Newest Lab Results not quite what I expected

Options

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a middie age.... Is it carb-free....?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I haven't had a middie age.... Is it carb-free....?

Uh, usually no. Where do you think your "middle" comes from?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Oh Lordie, you're right.... spaghetti alla carbonara, pizza and lasagne. Garfield swears by it.....Middle-aged spread....!!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I heard recently that middle age was from something like 38 to 56. I look around and don't see too many people who are 112, so I wonder about that range. I am currently right about in the middle of that and think there is a good chance I have passed the halfway mark.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I heard recently that middle age was from something like 38 to 56. I look around and don't see too many people who are 112, so I wonder about that range. I am currently right about in the middle of that and think there is a good chance I have passed the halfway mark.

That was the reason I moved my goal to live to be 110 when at 50 I said something about being middle age. They asked if I planned to live to be 100 and I shot back NO I plan to live to be 110. There are a few websites with live to be 110 in their web name.

Now that I have studied how to help prevent premature death from type 2 diabetes, cancer, heart attack, autoimmune issues, Alzheimers, stroke, etc I know living longer is possible. Not making changes until I was 63 means I have more issues to fix and then reverse the damage if possible.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @GaleHawkins - Congratulations!

I guess you can go back to your old ways now; maybe adding some serious vice other than overworking?
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I guess you can go back to your old ways now; maybe adding some serious vice other than overworking?

Thanks. These three test results makes my intent to live to 110 walking and talking the entire way more possible than I expected. Now I just have to slow down when driving so I do not hit 110 MPH racing a train to the crossing. :)

Actually even a Zero Calcium Score does not meant one will not die from heart disease because there is still a 5% chance.
  • RalfLott
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks. These three test results makes my intent to live to 110 walking and talking the entire way more possible than I expected. Now I just have to slow down when driving so I do not hit 110 MPH racing a train to the crossing. :)

Actually even a Zero Calcium Score does not meant one will not die from heart disease because there is still a 5% chance.

Ha! Ideally, only your train of thought would be racing at that speed in your immediate proximity.

Well, a lot of our choices ARE about playing the odds (as best we can discern them with our limited knowledge and crude n=1 experimental methods).

I suspect everything we think we know is like watching Plato's shadows on the wall; most of it bears some resemblance to reality but isn't the genuine article.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am still awaiting my Male Panel blood work results that I order through Life Extension and collected by LabCorp of Jackson TN but did get my results from Henry County Medical Center Paris TN today.

CT Lung Cancer Screening results Within Normal Limits $175 special
    US Vascular Screening $75 Add On to $100 CT calcium scoring screening
    Carotid artery/stroke screening results build up Within Normal range as well as Blood flow velocities.
    CT Calcium Scoring/Screening Total Calcium Score: 9.3 with heart rate of 52.

The 9.3 total calcium score was a surprise but I am very thankful. I wish I had a scan ran mid 2014 before I started changing my WOE.

I have been more or less mild Keto for 31 months. Been on heavy levels of fish oil for 20 years and Co Q-10 off and on for the past 15 years. NSAIDS for 40 years but not regularly since 2004. Got CPAP machine 2004 and used nightly ever since. Never drank, smoked, did drugs or ran around on my wife. High weight of 250 a few times and have been in 200-210 range for last two years. Vitamin D levels of about 100 for past two years and added Vit K2 MK7 about 18 months ago. When in 2013 first Vit D level was 22. Due to 40 years of high pain levels movement has been limited but still I accidently move more than some do by intent. The kids are turning 20 this fall so I have pushed against great pain doing theme parks, etc plus a 31 day 8000 mile motorhome trip with just the two of them in 2011 when we hit about 16 states and the Pacific coast line. I use the backhoe some and mainly bush hog with the tractor. Between home, the company, church and other boards, college/graduate school, etc I have managed to keep my stress very high over the past 40 years.

I will need to get this worked into a blog post at www.ketolivewell.com (where you can see my supplements)one of these days along with the incoming Male Panel results. Hey I even beat Butter Bob's score of 17. I would have been happy if I had come in under 100 based on my past health history.

Awesome News about your Calcium Scan! I am telling everyone I know to get one.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I am telling others about the CAC scoring test as well that it only $100 in many areas.

LifeExtension returned my male panel results this morning. Total Cholesterol still about 300 with the LDL still about 200 but with the CAC scan and vascular work up showing good blood flows with min calcium build up the cholesterol must not be a artery health issue. CRP results were up some so I will have to troubleshoot to see if I can find the cause(s).

Fasting blood glucose came in at an 88 for the first time that I can remember which is 15-20 points lower than for the past few years. A1c was 5.2 in Dec 2016 and 5.1 last week so some of my new supplements to lower glucose are working or finally Insulin Resistance is becoming less resistant.
  • RalfLott
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I am telling others about the CAC scoring test as well that it only $100 in many areas.

LifeExtension returned my male panel results this morning. Total Cholesterol still about 300 with the LDL still about 200 but with the CAC scan and vascular work up showing good blood flows with min calcium build up the cholesterol must not be a artery health issue. CRP results were up some so I will have to troubleshoot to see if I can find the cause(s).

Fasting blood glucose came in at an 88 for the first time that I can remember which is 15-20 points lower than for the past few years. A1c was 5.2 in Dec 2016 and 5.1 last week so some of my new supplements to lower glucose are working or finally Insulin Resistance is becoming less resistant.

Wow. Sounds pretty darn good!

It might be interesting to get an NMR lipoprotein electrophoresis to measure your lipid sub-particle composition. Hardly seems necessary, though...
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

It might be interesting to get an NMR lipoprotein electrophoresis to measure your lipid sub-particle composition. Hardly seems necessary, though...

Thanks.

I looked that up on LE site last night. I am going with the full suite for a more complete baseline for the years to come. Their battery of cancer markers test look interesting as well.
  • RalfLott
    Options

Thanks.

I looked that up on LE site last night. I am going with the full suite for a more complete baseline for the years to come. Their battery of cancer markers test look interesting as well.

I'll have to take a tour as well. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    lifeextension.com/Vitamins-Supplements/itemLC123810/NMR-LipoProfile-Blood-Test

@RalfLott I got the NMR lab test ordered. It should be worth the $74.25 to finally know the make up of my high cholesterol

Thanks.

I'll have to take a tour as well. Thanks for the heads-up.
    lifeextension.com/Vitamins-Supplements/itemLC123810/NMR-LipoProfile-Blood-Test

@RalfLott I spent the $74.25 so I can now know what is the makeup of my cholestrol finally.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited May 2017
    Options

@RalfLott per your request. :)

NMR LipoProf+Graph
    LDL-P 2402 High nmol/
    Low < 1000 Moderate 1000 - 1299 Borderline-High 1300 - 1599 High 1600 - 2000
    Very High > 2000

LDL-C 221 High mg/dL

HDL-C 69 mg/dL >39 BN
    Triglycerides 75 mg/dL 0-149 BN
    Cholesterol, Total 305 High mg/dL
    HDL-P (Total) 30.7 umol/L >=30.5 BN
    Small LDL-P 525 nmol/L <=527 BN
    LDL Size 21.8 nm >20.5 BN

LP-IR Score <25 <=45 BN
    INSULIN RESISTANCE MARKER
    <--Insulin Sensitive Insulin Resistant-->
    Percentile in Reference Population Insulin Resistance Score
    LP-IR Score Low 25th 50th 75th High
    <27 27 45 63 >63
    LP-IR Score is inaccurate if patient is non-fasting.

As you can see the LDL-P and LDL-C are over the top but the other NMR numbers are within normal limits at least.

With the CAC score of 9.3 and normal blood flow rates and relative clean arteries I do not think the high cholesterol is the end of the road for me just yet. The last A1c came in at 5.1 and my blood pressure is good.

I just watched the below and found it good.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7gZt9DQqtZI
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

@RalfLott per your request. :)

NMR LipoProf+Graph
    LDL-P 2402 High nmol/
    Low < 1000 Moderate 1000 - 1299 Borderline-High 1300 - 1599 High 1600 - 2000
    Very High > 2000

LDL-C 221 High mg/dL

HDL-C 69 mg/dL >39 BN
    Triglycerides 75 mg/dL 0-149 BN
    Cholesterol, Total 305 High mg/dL
    HDL-P (Total) 30.7 umol/L >=30.5 BN
    Small LDL-P 525 nmol/L <=527 BN
    LDL Size 21.8 nm >20.5 BN

LP-IR Score <25 <=45 BN
    INSULIN RESISTANCE MARKER
    <--Insulin Sensitive Insulin Resistant-->
    Percentile in Reference Population Insulin Resistance Score
    LP-IR Score Low 25th 50th 75th High
    <27 27 45 63 >63
    LP-IR Score is inaccurate if patient is non-fasting.

As you can see the LDL-P and LDL-C are over the top but the other NMR numbers are within normal limits at least.

With the CAC score of 9.3 and normal blood flow rates and relative clean arteries I do not think the high cholesterol is the end of the road for me just yet. The last A1c came in at 5.1 and my blood pressure is good.

I just watched the below and found it good.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7gZt9DQqtZI

Did you happen to get hsCRP, Fibrogen or any other inflammation markers tested?

With that calcium score and HDL/trig ratio, you are probably right about not worrying about the LDL, but knowing inflammation is level could give you a 3 out of 4 with only the least reliable of the 4 not being in range.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited May 2017
    Options
    CRP in Dec 2016 was 3.7 and May 2017 was 5.5 perhaps. I did a deep burn on my back in April. While it healed well there is still a very small scab in the center. I had been off all supplements for about 18 hours and did all of the CAC, blood flow studies and CT of lungs before going to give blood for the full male panel. There was some pain associated with the positions required to do the above mentioned testing.

Losing the last 25 pounds of weight may help CRP level so I need to make that happen. Below is where I ordered my Male Panel blood work.

lifeextension.com/magazine/2014/5/testing-for-c-reactive-protein-may-save-your-life/page-01

The blip below its source talks about perhaps LDL levels really may not be a valid risk factor for all people. In my case LDL is the only factor stating I may drop dead any day.

docsopinion.com/2015/08/04/the-road-to-diabetes-and-heart-disease-the-ticking-clock-hypothesis/

"The triglyceride/HDL cholesterol ratio is associated with increased risk. One study found that a ratio above 4 was a powerful independent predictor of developing coronary artery disease (13).

Although LDL cholesterol is often used to assess the risk of future cardiovascular events, many patients with the metabolic syndrome have normal or close to normal values. Thus, relying on LDL cholesterol in this population may be misleading.

Although predicting the risk of cardiovascular events by a clinical risk score using conventional risk factors is common practice, it may be dreadfully misleading in the clinical setting.

Recent studies have shown that coronary calcium score (assessed by CT scan) may be very helpful to predict risk (14). A coronary calcium score of zero confers a 15-year warranty period against mortality in individuals at low to intermediate risk that is unaffected by age or sex."
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I just saw an interesting post on Ketogains that many might find interesting.

9d5b5rms0mbk.png

Here are his numbers.

pu3aog0xg2g2.jpg

And a response from Dave Feldman

fsde7k6vldio.png