Newest Lab Results not quite what I expected

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=NpMoPqhZumo

After hours of watching/reading on high LDL C and P this 3 minute clip is a good summary of why I am no longer highly concerned with my 2402 LDL-P test result. I will keep reading to get a better understanding of all health risks.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=NpMoPqhZumo

After hours of watching/reading on high LDL C and P this 3 minute clip is a good summary of why I am no longer highly concerned with my 2402 LDL-P test result. I will keep reading to get a better understanding of all health risks.

Thanks, @GaleHawkins. Lots of interesting things to chew on, and just in time for a lipidologist appt this week.

It's hard to quarrel with a near-zero CAC score. Congrats again!
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Update so far. My husband's calcium score was last week was about 560. He's 65. Very sobering/depressing to both of us. My appointment at Emory Cardiology is at the end of the month. Not sure what to discuss there, maybe a redo on the calcium scan to check the size of the lumen? My relative who is a surgical nurse says to not argue with the doctor and if he says stent, do it.

Hubby will be seeing our primary care to discuss his score and possibly get a referral to a cardiologist.

We are low carbing, maintaining normal glucose, but I feel so helpless with events out of control. I guess my score of 1286 beats his score and I get to go first.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    My first reaction @Aquawave was "Oh S..."

I am so sorry. Very sobering indeed. I watched a program about stent or bypass. The bypass won. But if I were seeing a cardiologist, I would follow their advice after asking questions.

Best wishes for a good outcome for you both.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »
    Hi all. Update so far. My husband's calcium score was last week was about 560. He's 65. Very sobering/depressing to both of us. My appointment at Emory Cardiology is at the end of the month. Not sure what to discuss there, maybe a redo on the calcium scan to check the size of the lumen? My relative who is a surgical nurse says to not argue with the doctor and if he says stent, do it.

Hubby will be seeing our primary care to discuss his score and possibly get a referral to a cardiologist.

We are low carbing, maintaining normal glucose, but I feel so helpless with events out of control. I guess my score of 1286 beats his score and I get to go first.

The scores may not be cause for immediate rejoicing, but what a huge favor you've done for your collective future by alerting yourselves before any major cardiac event occurred! A good lesson for everyone in our generation.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

I just watched The Widowmaker on Netflix which hit on the issues with stints. The 2 biggest in my mind were that outcomes for those with stints were no better than those without. The other was once you have the stint, you can't have a bypass.

As was mentioned above, the bypass is nearly always successful whereas the stint isn't.

I have not yet had a chance to look up the actual studies for myself, so I can't validate these assertions yet.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

@Aquawave I read a lot on the CAC results before and after the testing. My take away was higher scores did not mean to have surgery unless the numbers are climbing more than 15% annually. I agree finding out the ID of the lumen is a good idea. Next year I plan to retest to see if my calcium plaque reversal effort is working or slowing the rate of increase to 10% or less yearly.

The CT CAC scoring was $100 and they had a promo for $75 more to do the US Vascular Screening at the same visit. It provided the Carotid Artery/Stroke Screening Results and Peripheral Arterial Disease Screening Results (ABI Index).

Perhaps a high CAC score that does not lower blood flows is not worth the risk of the surgery. Some doctors never offer by-pass surgery for different reasons. I do wish I knew about CAC scoring and had it done three years ago so I would now know the reversibility of artery calcium levels.

I am glad your husband learned his score as well.
  • Aquawave
    edited May 2017
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

I just watched The Widowmaker on Netflix which hit on the issues with stints. The 2 biggest in my mind were that outcomes for those with stints were no better than those without. The other was once you have the stint, you can't have a bypass.

As was mentioned above, the bypass is nearly always successful whereas the stint isn't.

I have not yet had a chance to look up the actual studies for myself, so I can't validate these assertions yet.

Here's the thing. My Dad had a quadruple bypass in his mid 70's. He went from a strong and vibrant person to a fail old man. Within months of his heart surgery he underwent the carotid roto router procedure and suffered a mild stroke. After that his life was progressively worse, with numerous small strokes taking his mind away, he passed in 2001 at 83 years. My grandmother, his mother had "Hardening of the Arteries" and her mind also went after suffering heart attacks and strokes, passing in 1971 at the age of 66.

Bypass surgery/stenting only helps in the short term. Hardening of the arteries is in your entire body. I spoke to Dad's surgeon after the bypass years ago, he admitted that this was a temporary improvement and strongly recommended that I go on Statins and go on the complex carbohydrate/Low fat diet. I was one of the first to do so and surpise, suprise surprise! Statins did not prevent this disease at all and the diet contributed to my now verified, calcium condition. I am betting that more and more baby boomers who have been on Statins are developing plaque anyway and don't even know it since the Calcium Scan is not part of "Wellness" and lipid profiles come back as deceptively normal. Carrie Fisher could still be alive, if she had the scan.

I too, watched the "Widowmaker", I am not sure that cracking your chest open is preferable to stenting. I met a 93 year old women, thin as a rail, in the Radiology waiting room who had 5 stents. One was a stent within a stent. She had her full faculties. My morbidly obese, diabetic Brother in Law has 2 stents, he's about 63. He says his cardiologist has told him that he probably's getting 2 more in October. He had a heart attack while he was being cathed. Cathing and stenting were done at the same time. BIL also has diabetic neuropathy. He's the first to admit, it was his diet, still drinks sweetened iced tea though.

Edited to add:

So, if stenting vs bypass have somewhat similar outcomes (with less years with stenting), and there is just a progression of arterial disease leading to stokes, without solving the underlying cause; What is the difference of one or two years of life when the quality of life is going to be slowly eroded anyway? I think I would rather not have my chest cracked open and take the stenting even if it means I loose a few years of sub-optimal life.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Oh man. I have no advice. I just wanted to say that I hope you guys find a plan that you are satisfied with. One that works well for you both.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Pj_EjhNvdS4&t=561s

This doctor is very fast talking but he does talk about CAC testing and what to do about it. There are other related videos by others.

There seems to be reversing methods but I do not know their effectiveness. Below is a two part K2 seminary.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DTspHSbuxQU&t=1641s
  • Aquawave
    Options
    So I saw the cardiologist this morning. I received no answers to any of my questions and felt I was fighting an uphill battle with him. He wants to do a treadmill stress test next week. Fine, I'll do it. He wanted to put me on Zetia to lower my cholesterol by preventing absorption from the gut, I refused. He seemed somewhat angry with me. He kept repeating that I needed to lower my cholesterol and when I asked how does any medication affect the type of LDL or LDL-P, he poo pooed it and repeated, we need to lower your cholesterol. Jeesh. He told me to up my Crestor from 10 to 20, Fine I'll do it. I asked about checking the size of the lumen with another Calcium scan, he said that it can't be done. Strange, I read somewhere that it can be done. They did an EKG and it was normal.

I told him I did not have much faith in the medical profession since I have been on statins and low fat diet for 27 years.

This was the most unsatisfying visit I have ever had with any doctor.

I drove home thinking what is the point of all this? I am so frustrated.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Good god. :s
  • Aquawave
    Options

This doctor is very fast talking but he does talk about CAC testing and what to do about it. There are other related videos by others.

There seems to be reversing methods but I do not know their effectiveness. Below is a two part K2 seminary.

Thanks for the video links. I have finally had time to watch them, very interesting. I started K-2 a few weeks ago and as a result of the video have now upped my dosage to 100, twice a day. Have ordered another bottle on Amazon, Lightening deal today. It may or may not regress the calcification, but at least there is the promise of slowing the progression. And I, like many menopausal women used to take calcium pills. I stopped those about 3 years ago after hearing the news about them causing heart blockages. Now I know why.

The video talked about statins causing calcification and how that may be a protective mechanism. Interesting.
  • RalfLott
    Options

Thanks for the video links. I have finally had time to watch them, very interesting. I started K-2 a few weeks ago and as a result of the video have now upped my dosage to 100, twice a day. Have ordered another bottle on Amazon, Lightening deal today. It may or may not regress the calcification, but at least there is the promise of slowing the progression. And I, like many menopausal women used to take calcium pills. I stopped those about 3 years ago after hearing the news about them causing heart blockages. Now I know why.

The video talked about statins causing calcification and how that may be a protective mechanism. Interesting.

It sounds like Crestor and Lipitor have an anti-inflammatory mechanism that stabilizes arterial plaque. I don't have a clue if Zetia is supposed to have any role to play in this process though.

I've been on large doses of Vit D, K-2, E and calcium since my positive CAC and finding of osteopenia in a DEXA scan last year - hoping for some encouraging signs when they're repeated...
  • GaleHawkins
    edited June 2017
    Options

@Aquawave I think we got on K vitamins in late 2015 when we learned Vitamin D can lead to calcium deposits in the arteries which we now know that could lead to high CAC scores if Vitamin K1 and K2 is low to nonexistent.

We started with and still use LifeExtension Super K with 1500 mcg of K1, 1000 mcg of K2 MK4 and 200 mcg of K2 MK7. About a month before my CAC scoring based off info posted about reducing CAC scores I when very high with added K2 MK7. Currently I am adding about 3000 mcg of K2-MK-7 daily to see if I can free up my frozen spine and other joints. Even at low dosage I think it is helping. Now I can open my mouth wide enough to get my teeth cleaned and checked. Have not needed any new dental work since starting K2 but that may not have been a factor.

I do not advice others on what and how much supplements to take because any and all supplements care some level of risk based on my reading of a ton of research. In my case I see the informed risks less than the risk of my first 63 years of life way of eating.

Warning: K2 can lower blood pressure in some people I am 100% certain. It does not in my case but I have been kind of heavy on K2 starting in 2015.

My preferred K2 MK7 is Healthy Origins K2 MK7 100 mcg with 180 Veggie Softgels filled with EV olive oil. I got in 5 more bottles yesterday because it is getting harder to find it seems.

When I go for a new CAC scoring test in 11 months I will see if high K2 MK7 has had a positive impact on my new CAC score at that time or not.

Sorry the doctor said do more of the same but expect different results.

Thankfully I got Rx Med free in 2004 and still take no Rx meds and have great health markers since with the NMR Lipid Panel ruled out my 300 total cholesterol as being a health risk in my case and that the included IR test score indicated my IR health risk is highly resolved.

• Aquawave
    Options
    I tell you, meeting a doctor with a god complex for the first time was a real shocker. The stress test makes sense, take a pill to excrete all the fat you ate because you have bound up the bile chemically? Unbelievable in this day and age! Why not just eat Olestra or ex-Lax? Same results - adult Pampers.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Keep reading on the subject and keep in mind 90% of what you may read may need to be discarded. Patterns finally started to appear in the reading. Most every article/research has value in the mix but it can be very hard to pick out.

I am nearly three years into this WOE and learn more every week now than I learned in the first year. :)

The first thing I now look for is "Will doing this Kill me".
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Oh geez. :(
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I tell you, meeting a doctor with a god complex for the first time was a real shocker. The stress test makes sense, take a pill to excrete all the fat you ate because you have bound up the bile chemically? Unbelievable in this day and age! Why not just eat Olestra or ex-Lax? Same results - adult Pampers.

Zetia = Olestra? :s