Newest Lab Results not quite what I expected

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Here are three somewhat representative links that indicates CAC build up is complex in that it may have several causes where the cause/effect relationship often is not clear.

nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Vitamin-K-may-affect-arterial-calcification-for-hypertensives-Multi-ethnic-study

BLOOD PRESSURE AND VASCULAR CALCIFICATION
    https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2842577/

The Story-at-a-glance box will tell one the key
    articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/15/statin-drugs-on-coronary-disease.aspx
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Here are three somewhat representative links that indicates CAC build up is complex in that it may have several causes where the cause/effect relationship often is not clear.

nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Vitamin-K-may-affect-arterial-calcification-for-hypertensives-Multi-ethnic-study

BLOOD PRESSURE AND VASCULAR CALCIFICATION
    https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2842577/

The Story-at-a-glance box will tell one the key
    articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/15/statin-drugs-on-coronary-disease.aspx

Interesting videos, thank you for your help. It seems like there is a total disconnect in the medical world.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    It is as if things are being sold as medicine to solve fake problems but the medicine is creating real problems requiring more medicine.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=P-N5UakzxyM

This is a fast paced 4 minute video. The list of supplements matched some that I have been taking for a while that claim to reverse calcium build up in the arteries.

The side bar will list other K2 videos.
  • Aquawave
    Options
    We received the Calcium and lipid profile results for my husband in the mail. Without statins, his lipid profile if perfectly normal. His calcium score is 569, excessive plaque burden. His diabetes is worse than mine, but has gotten a whole lot better since we started LCHF last year. His high blood pressure has been under control with meds for at least 25 years. Age 65.

Go figure, both of us on the same diet, his lipid profile is great (and yet a high calcium score?!), while my lipids are abysmal. Different genes. He has always had great lipid profiles without statins, but about 6 or 7 years ago his endocrinologist put him on statins because he was a diabetic. He went off them when we started this diet.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »
    We received the Calcium and lipid profile results for my husband in the mail. Without statins, his lipid profile if perfectly normal. His calcium score is 569, excessive plaque burden. His diabetes is worse than mine, but has gotten a whole lot better since we started LCHF last year. His high blood pressure has been under control with meds for at least 25 years. Age 65.

Go figure, both of us on the same diet, his lipid profile is great (and yet a high calcium score?!), while my lipids are abysmal. Different genes. He has always had great lipid profiles without statins, but about 6 or 7 years ago his endocrinologist put him on statins because he was a diabetic. He went off them when we started this diet.

Whew.

The CAC scan is a cheap test, but we don't get one every decade, even if we're diabetic or otherwise at risk.

On the other hand, we gleefully spend countless $$ on lipid panels (every 3 months, in my case) and drugs to beautify their contours. :/
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I've been low carb for many years and recently lost another 20 pounds using low carb and intermittent fasting. I'm up about 2 pounds from two vacations in May and am going back to 16:8 IF today. My physical is set up in July and my doctor will give me his usual parrot speech about statins. He was thrilled with my weight loss at a followup visit, but didn't even ask me how I did it. My A1c went from 7 to 6.1 without diabetic meds (I've been type 2 for about 10 years).

I've been reading the newest book by Dr. William Davis, the cardiologist who wrote the "Wheat Belly" series. The book is called "Undoctored" and goes into modern medicine and how it has basically failed us. He mentions that most likely, your doctor is still pushing the same thing to this patients that he learned in medical school, which in the case of my doctor is some 30 years ago! My doctor is salaried and I'm familiar with the medical company he works for - it's all about pushing billable procedures and drugs. He is also pushed to see his "quota" of patients daily. His "statin speech" has been perfected over the years, and he spouts it out like a parrot in his monotone voice. The only reason I'm still with him is he doesn't bug me too much otherwise!
  • RalfLott
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Great thread! I've been low carb for many years and recently lost another 20 pounds using low carb and intermittent fasting. I'm up about 2 pounds from two vacations in May and am going back to 16:8 IF today. My physical is set up in July and my doctor will give me his usual parrot speech about statins. He was thrilled with my weight loss at a followup visit, but didn't even ask me how I did it. My A1c went from 7 to 6.1 without diabetic meds (I've been type 2 for about 10 years).

I've been reading the newest book by Dr. William Davis, the cardiologist who wrote the "Wheat Belly" series. The book is called "Undoctored" and goes into modern medicine and how it has basically failed us. He mentions that most likely, your doctor is still pushing the same thing to this patients that he learned in medical school, which in the case of my doctor is some 30 years ago! My doctor is salaried and I'm familiar with the medical company he works for - it's all about pushing billable procedures and drugs. He is also pushed to see his "quota" of patients daily. His "statin speech" has been perfected over the years, and he spouts it out like a parrot in his monotone voice. The only reason I'm still with him is he doesn't bug me too much otherwise!

There's a recent Undoctored thread you might enjoy. (just bumped)

Please forgive the unsolicited advice.....

I am not knocking your excellent progress, but if it were me (T2D), I would not rest comfortably with an A1c = 6.

http://www.rajeun.net/HbA1c_glucose.html

Everyone's their own science project, of course. Personally, I can stay around 5.0 with drastically-reduced carbs and 2500mg of brand Glucophage (NOT generic Metformin). If I'm getting BG readings that would translate to an A1c above 5.4, I start looking for a fix.

(NB. I've already got mild heart disease - revealed on a CAC scan, which only one cardiologist in 25 years steered me toward).

• Aquawave
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Whew.

The CAC scan is a cheap test, but we don't get one every decade, even if we're diabetic or otherwise at risk.

On the other hand, we gleefully spend countless $$ on lipid panels (every 3 months, in my case) and drugs to beautify their contours. :/

My high deductible Anthem Health Insurance just went through for this. I have to pay that SOB $242, out of my pocket. He labeled it a Consultation. Additional to be separately determined is the EKG I had during the visit. There is a $66 for something they didn't include on the original EOB, maybe it is the EKG. My test in two days, the exercise stress test should cost me an additional $225, (from the Anthem Website), not sure if there will be a physician's charge for that or not.

I freaken hate this. My BIL, the surgical nurse, said they will give me bunches of costly tests before they cath me or give me the nuclear stress test to see if I have restricted blood flow. So I am seeing dollar bills with wings on them flying out the window and stressing out over everything. The theoretical purpose of health insurance to be able to not worry about medical bills and concentrate on getting well.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I'd remind them that you have a high deductible. It might faze them, or not. I always bring it up. I have an astronomical deductible as well. Sometimes they listen and work with you; sometimes they don't. It's worth a shot.
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Interesting chart! I haven't seen that before. I'm not resting with 6. I was just thrilled to drop it from 7! My goal is definitely in the lower 5's. I'm hoping to have more progress by the time of my physical in a few months. The combination of LCHF and increased exercise definitely helped with my weight loss and moved my A1c in the right direction!

Your advice is appreciated :) Also, thanks again for bumping the Undoctored thread!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Interesting chart! I haven't seen that before. I'm not resting with 6. I was just thrilled to drop it from 7! My goal is definitely in the lower 5's. I'm hoping to have more progress by the time of my physical in a few months. The combination of LCHF and increased exercise definitely helped with my weight loss and moved my A1c in the right direction!

Your advice is appreciated :) Also, thanks again for bumping the Undoctored thread!

You're on the right track - insulin resistance takes months to subside, so if you're still seeing drops in your BG (like decreasing weekly fasting and post-prandial averages), roll with it!

BTW, your lipid profile may appear to degenerate during your weight loss phase. Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek explain that your lipids don't stabilize until you've hit goal weight and have been in maintenance for while. You can find their great intro vids on Youtube - check out the JumpstartMD channel for interview segments separated by topic.
  • Aquawave
    Options
    This is a link to an article written by a reporter who had no adverse signs of health problems and had a Calcium Heart Scan done which ultimately ended up with him having bypass surgery. The only risk factor was his parents health history. It saved his life.

http://www.djournal.com/pontotoc/heart-surgery-patient-applauds-preventive-heart-tests/article_8ac535a5-55f1-5162-afaf-ce2ef34c7fe5.html

• RalfLott
    Options
    This is a link to an article written by a reporter who had no adverse signs of health problems and had a Calcium Heart Scan done which ultimately ended up with him having bypass surgery. The only risk factor was his parents health history. It saved his life.

http://www.djournal.com/pontotoc/heart-surgery-patient-applauds-preventive-heart-tests/article_8ac535a5-55f1-5162-afaf-ce2ef34c7fe5.html

I recently asked my wonderful diabetes doc about his experience with screening for heart disease.

He related a patient story of a woman in her late 30s - former collegiate athlete, 3 kids, full-time job - who simply felt chronically tired, which had never been a problem before. He ran bloodwork, including a simple lipid panel, a stress test, and an echocardiogram - all were ok. He said he was convinced by her constant reports of unabating fatigue that she had some circulatory problem, and he eventually browbeat a cardiologist into doing a heart cath (CACs weren't available locally at the time).

As it turned out, she had 80% blockage spread throughout her arteries, which for that reason produced a false negative on the imaging study. She went straight to surgery for a multiple bypass - and has lived to tell about it (and even made some PSAs for local media). Years later, when NMR Advanced Lipoprotein analysis became available, he found that her particle counts were in the highest risk category almost across the board.....

Moral? Everyone with any appreciable CVD risk factors should get a CAC screening and NMR study in their 40s.

(As a high-risk patient, I was sent off for a $25 ultrasound screening for vascular disease - lower aorta, carotid, and lower leg arteries.)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I am glad I got both the CAC and NMR reports and thankfully risks were found to be lower than expected. I still think over the last 3 years my actions had lowered my arterial calcium build up. Next May I plan to rerun the CAC scoring test to see if it has changed in any direction.

@Aquawave have you and your husband looked at setting a goal to lower the CAC scores by say 20% over the next 12 months?

First of all you want to learn how to slow, stop or reverse the calcium build up if possible because most likely it is happening in the eyes, legs and all organ blood flow.

I am convinced the subconscious mind will work on any risk of premature death if it is tasked with figuring out how to resolve the risk. There is good indication that most physical health issues are triggered by mental events at some point in the distant past. You will start seeing more info on the subject when you start researching how to resolve calcium build up in the blood flow network making your research more productive month by month.

Best of success in finding the right medical advice but be prepared to make the final decision on your own.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Today, I passed the exercise stress test with flying colors, absolutely no problems, so because of that the cardiologist will not order a nuclear stress test to see if my coronary arteries have good flow. This is probably insurance related since insurance has to approve it. A high calcium score is not justification. He wants me to up my Crestor to 30 mg, eventually to 40. He said it will not reduce the plaque but keep it from progressing.

I have no faith in his decisions or the Crestor. 27 years of statins failed to prevent this disease. I think taking more and more statins, will do me more harm than good. I have to see my PCP next month for more lipid profile tests and will ask again for the advanced lipid profile testing. I need to see the results before I decide to up my Crestor dosage so quickly.

The nurse told me that calcium can be in the muscles of the heart and skew the results of the calcium scan. They were both impressed that I did so well on the treadmill.

LCHF diet is doing well, I lost another pound and sugars are great. Now at 143 lbs. I think I will run my treadmill every morning instead of once a week.

Good to hear! <3
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    That is good news. Somewhere I read it can be the statins that results in high CAC scores plus there is no medical research that shows lower chance of heart disease in females by taking statins. If I run across it again I will post the line to the article or video.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I recently asked my wonderful diabetes doc about his experience with screening for heart disease.

He related a patient story of a woman in her late 30s - former collegiate athlete, 3 kids, full-time job - who simply felt chronically tired, which had never been a problem before. He ran bloodwork, including a simple lipid panel, a stress test, and an echocardiogram - all were ok. He said he was convinced by her constant reports of unabating fatigue that she had some circulatory problem, and he eventually browbeat a cardiologist into doing a heart cath (CACs weren't available locally at the time).

As it turned out, she had 80% blockage spread throughout her arteries, which for that reason produced a false negative on the imaging study. She went straight to surgery for a multiple bypass - and has lived to tell about it (and even made some PSAs for local media). Years later, when NMR Advanced Lipoprotein analysis became available, he found that her particle counts were in the highest risk category almost across the board.....

Moral? Everyone with any appreciable CVD risk factors should get a CAC screening and NMR study in their 40s.

(As a high-risk patient, I was sent off for a $25 ultrasound screening for vascular disease - lower aorta, carotid, and lower leg arteries.)

That's essentially what happened with my husband's grandmother. She wasn't an athlete, but was rather active, until the fatigue got to get. Turned out she had 70%+ blockage just about everywhere. (Probably thanks to poorly controlled diabetes.)
  • RalfLott
    Options

This one has got to be the most astonishing story yet.... Distance runner, 139 lbs, total cholesterol = 160, no symptoms.

But for the CAC, he'd be walking around with areas of 90% blockage. Yet the test, though cheap(!), is not covered by insurance and is rarely recommended by cardiologists. :anguished: