Just a different flavor.
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will give it a try!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    WhatLouAte wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I usually use 1 tablespoon of cream and about 2-3 tablespoons full cream milk. And stevia mixed with some erythritol.

O, wise pleasure hound, why are you depriving yourself?

Save the milk for a kitty treat and replace with HCW, then flog the stuff into submission!

I put a tbsp of whole milk in my tea, the taste of double cream is just too overwhelming for the delicate taste... we all have different preferences :smile:

I had this problem too remember? Now I am converted to those coffee cream capsules, 1 of those 12g capsules tastes like 50ml of milk in my tea. Saving so many carbs!

I've never heard of coffee cream capsules. Is there a certain brand you like? Might need to google. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Trying to work back into black coffee since dairy is causing me congestion in head/lungs.

Right now I am taking my coconut oil in green tea.

I am back to drinking coffee with cream. While LCHF with a lot of coconut oil is an anti candida way of eating last October I started taking Aquaflora Candida High Potency 9 twice a day for the first time. After about a month my congestion in the head/lungs resolved.

If there was a direct connection or not I can not swear to in court but there is no more stringy stuff to clear out of my throat each morning or stuff sinuses.

My first cup of coffee when at the house has two tablespoons of coconut oil and heavy whipping cream.

Perhaps candida was what first triggered a leaking gut like condition that lead to many other health issues?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    The thought of oil or butter in my coffee makes me cringe. I read that so many people drink this. What does it taste like? Is it oily?

I only do half a tablespoon of coconut oil and no butter, but it's not oily, it's thick. I can have it in my coffee with some half and half and easily not eat until 2. The other day I was busy and forgot to eat until 7pm.

I add my stuff to a good travel mug and shake it during the first minute of my commute. That has saved me the time and noise of my immersion blender since I leave for work at 4:45 and everyone is still asleep.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @RalfLott - you know most cats are actually lactose intolerant by nature, right? That even though they love milk, that it's terrible for them, right??? Just like us humans and sugar/wheat/grains! LOL

And dogs and antifreeze or chocolate.

When we got our eight week old kittens last spring, they begged and begged and begged for yogurt. I did some research and found out that the home-made, long-fermented Greek yogurt I've been making for the past 18 months is actually good for cats. AND, what I already knew, it's actually lower in carbs than the numbers you see for commercial yogurt. AND for those of us humans with certain chronic digestive issues it's a boon.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott - you know most cats are actually lactose intolerant by nature, right? That even though they love milk, that it's terrible for them, right??? Just like us humans and sugar/wheat/grains! LOL

When we got our eight week old kittens last spring, they begged and begged and begged for yogurt. I did some research and found out that the home-made, long-fermented Greek yogurt I've been making for the past 18 months is actually good for cats. AND, what I already knew, it's actually lower in carbs than the numbers you see for commercial yogurt. AND for those of us humans with certain chronic digestive issues it's a boon.

How do you serve it - mixed with food or straight?
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

How do you serve it - mixed with food or straight?

The kittens like it straight: a heaping tablespoon per kitten on a plate, which they politely share. I myself take it with various Skinny Syrup flavorings and a handful of mixed nuts. But I don't share.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options

It's not oily at all but it MUST be blended. You cannot just stir it in.
    It's creamy just like it is with cream. Just a different flavor.

Well…..I don't blend my BPC and I love it. :) Before LCHF I drank my coffee black. Couldn't stand anything else in it so I was amazed at how delicious this drink is. I just grab a mug of hot coffee and add 1 TBsp Kerrygold butter, 1 tsp of Coconut Cream Concentrate (Tropical Traditions, but any coconut butter might work just as well), and 2 tsps of MCT oil. Sometimes I'll add some cinnamon too. My hubby is hooked on this stuff now and he used to hate coffee, lol.
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm still addicted to sweetness in my coffee and drink a lot of it during a day. What are the lowest carb forms of sweetener out there? I made the mistake of not logging my stevia, somehow I equated zero calorie with zero carb.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @asgentr, My stevias do not have carbs or calories. Look for those that are just stevia as opposed to something like Truvia which is stevia and erytritol.

Though many would say the 3 carbs in Truvia don't matter because erythritol doesn't have an effect on blood glucose or whatever. Depends on how much of a purist one wants to be perhaps or why one is eating low carb.

Trader Joe's brands are a good option (check labels) if you have one locally and prefer not to order on line.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    What's the issue with erythritol? I thought that was in the "really no effects" column (unlike Xylitol....). ?? Principle (no -itols at all) ?
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Had an eye opening experience today. I get a couple of coffees a week ( medium dark roast, HWC, and 5 pumps sugar free vanilla) from a Minnesota based coffee shop. Today I asked how many carbs the sugar free syrup had (thinking 0-1 gram/serving) and was told it had 9 grams/serving! Holy buckets! Think I need to throw my liquid sweetener in my purse now.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have no issue with erythritol in regards to anything. Nor do I have an opinion. I don't know what brand of sweetener the poster uses. Perhaps I should not have used Truvia and it's 3 carbs on it's packaging as an example. I would guess there are many different brands of stevia products that have many different additives for sweetness and other things that could add carbs.

I said above "many would say the 3 carbs (in Truvia) don't matter because ethritol...." I attempt to avoid using words like "all", "everyone", "everybody" though I'm sure I have used those words.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    eneild wrote: »
    Had an eye opening experience today. I get a couple of coffees a week ( medium dark roast, HWC, and 5 pumps sugar free vanilla) from a Minnesota based coffee shop. Today I asked how many carbs the sugar free syrup had (thinking 0-1 gram/serving) and was told it had 9 grams/serving! Holy buckets! Think I need to throw my liquid sweetener in my purse now.

Really? Maybe it's just fiber. Like ....hmm....cellulose (that is, wood) for anti-caking purposes. I wouldn't put it past them, even in a syrup. :s
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference in ingredients between the Truvia packets and Truvia you buy in a larger jar. I think that one may have a bulking agent, maybe maltodextrin?, in it it too. I'm not positive. But you should check the labels. I remember that I bought it once and realized it had something else in it. But the packets don't list that ingredient.
  • BWeymon
    BWeymon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ah ha! I have FINALLY found a working creamer solution! I am a very heavy creamer person. A little coffee with my creamer kind. Anyway, instead of using 10 creamer portions, I mix a 2:1 ratio of non-fat dry milk and a good quality coffee creamer. I still get that big creamer flavor and lightness but only 30 calories compared to 300! AND, you can even use flavored powder creamers for that little extra special touch! If you want to add it to your meals, it is in the data base under Home Made - Coffee w/ Special Made Creamer. Let me know what you think!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    BWeymon wrote: »
    Ah ha! I have FINALLY found a working creamer solution! I am a very heavy creamer person. A little coffee with my creamer kind. Anyway, instead of using 10 creamer portions, I mix a 2:1 ratio of non-fat dry milk and a good quality coffee creamer. I still get that big creamer flavor and lightness but only 30 calories compared to 300! AND, you can even use flavored powder creamers for that little extra special touch! If you want to add it to your meals, it is in the data base under Home Made - Coffee w/ Special Made Creamer. Let me know what you think!

I'd have to try it to see how much I'd need (total carbs) to approximate the mouth orgy you get with 1 oz. of heavy cream (so lightness obviously wouldn't be my goal). :*

I think I gave away all the nonfat versions of things during my keto cupboard purge of 2016, since they're higher in carb %.

But, as you've realized, you have to pick your spots - you can't make everything into a fat bomb and expect to trim down.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Oh I love it with HWC, Kerry Gold and dark chocolate Stevia - so over the top delicious! ☕️☕️☕️