Are we Ready???

Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Can I put pencil shavings in my cereal to lower the % carbs and fit my macros?

Try it and let us know. :)
    You might want to two ply. Just sayin
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I remember when I first came to this group how impressed I was (and still am) with the well-curated easily accessible information available on the launchpad. Big shout out to all the group leaders for organizing and keeping things running smoothly. You guys rock !
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Maybe time for another vote on this privacy issue soon? I've noticed the tide shift too! Especially now that keto is becoming the new go to woe?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    Soon we can go public so it is searchable. Mwahahahahaaaaa!
    Er...I mean....I'm totally anti-haterade...yep. :wink:

Seriously though, the environment has improved A LOT in the past year. You will actually see a lot of non-low-carbers saying there is nothing wrong with low-carb and correcting misinformation regarding it correctly. There are still haters, but it's gotten tons better. I have high hopes that we'll achieve complete low-carb neutrality out there one day soon.

I know we've said this before, but the private setting was only supposed to be a short-term solution until things calmed down. But, the [majority of the] group members wanted to stay private after it was over. It bugs me not being able to search also. Maybe this will be the year that we can change back!

I hope so. Maybe in March after the new members have had time to feel things out, we can have another.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Judging from my last few bruising forays into healthy eating forums outside of MFP, I am dead set against abandoning the protection of booting someone out of our circle who wants to disrupt the dialog.

Most people would never be so rude (no one here would wander into a Tapeworm Diet group trying to sell Advantage, right?), but the anti-LC sentiment is extremely intense in some (orthorexic?) people who've sworn blood oaths to other diets.

Just like the USDA guidelines and ADA's public education mantras, folks' attitudes toward LC will eventually come around, but it may take a while.

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    To go public or not to go public? That is the question.

Going public would allow more people the ability to learn from all the wisdom here both in the existing announcements and threads as well as those in the group willing to offer advice/links to applicable research.

The down side is there are and always will be haters. It would take away from the "safe haven" aspect of the forum.

I am sure there are some in this group who are here because of that safe haven aspect, and I can't blame them for that. However, I think we Have a responsibility to help get the facts out and help others.

Think about how many out there are struggling with T2D while adhering to everything their doctors tell them. If we can help a few more of them who then help a few more, we are advancing the cause of reversing decades of bad information that has caused the health epidemic we have now.

I wish we could have both public access to get the word out and a private inner circle where we could get a reprieve from the haters.
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Well, it's not like you have to memorize secret phrases and handshakes (or pay $) to get into the LCD group - it's just that you realize up front that you can lose your access if your behavior sucks (which is similar to many other groups that require a login).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agrees that the attitudes towards LCHF are changing. I'm seeing people who mocked the very idea of it, now defending it when someone else comes along to call it stupid. Public would make it easier to navigate this group.

Plus anyone can join, right? We have a few members that I know are not low carbers who like to read and participate (as devil's advocate, but in a respectful manner). I like to think the haters wouldn't join LCD. Sort of like how I don't frequent the MFP groups that don't work for me or that I don't agree with.

It might be worth looking into making it public sometime this year.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    Yes! On some 2017 trend list I read it said Keto would be the hot diet trend of 2017, so there may be more than the usual resolution crowd joining. Whatever makes our WOE easier and more mainstream...I'm all for it!!!

That's in the new "Alive" ("Canada's Natural Health & Wellness Magazine") for Jan 2017.... They are usually pretty good about natural foods and supplements and healthy ways of eating (and healthy planet ideas ie. natural beauty products & makeup, natural cleaners & such) but they are a bit behind the times when it comes to 'excessive animal fats contributing to heart disease' ideas, etc.... tends toward more of a Vegan/Vegetarian lifestyle.
    Anyhow, two things on their list of Can't-Miss Nutrition For 2017 are IF (5:2), and Eat More Fat.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Yesssss, and you can call the extra fibre 'cellulose' and market it hugely..... being done by some companies as we speak.
    e33bef5b9f203b91dcb6121f0daee911.jpg
    Sold at Walmart, where else?....
  • RalfLott
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Yesssss, and you can call the extra fibre 'cellulose' and market it hugely..... being done by some companies as we speak.
    e33bef5b9f203b91dcb6121f0daee911.jpg
    Sold at Walmart, where else?....

All sorts of places!
    http://www.foodrenegade.com/would-like-some-wood-pulp-your-shredded-cheese/

Cellulose - it's not just insulation any more!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I agree that there are some positive signs of the acceptance of a LCHF woe, particularly for those with certain medical issues. However, there is still a lot of venom spewed towards those who espouse the virtue of this woe in the main forums and elsewhere. MFP, like a lot of social media sites, seems to attract haters and trolls. I would hate to see this forum being subject to the ugliness that I see in the main forum and other sites, and @KnitOrMiss raises a good point about sharing personal information in an open forum.

I support the importance of spreading the word, but would prefer that it be done in ways other than opening this site to the public. Creating a thread in the open forum where members of this group can regularly post information inviting people to join this group and can share important sources of information enticing others to join us to learn more could be one way to address this. There may be other ways. It does not help the issue of the ability to search this forum, however, from my perspective it is more important to keep haters and trolls out than to search the forum. If it has not already been done (or perhaps even if it has), we as individuals could submit requests to MFP asking for this capability. It probably won't be a high priority but if they received enough requests perhaps they would consider it.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    :#@KnitOrMiss
    Oh man. I've shared some pretty gnarly *kitten* too....
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    I agree that there are some positive signs of the acceptance of a LCHF woe, particularly for those with certain medical issues. However, there is still a lot of venom spewed towards those who espouse the virtue of this woe in the main forums and elsewhere. MFP, like a lot of social media sites, seems to attract haters and trolls. I would hate to see this forum being subject to the ugliness that I see in the main forum and other sites, and @KnitOrMiss raises a good point about sharing personal information in an open forum.

I support the importance of spreading the word, but would prefer that it be done in ways other than opening this site to the public. Creating a thread in the open forum where members of this group can regularly post information inviting people to join this group and can share important sources of information enticing others to join us to learn more could be one way to address this. There may be other ways. It does not help the issue of the ability to search this forum, however, from my perspective it is more important to keep haters and trolls out than to search the forum. If it has not already been done (or perhaps even if it has), we as individuals could submit requests to MFP asking for this capability. It probably won't be a high priority but if they received enough requests perhaps they would consider it.

All good points. We're not going to force Public status if the vote goes for Private.
    We'd thought about maybe transferring all the FAQs and link libraries to something like GitHub but that's a lot of work, and I'm too dumb to figure it out. Believe me, I have tried and tried. :confounded: Plus, that wouldn't do anything for the wealth of info in all the Open Threads.
    But we've got time to worry over the vote later.

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

All good points. We're not going to force Public status if the vote goes for Private.
    We'd thought about maybe transferring all the FAQs and link libraries to something like GitHub but that's a lot of work, and I'm too dumb to figure it out. Believe me, I have tried and tried. :confounded: Plus, that wouldn't do anything for the wealth of info in all the Open Threads.
    But we've got time to worry over the vote later.

Thanks for your response @baconslave. Hopefully, we'll find a way to make this work for most people. I appreciate all that you and the other moderators do to make this an informative as well and warm and welcoming place!

• RalfLott
    Options
    :#@KnitOrMiss
    Oh man. I've shared some pretty gnarly *kitten* too....

MFP will delete users' posts on request. I can't imagine you wouldn't have an ample opportunity to keep yours from becoming crawlable/searchable (which they aren't now).