Puff Puff Pass....

Options
SuperCarLori
SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
Has anyone quit smoking while keto and minimized weight gain, or even continued losing?

Any advice or helpful tips, please? I need all the support and motivation I can get, please.

Thanks so much,
Lori

Replies

• LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I managed to quit and not GAIN weight years ago by using nicotine gum. I found it very helpful for quelling the munchies associated with nicotine withdrawal. Eventually I was able to just taper off it.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I actually found I had less of an appetite after quitting, so I ended up losing weight without even trying.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Thank you both....I need to either:
    A: believe I can do it without worry over weight
    Or,
    B: Focus on health over vanity

Probably both would be best....
  • jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @SuperCarLori In the support department. I'll never tell you that it will be easy. But I will tell you, you can do it. Maybe find something else to do with your hands/mouth while you get through the withdrawal and cravings. Get a set of ben wah balls (the kind for focus/twirling, not the *cough* other kind) to play with and get proficient at. My dad used to chew on a toothpick. Hmmm. Make sure you keep your fat/satiety up. Maybe if you are satiated the cravings/munchies wont be there.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey (the only way back then) and didn't gain weight. I walked a lot (couldn't run if my life depended on it) and I was avoiding my smoking triggers so no going out dancing and drinking beer, no sitting at the table after meals, no sitting with certain people at gatherings, no going outside with the smokers at work, etc.

@SuperCarLori, good luck. You will feel so much better when you are done with nicotine! You can do this.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    I'm doing it. One minute at a time here. I'm gardening and I've reorganized a couple of cabinets to stay occupied..... Working so far.

Thank you all.... :)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I was low carb (no bread, pasta, rice, etc), but not keto when I quit 15 years ago (after smoking for 10 yrs). I quit cold turkey, no cessation aids. I always wished that I could just quit eating because quitting smoking was so much easier than just trying to cut back slowly, which never worked. Sorry, I know that's not much help... I did start exercising 1-2 hours/day at the same time and that did help - I kinda felt like smoking would undo all the good work I'd done for my body at the gym. The same premise helps me with my diet. I've never cheated on my diet on a gym day.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Something else to consider, too, is the variety of smoking aids, if you hit that wall and realize that you can't just jump in - and that you need to taper down. It isn't a failure to use tools available. That's a smart person - if tools are available, you refuse to use them, and you have less success than you were aiming to achieve - how is that person better off than the person using tools, giving themselves a less complicated transition, and eventually ceasing depending on the tools, too? Just food for thought that nicotine addiction runs very closely on the mental side of how to handle it as ditching the carbs... (hugs)

I'm not against using aids, in fact I'm utilizing the patch, lozenges and gum... Yes all three.. I'd be interested in vaping, but I can't inhale nicotine for some reason, it hurts.... So.... There I are. :D

@PaleoInScotland two to three HOURS!!!!!
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    That's awesome AND insightful @kimberwolf71
    I'm working on Bob (my other half) to quit as well, I know it's going to get more difficult smelling it on him. We don't smoke in the house either... So today, every time I wanted to 'go outside' I did... With a lozenge, and took a walk around the pond. Also the pulling weeds helped... So I'm going to get so many things done!!!!
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you @SuperCarLori I'm stuck at the need to quit and even the want to quit stage. I have terrible panic attacks when I make the attempt. It sucks! Tried chantix a few times with no luck, that stuff turns me evil.
    Maybe I should give it another go. Time to stop at the grocery store after work to stock up on gum and mints!
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Vaping got my dad to quit after 40 years with zero effort. It's a miracle worker to me. He still capes without nicotine in it now. I don't care if he still has a habit, as long as it's not a smoking habit!
  • ketold727
    ketold727 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am sure everything is am about to say way already Said here but I also quit about 5 months into keto. Keto did not help or hurt in my opinion. I stuck to it.
    I quit cold turkey. I quit on a Monday and took the whole week off to adjust. I drank a lot of water and stopped watching calories or logging. It was possibly the hardest thing I have ever done (I smoked 2packs + a day for a decade and do less since I was in my teens). I drank more coffee and used sugar free gum.

My main advice is watch out for day 4 through 10. You let your guard down and the cravings get worse.

I am not against aids. They worked well for my wife. They just didn't for me. I tried them all and failed. Cold turkey was more intense suffering but within one week I had no physical cravings. I can handle the mental.
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    8 months into keto and quit (ish) for about a month. Beware of the sweet cravings, I don't even have a sweet tooth but I got this in the first week or so. Something about increased oxygen tips your oxygen to glucose ratio. I have dark, dark chocolate and peanut butter to hand now.
    First 3 weeks I stayed the same, when I started counting calories again though I noticed that if I stopped the pork scratchings I would create a good enough deficit to start losing again. Lost 2 pounds in the last week.

Quick bit of info on where the weight comes from, its not just the increased food from putting your hand to your mouth. Smoking 40 a day burns an extra 250 calories, those cigarettes are putting the strain on your heart of carrying an extra 90lbs in weight. I off set that with exercise which was also great for distraction and frustration release.

Best advice is to stick to keto without counting your calories in a big way and don't expect to lose the first few weeks. I found keto made it easier to at least stay the same.

Good luck x
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I always smoked when I drove so I started carrying a huge water bottle to replace the hand to mouth. 13 years later and I still have the water habit :)

you can do this!!! I found after a couple days my taste buds started returning and nothing g tasted right to me for a while so appetite went down.

best of luck to you. I can say I felt so much better after a year being smoke free.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    jassnip wrote: »
    @SuperCarLori In the support department. I'll never tell you that it will be easy. But I will tell you, you can do it. Maybe find something else to do with your hands/mouth while you get through the withdrawal and cravings. Get a set of ben wah balls (the kind for focus/twirling, not the *cough* other kind) to play with and get proficient at. My dad used to chew on a toothpick. Hmmm. Make sure you keep your fat/satiety up. Maybe if you are satiated the cravings/munchies wont be there.

I don't have any suggestions for the *cough* balls.
    However, there are ways to keep both your hand and mouth gainfully occupied that might not be immediately obvious. For example....

image_21868e3f51.jpg
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest here, if I could continue smoking and be healthy I would. I <3 smoking! Just like if I could continue to eat carbage and be healthy I would because well I like eating junk sometimes lol But then reality hits, I can't because it's not only unhealthy but deadly..And freaking expensive! if you take the $ you spend on cigarettes and put it away to treat yourself for a massage, new clothes or a night out, that might be a motivator to help you through the cravings. I'm rooting for you Lori! It's great that you are trying to get this monkey off your back.:)