anyone interested in the whole30?

Options

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Day 10 and all's well in Whole30 land, except that I seem to be getting a cold. Yuck. Question: What are you all eating for breakfast? I'm getting really sick of eggs, eggs, eggs! Yogurt is definitely something I miss. I guess I should get some sausage or something meaty and breakfast-y.

I actually just started eating eggs...never had before because I hate them.

Today is hardboiled eggs and sausage, but usually it's some kind of meat and veggies left over from dinner like steak and sauteed spinach with bacon or chicken with boroccoli and butter.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Day 25 of my Whole30. Today's going to be the real test of wills. It's the annual ice cream social at work--Ben & Jerry's. I have my macademia nuts so hopefully I'll be fine. I've also gotten a lot of reciped lately and can't wait to bake some paleo banana bread next weekend! Bought some red wine and raw cheese at Whole Foods to celebrate the end of my Whole30 as well.
  • asoeung
    asoeung Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Day 11 here! Doing well! I think I had a minor slip yesterday, but it was a little beyond my control.... I ended up not being able to take a lunch break yesterday at work, and so someone offered to go get Chinese food. It was either that, or not eat at all for another 6-8 hours, and I was needing food at that point. I ordered the least offensive thing I could thing of, cashew beef, with no rice and "light on the sauce" - when I got it, it tasted sickeningly sweet - I'm sure it was LOADED with sugar and probably soy sauce too.... but I ate some. I'm not going to stress about it, and I did find a silver lining - I think my tastebuds are changing, because I used to LOVE any kind of Chinese food like that. This time it tasted so sweet I could hardly stand it - so I'm taking that small victory and moving on. :)

I am feeling a lot less bloated all the time, and my stomach seems a bit more flat. :) Also my skin is looking pretty decent... I usually struggle with acne and keratosis pilaris.

I'm also starting to think about the things that I really want to consider putting back into my diet after my whole30. My list of "things I absolutely can't live without occassionally" keeps dwindling, so that is good too!
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 11 here, and still doing well. It's really hard not to slip unintentionally when you're eating out or ordering in. I ordered a Ceasar salad the other day and asked for it with balsamic dressing instead...and it came with the dressing already mixed in (Ceasar, with Parmesan cheese) and I didn't have time to send it back and wait for another. So, I figured the tiny amount of cheese I was getting was negligible anyway and decided not to stress over it. It's the overall process of thinking about food choices that's important—one or two unintentional grams of sugar or cheese or whatever aren't the end of the world. We're going away for the weekend again, which always complicates things. But I'm learning how to deal! I'm not noticing any major changes in my mood, or energy levels, or skin, but I feel slightly thinner (possibly because I've been working out more, too) and just generally positive. Hope it just keeps getting better over the next 19 days!

Have a great weekend everyone.

p.s. I had steak for breakfast today. So good not to eat eggs!
  • TriLifter
    Options
    II ordered a Ceasar salad the other day and asked for it with balsamic dressing instead...and it came with the dressing already mixed in (Ceasar, with Parmesan cheese) and I didn't have time to send it back and wait for another.

Oh man...I got a salad last weekend that had cheese on it and I spent about 20 minutes picking out every single crumble. My husband thought I was insane,
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    starting day 16. also, i just finished the book it starts with food last night, which i definitely recommend. my goal for this week is to cut out nuts and nut butter as a fat source and focus more on coconut, healthy oils, clarified butter, and avocado. i've found myself overeating nuts a few too many times. the whole9 website and it starts with food both talk about dealing with unhealthy psychological responses to food, so i'm hoping to reset things in terms of how i crave and consume nuts.

steak for breakfast sounds awesome. i have food sensitivities due to gut permeability, so eggs were making me sick. last week i made turkey muffins for breakfast, and they were AWESOME. i combined 1.25 lbs. lean ground turkey, i diced apple (microwaved for 2 minutes after dicing), about 1/3 cup almond flour, onion powder, salt, and cinnamon.

i like nomnompaleo, and paleOMG is another website i like for recipes.

hope everyone is doing well and having a great weekend! and congrats to those who are almost done with the whole30 :)
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm just joining in; Day 2 for me. I have been paleo (80%) for quite a while. My triggers were mainly sugars and bread; I cut sugars a year ago and haven't looked back... bread on the other hand is a different story and hopefully this whole 30 will resolve this addiction. Great job to those who are almost at day 30!
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Day 28: my husband made an awesome lunch and chilled a bottle of wine. I glared at him over my water cup. Almost done!
  • JeffinRaleigh
    Options
    Starting the W30 tomorrow (29th) ... was doing really well on Primal until three weeks ago so this will be a re-set for me. Good luck to everyone!
  • CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Day 28: my husband made an awesome lunch and chilled a bottle of wine. I glared at him over my water cup. Almost done!

WTG on just about meeting your 30 day mark! After coming off of a horrible carbnite experience, I will re-commit to Whole30 starting today!
  • TriLifter
    Options

WTG on just about meeting your 30 day mark! After coming off of a horrible carbnite experience, I will re-commit to Whole30 starting today!

Yikes...what happened?!
  • cherryrobot
    cherryrobot Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Be careful with Pintrest / Instagram with the Paleo/ Whole 30 recipes! People tag those things but they are not Whole30 at all... pancakes are not whole 30 I don't care what kind of flour they use!!

I say start simple... a grilled chicken breast & grilled veggies. A salad. A piece of fish side of veggies. No need to make elaborate things to mimic what you used to eat.. .you are starting a new chapter... avoid the Paleo/ whole30 desserts and "cheats" just try to be clean.

Also, don't plan that you will have a cheat day or cheat meal, but if it happens remember that one bad meal doesn't ruin everything ... just pick up and start again from that moment. Having one GOOD whole30 meal doesn't INSTANTLY change you into some lean mean whole30 machine... and on the same token, one misstep does not send you back into the perils of unhealthy existence.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading all the posts.

I just started my first Whole30 today. I've been keto Primal for almost a year now so the adjustment shouldn't be that hard for me. I'm mainly doing it to kick the dairy for a month (or more) just to see what happens. Keto Primal already resolved all my health problems.

I am breaking some of the rules but it's MY Whole30. I will eat as much as I want, but will still log. If I don't pay attention to keeping my fat high enough, my health deteriorates and I start craving and struggling with hunger. Also, I will still weigh in weekly. I like having stats. I've been losing really slow for half a year now and I have no intention of "giving up" no matter what the number on the scale says.

I live in the Arctic and my food choices are very limited. I will do the absolute best with what I have available, but I will not be as "perfect" as I would if I lived somewhere that locally grown food was available. I don't think that not having perfect food should at all stop me from doing a Whole30 and bragging about it! :wink:
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks!

I started eating Paleo about 2 weeks ago, and have noticed significant changes in my health already
    (including major headaches the last 3 days, none today).
    So today, after doing some research, I decided to start the whole 30. I'm looking forward to see what
    other changes will happen. My biggest challenge will be black coffee, but I saw some posts about eggnog coffee,
    think I'll be trying that tomorrow!
    Glad to see people leaving tips for beginners, much appreciated!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Hi Folks!

I started eating Paleo about 2 weeks ago, and have noticed significant changes in my health already
    (including major headaches the last 3 days, none today).
    So today, after doing some research, I decided to start the whole 30. I'm looking forward to see what
    other changes will happen. My biggest challenge will be black coffee, but I saw some posts about eggnog coffee,
    think I'll be trying that tomorrow!
    Glad to see people leaving tips for beginners, much appreciated!

I too struggle with liking black coffee. I gave up the honey a year ago, but it has taken this whole year to finally commit to quitting dairy. The cream in my coffee was my deal-breaker.... but never say never.

I'm enjoying Bulletproof coffee. There are many, many variations but mine is: 1 cup coffee, 1tsp unsalted butter (grassfed if you have access to it), and 1 tsp coconut oil (extra virgin, organic). Some people use MCT oil instead of coconut oil. Some people add cinnamon, cocoa, and other stuff. I'm thinking of trying it with an egg yolk on the weekend (I intermittent fast so protein and carbs in the morning will mess that up).

(I'm from the Paleo crowd that believes butter to be acceptable if it is tolerated-especially since my access to certain food items is limited because of living in the Arctic.)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Be careful with Pintrest / Instagram with the Paleo/ Whole 30 recipes! People tag those things but they are not Whole30 at all... pancakes are not whole 30 I don't care what kind of flour they use!!

I say start simple... a grilled chicken breast & grilled veggies. A salad. A piece of fish side of veggies. No need to make elaborate things to mimic what you used to eat.. .you are starting a new chapter... avoid the Paleo/ whole30 desserts and "cheats" just try to be clean.

Also, don't plan that you will have a cheat day or cheat meal, but if it happens remember that one bad meal doesn't ruin everything ... just pick up and start again from that moment. Having one GOOD whole30 meal doesn't INSTANTLY change you into some lean mean whole30 machine... and on the same token, one misstep does not send you back into the perils of unhealthy existence.

Great advice. Early on, I tried a few Paleo replacements for things and I quickly decided that it wasn't the way for me to go. Some of them are good for my child though... better than giving her commercial cereals etc, but she rarely gets any of them because they are so labour intensive. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen without messing around with replacements for the stuff we don't even miss (my child might argue with that).

I do not buy into cheat meals or days. I think it's stupid (for me, my opinion!) to plan to "cheat" on purpose. That said, every other month or so I have a popcorn night with my child. But I don't call it a "cheat" and I don't plan for it.

However, on Whole30, the idea is to be extremely strict so that health issues can be addressed. Or, in my case, addiction to dairy. Cheats will make everything for naught. And like you said, one tiny slip does not ruin everything.
  • CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Yikes...what happened?!

It was my bad, I thought I could get away with eating high carby foods for my carbnite, instead of higher carb paleo. Never again, I got sick and spent half of my day in bed. Lesson learned.
  • deanna198888
    Options
    Figured I would join in on the conversation. I started my first whole30 on Sunday after being pretty bad for a few weeks and suffering from some horrible stomach issues. I am feeling pretty amazing now, no more stomach cramps or digestive upset and I am already sleeping better and have more energy. I cannot believe that in three days I already feel amazing.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options

Yikes...what happened?!

It was my bad, I thought I could get away with eating high carby foods for my carbnite, instead of higher carb paleo. Never again, I got sick and spent half of my day in bed. Lesson learned.

I was wondering about that. Thanks for sharing your experience. Good warning!
  • TriLifter
    Options

Yikes...what happened?!

I was wondering about that. Thanks for sharing your experience. Good warning!

Yup... that's why I try to stay 99% paleo.