Workout check-in: You all deserve a (p)real good hand of applause! :)

Options

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

April move your @$$ Challenge
    I am going to take 2-2 mile walks today.

How do you find the time to take those walks like, every single day? I'm lucky to fit in 1.5 miles on my lunch break :/

Anyways, today was off from the gym, but ON for striking some pavement to get back into running. Shredded in 7, prep week workout (to see if my adductors can handle sprints yet. Judging by the way they feel right now? It's borderline)

4x 60 yards build-ups (start at moderate speed, finish sprinting)
    1x 100 yards sprint @ 80%
    1x 80yd sprint @ 90%
    1x 60yd all out sprint

then I jogged for about 5 minutes to make it back to my apartment, and did the KB meta-strength Rx

2x4min AMRAP, 2 min rest in between:
    1 arm KB squat clean thruster x4/arm (35lbs KB)

I did 3 rounds and a half + 1 on the right, then 4 full rounds on the 2nd go. Added 3 reps on right to even out.

All in all, about 42 minutes of work, 447 cals burned. Not a bad ratio :)

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    @krokador I am old! I am retired and have a German Shepherd that needs to expend his energy as well. At my age my goal is to be the next Ernestine Shepherd. :)
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @jen_092 I also agree with the slow and steady approach.

I may take a week off SL because of the slight hip tendinitis and back pain I was experiencing last week. My glutes are one of my weaker muscle groups often leaving my quads and hip flexors to do the work at the expense of my knees and hips.

Going to try to get back into climbing this week instead.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Long day yesterday since I got stuck cashiering in wine&spirits because the one who works over there called out. We had two on the floor who were both under-aged, so we didn't have many options for who could to cover. Though it's one department where I do not much since I don't know it and even less after they did the reset on the whole department. I didn't even really stock so had some slow times where I studied instead, which the manager didn't mind since I need to get a test date done and get certified for work.

I went to the gym after work since I had a parking spot already and wanted to get a little cardio since didn't get to spend my shift moving around doing stuff.

Upper Accessories
    wide grip bench - 2x10 @ 45, pause 3 count 1x8 @ 55, 1x8 @65 and 1x5 @ 70
    hack squat calf raises - 2x25 @ 90
    tricep pushdown - 3x10 @ 70
    face pull - 2x10 @ 70
    overhead tricep extension - 2x10 @ 40
    single leg cable kickback - 2x15 @ 22.5

walked on treadmill 45 minutes at 5 incline and 3 speed and 15 minute cool down
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Squats 3x3 @ 162
    OHP 3x5 @ 67
    Deadlifts 1x3 @ 167
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i, um, thought the long weekend was the one we just had. got brought back to reality at 9:15 by the city garbage truck going by.

needless to say, it's a gong-show-y day and no kind of lifting was done.
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Taking a squat break.
    5x5 OH 50
    1x5 DL 175 (1x5 95, 115, 135, 1x3 155)

Also did a 1h spin class.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-36X7X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Buns, Guns and Abs challenge.
    45 squats
    10 push-ups
    45 leg lifts

I am going to be at my husbands food show today. And I will be walking for around four hours. Will have to figure out the mileage later.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I was in a hurry yesterday, my DLs were 1x5, not 1x3. Bc you know, it matters so much to a bunch of internet gym rats :tongue:
  • krokador
    Options
    Upper Hypertrophy Week 2 in the books. I'm def fiddling with the exercises here and I'm liking this set-up a lot more than the original program, haha

Incline DB Bench Press 15x10, 20x12, 25x12, 30x12, 30x12, 32.5x10
    (superset) Incline DB Row **same as above, except 12 reps on last set

Cable crossovers 15x12, 15x10, 15x8, 10x12 (love these for chest. Mucho better than flyes! But my strength on these dwindles quickly xD)

straight arm rope pulldown 30x16, 45x16, 50x12, 55x10
    (mid back, wee bit of triceps, rear shoulder stability! All in one!)

2DB squeeze overhead press (its an odd one, but squeeze 2 DBs together at face level, then press overhead. Point is to target the side delts. It worked... somewhat okay. It was experimental instead of lateral raises)
    12x12, 15x12, 15x10, 1 25lbs DB x12

Overhead triceps rope extension (from ground) superset with rope hammer curls
    35x10/12, 30x10/10, 25x12/12, 15x15/15

And cable crunch 90x16, 105x16, 120x16

I'm so sore from yesterday's sprints I fear i may have to postpone tomorrow's leg day and do some yoga instead. I'll still get up early, though!
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    Upper Hypertrophy Week 2 in the books. I'm def fiddling with the exercises here and I'm liking this set-up a lot more than the original program, haha

Incline DB Bench Press 15x10, 20x12, 25x12, 30x12, 30x12, 32.5x10
    (superset) Incline DB Row **same as above, except 12 reps on last set

Cable crossovers 15x12, 15x10, 15x8, 10x12 (love these for chest. Mucho better than flyes! But my strength on these dwindles quickly xD)

straight arm rope pulldown 30x16, 45x16, 50x12, 55x10
    (mid back, wee bit of triceps, rear shoulder stability! All in one!)

2DB squeeze overhead press (its an odd one, but squeeze 2 DBs together at face level, then press overhead. Point is to target the side delts. It worked... somewhat okay. It was experimental instead of lateral raises)
    12x12, 15x12, 15x10, 1 25lbs DB x12

Overhead triceps rope extension (from ground) superset with rope hammer curls
    35x10/12, 30x10/10, 25x12/12, 15x15/15

And cable crunch 90x16, 105x16, 120x16

I'm so sore from yesterday's sprints I fear i may have to postpone tomorrow's leg day and do some yoga instead. I'll still get up early, though!

So much of the stuff you talk about sounds great, and I am always feeling like I lack creativity and inspiration on the lifting side. However, I am also left wishing that I had visuals for a lot of the activities you mention. Although, now that I type this, it sounds weird. But you do make me think!!
  • krokador
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »

So much of the stuff you talk about sounds great, and I am always feeling like I lack creativity and inspiration on the lifting side. However, I am also left wishing that I had visuals for a lot of the activities you mention. Although, now that I type this, it sounds weird. But you do make me think!!

For the most part, a quick search on youtube should provide said visuals fairly accurately. Maybe not the squeeze overhead press, that one I got from some obscure newsletter lol. But if there is a specific exercise you'd like more info on, feel free to ask! :)
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    Options
    Today was the first time I went to the gym since getting sick (the last time was a week before last Friday).

Barbell rows 3 x 10 @ 60 lb on the last set, I thought my stomach was sticking out so I pulled it in. Yes, wrong thing to do. I felt a spasm in my lower left back. I straightened up with no problem but knew something was wrong.
    Attempted OHP but felt a bit of back soreness so I stopped it.
    Then close-grip lat pulldowns 3 x 8 @ 70 lb
    Leg extensions separate legs 1 x 12 @ 40 lb for each leg, 1 x 12 @ 45 lb for each leg, 1 x 8 @ 50 lb for each leg, then 1 x 8 @ 55 lb for each leg
    DB bench press 30 lbs - 1 x 8, 1 x 7, 1 x 7, 1 x 5
    Did not want to chance squats with my back acting up.
    Bugger!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Did not want to chance squats with my back acting up.
    Bugger!

good call, but it's so frustrating to be constantly stopped. i FINALLY went to the gym, and i had my squat shoes. good thing, because 'denial' is going around 5 days of the work week with those shoes in your bag and never taking them out. the gym was busy but i lucked into a rack at just about the right time, and got my bench done as well. it's 5's week.

bench 50/60/70. i have had so much aftermath from that neck thing that tbh this was too heavy for me. but not so much too-heavy that i didn't get 6 reps with it.

squats were routine, actually. same ol' 'well, they felt pretty good but who knows what my form was like for outside people'. on squats the aftermath thing that i've got right now is a biceps femoris that just will not quit on the same side where my s.i. used to be locked. so i dind't know what would happen, but the nice thing was that my front squats are back. it's still so easy for me to drift off-form though, so i took it to 65 and stopped it right there. front-back supersets of 5, for 3 sets.

gave away my massage card to a colleague today. she needed it, i didn't. and i was honestly getting tired of the trek out there and back every week. still, i feel sort of like you do when you do things like that. like, really, i don't want to be going for any more massages. but i guess i'm a little apprehensive about what it will mean that i'm taking a break from the whole massage thing.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options

squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x10 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135, with belt 1x5 @ 165 and 2x5 @ 185
    overload - 20 count @ 255
    single leg curl - 2x9 @ 40
    leg extension - 2x10 @ 70
    single leg press - 3x10 @ 30
    leg press (for fun) - 1x10 @ 180
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-20X7X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Buns, Guns and Abs Challenge
    45 Squats
    10 push-ups
    45 leg lifts

I am going to take 2-2 mile walk today.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    hamstring slowly improving. i'm doing my homework and trying not to re-irritate it. i had a strong ride to work but found myself out of gas when i stopped at the gym later to do 5x10 for ohp and deadlifts.

i did SOME by 10 of each one, but not five.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't have any progress to report with lifting. I strained my groin at soccer tonight. Left side, same side as the hip injury from earlier. I'm getting really frustrated with my body. A small part of me wants to stop trying to be active because I didn't have all these aches and injuries when I was just being sedentary. I know that's wrong, but in this moment I am so, so frustrated.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Bench session after work.

band pull apart - 3x15 with yellow band (need to get the medium one out)
    bench - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 2x5 @ 100
    closed grip bench - 1x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 2x4 @ 85
    incline bench - 1x8 @ 45, 2x5 @ 70
    rotary calf - 2x20 @ 172
    35 minutes on treadmill at 5 incline and 3 speed and 5 minute cool down decreasing incline

• krokador
    Options
    jen_092 wrote: »
    I don't have any progress to report with lifting. I strained my groin at soccer tonight. Left side, same side as the hip injury from earlier. I'm getting really frustrated with my body. A small part of me wants to stop trying to be active because I didn't have all these aches and injuries when I was just being sedentary. I know that's wrong, but in this moment I am so, so frustrated.

Being sedentary for a while is typically the main reason people ARE getting these injuries! Groin/hip stuff is tricky and sucky, I can def vouch for that. My piece of advice for dealing with it is: have a mobility routine that you perform not only before exercises, but on off days for maintenance (where you DO warm-up the adductors to a degree, and perhaps the hamstrings and glutes to wake 'em up. Cossack squats are a staple in any of my warm-ups because I know I have a weakness there)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd5q5SYszYg

And 1 leg RDLs are also a great way to get your system woken up with stability, some core work, balance, AND glutes + hamstring (you can add a reach to your hand with your leg to emphasize that. Don't just try to kick, though, control!) :) Good mornings can also help.

Okay, I'm super late for leg day. I can't rationalize skipping the gym today, so off I go!