Janu-ready for a new You (January workout thread)

Options

Replies

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,988 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    YAY jowaring on the deadlift! what a feeling!

Yesterday's workout:
    OHP with dumbbells - 2 x 5, 2 x 4, 1 x 5 with two 17.5 lb dumbbells. Heaviest yet. Maybe I'm finally making progress. I had to take long rests between sets.
    Deadlift - 1 set of 6 at 70 lb. My left hip/IT band are acting up and the DL didn't help. I'm not sure if it's actually a lower left back issue.
    Back squat - 1 x 10 @ 45 lb, 1 x 5 @ 65 lb, 1 x 5 @ 75 lb, 2 x 5 @ 80 lb, 1 x 5 @ 85 lb. I'm concerned that I may be leaning forward a bit too much for fear of dropping the barbell. Oddly enough, the squats didn't bother my hip.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    jowaring wrote: »
    Today's workout
    Squats 1x5@45lbs 1x5@89lbs 5x5@104lbs.
    Ohp 1x5@15lbs 1x5@35lbs 6x5@45lbs.
    Deadlift 1x5@100lbs 1x5 @126lbs 1x5 @131lbs.first time at this weight!

How is everyone that eats in a calorie deficit coping?I've dropped my cals to 1700 and I'm waking up in the middle of the night starving and nauseous.i was eating 1900 but not losing.ive gained muscle in my quads and arms but no inches lost.

Nice numbers! I feel like being in a deficit may be contributing to my general lack of energy during workouts, but it is probably one of many factors. I eat low carb/high fat all the time so I'm used to it, but probably don't get enough protein. I also think my BMR is on the low side since I have PCOS/IR and hypothyroid, so my maintenance cals will never be terribly high. I still have 40+ lbs to lose though, so I'm going to stay in a deficit until they're gone.

If you're waking up hungry, maybe play with your macros and see what foods make you feel most satiated?

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats -1X5X 65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1×5×75, 5×5×85
    Four week summary post shoulder injury
    Squats 60 pounds -to- 90 pounds an increase of 30 #
    OHP 50 pounds -to- 55 pounds an increase of 5 #
    DL 100 pounds- to- 130 pounds an increase of 30 #
    BP 55 pounds-to-75 pounds an increase of 20 #
    BR 75 pounds-to-85 pounds an increase of 10 #

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-25X7X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Fitness Test
    Push ups-4X17
    Sit up-4×17
    Jumping jacks-4×17
    Tomorrow will be the final fitness test!

Keto 3 Week Challenge February 5th - 25th
    This week my plan is to get as close to the keto macros as possible. Remember fat intake is vital.
  • fanncy0626
    edited January 2017
    Options
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Just coming back to Stronglifts this after many months away. I reset the app and started completely over. I did A on Saturday but forgot to post. This is today's though:

Stronglift Workout B
    Squat-2X5 65, 5X5 75
    OHP- 2X5 10, 2X5 16, 5X5 20
    DL- 2X5 45, 1X5 65

I always have trouble with OHP and use dumbells. Even when doing Stronglifts before I never got up to using the bar. I also need to invest in some smaller plates. Our smallest are 10 lbs, which makes for too large of increases each workout. I'm working with what we've got, but I think that investment will be in my near future!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i haven't been checking in, but i've been doing my workouts (mostly)

current stats for today's workout:

squats: 5x5 @ 120lbs (staying here a while because it's still heavy and i'm still working on form issues here)
    bench: 5x5 @ 70lbs (failed on the last 2 sets of these last time, but hoping that today is the day)
    row: 5x5 @90lbs (i'm considering switching to one armed dumbbell rows because i hate these, anyone have any thoughts or success with this?)

next
    squats: 5x5 @ 120lbs (still)
    ohp: 5x5 @ 55lbs (yaaaassss!!!)
    deadlift: 1x5 @ 135lbs (i switched this month from hex bar lifts to using the olympic so i did a deload and am just coming up on my weight from before the switch)

i'm also going to try to shift my calories, since i spent all january on an upward trend and i can't figure out why (aside from being hungrier and less strict which will definitely do it, but i never wiped out my deficit). I'm thinking of being super strict mon-thurs and leaving some extra calories on the table for the weekend. my clothes don't feel any tighter or looser this month and the scale is back tracked to november numbers after going down all december.
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    @jowaring SideSteel might be a good one to ask about that. He is a trainer by trade.

Thanks amy.
  • jowaring
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    jowaring- we will be doing the keto diet for three weeks starting February 5. That is high fat minimal protein and low carb. A total change in body chemistry from carb burning to fat burning. However you do not worry about calories with this eating plan. It is more about making sure you get enough fat and your body goes into the state of ketosis. It really gets rid of belly fat!

I'll have a read up on it,I eat a lot of carbs and feel like I'd be so hungry without them! I've heard that fat is more filling though?
  • jowaring
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    YAY jowaring on the deadlift! what a feeling!

Yesterday's workout:
    OHP with dumbbells - 2 x 5, 2 x 4, 1 x 5 with two 17.5 lb dumbbells. Heaviest yet. Maybe I'm finally making progress. I had to take long rests between sets.
    Deadlift - 1 set of 6 at 70 lb. My left hip/IT band are acting up and the DL didn't help. I'm not sure if it's actually a lower left back issue.
    Back squat - 1 x 10 @ 45 lb, 1 x 5 @ 65 lb, 1 x 5 @ 75 lb, 2 x 5 @ 80 lb, 1 x 5 @ 85 lb. I'm concerned that I may be leaning forward a bit too much for fear of dropping the barbell. Oddly enough, the squats didn't bother my hip.

Thank you!
  • jowaring
    Options
    Today's workout

How is everyone that eats in a calorie deficit coping?I've dropped my cals to 1700 and I'm waking up in the middle of the night starving and nauseous.i was eating 1900 but not losing.ive gained muscle in my quads and arms but no inches lost.

Nice numbers! I feel like being in a deficit may be contributing to my general lack of energy during workouts, but it is probably one of many factors. I eat low carb/high fat all the time so I'm used to it, but probably don't get enough protein. I also think my BMR is on the low side since I have PCOS/IR and hypothyroid, so my maintenance cals will never be terribly high. I still have 40+ lbs to lose though, so I'm going to stay in a deficit until they're gone.

If you're waking up hungry, maybe play with your macros and see what foods make you feel most satiated?

Yeah I think I need to maybe eat more healthy fats.youre doing well with all your lifts even though you're in a deficit.i love lifting but the constant hunger is annoying,it is more when I've increased weight on squats though.was looking at other programmes.are you still thinking of changing?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i woke up two hours late this morning. nice to get the sleep, but so much for 'lift before work' :D i took my shoes anyway since it feels like my options for lift days have shrunk a little, and stopped in on the way home. evening workouts still /meh with the resolution/post-dinner crowd, so i'll keep hoping to turn into a person who's finished her workout by 7 am.

bench 5x10@45. went okay, though i feel guilty/oopsish a little about not doing a thorough 'antagonist' thing aka rows to keep myself from turning into a badger again. stretched my pecs a little and i did do pulldowns and a few sets of band pulls, so hoping that will get me by. also ducked into the rack after deciding not to, and hope that that open-chest position for backsquats will also help me a little on this.

squats, i did dumbbell goblets mostly. then at the end of the session i got in the rack and did 5 sets of 5 front squats/5 back, with the bar. i can't tell what i think or how i feel about them, but i expect tomorrow i'm going to be glad it's a bus/nolift day.

i can't help keeping childish score of my plant-life consumption these days. so ftr, today i ate a tomato, an apple, an orange and two or three carrots over the course of the day. i had a second orange with me, but to be honest i couldn't face it. if the qa lead hadn't come by just in time as asked if i wanted a 'bubble' off his chinese waffle, things could have gotten messy.

tonight i've already packed peach cobbler to eat tomorrow along with my Healthiness Food.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I made it to the gym today. Didn't wait an entire week this time. Woot! Did upper body instead of lower body as had to be in Hollywood early. Think I'm going to the North Hollywood one tomorrow after work for lower body since they don't have the hex plates at that location.

band pull aparts - 3x10
    bench press - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65, 4x5 @ 85
    pause bench - 3x5 @ 55 at a 5 count
    incline bench - 1x8 @ 45, 3x8 @ 60
    face pull - 3x12 @ 55
    tricep pushdown - 3x10 @ 55
  • amyinthetardis1231
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Today's workout

Yeah I think I need to maybe eat more healthy fats.youre doing well with all your lifts even though you're in a deficit.i love lifting but the constant hunger is annoying,it is more when I've increased weight on squats though.was looking at other programmes.are you still thinking of changing?

I used to be a major carbaholic until last June. Since then, I'm way less hungry most of the time because I find high fat very satiating. I also love cheese and avocado, so getting my fats in is good times. I think my hunger has increased with lifting and it Def increases around TOM. It doesn't hurt to experiment with upping your fats and proteins and cutting carbs back a little at a time to see how it feels.

ETA I'm going to stick with SL a while longer but I might try dropping to 3x5 for squats and OHP and see of that keeps me moving along. Hoping my trainer will be in so I can ask today.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats -3×5×30
    Russian kettle bell swing-25×7×30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Fitness Test
    1/2/2017 results
    Push-ups-20 plank style
    Sit ups-30
    Jumping jacks-57
    1/31/2017 results
    Push-ups-41 plank style
    Sit ups-37
    Jumping jacks- 79
    I was amazed at how many push-ups I could do without stopping! Practicing all month really paid off. Sit ups were not difficult but the mechanics of it made it harder to get more done. The jumping jacks were hard to count because I would almost going faster than I could count! My results show that practice will help improve any exercise results.

Keto 3 Week Challenge February 5th-25th
    Time to look over the suggested food list and make my shopping list for this challenge. Being prepared is essential in being successful. I have a sweet tooth so I will probably make up some chocolate covered cream cheese bombs!

http://ketogenicwoman.com/ketogenic-snack-recipe-jello-cream-cheese-balls/
  • amyinthetardis1231
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Mixed bag today. I meant to do 3x5 at 125 for squats, pretty sure I miscounted and did 4x5. Still, felt good to up my weight! Taking 3 min rest between every set now, which seems to help.
    Benchpress: 1x5 @ 45. Rib muscle no likey, sads.
    Wretched rows: 1x5 with 35 lb dumbbells. The gym keeps moving equipment around on the floor so now there is only one small spot for deadlifts and no room for barbell rows. I will ask my trainer if he can suggest other exercises to work those muscle, unless they're going to clear up floor space again.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Workout A

Bench press 1 x 10 @ 45 lb, 1 x 10 @ 55 lb, 1 x 5 @ 65 lb, 4 x 5 @ 70 lb
    Back squats 1 x 10 @ 55 lb, 1 x 5 @ 65 lb, 3 x 5 @ 70 lb, 1 x 5 @ 75 lb
    Barbell rows 1 x 5 @ 60 lb, 4 x 5 @ 65 lb

Oddly, even though I really struggle with the squats, my legs just feel mildly heavy and stiff afterwards, not sore. I get more sore when I go slightly lighter and do 8-12 reps. Maybe that means I should do that every so often?

My left glute a little lower than my lower left back is bothering me. It was ok when I walked to the gym, but when I pulled a 45 plate off the barbell to get ready for my bench press, my hip hurt as I knelt down a bit to hang the 45 on the rack. Then it acted up again when I put a 60 lb fixed barbell back on a rack. It's not the exercises but the getting the weights off of wherever they're sitting, and putting them back, that's the problem! BAH

Made an appointment for a sports deep tissue massage for tomorrow afternoon. I'll definitely need hip/lower to mid back/quad work.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    @lkpducky Oooo a deep tissue massage sounds amazing!
  • lkpducky
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 The results will be amazing but I fear it will hurt like hell. I need it though. It's a good preventive measure.
  • jowaring
    Options
    Today's workout, decided to do lighter squats today my legs were still so sore from Mondays workout.
    Squats 1x10@45lbs.5x10@55lbs.
    Bench 2x5@45lbs.1x5@55lbs.5x5@60lbs. Tried to do reps of 6 but just couldn't get that 6th one.
    Rows.1x5@60lbs 6x5@67lbs.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Went out this morning and picked up 2.5lb and 5lb plates. I'm so excited, I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

Today's Workout: A

Squat: 2x5 - 65, 2x5 - 70, 5x5 - 75
    Bench: 2x5 - 45, 5x5 - 50
    Row: 2x5 - 45, 5x5 - 50

I'm looking forward to being able to progress steadily this time instead of getting stalled out because I couldn't do the jump to the larger plates we had.