Those working on those last 10-15?

Options
123457»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Regarding NAFLD (non alcoholic fatty liver disease). I have DM2 (type 2 diabetes). 12 years now. DM2 is caused by high IR (insulin resistance) by making your pancreas "fail" by eating too much sugar. Especially too much fructose. Table sugar (sucrose) is one molecule of glucose + one molecule of fructose.

Up until last year, I basically lived on sugar.

When I eat too many carbs my IR goes up. When my IR goes up my FBG (fasting blood glucose) and PPBG (after eating glucose) starts to go up. If my IR stays high my liver enzymes (AST and ALT) start to go up. The carbs are causing the liver inflammation.

The two best ways to lower IR is exercise and LCHF.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

Any thoughts about whether T2Ds should get periodic OGTTs with insulin assays (as recommended by Joseph Kraft), or just the insulin?
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Great information baconslave and tsazani. Still sitting on the fence regarding LCHF. Have to change my mindset I think of fat as grease. Sensitive to dairy, left my relationship with refined sugar and entertain no grains. Love my vegetables and minimal fruit. Probably have to rework my meal plans somehow, not sure how.
  • MissMorts
    MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Time for a bump... hows everyone’s progress?
    I seem to have hit an immovable plateau after losing then regaining some lbs over then after Christmas... yes I’m one of the strange people who managed to lose over Xmas while being relatively careful but relaxed (hey it was Xmas!) and then managed to pu everything back on when returning to exercise and work and getting back to strict.... Super frustrating! :/
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight...I'm still 150 +/-5

However...2 of my 3 pairs of jeans are too big...I can take them off without unbuttoning them...so it's time to shop...and I just bought these last September...also, it appears to me that my love handles are visibly smaller...
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Cstehansen, that is helpful information. I’ve found over the last month that I feel the need to snack and will try upping my protein. Even though I try to stick with low carb snacks, I’m obviously going over my calorie goals and starting to gain rather than lose. Protein may do the trick so I don’t feel like reaching for more food in general.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    taylok23 wrote: »
    Cstehansen, that is helpful information. I’ve found over the last month that I feel the need to snack and will try upping my protein. Even though I try to stick with low carb snacks, I’m obviously going over my calorie goals and starting to gain rather than lose. Protein may do the trick so I don’t feel like reaching for more food in general.

Protein will definitely help. I know I can only eat so much protein and I am beyond stuffed, but give me other low carb foods (almond flour muffins and such) and I can eat and eat. Fat just doesn't do the same thing to me as protein does for satiation. But we are all so different and I think the only thing you can do is experiment. Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MissMorts wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Time for a bump... hows everyone’s progress?
    I seem to have hit an immovable plateau after losing then regaining some lbs over then after Christmas... yes I’m one of the strange people who managed to lose over Xmas while being relatively careful but relaxed (hey it was Xmas!) and then managed to pu everything back on when returning to exercise and work and getting back to strict.... Super frustrating! :/

I'm still stuck, more or less. I'm now in year two post-menopause, and hope things are settling in that regard!
    But like tcunbeliever, my pants have gotten baggier in the last 6 months, so there's that.

I'm sitting about 8Lbs above my happy range.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I've been sitting at about 15-20lbs from my goal weight for a while now. I think there are a few factors why things have slowed down. First is winter, I have a horrible time dropping weight during the winter no matter what I do. Second is reduced activity, this work and school semester schedule really put a damper on my workout routine. If I go back to losing a pound or two a week in May that is probably the main culprit. Third, I've been a bit lax on my diet plan the past few weeks but ended up losing a pound anyway and then watch the scale bounce for a while (it happens). Since there is nothing I can do about my time at the moment I am concentrating on higher protein and less carbs to see if that starts trending towards loss. Otherwise I feel great and I am happy with losing 42 pounds in less than a year, even with all my mistakes along the way. I've been meditating (sitting 20+ minutes a day for a class) since January and I must say it has helped me deal with life in general much better. I am a firm believer that a mind/body approach to any weight loss journey is the way to go since stress makes it much more difficult to stay on track and lose weight (in my opinion).
  • melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been 10lbs away from where I want to be for about 6 months now it seems. I mentioned before in other threads I've also gained a couple pounds. I'm trying to be more diligent in eating my fat and tracking and seeing where that takes me.

I've also started lifting and running more consistently and that always seems to make me gain weight regardless. There's always that spike the day after lifting, but the downwards treads stalls or goes up. It's frustrating but I enjoy working out, so I haven't given up yet....but the weight never goes away as fast as it would with diet alone.

I keep track of inches and unfortunately my inches aren't going down either. So...sad face.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm new to this forum. I've been on this journey (this time around) since January 2018. (I got to my happy weight in 2011 but spent the next 5 to 6 years gaining in back. It gets harder the older I get, of course. I'm 38.) I started this time around with calorie restriction, but then I read The Obesity Code in Feb and have been doing LCHF ever since. I've lost 22 pounds and have 14 to go..... I've been seeing the same 4 pounds come and go for about 2 weeks now. Keeping with it, though. I've stalled before and I know it will eventually start dropping again. I also try to fast on an 18:6 schedule daily, putting of eating until noon and then eating dinner by 6pm, when possible. Slowly getting there but I know these last 14 are not going to come off as easily as the first 22 did.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I will pop into this convo! I had a 10 lb goal in mid-Feb and have so far lost 8.5. I'm mainly interested in keto to stay at this weight...eating carbs=cravings for me and that's when I start to backslide, and I like how keto makes me not hungry and eat only till full.

If I lost another 5 lbs, that would make me high school weight--not bad for a 44 year old mom of 3!!! But either way, if I can just stay on this to stick at my happy weight, I will indeed be happy!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    Bump up for newbies, etc.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have been keto for a few years, but I gained weight on keto alone. It wasn’t until recently that I started losing weight by tracking calories with a food scale. I am using the ketogains calculator with a 20% deficit and .8g of protein per lean body mass. I have lost 4 lbs over a month and have about 5-10 lbs to go before I will start bulking or maintaining. I do resistance training every day but according to the ketogains calculator that is only burning 50-90 calories a day, so I am doing it more for strengths than weight loss.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I have been keto for a few years, but I gained weight on keto alone. It wasn’t until recently that I started losing weight by tracking calories with a food scale. I am using the ketogains calculator with a 20% deficit and .8g of protein per lean body mass. I have lost 4 lbs over a month and have about 5-10 lbs to go before I will start bulking or maintaining. I do resistance training every day but according to the ketogains calculator that is only burning 50-90 calories a day, so I am doing it more for strengths than weight loss.

Exercise is great for many reasons, but pounds are lost in the kitchen and ounces in the gym. Exercise is not an effective weight loss tool. Again, it is important and I highly recommend it - just not for losing weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I just wanted to share my recent experience. Weight is secondary for me. BG control is my aim. I am 6'1" and had been hanging around in the 190 range for a while with a spike up to 195 after a cruise in February.

As an avid n=1 guy, I have been trying a lazy modified protein sparing fast as described by Dr. Gerber (Denver's Diet Doctor). Basically, it is bumping up the protein and bumping down the fat. Not extreme. Macros went from about 75/20/5 (F/P/C) to about 62/33/5. I basically just haven't diligently added fat to things to get this change.

What I found is calories spontaneously went down because the protein is more filling from averaging around 3100-3300 down to about 2200-2400. As a result, the scale has gone from 195 the day I got back from my cruise on 2/18 down to 181 now.

Dr. Gerber talks about doing this periodically but not for more than 2-3 months. Even so, I don't have my protein as high as most would who are doing this, so I could probably go longer. At this point, I think my wife will start complaining if I lose more than a few more pounds. I am very active, so bf% is down around 15% now. At my age, getting that super ripped, see every striation in my muscles body is just not that important anymore.

I am sharing this just because I thought some might benefit from trying this to break that last barrier to your final weight goal.

Nicely said.

I am trying to up my protein because I cannot overeat protein. That's a huge plus right now for me because I WAS within about 5lbs of goal and then I ate too many carbs which result in eating too many calories. I don't have a trigger food, I have a trigger macro. ;) Anyways, I regained some weight and am much farther from goal than I'd like to be.

Because I have a hard time increasing protein, and because carbs make me hungry, I've gone carnivore again for a while. It's the easiest way to bump protein for me. ;) And it works well. I am much less hungry and I seem to be staying below maintenance calories because I am losing steadily. I am guessing that I am below 1600 on most days but I haven't weighed or counted anything. Yay protein!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    For me: I cannot exercise off a bad diet. Believe me, I've tried! I am about 15-20 lbs off my ideal weight and have come back to this forum (yay!) and have begun logging my food (usually on scrap paper!) My diet is also a "head game". I must commit mentally and then follow through with my actions (note: not just words). Logging is a big help as I can visually see what is left in the food bank and not overdraw.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I just wanted to share my recent experience. Weight is secondary for me. BG control is my aim. I am 6'1" and had been hanging around in the 190 range for a while with a spike up to 195 after a cruise in February.

As an avid n=1 guy, I have been trying a lazy modified protein sparing fast as described by Dr. Gerber (Denver's Diet Doctor). Basically, it is bumping up the protein and bumping down the fat. Not extreme. Macros went from about 75/20/5 (F/P/C) to about 62/33/5. I basically just haven't diligently added fat to things to get this change.

What I found is calories spontaneously went down because the protein is more filling from averaging around 3100-3300 down to about 2200-2400. As a result, the scale has gone from 195 the day I got back from my cruise on 2/18 down to 181 now.

Dr. Gerber talks about doing this periodically but not for more than 2-3 months. Even so, I don't have my protein as high as most would who are doing this, so I could probably go longer. At this point, I think my wife will start complaining if I lose more than a few more pounds. I am very active, so bf% is down around 15% now. At my age, getting that super ripped, see every striation in my muscles body is just not that important anymore.

I am sharing this just because I thought some might benefit from trying this to break that last barrier to your final weight goal.

Nicely said.

I am trying to up my protein because I cannot overeat protein. That's a huge plus right now for me because I WAS within about 5lbs of goal and then I ate too many carbs which result in eating too many calories. I don't have a trigger food, I have a trigger macro. ;) Anyways, I regained some weight and am much farther from goal than I'd like to be.

Because I have a hard time increasing protein, and because carbs make me hungry, I've gone carnivore again for a while. It's the easiest way to bump protein for me. ;) And it works well. I am much less hungry and I seem to be staying below maintenance calories because I am losing steadily. I am guessing that I am below 1600 on most days but I haven't weighed or counted anything. Yay protein!

Glad this is working for you. The easiest way for me to up protein was tuna with egg. I did both a tuna salad that way as well as making a sort of crustless quiche where I mixed it all up in a glass dish and microwaved it. I did add some seasonings I happen to like to that, but it made for a really easy lunch using a glass storage container. I just made it in the morning and nuked it at work.

If you ever want to up protein without adding a lot of fat, seafood like sardines, salmon and tuna work great because they have really good fats that most people don't get enough of (Omega 3's) but not a lot of it compared to protein - and it is a complete protein.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Nicely said.

Glad this is working for you. The easiest way for me to up protein was tuna with egg. I did both a tuna salad that way as well as making a sort of crustless quiche where I mixed it all up in a glass dish and microwaved it. I did add some seasonings I happen to like to that, but it made for a really easy lunch using a glass storage container. I just made it in the morning and nuked it at work.

If you ever want to up protein without adding a lot of fat, seafood like sardines, salmon and tuna work great because they have really good fats that most people don't get enough of (Omega 3's) but not a lot of it compared to protein - and it is a complete protein.

Canned seafood works really well. So true! I try to have a can of some sort of seafood every day for the very reason that it is high in protein. The classic high protein food or a chicken breast is not one of my favorites, so seafood fits me nicely.

I usually add a plain protein powder to my coffee as a whitener too. I like the taste. I just need to be careful the coffee is not too hot or the whey curdles. Gross. ;)

I think I'll try "quiche" in the next few days. Good idea. :)
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Exercise is great for many reasons, but pounds are lost in the kitchen and ounces in the gym. Exercise is not an effective weight loss tool. Again, it is important and I highly recommend it - just not for losing weight.

Yea totally it’s pretty easy to eat back those calories especially because you’re hungrier. Of course it’s much easier to start bulking (if that’s eventually your goal) after you’ve already been doing some resistance training. At least I would suspect so, I haven’t really diligently bulked ever. But I plan to. And of course as you said it’s healthy regardless.