Workout check-in: You all deserve a (p)real good hand of applause! :)

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    @krokador thanks for posting that video on stretching for Jen! I need to do the stretching as well. I like the way that he combines his stretches!

Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-36X7X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Buns, Guns and Abs challenge.
    50 squats
    12 push-ups
    50 leg lifts

April move your @$$ Challenge
    I am going to walk at least 2-2 mile walks today. It might rain but better than -40 F with ice and snow!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Today was sort of a quickie, aside from having to fiddle with my ATLAS tracker cuz I'm trying to teach it my moves. Perhaps doing so on heavy work sets is not the best way to register good form, though xD

Front Squats
    35x5
    45x8
    65x5
    75x12
    80x12
    85x12
    65x8

Romanian deadlift (first time doing these since the lower back spasm that started my downward spiral)
    45x10
    65x15
    75x15
    85x15
    90x12

No twinge in lower back, so I'll knock on wood. My grip was challenged more than anything there! lol

Barbell alternating drop lunges
    45x6
    50x8
    50x8
    45x10

legs were on fire, had a little bit of extra time, but most of my KB rx for the week are super leg heavy. I'm still recovering from the sprints the other day, so I went with:

10 min of easy pace Turkish Get-Ups, 3/side at once
    made it through 5 rounds on each side with a 25lbs DB :)

Really, really need to buckle down and do my mobility work before I get hurt again, though >_> It's easy to skip when there's nothing wrong, but I know if I don't keep it up te issues creep up again.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Squats 3x3 @ 165
    Bench press 3x5 @ 92
    Wretched rows 3x5 @ 102

I'm ready for a couple days off and a little deload! Unfortunately, part of the travels of the weekend is for a funeral (my grandmother passed away), but taking a couple days off from lifting will feel nice. When I get back, I'm toying with the idea of asking my trainer to help me start working toward pull ups to replace rows.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    @krokador Thank you so much for the helpful tips. I will be sure to come up with a routine!

Before my soccer games no one else does any warming up. I did some butt kicks and high knees but felt like everyone was staring at me (they probably weren't). Wait til they see me next week!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    jen_092 wrote: »
    A small part of me wants to stop trying to be active because I didn't have all these aches and injuries when I was just being sedentary.

made me laugh. yup. i know the lip service, but you hang around with any serious powerlifters and when they aren't busy preaching the bulletproofness of being a lifter, they're one-upping each other on injuries. to tell the truth, i don't know if one is any better than the other since you can only walk one road at a time. but i lift because i like it, so i guess i'm down for the extra maintenance stuff.

i like the agile 8 series. not saying i do all of it every time, but once i got the hang of the glute-activation part of them, the hip circles are dramatic for cleaning up 'mice' in my hips. also added the shinbox switches lately, which i got from my weekly-massage experiment. switches from a sitting position are less violent than the mma stuff, and i trust them more right now because i can control the amount of force i'm asking my hips to deal with.

i'm not a fan of clamshells, but i do use a theraband round the knees and do lateral crab walks as a go-to as well. apparently i border on hypermobility in the hips, so a lot of my stuff comes from the ball being sloppily seated in the socket. the theraband is my go-to for re-settling them in a better alignment when i just can't get rid of the catches and clicks.

not lifting today. i biked though, so there's that.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options

Shoulders
    ohp - 2x10 @ 45 and 1x6 @ 65, push press 1x2 @ 65 and 2x6 @ 75
    side lateral raise - 2x10 @ 12.5
    front db raise - 2x10 @ 12.5
    bent over raise - 2x10 @ 10
    leg raise - 2x10 @ bw
    dry sauna for 15 minutes
    60 minutes on treadmill, almost all at 4 incline and 3 speed while reading ptce prep book
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 15X 95/105/115/120

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 20X7X35

Buns, Guns and Abs 30 Day Challenge
    55 Squats
    Rest day push-ups
    50 leg lifts

I am going to take at least 2-2 mile walks today.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    jen_092 wrote: »
    A small part of me wants to stop trying to be active because I didn't have all these aches and injuries when I was just being sedentary.

-snip-

i'm not a fan of clamshells, but i do use a theraband round the knees and do lateral crab walks as a go-to as well. apparently i border on hypermobility in the hips, so a lot of my stuff comes from the ball being sloppily seated in the socket. the theraband is my go-to for re-settling them in a better alignment when i just can't get rid of the catches and clicks.

I hear you! I hate trying to get stronger and only getting injured. Is my body saying that it wants to be weak? I feel like an injury is my body's way of saying "You're not supposed to be strong, you're supposed to sit quietly in a corner and read a book" f--- that for a game of soldiers. My husband doesn't call me "the jumping bean" for nothing.

My physical therapist had me doing clamshells and crabwalks when I had hip and hamstring issues. I don't have hypermobility but my pelvis is slightly rotated (left hip bone juts a bit forward of the right hip bone) and I had weak glutes, so my hamstrings did too much work.

Yesterday:
    Arnold presses 2 x 10 @ 5 lbs warmup, 2 x 10 @ 10 lbs, 2 x 10 @ 12 lbs. Deloading to work on shoulder form.
    Bicep curls 2 x 10 @ 10 lbs, 2 x 10 @ 12 lbs
    Pushups 4 sets of 15

Also had a sports massage to work on my back. The therapist also worked on my shoulders, upper corners of my pecs, glutes (piriformis tightness), tensor fascia lata, and hamstrings. I'd also had left hip issues and the glutes and TFS work was for that. The tight spot in the lower left quadrant of my back is probably affecting the left hip too.

Today: swimming. Crawl stroke for the first time since my shoulder has recovered. Could probably have swam a couple of months ago but didn't get around to it. How do I juggle all the various things I like to do (running, arm crank, lifting, swimming, etc)?
  • canadianlbs
    edited April 2017
    Options
    today was another object lesson in 'and this is what food is for, folks. and water.' i spent most of the day sleeping, which was greeeeaaaaattttt in itself. but didn't eat anything much as a consequence, and didn't drink water as well. t-day workout really showed it. i had press at 50/55/60 and deadlift at 120/135/160 or something for fives, and it took three separate sets of 2, 2 and 1 to do the top set of presses. and on the deadlifts i just stopped completely at three.

the thing was, i felt strong the whole time so i'm not worried about it. it was just that the gas wasn't there.

edit: i put on my theraband in the house and then walked to my car wearing it and drove down there wearing it too. during the drive i did an experiment and shifted it to below my knees, and just blew my own mind with the difference in what that targets. i still like it above the knees for glute medius, but once it crosses your knees it's like it hits you in a whole different zone. more like the deep epicentre of your 'real' hip joint.

lent it to our marathon runner who's been struggling with glute activation and made the same suggestion to her. it was fun to get to actually watch as her own mind blew up. i had to watch her closely to make sure that i got my band back :tongue:
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Glute activation is a huge problem! My PT had me doing clamshells when I had really bad runners knee.

I took a few days off SL and did 1.5h of climbing on Tuesday and another 1h on Thursday. My forearms feel much better now. Will try to do light squats and upper body to round out my SL week 8 tomorrow!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-36X7X 35

Buns, Guns and Abs challenge.
    55 squats
    13 push-ups
    55 leg lifts

I am going to walk at least 2 miles when I walk my dog to where I board him.

I will be MIA until Monday morning. Yes I am bringing my kettle bell! We will be on the road most of the day today and returning Sunday evening. Everybody have a fantastic Easter if you celebrate or have a great weekend!
  • krokador
    Options
    I managed to drag my butt to the gym for upper power session

Bench 105x5, 110x5, 112.5x5, 115x5

Pendlay Rows 85x5, 90x5, 92.x5, 95x5 (+ a power clean at that last weight to get the bar back in the rack. I'm a lil rusty on these)

OHP 65x5, 75x5 (Meant to do 70. lol whoops), 75x4, 77.5x4

Chin-ups & dips (machine assisted) -120x10, -110x10, -100x8, -90x6

hip kneeling routine (about a week late). I finally got it done. And I'm paying the price for not doing it.

Did some sprints yesterday, and my adductors (esp. the right side) are angry at me. Tomorrow being easter, I was already iffy going to the gym for lower power. Given how my lower body feels, I'll stick to some home workout + more mobility work and go on Monday instead.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    30 minutes of pool running. Boy my arms and legs felt tired throughout. Guess yesterday's swim and Thursday's upper body workout took more out of me than I thought.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    lent it to our marathon runner who's been struggling with glute activation and made the same suggestion to her. it was fun to get to actually watch as her own mind blew up. i had to watch her closely to make sure that i got my band back :tongue:

@canadianlbs how high up was the runner wearing the band? I should do that.

• canadianlbs
    edited April 2017
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    @canadianlbs how high up was the runner wearing the band? I should do that.

i didnt' ask her :smile: i think all that matters was, it was below the knee joint. when i was driving with it i put it just under those knobs at the top of your tibia. and then i did yes/nos under the cover of the steering wheel.

when it's above my knees, it really kicks in on my glutes and glute med. but when i had it below, it was like it was activating all the little 'deep' stabilizers instead, things like piriformis and the gemelli muscles and all stuff like that.

it helped me a lot, actually. my own glute meds are not weak :wink: but they're awfully overworked. i've been massaging and rolling and stretching them for weeks and i never have gotten them to a point where they don't yelp when i put pressure on them. but when i think about the mechanics, it seems clear that having the little deep muscles pick up some of the load of controlling my femurs finally gives them a bit of a break.

• canadianlbs
    Options
    wow it was empty in the rec centre. so nice.

i did front/back squat sets in 5lb jumps up to 3x5 at 70, which i'm pleased about because it's a five-pound progression from my last 3x5 set. i'm not sure that my depth was quiiite deep enough - still paranoid about the buttwink so i'd prefer to cut short. but i was happy with everything else, and it felt like my left side was really working for once. i felt solid all the way through. there were no reps i thought were execrable, and there were quite a few of them that felt thoroughly stellar.

given that i went off straight afterwards and did proper foam rolling on the area that always gives me the worst grief in my glute med on the left. i did the actual 'go slow enough to let the muscles actually feel what's happening. find a place that really feels like A Place and stay there, until it calms all the way down and that feeling is gone. and then put it through at least three reps of some move that will activate it, while it still has the full rom.' i don't think it'll save me from doms tomorrow, but the tight spot actually melted, for real. so i'll see. i'm happy with this more specific approach just as an experiment atm.

accessory work that i did was pulldowns because i'm so hipped on the 'strong back strong squat' thing right now, but i don't like to do rows in squat shoes. and then after the foam rolling i did 5 rounds of turkish getups. just with a 3-pound dumbbell, but it's been a long time since i did them and the point was really just more of 'use the muscle you just semi-fixed, in some fully functional way' kind of thing. more of a knit-everything-back-together type thing, or an active cooldown.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    oh. and i wanted to add that i'm not sure why things are different, but i continue to think that being able to get my hands all the way in on the bar is a huge factor in why my squats work when they do work. i'm just not sure how come i can do that now. i'm setting the edge of the inside knurl right down the middle of my index finger when i put my hands on the bar nowadays, and that's tight. the only thing i can think of that's making it possible suddenly is i've been maintaining my lower-trap strength. as soon as i have my hands on the bar, i'm initiating the 'tits up' from there, by pulling the whole of my shoulder into position as my next move. it seems to make enough room that ducking under and getting my back against it feels tight, but it's never uncomfortable.

score one for watching the upla nationals like a serious nerd recently on youtube. just watching the serious powerlifters squat has been infecting me by osmosis, i think. the difference that it's been making is huge.
  • krokador
    Options
    *Grumbles* Adductors still angry with me. It's that stupid "just on the verge of a sprain" feeling I get whenever I lunge or try to push my knees out. In light of this, tomorrow is going to be another light recovery/mobility day. Which is sad because I have the day off and was going to have time to do legs AND sprints so I could proper recover for the NEXT leg session. I'll at least try to make tomorrow a bit more cardio oriented than today.

Shred "warm-up"
    Jumping jacks x50
    rear lunge w/ overhead reach x10/leg
    Push-ups (did 8 full, 4 with knee assist on the way up)
    front lunge + hamstring stretch x10/leg
    Band Pulls x 10 straight, 5 diagonal each side, 10 dislocates, 10 pronated grip pull-aparts, red band. I'm getting stronger at these, which is weird because I'm not trying to. They're purely a warm-up/primer exercise to me. And prior to the layoff, I hadn't been able to do the red band consistently. These days I rarely feel I need to pull out the black band. (We're talking a 5-15lbs resistance difference, depending on how close I take my grip, + the fact the red band hasn't gotten as much use as the black one, lol)
    superman reach and row x10
    hollow rocks x20
    half TGUs x10/side
    speed squats for ~40s, which turned into 12 not-so-deep and very uncomfortable squats.
    leg swings front/back and side to side x10 each

Then the Shred mobility routine (only did 1 round today)
    Groiner to T reach x5/side (focusing on keeping my abs super tight actually kept my groin from feeling all tear-y, so yay?)
    inchworm to up/down dog to sumo squat x10
    big(y) lunge + hammy stretch
    cossack squats x10/side
    1 leg romanian deadlift to toy soldier (controlled kick up to hand in front) x10/side
    slow 8 count burpee x5

Some foam rolling. Especially got into my glutes, hamstrings and psoas. There was no pressure points in my groin, somehow. That left me a little baffled, considering. Oh, and also them lats. They be super tight today!

And I tried to get some core work. Straight leg drops were okay, couldn't do the side ones. Held my side planks for an almost easy minute (is there actually an almost easy for plank? Well, I had a few more seconds in me, but I didn't feel like pushing it). Bird dogs for 10, 12, 15s each. I'm feeling lazy. And I gotta go shower and head over to my grandma's for easter. Even though my mom won't be there.

There's some kind of things changing and falling apart theme going on around me these days. Maybe that's why I'm only three quarters a$$ed about this stuff lately.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options

deadlift - 1x10 @ 115, 1x10 @ 135, 1x6 @ 185, belt 1x5 @ 205, belt+chalk 1x5 @ 235
    sdl on 35 plate - 2x8 @ 155
    yates rows on 35 plate - 2x8 @ 95
    clean - 1x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65, 1x1 then failed attempts at 75 and 1x8 @ 65
    one arm db row - 1x10 @ 40

The deadlifts were okay. Wasn't sure as last time did 8 reps at 185 and it didn't feel quite there this time, but still managed the 235 instead of 225 for 5 reps. Next week get to move to 3 reps instead of 5, woot. The rows were a bit challenging this week and obviously cleans didn't go so well but eh, that's okay. The db row was fine.

• canadianlbs
    Options
    i did my real 3's week bench. which now i think of it was a mistake because that's what this friday is for.

eh, whatever. 65/75/80. except there were no safeties and i didn't even try the 80. couldn't really work out the bench groove, but instead i dropped it to 55 and did 5x10 to replace the last set.

doing pull-down sets of 8 in between at a moderate weight made a bit of difference. well, duh.