Amelia's OMAD Journal: Failure, I will succeed, support and advice needed :)

Options

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    How are you doing Amelia?
  • AmeliaOMAD
    AmeliaOMAD Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi Deb,

Been In a real down spot. Had to go get checked out for a lot of deficiencies, vitamin D and iron, mainly- but on some supplements now so hopefully on the up. I have clinical depression so at times I have to watch it, especially in winter when my serotonin falls dramatically (this leads to binges too, serotonin is partly made in the stomach) So, of course, dropped off OMAD for a week or so there, but back on the supplements now, mentally feeling a lot sunnier, will head out to catch some rays as well, do anything I can to bump myself back up.
    It's funny, I know that my non omad "binges" are caused by deficiencies, because I start having particular cravings, when I say a binge, it's not an "i fell off omad because I was eating junk food", it's been consuming massive piles of spinach, oranges and yoghurt. If you start looking into these cravings, you can see what's missing.
    I'm disappointed i've been off track, but I want to beat it! They haven't been psychological food urges, which is fab, they have been physical ones, my body needing something desperately because I'm low somewhere. So that's a huge leap forward, in my book. Non wanting to binge/ overeat because my mind says so, but because my body is missing something.

How are you doing?
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Wow I've recently found from tests that I'm very low in vitamin D and B12! Good to know that these contribute to cravings

Its really great you found out now!
  • Anneli_F
    Anneli_F Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The body is so smart!
    I think it's a good thing to go and get checked when eating OMAD as we then can focus on really getting those vitamins and minerals we're missing in our one meal. I know I have to get extra magnesium, but as for the rest, I have no idea. Good thing you reminded me :)
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I do feel better when I take the "Stress B Complex" supplement. Some of the B vitamins are needed for neurotransmitters as well as some of the amino acids like tryptophan. I do think when we have had chronic stressors that there can be nutritional deficiencies. I think that the low levels of serotonin and dopamine-- "feel good" neurotransmitters-- do make some people depressed and search out certain foods to correct them.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    AmeliaOMAD wrote: »
    Hi Deb,

Been In a real down spot. Had to go get checked out for a lot of deficiencies, vitamin D and iron, mainly- but on some supplements now so hopefully on the up. I have clinical depression so at times I have to watch it, especially in winter when my serotonin falls dramatically (this leads to binges too, serotonin is partly made in the stomach) So, of course, dropped off OMAD for a week or so there, but back on the supplements now, mentally feeling a lot sunnier, will head out to catch some rays as well, do anything I can to bump myself back up.
    It's funny, I know that my non omad "binges" are caused by deficiencies, because I start having particular cravings, when I say a binge, it's not an "i fell off omad because I was eating junk food", it's been consuming massive piles of spinach, oranges and yoghurt. If you start looking into these cravings, you can see what's missing.
    I'm disappointed i've been off track, but I want to beat it! They haven't been psychological food urges, which is fab, they have been physical ones, my body needing something desperately because I'm low somewhere. So that's a huge leap forward, in my book. Non wanting to binge/ overeat because my mind says so, but because my body is missing something.

How are you doing?

Sorry you're feeling low. It does sound like your body is craving some type of vitamins. It's great that you're not binging on junk food but crave healthier foods. It sounds like you're doing everything you can to get back to feeling good again. Blessings to you, my friend.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    Deb, how do you eat the coconut oil? 1 tablespoon a day? What are the other benefits apart from suppressing hunger?

You can put a little bit in the mouth and let it melt down. Some people put it in coffee (bullet coffee). I'm not sure of health benefits. Some people do "oil pulling" by swishing it around in mouth for a long time and spitting it out for oral hygiene - supposed to pull out toxins or something like that. If I'm having a bad day and think about it, I will take a little and it will get be tell dinner time. I just use about 1/2 teaspoon an hour and that is about all I need. I think 1/2 teaspoon is about 50 cals. What is neat about it is it doesn't wake up the appetite and cause me to want to eat more which any other food does so it isn't likely to set off me eating more. I think it has very little effect in raising blood sugar - hence insulin which I seem to have an overabundance of when I eat sugar (I crash hard after eating sugar) which then makes me very hungry. Can be a vicious cycle if let it be.

I do oil pulling sometimes. It takes the toxins out of the body. I'll do it for a few weeks after I brush my teeth and floss before going to bed for about 20 minutes, then spit it out in the trash (not the sink), and brush my teeth again.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Hi Deb...

I think that is a terrific milestone! --and fabulous for you to recognize and replenish nutritional deficiencies. I just bought some vitamin C and D this week. I know that I'm likely running low. I think I may buy some krill oil or fish oil as my skin has gotten drier this time of year with the indoor heatING and woodstove.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    The only macro I worry about is protein. I take whey supps to keep from losing muscle mass. I do worry about micro-nutrients and have been eating a large salad (with a couple of eggs) most days and I usually always take a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement and also often make a fruit smoothy with a little bit of a few kinds of fruit. I also try to eat a little bit from each food group (all in my eating window). I think that all helps to reduce cravings. Good luck!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    The only macro I worry about is protein. I take whey supps to keep from losing muscle mass. I do worry about micro-nutrients and have been eating a large salad (with a couple of eggs) most days and I usually always take a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement and also often make a fruit smoothy with a little bit of a few kinds of fruit. I also try to eat a little bit from each food group (all in my eating window). I think that all helps to reduce cravings. Good luck!

Eggs do stop cravings for me also. I'll have a boiled egg occasionally and immediately the hunger pangs go away. It is fairly low calorie also and low glycemic if you include the yolk.

Cottage cheese or Greek yogurt also curbs my appetite. Strangely enough I find eating a small turnip cuts cravings. Radishes or dill pickles work too in my case. So sour, bitter, and tart foods seem to switch off carb cravings for me
  • OMADhungerispower
    OMADhungerispower Posts: 20 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hello Amelia! I'm reading your journal from the beginning - and I must say it's so very encouraging. I can resonate SOOOO much with what you mentioned in your first post - feeling angry, frustrated and disappointed with yourself and never being at your ideal dress size. Cheering you on, girl! You're absolutely fab. I'm doing OMAD starting tomorrow too! Tried 3 days ago and failed :( ALSO ALSO we're the same height! :) And same goal too - (ish) hahaha. I'm planning to lose 8 kilos by April/May!
  • OMADhungerispower
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My name is Lex, by the way! :) I'm a medical student in Scotland and am keen for an encouraging community as we grow (in willpower) and lose (in weight) together xx

Would you kindly do a collated update on how you feel and how much weight you've lost since you started 4 weeks ago?

I'm doing this for 6 weeks too!

Oh and you are great - I love how you're ever so committed to lengthy replies and your choice of vocab "schelp'ing round the house with hair like scarecrow. That's me today, with a greasy onion for a bun on my head. I need to be able to respect myself again. Your thread is nothing less than inspiring <3
  • OMADhungerispower
    Options
    really insightful! i have a mad sugar craving myself - im gonna take your advice on the epsom salts. got more convicted to give up sugar after watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPxIssabhTc
  • 1MADGIRL
    Options
    really insightful! i have a mad sugar craving myself - im gonna take your advice on the epsom salts.

What a shame I bought epsom salt with essential oils. I'll try find normal salt from somewhere
  • DebSozo
    Options
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    really insightful! i have a mad sugar craving myself - im gonna take your advice on the epsom salts.

What a shame I bought epsom salt with essential oils. I'll try find normal salt from somewhere

You can bathe with it dissolved in water right? I'm thinking of trying that.

I buy magnesium supplements in the tablet form.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Hi Deb,
    I'm disappointed i've been off track, but I want to beat it!

How have you been feeling? Any better after a week? I'm sorry you are feeling down. I just started taking SAM-e which is supposed to help with mood and neurotransmitters. I found it at my local Walmart.

My weight spiked up recently. It normally does this every year as the days get shorter. I think I might have S.A.D. I should probably up the vitamin D3. I'm bummed out by weight gain but am excited for the New Year and still plan to work very hard to lose 10 pounds plus the extra recent couple by the end of April.
  • AmeliaOMAD
    AmeliaOMAD Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi all!I am back! I am so sorry for the absence, I really really appreciated all your messages and I'll get back you you all asap.
    Damned beast got me, blasted mental maladies. Been struggling with it a LOT, evidently, not to harp on about it, but I want my power back, my life force, and I'm going to do everything I can to make it happen. I'll reply more over the next few days but just wanted to drop in and tell you all thank you, so very much.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I missed you Amelia!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    We wish you the best!
  • 1MADGIRL
    Options
    Hi all!I am back! I am so sorry for the absence, I really really appreciated all your messages and I'll get back you you all asap.
    Damned beast got me, blasted mental maladies. Been struggling with it a LOT, evidently, not to harp on about it, but I want my power back, my life force, and I'm going to do everything I can to make it happen. I'll reply more over the next few days but just wanted to drop in and tell you all thank you, so very much.

I really hope you'll feel better soon xx