Workout check-in: You all deserve a (p)real good hand of applause! :)

Replies

• chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm also terrified of heights. I refuse to go bouldering. But toproping with a harness for some reason is fine for me.

I've also heard that climbing builds the most strength pound for pound, while weight training builds more overall muscle mass. I think the women in this group are proof that weight training doesn't bulk you up.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Wide grip bench - 1x10 @ 45, 2x10 @ 55, 1x8 @ 65 (all with three count pauses)
    overhead tricep extension with rope - 2x10 @ 40
    tricep pushdown with bar - 3x10 @ 60
    preacher curl - 2x10 @ the curl bar
    standing calf raises - 2x20 @ 140
    dip machine - 2x10 @ 75
    treadmill - 20 minutes at a 5 incline, 3 speed then a little over 5 minutes cool down decreasing the incline
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    I will smother him with a pillow. Full stop. He won't even see it coming.

push him off the next rock you go up :smiley:

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    I'm also terrified of heights. I refuse to go bouldering. But toproping with a harness for some reason is fine for me.

I've also heard that climbing builds the most strength pound for pound, while weight training builds more overall muscle mass. I think the women in this group are proof that weight training doesn't bulk you up.

Climbing will definitely give you "real world strength" for, well, climbing, lol. It's a good complement to a weight lifting routine (as is the weight lifting routine to climbing). People seem so set to finding the ONE TRUE MAGIC THING I think a lot of them have lost the perspective that doing a bit of everything is not a bad thing. Especially if one of the things is more enjoyable to you, even if it's not entirely optimal.

Also, weight lifting CAN make you bulky, even as a woman. I've put on some decent mass (had lost a bit but it's slowly creeping back, I just need to lose weight now, lol), and personally I don't mind looking strong (def not going for the bodybuilder look. Think more, crossfit body without the steroids? ha).

Women afraid of building some muscles has got to stop being a thing. Men are just afraid you're gonna suddenly take their manly-hood away, I think xD Most of them will be all RAWR THAT'S UGLY while secretly thinking you're hot ;)
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Developing skill in any athletic or fitness genre brings "real world" benefits. My hubs and I just watched the most ridiculous show on Netflix called Beast master (kind of a rip off of American Ninja Warrior) and then mountain climbers did the best in the obstacle course across the board, but there were athletes of all kinds who were amazingly skilled. Being a dancer for many years gave me more strength and agility than you'd expect even being overweight, and taught me to improvise and make quick changes to correct for balance issues, music cutting out, partner missing a cue, etc. Gymnastics gave me explosive power. Lifting now lets me pick up my toddler and get up from the floor with her much more easily, and my posture is back. And as for bulky? My calves look fabulous, I'm regaining quad definition, my waist and butt have shrunk, and I'm gaining definition in my arms and back. Husband definitely approves and was impressed that i can pick him up (he finally outweighs me again). Your bf needs to stuff it!
  • krokador
    As an addendum to my earlier post, just to make sure I don't scare anyone away: you won't magically put on pounds of muscle overnight, either! My point was that building muscle happens when you get stronger, in different ways for everyone. Everyone has different tastes, for sure, but the whole perception that women should be "toned and lean" or whatever, if that even means anything... it's stupid.

Someone who lifts weights and feels strong is confident > someone hunched forward with no muscle tone and no energy. ;)

PHUL upper hypertrophy was on my plate today (aka full on bro sesh!). I left my phone at home AGAIN somehow... ugh. So no music, no times, but it actually went pretty well despite my utter confusion whether today was upper or lower xD

Incline barbell bench 45x8, 55x5, 65x12, 75x11, 75x11, 75x10

seated cable rows 55x10, 70x12, 75x11, 75x10, 75x12

flat DB flyes 12.5x12, 15x3x12
    (super set with) 1 arm Db row 25x12, 30x12, 35x12, 37.5x12

slightly bent over lateral raises 10x4x12 (well, I think I actually did 10 reps on my 3rd set... hazy memory)

incline db curls 10x12, 15x2x12, 17.5x12

rope triceps pushdown 45x12, 55x2x12, 60x10

ez bar curls & close grip ohp @20lbs to failure(ish)
    I stopped a 20 reps each, felt like my sleeves were gonna tear (the t-shirt I was wearing is already pretty tight there xD)

I had fun! Just not enough time to do my mobility work. So, will try to get it done at home tonight :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 80

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-13X7X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    I switched to the buns and guns and abs challenge. Because I did not want my shoulder to go out again.
    7 push-ups
    25 leg lifts

April move your @$$ Challenge
    A little cold today! I am going to take 2-2 mile walk today. Just getting ready to go on the first of my 2 mile walks today.
  • krokador
    Leg day hit me something hard! I am NOT used to high rep sets anymore! I could def. feel the burn on most of these!

15 hero manmakers as part of a warm-up

Front squats
    45x8, 55x6, 65x12, 70x12, 75x12, 80x10

Barbell alternating drop lunge
    35x10, 40x10, 45x10, 45x9, 50x8

funny story. I was wearing my Atlas arm band for the first time in a while, and tried to do a freestyle workout with deadlift, front squats and prisonner lunges loaded on it to detect. All my front squats came out as deadlifts... and all my lunges came out as front squats. :|

I switched to cardio mode after that... :/ anyways, it was leg machine stuff, it wouldn't have figured anything out anyway

Seated leg curls
    60x15, 65x15, 70x15

leg extensions
    30x15, 45x15, 45x15, 50x15

KB benchmark: 5 min AMRAP alternating power snatch (35lbs). Total: 59 (I finished the 60th to make it 30 per side anyway)

seated calf raises
    45x15, 50x12, 55x12, 60x14

aaaand done. I never got my hip kneeling routine done yesterday, so that's on tap for tonight. Ad hopefully the weather cooperates for my lunchbreak walk. Tomorrow is rest daaaayyyyy!!! :)
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-13X7X 35

Buns, Guns and Abs challenge.
    20 squats
    8 push-ups
    30 leg lifts

It feels like winter again! I am going to take 2-2 mile walks today. Just getting ready to go on my first walk!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Thanks for all the responses! I do understand that women will gain muscle mass, but not in the way that guys do for sure. My man had a neck injury in the past couple of years and is still trying to claw back some of his strength so I feel like maybe he feels a bit threatened? At any rate I think it's kind of silly.

I like the climbing as a compliment. It helps me focus on my upper body when I'm lifting , whereas I would default to just perfecting my squat and deadlift. So it's a good thing. It also encourages me to add a few extras to the workouts, like pull-ups, lat pull downs, etc.

Last night at the gym. Did 5x3 sets of squats at 50 lbs (fatigue was strong with this one). I'll do a full 5x5 set at the same weight next time. Bench was a strong 60 lbs, although that is a step back from 70 lbs. 65 lbs row, which was easy. I don't think that I needed to deload that one. I followed that up with 80 lbs lat pull downs and 60 lbs weighted carry (dumbells). I'm trying to work on my grip strength in addition to all the other stuff.

I may or may not get another training session in before we leave for holidays. We'll have to see.
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    edited April 2017
    Stronglifts day

5x5 squats 135 (WU: 1x5 air, 45, 65, 95, 115). Finally got the big 45s on there and feeling really proud. Struggled through the set and took many breaks. Will stay at this weight for the rest of the week.

4x5 OH 45, 1x5 50 - Was so tired after the squats that I deloaded to 45 and worked on form, pushing hips forward and letting the head follow through the bar.

1x5 DL 165 (WU: 1x5 95, 115, 135, 155). Whoot!!

The lifts have been getting pretty fatiguing this week. Around this time last month I made a goal:
    My goal is to add 50lbs to my squats and 75 to DLs over the next 2 mo and maintain around there 2x a week until the marathon.

I just realized if I slow my roll and increase 5lbs on squats every Wednesday, and increase DL by 5bs every workout I can reach my goal within my timeline. And hopefully I can do this safely without injury! Which is the most important part to me.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Squats: 3x3 @ 160
    OHP: 3X5 @ 67
    Deadlifts: 1x3 @ 142, 1x6? 7? I wasn't paying enough attention...at 162. My lower back is a little sore so I think I overdid it a hair, but next week will be one workout short again due to holiday travel.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i was a feeble and fussy bike commuter this evening, and i took my squat shoes but you should have seen me once i dragged my sad little *kitten* to the gym. something i did yesterday gave me a sciatica pinch on one side which has affected everything.

didn't do much, but i was not in the mood to do much.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Kittyfeliz wrote: »
    Hi ladies - I haven't posted since last month, been far too distracted with life. But I had some great victories with my SL 5x5 workout. I decided to deload until I could break parallel in my squats. Well I've FINALLY done it and had a great set today with 60lbs so I'm excited to start adding weight every workout now as long as my form stays OK. I also deloaded my bench press (had been stuck at 57lbs) but after doing 55lbs my last workout, instead of using my fractional plates I decided to give 60lbs a try and banged them right out! Also on Monday I FINALLY was able to OHP the 45lbs bar after working my way up for the last 3 months. I feel like can just now really start progressing in 5x5, it took me months and a lot of trial and error to get here but I'm very excited! I've never been this dedicated to anything! Now if only I would stop eating and drinking everything in sight... :p:#

Naaah... that's how you make them gainz!!!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Squat day:

squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x10 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135, with belt 1x5 @ 165 and 2x5 @ 185
    overload - 245 for 20 count with belt
    single leg press - 3x8 @ 30
    single leg curl - 2x8 @ 40
    leg extension - 2x10 @ 60
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member

Naaah... that's how you make them gainz!!!

Haha! I'm not gonna lie, I had that exact thought when I tried to justify getting into the hummus tonight!
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    I didn't make it to the gym yesterday like planned. S/O was visiting and we went for a fast paced walk in the afternoon, about 3 miles. I might never do SL on Wednesdays anymore with this soccer league I mentioned earlier (first game last night)... this morning it feels like someone used my hip flexors as punching bags. I even stretched them immediately after the game ended. I'm hoping this is maybe due to the walk combined with the soccer? I really feel like I'm getting old sometimes :(
  • amyinthetardis1231
    i was a feeble and fussy bike commuter this evening, and i took my squat shoes but you should have seen me once i dragged my sad little *kitten* to the gym. something i did yesterday gave me a sciatica pinch on one side which has affected everything.

didn't do much, but i was not in the mood to do much.

Feel better soon! I apparently looked so skeptical of my deads that one of my friendly gym regulars grabbed a plate and loaded it for me. He said he wanted to save me some some energy since I'd said I was already tired.
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 15X 95/105/115/120

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 16 X7X35

Buns, Guns and Abs 30 Day Challenge
    25 Squats
    9 push-ups
    30 leg lifts

I am going to take 2-2 mile walk today. Just getting ready to go on the first of my 2 mile walks.