Janu-ready for a new You (January workout thread)

Options
1234568»

Replies

• amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Squats 3x5 @ 125
    Deadlift 2x5 @ 130 (1 set conventional, 1 sumo just for kicks)

Rib was sore, then when I got home I sneezed and....ohhhhh that is bad. Whplease side seized up. I might be taking a few days off, which is so frustrating right now!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,988 Member
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 that sucks! I hope that clears up soon!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options

front squats - 2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 3x8 @ 85
    cleans - 2x8 @ 45, rough couple of sets working on the form so had to pause often to set up and had a couple fail attempts during, 1x6 @ 65 and 1x5 @ 65
    deadlifts 1x8 @ 135, 1x5 @ 155 and 3x5 @ 185
    30 minute walk on treadmill
  • lkpducky
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sports massage went very well. He got all the right spots and didn't kill me in the process. He advised me to do neck exercises because the neck tightness is probably not helping my shoulders. The guy knows what he's doing. I feel a lot better. My left hip still has a painful spot - this must be a pulled muscle. I may have to stick with upper body tomorrow (OHP). Squats might be okay but deadlifts are a no go.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    squats, i did dumbbell goblets mostly. then at the end of the session i got in the rack and did 5 sets of 5 front squats/5 back, with the bar. i can't tell what i think or how i feel about them, but i expect tomorrow i'm going to be glad it's a bus/nolift day.

Since I was doing goblet squats before my shoulder was up to my doing back squats, I was wondering whether to do back squats on every other workout, goblet on every other. But you're doing 3 types of squats? so I'd be OK doing 5x5 goblet, 5x5 back in the same session rather than divvying them up?

I've been wondering the same about bench press. I was doing db bench press until 2 weeks ago, then shifted to barbell now that I'm more confident that I won't miss the catches and drop the barbell on my pea-sized head. Would I benefit by doing db in one session, barbell the next bench press session, etc etc?

Same with OHP - alternating db and barbell?
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    January was the month I started SL and I've been making a bit of progress! Everything 5x5, adding 5lb, except DL 1x5 and adding 10 at a time. I started very low:

Squat went from 15 to 40
    OHP 15 to 25
    Bench 15 to 30
    Row 15 to 25
    DL 15 to 35

Havent failed a rep yet, but I anticipate OHP will be the one that gives me problems first.

I'm using dumbells and light barbells for everything until I can find a gym with a squat rack. Doing goblet squats, hoping I can make the transition to back squats when I have to.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    squats, i did dumbbell goblets mostly. then at the end of the session i got in the rack and did 5 sets of 5 front squats/5 back, with the bar. i can't tell what i think or how i feel about them, but i expect tomorrow i'm going to be glad it's a bus/nolift day.

Since I was doing goblet squats before my shoulder was up to my doing back squats, I was wondering whether to do back squats on every other workout, goblet on every other. But you're doing 3 types of squats? so I'd be OK doing 5x5 goblet, 5x5 back in the same session rather than divvying them up?

heh. i have noooooo authority to advise anyone about squats. i just do all three because the first two are my hopeful attempt to make the traditional kind workable for me again. so i do front and goblet, and then i try it out on the back squats. i think i'm more of a horrible warning than any kind of example for other people.

ftr, i do front squats because go figure, they actually seem to make me use more glute than my form of back squat. plus i can 'feel' the gravity of the bar better and know where it's passing through me into the ground . . . idk, i just seem to be more copacetic with them. and i like what they do for my abs :tongue: goblets are very new and they're just another last-ditch attempt to find some way somehow of sneaking 'makes sense' into my body where squatting's concerned.

on that note i stopped off today and did it again. january is just a writeoff, too many people also wanting rack time. i don't get to do the experimenting that lets me figure out what i might be able to actually do for work sets, so i just jumped five pounds for five sets, and did 5 front followed by 5 back with each set.

no hope of getting bench time so i didn't wait around. idk if i'll try again tomorrow or not, but at least i did 5x10 with bench earlier so i guess that will count for something until the crowds settle down in the gym.

got home to a note on my door that said 'if your car is missing it was toad'. then they crossed out the a and put an e in there instead :smiley: luckily it wasn't my car, but it kind of brought home that without the note i'd be quite capable of not noticing it wasn't there until friday.

• amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

I've been wondering the same about bench press. I was doing db bench press until 2 weeks ago, then shifted to barbell now that I'm more confident that I won't miss the catches and drop the barbell on my pea-sized head. Would I benefit by doing db in one session, barbell the next bench press session, etc etc?

Same with OHP - alternating db and barbell?

5x5 of two different sets of squats (50 total) seems like a lot in one session, especially once the weights increase. Maybe alternate days?
  • lkpducky
    edited February 2017
    Options
    got home to a note on my door that said 'if your car is missing it was toad'.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride? :-P https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Toad's_Wild_Ride

Thanks - alternate sessions do sound like the way to go.

• lkpducky
    Options
    My left hip is still sore so upper body only.

Dumbbell OHP - 2 x 10 @ 10 lb, 5 x 5 @ 15 lb, 5 x 5 @ 16 lb (yay for microweights)
    Dumbbell bicep curls 2 x 10 @ 10 lb, 5 x 5 @ 15 lb, 2 x 5 @ 16 lb
    3 sets of pushups - 20, 15, 12
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

\o/ poop-poop \o/