Will the foot cramps EVER stop?

Options

Replies

• KetoTheKingdom
    KetoTheKingdom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Seems like you might be able to get by with baking soda, which is 100% sodium bicarbonate, 616mg per 1/2 teaspoon.

But I have no idea how that compares to sodium tablets. I know that baking soda can not only clean pots & pans but also internal pipeworks if you take too much; but I suspect plain sodium may also have a purging effect in excessive quantities. And of course you have to get the stuff down........

I am also curious about this. Does anyone have any experience with sodium bicarbonate?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Seems like you might be able to get by with baking soda, which is 100% sodium bicarbonate, 616mg per 1/2 teaspoon.

But I have no idea how that compares to sodium tablets. I know that baking soda can not only clean pots & pans but also internal pipeworks if you take too much; but I suspect plain sodium may also have a purging effect in excessive quantities. And of course you have to get the stuff down........

I am also curious about this. Does anyone have any experience with sodium bicarbonate?

I think you would need to be careful with that as it neutralizes stomach acid.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I've got the kiddie volcano experiment of vinegar/lemon juice and baking soda in my head... Not a pleasant picture. LOL ;)

I always go with salt in water. I add a teaspoon to water every day. It seems to help.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Mebbe.... don't drink straight lemon juice/vinegar cocktails before taking BS?

(I get your collective point, though!)
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I've got the kiddie volcano experiment of vinegar/lemon juice and baking soda in my head... Not a pleasant picture. LOL ;)

I always go with salt in water. I add a teaspoon to water every day. It seems to help.

Lol oh god that sounds painful, reminds me of the gas pains I had after eating black bean soup once :o
  • RalfLott
    Options

Lol oh god that sounds painful, reminds me of the gas pains I had after eating black bean soup once :o

Wow, that must have been some black bean soup! Were petroleum products among the ingredients?
  • auntstephie321
    Options

Wow, that must have been some black bean soup! Were petroleum products among the ingredients?

Must've been I thought I was gonna die
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    You can't buy sodium tablets here -- perhaps not in Canada at all, but definitely not here in B.C. I asked at every drug store, and got blank looks, except for the compounding pharmacist who gave me a lecture on the evils of sodium and said his sodium was for prescriptions only.

Local vitamin and sports stores like GNC don't sell it, either.

Can't get it here.

And I'm maxed out on magnesium. On 400 mg bisglycinate (plus the mag gel) I get diarrhea now.

How are you dosing the 400mg? That's so incredibly little magnesium that I think it's just not the right kind for you or are you taking all 400mg in one dose? Is it possible to take 100 or 200mg doses every 4 hours?

I just got my bulk supplements mag powder, it doesn't mix with water well, how much do you take at a time? I took a quarter tsp, seemed too much
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You can't buy sodium tablets here -- perhaps not in Canada at all, but definitely not here in B.C. I asked at every drug store, and got blank looks, except for the compounding pharmacist who gave me a lecture on the evils of sodium and said his sodium was for prescriptions only.

Can't get it here.

And I'm maxed out on magnesium. On 400 mg bisglycinate (plus the mag gel) I get diarrhea now.

How are you dosing the 400mg? That's so incredibly little magnesium that I think it's just not the right kind for you or are you taking all 400mg in one dose? Is it possible to take 100 or 200mg doses every 4 hours?

I just got my bulk supplements mag powder, it doesn't mix with water well, how much do you take at a time? I took a quarter tsp, seemed too much

I use 1/4 tsp 3 or 4 times a day.
    I don't have any trouble with it mixing. I probably add about 4 ounces of water. I do also add 1tsp ascorbic acid. I wonder if that's helping it dissolve or something???
    My first dose of the day goes in my coffee though and it mixes with that fine too. I also add stuff to coffee though... mct, gingko, CoQ10 and collagen.
    The great thing about the power is you can put it in anything. Add it to scrambled eggs before cooking or a sauce your putting on food. Throw it in some pickle juice ...
  • auntstephie321
    Options

Can't get it here.

I use 1/4 tsp 3 or 4 times a day.
    I don't have any trouble with it mixing. I probably add about 4 ounces of water. I do also add 1tsp ascorbic acid. I wonder if that's helping it dissolve or something???
    My first dose of the day goes in my coffee though and it mixes with that fine too. I also add stuff to coffee though... mct, gingko, CoQ10 and collagen.
    The great thing about the power is you can put it in anything. Add it to scrambled eggs before cooking or a sauce your putting on food. Throw it in some pickle juice ...

Thanks for the tips, yeah mine just settled to the bottom and would resettle after I shook it up then tasted gritty. It was fine though. I used a quarter tsp too I'll try a little less next time. I've been feeling light cramps starting in my calves and neck I'm so terrified of spasm. The mag glycinate was working well but I felt I needed more and wanted something that would absorb even better. The drs best doesn't seem to be and this one went right through me too.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have managed to halt the cramps by drinking one teaspoon of pink salt in water three times a day. It seems drastic, but at least it's stopped the cramps for now. I may be able to reduce it at some point. It hasn't stopped the three nightly bathroom trips, but that might take time. As soon as I go more than about 4 hours without salt, I start peeing copiously.

600 mg magnesium bisglycinate is too much. 500 seems about right, actually.
  • LauraCoth
    Options

When my naturopath was treating me for adrenal issues, she recommended 1 teaspoon of salt mixed with 2 teaspoons of Bob's baking soda, mixed in bone broth.

• LauraCoth
    Options
    Nope. Ain't happening.

The more salt I take in, the more I thirst. The more I thirst, the more I drink; the more I drink, the more I pee (ALL NIGHT LONG). The more I pee, the more I get cramps. Rinse and repeat, ad nauseum. Horrible cycle, can't break it.

Too bad, because I really, really like eating this way. But lately I feel short of breath, which is scary. And the lack of sleep is killing me.

I must have something else going on.

I have an appointment with my ND on Tuesday, and I'll see what she thinks, but my suspicion is that something in my metabolism just can't handle this.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

I have an appointment with my ND on Tuesday, and I'll see what she thinks, but my suspicion is that something in my metabolism just can't handle this.

Yay. August 9 to September 10 of trial. Glad for the appointment.

• LauraCoth
    Options
    It's actually been about 3 months of trial.

I was on Atkins for a few months a few years ago with none of this going on, so something has changed. Too bad.

Hopefully my ND can get this sorted out quickly. Electrolyte imbalance almost killed my Spousal Unit last year while he was on chemo. It would be ironic if I was the one felled by it. :#
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Nope. Ain't happening.

The more salt I take in, the more I thirst. The more I thirst, the more I drink; the more I drink, the more I pee (ALL NIGHT LONG). The more I pee, the more I get cramps. Rinse and repeat, ad nauseum. Horrible cycle, can't break it.

Too bad, because I really, really like eating this way. But lately I feel short of breath, which is scary. And the lack of sleep is killing me.

@LauraCoth, you are such a trooper.

I don't have any insights, only a few straws to grasp...

Have you tried genetic testing? Here are a couple presentations on genes and personalizing nutrition from Rhonda Patrick:
    http://youtu.be/bVV2RFEiqN4
    http://youtu.be/qvNLNl7oJnM
  • LauraCoth
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My ND is pretty up on many things -- in fact, she really likes low carb as a lifestyle and encourages it over simple calorie restriction for weight loss, not to mention for inflammation relief. I bet she'll have some insights into what's happening with me.

It may simply be that my electrolytes got so severely out of whack early on in this process (or maybe they already were, because I'm a thyroid patent) that I can't get back on track without intervention. That is what happened to the Spousal Unit, too. You get into a cascade of plummeting electrolyte loss and it's hard to bring things back into balance on your own.

In the meantime, I'm upping my carbs drastically, hopefully only temporarily. And let me tell you, Cliff bars are disgusting after several months of low carb. Really, really gross. I'll have to stock up on some yams and quinoa instead.
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    So, I had an appointment today with my naturopath to discuss the results of my 24-hour urine test. It appears I have disastrously low cortisol (virtually non-existent), estrogen and androgens, and my T3 is still in the basement.

I've been given a long list of new supplements and prescription to add, but I have to start supplementing calcium in a big way to see if that will stop the cramps. My sodium and potassium levels would appear to be good; these numbers were fine 6 weeks ago, but I was already supplementing so they should reflect what's still happening overall.

I'm still committed to the low carb lifestyle, so hopefully we can get the cramps under control and I can drop my carbs back down gradually. However, I have been cautioned that weight loss may be difficult with the estrogen supplementation. Still, health before vanity -- much as I hate the way I look.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I tried posting on another link, but it got lost in the shuffle. If you haven't tried dropping the calcium, please do. It is one of the things that can become toxic (most of us don't need a supplement at all, just the cofactors to absorb them right)... I just scanned this to see if you touched on that (I was 60 responses behind) and I didn't see anything on it. I'll see if I can find the info again, but muscle cramps can be caused by way too much calcium getting lodged in the wrong places (pretty sure it is dr. berg)... I'll go back and read to make sure I ddin't miss anything else, @LauraCoth