anyone interested in the whole30?

Options

Replies

• kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    how is everyone doing?

i'm on day 19 and doing pretty well! i cut back on eggs (they were giving me GI issues) and cut out nuts/nut butters (i was overeating them and wanted to break the unhealthy psychological response).

i've tried a lot of recipes that i LOVE. i made pulled pork, meatballs, chocolate paleo chili, coconut milk lattes, etc. all the new food has been a big perk of the whole30 for me :)

hope everyone is doing well and having a good week!
  • CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    how is everyone doing?

i'm on day 19 and doing pretty well! i cut back on eggs (they were giving me GI issues) and cut out nuts/nut butters (i was overeating them and wanted to break the unhealthy psychological response).

i've tried a lot of recipes that i LOVE. i made pulled pork, meatballs, chocolate paleo chili, coconut milk lattes, etc. all the new food has been a big perk of the whole30 for me :)

hope everyone is doing well and having a good week!

It's day 2 for me, and so far so good. I like your food ideas, and may give the coconut milk latte a try! I steer clear of nut butters, but nuts (macs & pecans) haven't been a problem. Eggs sometimes make me nauseous, but I've been having them for a few days and I'm feeling okay about em.
    For those on my Friends list, I've opened up my food diary for input, suggestions, etc..I pretty much eat the same foods every day, so there wouldn't be much variation. Thanks:smile:
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Day 3 for me. Over headaches, on to lethargy. It feels like major effort just to take my dog for a short walk.
    Someone posted about it last night (on being lethargic), and I learned that my salt intake maybe to low.
    I've always been salt sensitive, so I think I'll slowly up the amount to see if I have any fluid retention.
    I need to make time to cook!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    woops!
  • Grammi_C
    Grammi_C Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm going for it the month of August. So far, I have been following Paleo since the beginning of July. I feel wonderful! Yes, I've a couple cheats. My tummy feel awful when I ate something I shouldn't ! (like chocolate mousse pie) I'm a little nervous, but very excited to start my Whole 30. Here's to a healthier new me!
  • mirihawk
    mirihawk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Day One of my Whole 30 is tomorrow! I am psyched!!
  • Flmommy1
    Flmommy1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Today was day 1 for me. Trying to get over my sugar addiction and loose some weight.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Day 17 here, and all's going well except that I've had this really annoying minor cold for the last week. Started as a sore throat, now it's sore throat + congestion. I'm wondering if it's a reaction to food detox--I read that it's pretty common to experience various physical reactions to a cleanse of any kind. This write-up is pretty interesting (at least the first part...not sure about the "fixes" she suggests): http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/7-ways-to-avoid-detox-symptoms-on-a-cleanse/

Maybe it's the cold, but I can't say I feel *that* different. No boundless energy, no perfectly clear skin, etc. I've been in a good mood and have been sleeping well, but that's pretty normal for me. My workouts have been really great, though--I finally deadlifted more than my bodyweight the other day, and my runs have been very energetic. So, maybe there are changes just not such dramatic ones.

I've realized so many times this week just how often I grab a handful of whatever I'm giving my kids to eat. Three times I've popped something in my mouth without even realizing it (popcorn, cereal, etc....no, I'm not Whole30ing my kids at this point)—and had to spit it out!

I'm still struggling with breakfast a bit. I wish I could find some compliant bacon. I've definitely got to pick up some compliant sausage, because the thought of eggs right now makes me a bit sick. I tried bulletproof coffee this morning for the first time (I was out of coconut milk) and it's pretty good! Next time I'd use less fat though. The recipe I tried had 1T. of ghee and 1T. of coconut oil per standard-sized mug of coffee--a bit too much fat for me so early in the morning. It made me feel a little nauseated. Next time, I'd go with 1t. of each, I think.

Hope you're all doing well!

Amanda
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

My Whole30 starts today. I have some planning to do for my meals but I've come across a lot of great recipes. I would love to have more Paleo/Primal friends for support and advice. Feel free to friend me.
  • deanna198888
    Options
    Does anyone know of any stores that sell bacon without any added sugar? I am really wanting bacon but so far everything I have checked out has had some sort of sugar added to it. Today is day 5 for me so I am hoping to find some whole30 friendly bacon and not spend the next 25 days craving it.
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I got sick of eggs for breakfast, too. I've been eating turkey muffins made with diced apples and this morning had tuna canned in olive oil.

starting day 20 today! i can't believe how quickly the 30 days is going by.
  • CaveBrain
    Options
    Does anyone know of any stores that sell bacon without any added sugar? I am really wanting bacon but so far everything I have checked out has had some sort of sugar added to it. Today is day 5 for me so I am hoping to find some whole30 friendly bacon and not spend the next 25 days craving it.
    I get my uncured bacon from Fresh & Easy, but not sure if you have that chain where you live. There is also the Applegate brand of uncured meats that are sold in health food markets or you always go to your local butcher.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

I get mine from Trader Joe's
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Zucchini "noodles" FTW...so good! I'd eat them instead of pasta any day!
  • deanna198888
    Options
    I am confused about something regarding whole30. I thought we were basically just eating meat, veggies, fruits, nuts and fats. I didn't think any paleo bread or baked goods were allowed, but on the whole9 website under whole30 approved tab there is a brand of wraps made from coconut. Are we allowed to make wraps, tortillas, crackers etc. from coconut and almond meal while on whole30? I probably won't make any even if they are allowed since its time consuming but I am just confused about this now after seeing the wraps are approved.
  • CaveBrain
    Options
    I am confused about something regarding whole30. I thought we were basically just eating meat, veggies, fruits, nuts and fats. I didn't think any paleo bread or baked goods were allowed, but on the whole9 website under whole30 approved tab there is a brand of wraps made from coconut. Are we allowed to make wraps, tortillas, crackers etc. from coconut and almond meal while on whole30? I probably won't make any even if they are allowed since its time consuming but I am just confused about this now after seeing the wraps are approved.

To my understanding, bread-like products aren't allowed. Even if it is, I plan on just keeping it simple.
  • deanna198888
    Options
    That was my understanding as well so I don't understand how sandwich wraps are approved. I feel like preparing food right now is time consuming enough, so I don't feel like trying to make anything like that anyways. I am feeling pretty amazing with what I have been eating.
  • CaveBrain
    Options
    I lost count of the days, so I had to come to this post to figure it out. It's day 6 for me and I've gotten through the worst of it, I believe. No more nausea and lethargy. I have more energy and I'm not even thinking of the food. I know some of you log and some don't. I log occasionally just to see where I'm at, but I know it's not necessary. I haven't weighed, but may also check in to see where I'm at.

I know a couple of you have probably reached the 30 day mark, so congrats! Is everyone else hanging in?
  • dandelion39
    Options
    HI all--how's it going? Day 21 here, and it's going really well. Especially since I got myself to the doctor finally and got some antibiotics for this lingering cold (last week I'd wondered if it was detox...but turns out it's a sinus infection) and feel so much better! I've had so many good meals, and have really been branching out more, eating more fish, different veggies, etc. Tried two new recipes this weekend (both from everydaypaleo.com I can't recommend enough:

1. http://everydaypaleo.com/sausage-egg-and-sweet-potato-breakfast-skillet/
    (calls for pork sausage, but I couldn't find any that didn't have sugar in it--I couldn't believe it when I read the label on the sweet Italian sausage I've been buying at the grocery store for years and found corn syrup on the ingredients list!--so I used some veal sausage we got at the farmer's market)

2. http://everydaypaleo.com/cumin-spiced-slow-cooked-pork/

If nothing else, this 30 day program has made me much more aware of all the crap that's in food--it really does inspire me to make much more from scratch (and I'd have never thought of myself as much of a processed-food eater, but even the foods I thought were pretty "clean" really weren't!).

How's everyone else doing?
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    HI all--how's it going? Day 21 here, and it's going really well. Especially since I got myself to the doctor finally and got some antibiotics for this lingering cold (last week I'd wondered if it was detox...but turns out it's a sinus infection) and feel so much better! I've had so many good meals, and have really been branching out more, eating more fish, different veggies, etc. Tried two new recipes this weekend (both from everydaypaleo.com I can't recommend enough:

1. http://everydaypaleo.com/sausage-egg-and-sweet-potato-breakfast-skillet/
    (calls for pork sausage, but I couldn't find any that didn't have sugar in it--I couldn't believe it when I read the label on the sweet Italian sausage I've been buying at the grocery store for years and found corn syrup on the ingredients list!--so I used some veal sausage we got at the farmer's market)

2. http://everydaypaleo.com/cumin-spiced-slow-cooked-pork/

If nothing else, this 30 day program has made me much more aware of all the crap that's in food--it really does inspire me to make much more from scratch (and I'd have never thought of myself as much of a processed-food eater, but even the foods I thought were pretty "clean" really weren't!).

How's everyone else doing?

Thanks for sharing the recipes!

Can you buy ground pork and add spices to make your own sausage?