Are we Ready???

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    KetoLady86 wrote: »
    Am I the only hippie here who embraces the ketosis pits?

Idk, but idk anymore if its from keto or what...but deodorant does not work for me NO MO

I'm stinky but I always have been. I'm one of those women who gets so sweaty that I need to bring extra clothes if I work out over an hour because it will be saturated. Yuck.

Anyways, my stinkless plan is shave, use an astringent like witch hazel, use coconut oil (antibacterial) and then use an antipersperant (deoderant s useless to me). If I do this, I can go the whole day without smelling me, unless i exercise...
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    @baconslave totally agree with you about everything, esp leading a horse to water. Thank you so much for your hard work here!!

• swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I just have to say as a newbie myself, that even though it might be annoying to some of you veterans it is nice to have a place where you can come to get answers to questions. I have joined other groups in the past where all the members seemed to already be friends and new parties weren't really included in the conversations or acknowledged. So this group is definitely superior in that respect.

Now I can say that personally I did jump right in and read all/most of the LP items as soon as becoming a member, but I realize that not all do. I think just referring them to the LP is completely acceptable for questions that are already answered there.

However, since there really isn't a search option for open threads sometimes we may have to ask a question that has already been answered 25 times. And that is only because (due to work and family responsibilities) we might not all be able to spend a week going through every post that's every been posted.

I understand that's why the LP was most likely invented and I don't think there's anything wrong with it as is.

Thanks Mods for all your hard work!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Bring it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Haha, I'm such a hippie. My deodorant is coconut oil with essential oils, just because I do get such that I can't stand myself. The CO and EOs just kill the bacteria that cause the funk, and I'm good to go!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    KetoLady86 wrote: »

Idk, but idk anymore if its from keto or what...but deodorant does not work for me NO MO

Rub some peppermint or lavender oil in your mustache (or upper lip, as the case may be) and enjoy the day?
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Haha, I'm such a hippie. My deodorant is coconut oil with essential oils, just because I do get such that I can't stand myself. The CO and EOs just kill the bacteria that cause the funk, and I'm good to go!

Woo hoo for homemade deodorant!! Do you make yours? I tried tea tree oil and I got hella rash! Although... Could have been the ratio of co to baking soda....
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    I just have to say as a newbie myself, that even though it might be annoying to some of you veterans it is nice to have a place where you can come to get answers to questions. I have joined other groups in the past where all the members seemed to already be friends and new parties weren't really included in the conversations or acknowledged. So this group is definitely superior in that respect.

Now I can say that personally I did jump right in and read all/most of the LP items as soon as becoming a member, but I realize that not all do. I think just referring them to the LP is completely acceptable for questions that are already answered there.

However, since there really isn't a search option for open threads sometimes we may have to ask a question that has already been answered 25 times. And that is only because (due to work and family responsibilities) we might not all be able to spend a week going through every post that's every been posted.

I understand that's why the LP was most likely invented and I don't think there's anything wrong with it as is.

Well the notable Open Threads are in the sticky now. If a really helpful thread comes up, then we'll link it. It stinks that we can't search. If the group were Public, then there's a Google search work-around to help search the group, but many of the members felt safer in here where haters could not just come in and cause trouble, so it's kept Private.

I've had to find specific posts, and OMG what a complete headache! So I feel for anyone trying to find something specific in this framework as it is, believe me.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Well the notable Open Threads are in the sticky now. If a really helpful thread comes up, then we'll link it. It stinks that we can't search. If the group were Public, then there's a Google search work-around to help search the group, but many of the members felt safer in here where haters could not just come in and cause trouble, so it's kept Private.

I've had to find specific posts, and OMG what a complete headache! So I feel for anyone trying to find something specific in this framework as it is, believe me.

Well you have to work with what you've got....You guys do a great job as far as I can tell.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I don't go to other forums. Despite the amount I may reply on here, I really am not a social media type person. I AM someone who wants complete information if I am going to significantly change something as important as my WOE especially when it is due to health issues. That said, I agree it is much better that this is private simply because haters will be haters and making this public would just turn it into something that would resemble what keeps me away from most social media.

I think the consistent bumping of the LP thread and the newbie thread @baconslave made are probably the best things we can do.

I am thankful for both new and old here because getting new perspectives is as important as getting help from the experienced. I plan to stay involved here because I will never know everything and I feel obligated to help if/when I can due to the help I have received.
  • RalfLott
    edited December 2016
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I don't go to other forums. Despite the amount I may reply on here, I really am not a social media type person. I AM someone who wants complete information if I am going to significantly change something as important as my WOE especially when it is due to health issues. That said, I agree it is much better that this is private simply because haters will be haters and making this public would just turn it into something that would resemble what keeps me away from most social media.

Yep. My last spin in an outside nutrition forum (not related iin any way to MFP) drew the cheerful comment, "You're courting kidney trouble and mercury poisoning from all the fish you eat." (About 4x/week) And that was the lone substantive reply!
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    @baconslave You do wonderful things. You are the main reason I came back to this forum and you've snatched my *kitten* up and hauled me forward when I needed it. You are super helpful and always respond. You are selfless when it comes to advising.

If you can't get some things done, dammit it's because you've already done it! Newbies need to take some responsibility for researching such a huge change in woe. Maybe make a STOP BEING SO *kitten* LAZY AND SELF ENTITLED AND DO SOME *kitten* RESEARCH! sticky. ;)

If a person can find mfp and this forum, why the hell can't they Google?

MICRAPHONE DROPS...
  • RalfLott
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Maybe we could furnish some sensible google search URLs for our new friends.

For example, googling "diabetes low carb" will bring up the *kitten* ADA, which will tell you:
    In the past, people with diabetes were told to completely avoid sugar. Experts thought that eating sugar would raise blood glucose levels very high.

Research around this issue has shown that while the type of carbohydrate can affect how quickly blood glucose levels rise, the total amount of carbohydrate you eat affects blood glucose levels more than the type. Now experts agree that you can substitute small amounts of sugar for other carbohydrate containing foods into your meal plan and still keep your blood glucose levels on track.

For many people, having about 45 to 60 grams at meals is about right. :s

But searching "diabetes ketogenic" is an entirely different ball game!

(I got this cheerful article among my top 5:

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/study-compares-american-diabetes-association-low-fat-diet-to-high-fat-ketogenic-diet-for-helping-diabetes-ketogenic-diet-wins/)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Maybe we could furnish some sensible google search URLs for our new friends.

For example, googling "diabetes low carb" will bring up the *kitten* ADA, which will tell you:
    In the past, people with diabetes were told to completely avoid sugar. Experts thought that eating sugar would raise blood glucose levels very high.

Research around this issue has shown that while the type of carbohydrate can affect how quickly blood glucose levels rise, the total amount of carbohydrate you eat affects blood glucose levels more than the type. Now experts agree that you can substitute small amounts of sugar for other carbohydrate containing foods into your meal plan and still keep your blood glucose levels on track.

For many people, having about 45 to 60 grams at meals is about right. :s

But searching "diabetes ketogenic" is an entirely different ball game!

(I got this cheerful article among my top 5:

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/study-compares-american-diabetes-association-low-fat-diet-to-high-fat-ketogenic-diet-for-helping-diabetes-ketogenic-diet-wins/)

That article is a gem. One of those ones I want to fling into doubters' faces and bark, "Ha!"
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    Yes! On some 2017 trend list I read it said Keto would be the hot diet trend of 2017, so there may be more than the usual resolution crowd joining. Whatever makes our WOE easier and more mainstream...I'm all for it!!!

Interesting! That's pretty cool! My BIL has been keto for almost a year now and my sister just said she's planning to start in January, too (T2D, tried keto before and ended up gaining weight and going off but she thinks she didn't do it quite right). I have another friend who just told me she plans to go keto starting tomorrow!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Love you baconslave. Had to be said. The launchpad in the announcements has guided me through the transition from 40/30/30 eating to lchf eating. I point others in the general thread to this group regularly. Hope your New Year ROCKS.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Speaking of the breath....Does it really ever go away? LOL I'm about to kill my husband off!

Yes it does, thankfully. I had about a week of stanky breath. Worst part was I couldn't detect it at all, so embarrassing when my hubby pointed it out while we were out and about shopping. It was a rough week for my husband, lol. I wasn't allowed to talk in the car or the bed. :/