2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Options

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,791 Member
    Options
    I hope you feel better soon. Not seeing your dad was the right thing to do. Maybe you can do a New Year's visit. We had a quiet Christmas with my sister, BIL and their dog visiting. It's back to the rec center today for exercise. We slacked off the week before Christmas. Time to get back on track.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    I agree with Helene--You made the right decision regarding not exposing your Dad to a bad cold. Hopefully, it will go away soon and you can visit then.

Time to get back on track with exercise? Sounds like a good plan; there are times of the year in which exercise is not a priority.

I just started sneezing.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    We just got home from our quick trip out to El Paso for Christmas with DH’s family. We left on Saturday and made the drive back today. I’m not a fan of 10+ hours in the car, but I’m glad we went. Our nephew and his wife who are currently living in France were here and the main reason we went out there. They are expecting their second child and had a gender reveal event planned for Sunday afternoon. They are having a girl, which thrilled me and apparently scared them to death. They already have a son who will be one month shy of his third Birthday when the new baby arrives, and they had pretty much convinced themselves that it would be another boy. Obviously, someone has other plans for them, lol!

Maryanne, I’m sorry you’re not feeling well. I hope you recover quickly. That’s not a fun way to spend a holiday, but I’m sure your dad appreciated you not bringing it to him.

Helene and Jean, I hope you had a good Christmas and are enjoying getting back into your exercise routines. I badly need to do the same.
  • Helene610
    Options
    We actually went to the rec center yesterday as planned. I did 22 minutes on the treadmill and 8 minutes on the recumbent bike. The treadmill was good but the bike was a bit painful. I could feel a pulling in my thighs as I pedaled. It was my first time on the bike. The bike is DH's favorite and he was on one next to me. I asked if it bothered his thighs and he said he felt it in the knees. It' probably because I'm not used to the bike. I was pleased that we actually went. Now all we have to do is repeat it today. I'm planning to gradually increase my time on the equipment. Last week I did 15 minute treadmill and zero bike so I'm moving in the right direction.
    Pam, your family visit sounded nice. Maryanne, are you feeling better? Jean, how is your exercising going?
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Helene--When cycling, I feel it in my knees and calves. The ortho recommended cycling as the form of exercise. I have to admit that after two weeks, my knees are more flexible.

I went to the city today so any exercising will be done this evening. I will try to get in an hour of cycling. This is what the FitBit recorded as of the end of yesterday:

bevvrbmids89.jpg
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Pam--It sounds like you had a great Christmas despite the time spent on the road.

It is 7 degrees at 9:32am, and more of the same is expected for several days. This is about 20 degrees below normal. I'm not venturing out very far. I do have to pay my car registration so I will do that today or tomorrow.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,598 Member
    Options
    Most memes along this line I find very troubling - because most of the folks should be working with the vet to avoid problems rather than making memes - I always worry that many of these end at shelter dumps. But this one's funny!

n4l6c4pfke2l.png
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I ventured out to renew my car registration. The town was empty of cars and people; I think people were staying at home to keep warm.

Cute graphic, Maryanne!
  • Helene610
    Options
    We skipped exercise yesterday with having company. We went back today though. I did just the treadmill because the bike bothered my legs. I increased the distance a little bit. low and steady wins the race.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Helene--Good job. I can't use a treadmill because the impact hurts my knees. The ortho recommended a cycle for anyone having knee problems.

• KonaKat
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I won't be doing much of this next week, but will do an hour. I was bored and wanted to see if it could be done half in morning and half in evening while watching Netflix on Dec. 28. Beats going out in single digit temps.

2o2rkhf9kz1b.jpg
  • Helene610
    Options
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Helene--Good job. I can't use a treadmill because the impact hurts my knees. The ortho recommended a cycle for anyone having knee problems.

My problem is pain in my thighs, not my knees. I guess that's an under used muscle on my body. So when I pedal an exercise bike, it protests.
  • PamS53
    Options
    The bike doesn’t hurt my knees or thighs, but my butt goes numb very quickly, lol! That’s probably TMI, but we discuss just about anything here at this point. At my PT place they always wanted me to warm up on the bike, but I usually talked them into letting me use the treadmill instead, if it was available.

I had my first Prolia injection yesterday for osteoporosis. It is given every six months, so I’m good now until late May or June. It’s quite expensive since my insurance counts it toward my deductible, which I have not met this year. So I paid the full cost of $1,125.28. There is a copay program that I enrolled in and they sent me a credit card I can use to pay off that balance, but I have to wait until I receive the EOB from my insurance company. As I understand it, I can use it one more time but when I go on Medicare next year it becomes invalid. According to my sister, Medicare won’t pay for Prolia at all, so at that point I’ll be paying the full cost myself.

The infusion center where I went for the injection was interesting. It was a large room with recliners and multiple people receiving their treatments. Some had been there for awhile, although my stay was pretty brief. After the injection I had to stay for 20 minutes for observation. I was prepared for the wait and had taken my ereader, but the man next to me kept interrupting me wanting to talk. Normally I wouldn’t have minded, but he had listened in while the nurse took my medical history and made several borderline inappropriate remarks, so I really didn’t want to engage with him. As soon as they said I could go I got out of there because he was also being released. I didn’t want to be around him any longer than I had to.

This morning I woke up with one eye all crusty and red, so I appear to have a case of Pink Eye. No idea where I would have caught it, but it is highly contagious so it could have been anywhere. It doesn’t hurt and I don’t feel bad, but it is unsightly, lol. I’m washing my hands a lot to avoid spreading it and trying to avoid touching my eye, so hopefully it won’t spread to the other eye or DH.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Pam--That is one very expensive injection. Whether Medicare will pay for it may depend upon what company and plan you choose to provide Medicare benefits. All companies are required to cover drugs on the Medicare list but some do go beyond.

I just came from the drugstore where I got 3 meds refilled. I was hoping my heart med could be filled but I have to wait until January 8 on it. Happy New Year to me and not spending much in January because of the cost of that heart drug.

I hate that you might have Pink Eye, but it is good that you are taking precautions to keep it from spreading.
  • Helene610
    Options
    I don't know much about pink eye other than it's contagious. Is there any medication for it? That's an expensive price on Prolia. I guess it's worth it if it helps. At least you only take it twice a year.
    Jean..That's good you were able to renew most of your prescriptions in 2017 when you've already paid the deductible.
    Maryanne...how are you feeling? Any improvement?
  • PamS53
    Options
    Apparently if pink eye becomes severe, antibiotics and/or eye drops may be prescribed, but for less severe cases it can resolve without any medication. Web MD describes it as basically a cold that settles in the eye and it can be viral or bacterial. So far it doesn’t seem severe enough for me to try to get any medication for it. It isn’t painful, just unsightly. My right eye is very bloodshot-looking, while the left eye looks normal. It isn't itchy or painful and there’s been no discharge, so I’m not too bothered by it. I’ll see how crusty it is in the morning and how it looks and decide if I need to see a doctor then.

I guess the reason that Prolia is so expensive is that there is no generic and only one other drug in the same class that is used for osteoporosis so the drug manufacturer can set their own price as high as they want. Since I’ve suffered multiple fractures after being treated with Fosamax, drugs in that class are no longer recommended for me, so I don’t have much choice.

Maryanne, I hope you’re feeling better by now.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Sue Grafton has died. Her daughter says that as far as the family is concerned the alphabet now ends at "Y".

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/29/entertainment/sue-grafton-obit/index.html
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I am definitely better but still really wiped out. My get up and go seems to have gotten up and gone. The wonky weather doesn't help.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Pam - I'm so sorry you picked up pink eye. That doesn't sound like fun. That infusion center has some real HIPAA privacy issues. Amazing how much lip service everyone pays to HIPAA while managing to honor its actual spirit/purpose not one whit!

Helene - good job on the exercise!

Jean - we're about as cold as you are I think! I'm hoping this extreme cold soon blows through and heads out!

• mdubbs1
    Options
    7kgyb98syjdk.png