Workout check-in: You all deserve a (p)real good hand of applause! :)

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-20X7X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Buns, Guns and Abs Challenge
    60 Squats
    15 push-ups
    Rest day leg lifts

April move your @$$ Challenge
    I am going to take at least 2-2 mile walk today.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Upper Body Accessories

wide grip pause bench - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 2x5 @ 75
    tricep push down with bar - 3x10 @ 80
    overhead tricep extension - 2x10 @ 40
    seated preacher curl - 1x10 @ bar, 2x10 @ bar+10 (tried 10's instead of the 5's but no go)
    walk on treadmill for 40 minutes at 5 incline and 3 speed and 5 minute cool down
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    s.i's going to be a thing for a while i think. well, my chiro warned me it's the kind of thing that does keep on coming back. i'm taking the approach that worked for my wonky t4 a few years ago: monitor and correct on a frequent basis, until it goes away. ima take the attitude that i'm okay as long as a) i can always correct it within a day or two when i catch it, so at least i'll start every workout with a clean slate, and b) it can come back, so long as it's not getting worse every time it comes back.

so far so good by those rules. a locked sacrum is not an easy thing to unlock, but it's partly just because the whole thing is so three-dimensional and i suck at 3-d visualizing. i still don't really get what parts are moving and how, but i've been googling around and youtubing a bit and just generally trying to self-educate.

for today anyway i think i have come up with something that seems to work. so long as i'm ending each day in better shape than i was when i started the day i'll consider myself to be making progress with it.

and i feel strong. i mean, mechanically goofy right now, but i feel like ain't nothing much wrong with the muscles these days.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    gee, i should go try out some turkish getups, if i'm so sure i've got my s.i. realigned.

that'll learn me if it isn't. and if it is, it's just the kind of thing to reinforce 'here's how to move normally' on the part that's been stuck.
  • fanncy0626
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 6X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 40X7X35

Buns, Guns and Abs 30 Day Challenge
    65 Squats
    16 push-ups
    65 leg lifts

Rain all day here! I will take to 2 -2mile walks today!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm back from holidays, but haven't hit the gym yet. Maybe tonight? I don't know. This week looks like it might be busy with kid stuff...

Did loads of walking and bike riding while away... but also did loads of beer drinking... so...
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    the good news: i remembered i need to do 3's of press and deadlift this week, in time to do both.
    the bad news: work-friendly designer wool slacks are a bad thing for deadlifting in.
    the good news: but they're just fine for the overhead press \o/
    the bad news: work-[sort of] friendly boots are not the best thing for overhead press
    the good news: nobody caught me taking them off \o/
    the bad news: i didn't make my top set of 65 for the press
    the good news: but i cleaned 60 very efficiently, twice \o/

the bad news: you can't deadlift in work-friendly slacks.
    the good news: tomorrow is another day. and that hamstring has been acting up, so i didn't want to deadlift today anyway.

also, since i just-couldn't with the 65lb press (i'm being strict about protecting my lumbar, so no laybacks), i went and did pulldowns instead. 3x5. and here's the good bit: i checked the pin quickly before i started and it was at 70. so i went there, because 70 is my dream goal for the overhead press, and i like my own personal rule 'if you can't push it, then you should pull it at least', especially for the upper-body lifts. it was on the close grip palms-facing doohickey, so that was probably part of this.

because i re-checked the pin just to make sure i wasn't over-crediting myself for that 70 after two sets. it was at the NEXT PIN. so the last set was a bit grindy, but i did 3x5 very nice-looking sets of pulldowns at 85 pounds.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 15X 95/105/115/120

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 20X7X35

70 Squats
    18 push-ups
    70 leg lifts

I am going to be on the road most of the day so I will take an evening walk.

*FYI - I strength train right away in the morning. Then the BG&A challenge usually in the afternoon but today I have to do it after SL since I am on the road today. I try to take at least 2-3 long walks during the day. My husband and I do the Kettlebell workout in the evening.
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    So I'm taking a look at my macros and IIFYM suggests 144g protein with 1481 calories a day (for fat loss). How the hell do I get in 144g of protein a day without eating a chicken breast as every meal?
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Kittyfeliz wrote: »
    So I'm taking a look at my macros and IIFYM suggests 144g protein with 1481 calories a day (for fat loss). How the hell do I get in 144g of protein a day without eating a chicken breast as every meal?

The short and easy answer is: you don't need to. You really only need about 1g of protein per pound of LEAN body weight (In my case that's like 120g, and I'm fat, but also bulky).

The slightly longer answer: add in sneaky good stuff, like cheese, eggs, greek yogurt, nuts, etc. Now, I'm one who likes to have meat for at least 3 meals a day, so that easily brings me to 90g right there, and I like to add a protein shake on top. So then all I have to do is add in a few sneaky grams of protein through veggies (you'd be surprised at how much protein mushrooms have! lol), seeds, nuts, cheese, like I said, cereal, bread, pasta... it really all adds up.

Speaking of, I better go get my food ready for tomorrow, I'm gonna try to get up and test that groin in the morning.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    @krokador about to test my groin, too! Soccer is like, so much groin action. Lol
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    Options
    I have done some workouts in the last few days but hadn't properly counted reps. I did more shoulder (OHP and Arnold press), bicep, tricep and pushups because my obliques were killing me from pool running. I must've been holding myself in an odd position because that didn't happen before when I did pool running months ago.

Today:

DB bench press 3 x 10 @ 25 lb dbs, 4 x 5 @ 30 lb dbs
    Romanian deadlifts 2 x 6 @ 70 lb - not chancing more because of my back
    Seated rows - 4 x 8 and I have no idea of the weight because the plate numbers were scratched out
    OHP 30 lb: 1 x 7, 1 x 6, 1 x 5
    Goblet squats 2 x 6 @ 45 lbs, 3 x 5 @ 47.5 lbs

Walked 2 miles
  • jen_092
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My school gym is month to month and I'm waiting til payday to pay another month... So I did higher reps w/ lower weight at home. 4x10 at 40lb for sumo DL with a kettlebell. And 4x10 OHP with ~20lb adjustable mini barbells. Probably best to keep it low since I am way out of whack with my routine anyway.

Also my coed soccer game. Lots of cardio because I play the full hour-I actually can't get a sub unless it's another woman, and we don't have another. Because the rule is 'each team must have a girl on the field at all times'. Is it just me who thinks this is sexist? If I want a break, I can take one, but my team would have to play a player down. (But when men want a break they can sub in for each other.) Also I hate how they all call us girls not women. Sigh

Eta: left groin held up at the game but the right one decided it wanted to hurt so now they're even :D
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    Kittyfeliz wrote: »

The short and easy answer is: you don't need to. You really only need about 1g of protein per pound of LEAN body weight (In my case that's like 120g, and I'm fat, but also bulky).

The slightly longer answer: add in sneaky good stuff, like cheese, eggs, greek yogurt, nuts, etc. Now, I'm one who likes to have meat for at least 3 meals a day, so that easily brings me to 90g right there, and I like to add a protein shake on top. So then all I have to do is add in a few sneaky grams of protein through veggies (you'd be surprised at how much protein mushrooms have! lol), seeds, nuts, cheese, like I said, cereal, bread, pasta... it really all adds up.

Speaking of, I better go get my food ready for tomorrow, I'm gonna try to get up and test that groin in the morning.

Thank you! I don't love eating a lot of meat or cooking so I'm going to have to start doing some prepping I think and more protein shakes. I did ok and even did more than 120g of protein so yay! I guess I'll just think of 144g as extra credit if I can hit 120g or so.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    jen_092 wrote: »
    @krokador about to test my groin, too! Soccer is like, so much groin action. Lol

i was wondering if being left/right-legged is giving you some of the grief that you had. not that i want to paint the whole world with my brush, but my one-sided bike actions have really caused some discrepancies. i'm not just stronger on the dominant side, i've also got really weird mobility/rom discrepancies.

just a thought. it's 3's week but i went and deadlifted today and there was no way i was going to try for 135/155/175 right now. 120 felt heavy :(

so i stayed with 120 and just made a two-hour project out of getting my form RIGHT. everything's sort of wandered off and forgotten how to do things, so i went right back to the rippetoe rules (the ones i remembered) and just worked on executing each of them properly.

each one turned out to be a project in its own right :tongue: so i didn't do 'weight' but i sure did volume.

• fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 6X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 40X7X35

Rest day Squats
    20 push-ups
    75 leg lifts

Rain all day here! I will take to 2 -2mile walks today!

Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd-May20th
    Join us for this challenge by participating on this thread! Tighten up your eating and burn your fat!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10544958/keto-lc-4-week-challenge-april-23rd-may-20th#latest
  • krokador
    Options
    jen_092 wrote: »

Sorry to hear that now it's the other side that's giving you grief. I have found once I go through a few cycles of tenderness though, I get used to it and less brutally sore afterwards. Hopefully it settles down for you soon!

• krokador
    Options
    Well, I finally worked through the fear of injuring that groin and went for a leg day workout. It turned out very, very simple, though.

Back squats
    95x3
    105x5
    115x5
    125x5
    135x5

I wanted to hit 135 for a set. Didn't matter how many reps. I was still fairly explosive on that last rep, so I think I'm leaving some stuff on the table still, but I'd rather ease back into it. My right side hip/lower back still acts up a bit, and I don't want to go back to having it seize up completely :/

Trap bar deads
    120x5
    150x5
    175x5
    195x5
    205x5

It's such an awkward move, it's hard to really work on the hamstrings a lot here, and I can still feel my upper back from having to stabilize that weight. I'd rather be doing conventional deadlifts, but I'll ease back into that, too. Soon.

bulgarian split squats , bodyweight, 6 reps per side. My anterior inner quad on the right side felt super tight and painful when I was doing the reps on the right side. I was going to load it up and keep going, but I just backed off and figured I'd try again another day.

Then finished with straight and side lying leg drop, side planks and bird dogs for the core.

I really wish it would be sunny here a bit. It's hard to motivate myself to go for walks when the weather is so dreary :(
  • jen_092
    Options
    @canadianlbs interesting theory! Ultimately I think the left hurt first because I have lots of weak muscles on that side from the IT band/hip bursitis stuff being on that side. I might be over-compensating with the right, hence the new pain. But it's all pretty mild pain, really (cc @krokador) I think it will be fine! Thanks for well wishes & great job with your workouts!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-20X7X 35

Buns, Guns and Abs Challenge
    75 Squats
    Rest day push-ups
    75 leg lifts

I am going to walk as much as possible today. I will be on the road most of the day. Mall walking!

Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd - May 20th
    Clean your cupboards of temptation and fill them up with food that fits your macros!