What is up with this trend I'm seeing???

Options

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    One time since I started, I had some fried dough that comes around once a year for the Italian festival in my hometown- then hopped right back in and haven't been off since. One item for one meal.)

Benign traditions shouldn't die of neglect, as long as they only produce 1x/year habits.

Does the stuff have an Italian name?
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    https://anewlifeatforty.wordpress.com/2016/07/30/cream-cheese-crepes-recipe/

Cool! Thanks... Now I'll be more motivated to try new recipes and keep posting. :smiley:

Came back to thread to visit site, site died :( sadface
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    One time since I started, I had some fried dough that comes around once a year for the Italian festival in my hometown- then hopped right back in and haven't been off since. One item for one meal.)

Benign traditions shouldn't die of neglect, as long as they only produce 1x/year habits.

@RalfLott it's zeppole. Traditionally consumed during the Festa di San Giuseppe (Saint Joseph's Day) celebrated every March 19, meh, in my opinion it's a donut - totally overrated. Now Panettone, mmmm, that was my downfall before I found out I had to be gluten free. Toasted lightly with lots of butter. My family comes from near Venezia.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

That is unless you are one of those people who has 30 unique 1x/year habits. ;)
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Oooh, damn you, Italy!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

@RalfLott it's zeppole. Traditionally consumed during the Festa di San Giuseppe (Saint Joseph's Day) celebrated every March 19, meh, in my opinion it's a donut - totally overrated. Now Panettone, mmmm, that was my downfall before I found out I had to be gluten free. Toasted lightly with lots of butter. My family comes from near Venezia.

Madonna, Venezia? Che bellissima città! <3
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    To me it seems like they are taking carb ups or carbcycling to an extreme. I've heard that one day of adding more veg, or a sweet potato or something then going back to strict low carb high fat promotes more weight loss. I don't do it but I think that's what's going on. People are misunderstanding what it really is.
    A lot of Strongman athletes will use pre-workout carb-ups, as will many powerlifters. These usually include a LOT of fast digesting sugars, like dextrose, and various refined sugars. This is because of their volume and intensity. Keto is great for endurance. It's *kitten* for intensity. When every move you make while training is an explosive one, loss of explosive performance won't do.

Jeff Volek is a powerlifter and one of the longest-running keto advocates. He might take issue with your *kitten* theory.

I've experience bonking after 19-20 hour fasts when doing high intensity lifting. Body simply won't let me go there. I can walk for ever though in a fasted state. High intensity is an anaerobic activity and burning fat is aerobic. Burning fat can't keep up with the demand in an anaerobic condition but can in a lower intensity aerobic state. Glucose metabolism is an anaerobic process and so can keep up with the energy demand in a high intensity anaerobic state. That is what I've read and noticed with myself.

Dr. Peter Attia reported significant increases in aerobic capacity and a decrease in anaerobic capacity in some detailed self experimentation (eatingacademy.com) while in ketosis.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Technically, Montebelluna (in Treviso - home of the Benetton family, as in United Colours of Benetton).
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    What I noticed one week ago was the MODS had to request that the "backsliders" stop posting full details about their cheat days - one year ago when I began, ppl were not into writing long and elaborate postings of how they cheated.
    Really why would someone do this except for one reason, they're really not Low Carb and they are a type of Spammer.
    I haven't awakened one morning and wanted toast and cereal with my bacon and egg yolks / not once.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    What I noticed one week ago was the MODS had to request that the "backsliders" stop posting full details about their cheat days - one year ago when I began, ppl were not into writing long and elaborate postings of how they cheated.
    Really why would someone do this except for one reason, they're really not Low Carb and they are a type of Spammer.
    I haven't awakened one morning and wanted toast and cereal with my bacon and egg yolks / not once.

I don't know if they're spammers or not low carb. Trouble is the internet is full of people who go from one thing to the next and lack commitment and require validation for every.little.thing.they do. It's a form of attention seeking. Grown ups who are serious about eating healthy do not need to post "OMG I ATE A HUGE TUB OF ICECREAM AND A PIZZA AND 3 GALLONS OF COKE I HAVE NO SELF CONTROL I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO". Only children need this kind of attention.
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You know what my "cheat day" is?

I eat an extra 200-800 calories HFLC. More cheese? More bacon? Why, YES, thank you!

If I'm feeling hungry- I eat. My trend is to eat more calories on the weekends. I can't afford to deviate from HFLC due to my blood sugars- but that does not mean I'm suffering for a "diet" either. This is my health and my future- not a quick fix to get into single digit jeans.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    FWIW, the way I managed my weight before I was diagnosed T2D was by cutting out carbs and reducing calories via portion size. I would eliminate snacks, sweets and seconds and give myself a break on Sunday (since I am a priest and Sundays are feast days - it just made sense). This weight loss system had a plateau for me, and I could not seem to break through it without seriously reducing the calories. I would find myself ravenously hungry but tough it out.

Once I got the T2D diagnosis, it took me a little while and some trial and error, but the only thing that really seemed to have much impact on the blood glucose was LCHF. I am still figuring it all out, but the observation by @RalfLott with being sober for 7 years except on Fridays rings true. I would not recommend a cheat day if it is a health issue. At the end of the day the weight loss is a health issue too, and it is not just the diabetics who need to think this way.

I still have to keep the calories lower than the web forms would suggest to actually lose weight. I can do that without being hungry all the time with the LCHF. I have finally broken through the plateau, and the diet is sustainable for me. I want the blood glucose levels to come down more than they have too, but I am a patient man.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    You know what my "cheat day" is?

I eat an extra 200-800 calories HFLC. More cheese? More bacon? Why, YES, thank you!

If I'm feeling hungry- I eat. My trend is to eat more calories on the weekends. I can't afford to deviate from HFLC due to my blood sugars- but that does not mean I'm suffering for a "diet" either. This is my health and my future- not a quick fix to get into single digit jeans.

Same here, though I occasionally have a high carb cheat day on occasion. Unlike many who post here, I can eat low carb for months and still crave high carb delicious foods. Eventually, I give in to those cravings. The last time was at the end of October and I'm trying to hold off until April.

For the same health reason (blood sugar - I'm type 1, was type 2 also for more than a decade), I can't do carb cheat days very often either. I'm extremely carb sensitive now, so if I add a bunch of carbs suddenly, my BG skyrockets. Even if I take Symlin (slows absorption of glucose) and insulin, I still get tenacious highs that take multiple rounds of insulin to make them budge. Last time, my BG shot up to nearly 500 mg/dl (despite insulin) and just wouldn't come down below 400 mg/dl despite multiple large doses of insulin. It wasn't until stopping eating carbs for almost a day before the insulin finally would do its job.

In the meantime, I had GI issues related to a quick change in diet (gut bacteria needed more time to adapt?) and crippling electrolyte imbalances as a result of the BG and related effects. The electrolyte balance is what took almost 2 weeks to notice improvement. In the meantime, my calves were barely functional and in serious pain.

So while I really love carb-heavy foods and still have cravings, I can't give in very often. If I ever do leave the low carb WOE, I'll have to be very slow and deliberate about re-introducing carbs again safely.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days on carbs, or I should say haven't now for a year plus now. I will go over carb restricting with dairly or nuts but not cakes, bread, pizza or anything like that. I won't go to ice cream either, it all just sets me up for more grief in the long run.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <3
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Selling books, supplements and diets maybe a driver of some of the nonsense.

The fuel and engine oil I use in my car is not the same used in race cars. :)

2.5 years into this WOE I find just leaving off processed foods does 96% of my food "thinking" for me.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My carb devil is pineapple. Fruit is really the only carb I miss and crave. I occasionally indulge in berries covered in whipped cream. I will admit...this week is a tough week...I have a pineapple on my counter just waiting to be cut up and devoured. I have been so good and have lost enough weight that I can justify a healthy fruit with fiber as a special treat.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options

Actually, some benign traditions should be deliberately executed. If you visit our part of the world during Mardi Gras, you will probably be invited to sample a "Moon Pie." Do not do this. It is 80 gazillion carbs with all the taste and appeal of blotting paper stuffed with library paste. To me, at least; other people are willing to trample three old ladies and a toddler to catch one as it's thrown from a parade float.