bayba792 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My lipid panel was horrible:
    chol 175 mg/dl
    Trig 535 mg/dl
    Hdl 35 mg/dl
    Ldl 69 mg/dl
    Chol / hdl ratio 5%
    My dr said to increase my fiber because she could understand how my trig could double in less than a year. I was also told to cut back on carbs to lower it. I go back may 15 so she can recheck them.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    bayba792 wrote: »
    chol 175 mg/dl
    Trig 535 mg/dl
    Hdl 35 mg/dl
    Ldl 69 mg/dl
    Chol / hdl ratio 5%
    My dr said to increase my fiber because she could understand how my trig could double in less than a year. I was also told to cut back on carbs to lower it. I go back may 15 so she can recheck them.

Did you have an A1c test (average blood glucose)?

How long had you been fasting for this test?
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    jeffreydachmd.com/how-to-reverse-heart-disease-with-the-coronary-calcium-score/

I read this after Butter Bob got a score of 17 and was upset. I have not had the test run but per their website one group with offices in the Nashville TN area promote the Calcium Scoring test for $50. I think Butter Bob paid $99 at UT medical center in Knoxville TN.

@Aquawave knowing to have surgery before having the heart attack is a plus and now you know how to eat to prevent the new arteries from getting clogged by doing keto. Best of success in working for a fast solution. Thanks for posting and causing some to get the testing.

There was a Groupon for a facility in Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area of Atlanta for $50, but the interstate had a fire and fell down, so traffic in the area is a complete and worse than total mess. I went to Emory at John's Creek since it was an easy drive.I would like to see everyone get this test.

Butter Bob is great! I wish I had his genes and his score of 17 sure beats mine at 1,286.

I met my original weight goal of 145 this morning. Kind of tickled about it. Ketoning on and see if I can hit 140, less weight equates to less stress on the heart.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    bayba792 wrote: »
    chol 175 mg/dl
    Trig 535 mg/dl
    Hdl 35 mg/dl
    Ldl 69 mg/dl
    Chol / hdl ratio 5%

You might want to get your thyroid checked. @KnitOrMiss can give you more details, but you'll want to specifically ask for T3, T4, and rT3 at the very least.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Free and Total T4, Free and Reverse T3. If you're concerned about auto immune at all, get the TGA and TPO antibodies tests. These, with TSH for context only, can tell you a lot. But if you want to dig deep, you'll need things like D3 and B12, Iron/Ferritin and such, too.

But high trigs , low HDL those generally point to thyroid issues. @bayba792
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Just please be careful with your fats. I am 42 and had normal cholesterol 4 years ago when I started Keto. It's now sky high. I've had to cut out saturated fats (dairy/animal fats) and get my fats from avocado, fish and olive oil. MOST people do okay on Keto, but some don't. I too have diabetes in my family, and have chosen low carb to try and avoid my fate - but you have to balance other health issues as well.
  • Aquawave
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Just please be careful with your fats. I am 42 and had normal cholesterol 4 years ago when I started Keto. It's now sky high. I've had to cut out saturated fats (dairy/animal fats) and get my fats from avocado, fish and olive oil. MOST people do okay on Keto, but some don't. I too have diabetes in my family, and have chosen low carb to try and avoid my fate - but you have to balance other health issues as well.

I lost so much weight and my glucose has normalized in the ten months I have been on LCHF. But, over 62 years of MAD, the arterial damage was already done and I would not have known about this silent killer had I not learned about the Calcium Arterial Scan on this discussion board. It may have saved my life or a least given me a few more years.

Dahlia, can you get the CAS done for a baseline? Or perhaps the LDL particle count? Did switching your diet help with your lipid profile. Did your doctor put you on a statin or any other drugs? Diabetes, strokes and heart attacks have taken most of my close relatives also.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    denversdietdoctor.com/lchf-15-years-coronary-artery-calcium-score-zero/

I wanted to put this in the Butter Bob thread about calcium scoring test but did not find it.

This is positive about long term LCHF WOE. I want to get the testing for a baseline to see if in my case LCHF is helping slow or reverse the test score over time.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I have read of diets that will disolve the plaque, but I don't think they would be lchf. They would probably require much more vegetable and fruit, but not necesarily bread, probably illiminatimg saturated fats and have you mostly on nuts and olive oil for fats, protien sources could be fish and legumes. Is it a typo or am I right in understanding that you grew up on a modified atkins diet, less than 15 carbs a day, or did I misunderstand?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    denversdietdoctor.com/lchf-15-years-coronary-artery-calcium-score-zero/

I wanted to put this in the Butter Bob thread about calcium scoring test but did not find it.

This is positive about long term LCHF WOE. I want to get the testing for a baseline to see if in my case LCHF is helping slow or reverse the test score over time.

BTW, the movie referenced in this article (The Widowmaker) is on Netflix. I just added it to my list so I can watch it this weekend or sooner if I can find the time.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I have read of diets that will disolve the plaque, but I don't think they would be lchf. They would probably require much more vegetable and fruit, but not necesarily bread, probably illiminatimg saturated fats and have you mostly on nuts and olive oil for fats, protien sources could be fish and legumes. Is it a typo or am I right in understanding that you grew up on a modified atkins diet, less than 15 carbs a day, or did I misunderstand?

jeffreydachmd.com/how-to-reverse-heart-disease-with-the-coronary-calcium-score/

@Gamliela here is what one MD states on dissolving plaque. If you follow all of his hyper links you will be reading for a long time. I just got my Coronary Artery Calcium score test scheduled. It is costing $100 at Henry County Medical Center in Paris TN which is only 25 miles away. Last week I started taking 3-4 mg of extra Vitamin K2 MK-7 daily so I wanted to establish a baseline ASAP. For $175 they will look at calcium in all of the main arteries as well. For another $175 they will do a detailed scan of the lungs as well. They will mail me a CD of the scans as well to a doctor of my choice had that been my request. The equipment and lab techs are there so I think they are letting the public buy these services thinking they will find some with needs that will fill hospital beds, OR's, etc.

Some examples that this is not a new subject. I first started about this a few weeks ago.

drpasswater.com/nutrition_library/Schurgers2.html

https://newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james59.htm

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566462/
    Proper Calcium Use: Vitamin K2 as a Promoter of Bone and Cardiovascular Health
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »

I lost so much weight and my glucose has normalized in the ten months I have been on LCHF. But, over 62 years of MAD, the arterial damage was already done and I would not have known about this silent killer had I not learned about the Calcium Arterial Scan on this discussion board. It may have saved my life or a least given me a few more years.

Dahlia, can you get the CAS done for a baseline? Or perhaps the LDL particle count? Did switching your diet help with your lipid profile. Did your doctor put you on a statin or any other drugs? Diabetes, strokes and heart attacks have taken most of my close relatives also.

I have more blood tests in July. If I have not got my cholesterol down by then my Dr will make me take medication. For now I've just bargained for more time, I don't want to go down that road of taking pills for everything. I removed a garbage bag full of pills from my Dad's house last year after he passed away, and none of them did him any good (well, I'm not a Dr, I suppose they kept him alive a bit longer, but it was not a good quality of life).
  • Aquawave
    Options

I have more blood tests in July. If I have not got my cholesterol down by then my Dr will make me take medication. For now I've just bargained for more time, I don't want to go down that road of taking pills for everything. I removed a garbage bag full of pills from my Dad's house last year after he passed away, and none of them did him any good (well, I'm not a Dr, I suppose they kept him alive a bit longer, but it was not a good quality of life).

I hope you can do the calcium scan because then you will definitively know. Lipid profiles are becoming more and more questionable.My primary doctor doesn't want to put people on statins unnecessarily, which is why he and I agreed for me to do the calcium heart scan. I see him tomorrow, I expect more tests and a prescription for statins. Not Lipitor, which I had been taking which caused my joint problems and did not prevent plaque buildup. Maybe generic Crestor? I wish there was a silver bullet for this. I am going to Costco and look for the K, D and Ubiquinol vitamins today and buy more wild caught Salmon.

I have had almost a week to think about this. With an extreme chance of a cardiovascular event within the next five years, what do I have to lose at the age of 62? Joint problems versus death? I'll cross that joint pain bridge if and when I get there.
  • RalfLott
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @Aquawave, what's next? I think you mentioned a cardiac cath... ??

I'm with you. I dumped NSAIDs, PPIs, and other meds to give my body better odds..... I think. FYI, I've found Crestor very easy to tolerate compared to Lipitor.
  • Aquawave
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I'm with you. I dumped NSAIDs, PPIs, and other meds to give my body better odds..... I think. FYI, I've found Crestor very easy to tolerate compared to Lipitor.

I lived off Naproxin with the joint pains, and I dumped it too after I found out it messes with your lipids and is linked to cardiac events. I have enteric coated aspirin for any mild pain, like teeth. I was off the PPI, but all this stress is causing acid reflux, so I had to pop the PPI for the last three days, but it is not a pill that should be taken often.

I'll know about the cardiac cath later, I hope they do less invasive testing first.

If I may ask, What was your Calcium score?

I am headed out to Costco now.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I lived off Naproxin with the joint pains, and I dumped it too after I found out it messes with your lipids and is linked to cardiac events. I have enteric coated aspirin for any mild pain, like teeth. I was off the PPI, but all this stress is causing acid reflux, so I had to pop the PPI for the last three days, but it is not a pill that should be taken often.

I'll know about the cardiac cath later, I hope they do less invasive testing first.

If I may ask, What was your Calcium score?

I am headed out to Costco now.

I blew a 31 (enough to age me 5 years), but, alas, that was a machine score, and my cardiologist is having a radiologist reread the image in order to decide whether that's a fair reading and when to repeat the test.

To my naked eye, it looked like someone grease-smudged the image where my "minor" problem spot was located. :/
  • Aquawave
    Options
    Well, I saw my PCP yesterday and saw the official report. My heart age is 84 and my Calcium Score is worse than 99% of the population. The report did not specify the size of the lumen. Generic Crestor, 10 mg, and a referral to a cardiologist for a nuclear stress test and possible cardiac cath was given. He also recommended two glasses of red wine with dinner.

I have to call Anthem to see how I can afford this since we went to the high deducible heath plan. My husband is researching medical tourism. I used the GoodRx app to score a good price at Kroger on the generic crestor. ($37 for 90 days), lots cheaper than my own actual prescription insurance and the doc wrote it for 20 mg, so that I can cut the pill in half. He also told me to take CoQ10.

RalphLott, the grease smear could be that your heart was beating too fast and it blurred, but the calcium still showed up. I wish I had your score.
  • RalfLott
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Well, I saw my PCP yesterday and saw the official report. My heart age is 84 and my Calcium Score is worse than 99% of the population. The report did not specify the size of the lumen. Generic Crestor, 10 mg, and a referral to a cardiologist for a nuclear stress test and possible cardiac cath was given. He also recommended two glasses of red wine with dinner.

I have to call Anthem to see how I can afford this since we went to the high deducible heath plan. My husband is researching medical tourism. I used the GoodRx app to score a good price at Kroger on the generic crestor. ($37 for 90 days), lots cheaper than my own actual prescription insurance and the doc wrote it for 20 mg, so that I can cut the pill in half. He also told me to take CoQ10.

RalphLott, the grease smear could be that your heart was beating too fast and it blurred, but the calcium still showed up. I wish I had your score.

Gosh, good luck with Anthem!

10mg is a pretty small dose and shouldn't cause cramps. I've been fine on 40. Note that some forms of magnesium reduce absorption, so best to stagger the dose, if you take it.

I had a heart scare in my early 30s (many moons ago), after a thallium stress test returned a false positive for blockages. It scared me half to death - and into the LFHC diet that was what the doctor *should not have* ordered for my prediabetes, and onto a decades-long habit of gulping lipid medications. Different docs I've seen in the last few years have had wildly-divergent views of the same history. ("It saved you" vs. "Probably did more harm than good" :s )

My father had a heart attack in his late 30s, but it wasn't until his late 60s that significant plaque had formed. No idea just how my body is different... many riddles, alas.

So even if I got a do-over, I have no idea what I'd do differently - except for starting keto 40 years ago and otherwise not being an idiot when I was young.

• RalfLott
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you, but 99.999999999% of us are idiots when we are young. After all, we are invincible when we are young.

Well, you have a point - I did survive both youth and middie age. ;)