Non Scale Victories!

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I've been lucky so far, Kimber, in that I always managed so far to come back down by the time of my official weigh in day, so that I'd at least break even. I'll be out of town this week, so I'm not to going to be able to log, but I'm anticipating a bit of a gain next week. So you'll be my inspiration if my fears come true! lol
  • gazellefish
    gazellefish Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by cholesterol! I hadn't been specifically working on it but even at 30lbs down my numbers fell and my doctor was soooooo pleased!
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think I should have gotten a checkup and blood work before I started losing weight. It would be interesting to know the changes.

I know my blood pressure was on the high end of the normal range when I went to the eye doctor a couple weeks after I started, but other than that I haven't been to a doctor of any kind in probably four years.

Oh well, I'm sure it's improving even if I'll never know the details.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    kimbermak wrote: »
    This may not seem like a victory, but I'm using it as a victorious motivator for future loss. I started my weight loss in Mid January and last week was the very first week I had a weight gain. 21 WEEKS IN AND NO GAIN. I'll take it!! I had a few 0 weeks, but they don't count. So I am not as bummed today about a .8 lb gain as I was yesterday. I am starting a new streak of loss without gain. I am going to try to beat my 21 weeks streak.

I've had a few days that have been higher than day before. I have also had days far lower than they should have been. I had 1 day where I came in at 123.2 kg and next at 125. I think the app people use to track trends might be good but I just shrug and keep focusing on the day I am on. The scale is days gone by and I cant change them anyway.

Still 21 weeks is great!
  • kimbermak
    kimbermak Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Way to go "thewindandthework"!!! I too was tired of wearing bagging pants but didn't want to spend the money on new ones only to shrink out of them in a few months, but I bit the bullet and bought a pair of jeans, a pair of capris and a pair of shorts. I feel so much better and don't look as frumpy. It's given me a goal to shrink out of these quicker so I can buy the next size down.
  • Okiludy
    Options
    My work gives me free access to multiple gyms, pools, and personal trainers on island. This week I found one that is certified in the olympic lifts with the barbell. I had been lifting for a couple of weeks now but wanted to step it up but doing it right so I did not hurt myself.

Anyway I learned the Power Clean and found my other lifts are very close to correct. Few tweaks and I'll be right and they are easy! I also found out that I can deadlift 300lbs fairly easy and can/should increase my lift weight on a few exercises a bit more.

I highly recommend getting a certified trainer on lifts you want to do and getting a session if you can. The confidence of knowing I am lifting correctly and that my form is good really is letting me push more. Now if only the t-storms would go away so pools could open back up at lunch.

P.S Incase any wondering I am doing the Starting Strength program but still eating at a deficit. I also so 20-40min of cardio after lifting and hit the pool at lunch if open. Lifts are every other day.
  • kimbermak
    kimbermak Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    P.S Incase any wondering I am doing the Starting Strength program but still eating at a deficit. I also so 20-40min of cardio after lifting and hit the pool at lunch if open. Lifts are every other day.

Just reading that made me exhausted!!!! Great workout routine!

• gazellefish
    Options
    When none of your bras fit AND when you measure and learn that you've lost a cup size but not a band size...

:(

#weightlossproblems

• Okiludy
    Options
    I started lifting weights on June 7th. I did about a week of Stronglifts 5x5 until I found it was basically a rip off of Starting Strength. I don't know that for sure but one preceded the other and they are remarkably similar.

So I have only been lifting for 3 weeks seriously again. I was a US Marine 16 years ago so I do have experience in both endurance and strength training. Sure my knowledge was dated and weights off, along with being morbidly obese now. Still that may help my current training but with such a long break I kind of doubt it.

So here are my starting and current working set weights for the program:

WORKOUT A
    Squat 3×5 – June 7th - 45lbs July 2nd - 140lbs
    Press 3×5 – June 7th - 45lbs June 30th - 85lbs
    Deadlift 1×5 – June 7th - 65lbs July 2nd - 260lbs

WORKOUT B
    Squat 3×5 – June 7th - 45lbs July 2nd - 140lbs
    Bench 3×5 – June 9th - 45lbs July 2nd - 135lbs!
    Deadlift 1×5 – June 7th - 65lbs July 2nd 260lbs

For those that don't lift the 3x5 means I need to lift the weight 5 times for a set, and 3 sets to complete that exercise. I also do this in best form I can. My bench and squat are best on form but deadlift is not bad. My overhead press is not good IMHO and I put a bunch of lower back tension with squats and deadlift on same day. Doing standing press might be a bit much for me and moving to a seated one next workout.

Anyway I felt so strong today. I am past the small plates on the bench and even when I was in the Marines I had trouble with the bench. Having a 45lbs plate on both side of the bar and lifting it for my 3x5 after warmups really gave me an ego boost!

The downside to all this is I have had to drop my loss rate to .5kg a week. If I eat less than this I just can not keep progressing on lifts or it takes me longer to recover slowing down my strength goals. My new goals is to keep progressing on strength while slowly cutting weight. It's going to take me much longer to get to a decent weight but I don't mind if life is easier from increased strength.

• Okiludy
    Options
    TheVonada wrote: »
    Was throwing on clothes to do my post-work workout today, I picked up a shirt from my summer as an intern in 2009. Figured "eh, it might fit" and put it on.
    Turns out, it fits better than it did 8 years ago!!

Also, someone who just met me a few weeks ago was going through my Facebook profile pictures today and texted me to say they didn't realize how much weight I'd lost and how proud of me they were for doing this, because of how "good" I look now. (I don't see myself looking "good," yet. "Better," maybe, but....)

That is awesome! I would take any compliment like that :) I did same thing last week and found most of the 2xl stuff from years ago now fits. Such a bonus to find I don't need to buy new stuff for workout clothing. Oh all the 3xl stuff I put in recycle bin. I will never be that big again and don't need it!
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I was tested with both a buffet for lunch and dinner at my mother's house yesterday, and I didn't overeat at either!

I don't actually know many calories I ate, but I feel great about my choices and restraint. Major NSV for me.
  • gazellefish
    Options
    Even though I'm up a pound (holiday? water weight? salt? who knows?) today I saw one of our field service techs this morning at work and he said, "Man, everyone is losing weight!" He's one of the first people to notice, and it felt awesome!
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a 3 day vacation at the beach/coast. I did a bit of preplanning, and was able to stay on my woe fairly easily. Next week a 4 day trip up to visit the grandparents. Why does that seem like it is going to be so much harder? But at least I have momentum built.
  • Nerdbear88
    Nerdbear88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I can fit into large size t-shirts. Not bad considering I was wearing 4xl's two year ago.
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Even though the scale hasn't moved in a month I've lost half an inch off my hips and a half an inch off my upper arms. That brings my hip total to 6 inches since January.