Sandy's OMAD Journal

Options

Replies

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    I was referred to a dietitian after I got my news and she stressed the importance of getting enough fiber.

I've been reading up on that, so I'm glad you confirmed by telling me what your dietician said. :-) My fiber runs around 20-25g daily. I eat all these heart healthy foods, but the saturated ones are negating the positive effects. Either that, or, maybe it's down since I've lost weight and I don't know because it was over 2 years ago since I last had it checked--when I was eating healthier. But, when I was eating healthier before, I did not eat so much high fat meat. So, in my book, that needs to go. I had red meat today, but 93/7, so I think that's okay.

@mikseyniha, thank you and I am not as afraid as I was earlier, though some fear is still lingering. I appreciate your encouragement. I shall keep doing what I am doing, for sure :-)

Remember Sandy, not ALL of high cholesterol comes from saturated fat/what you're eating - some of it is genetics as well. I'm sure your numbers will steadily improve as you make progress and hopefully you can avoid the meds! I hate taking 'em too so I feel your pain.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    @mistymeadows2005, you're right of course. I know one thing that is in my control that I need to axe and would help, OMG, it will be so hard. Drop the smoking habit. :-( I quit once for seven years and restarted about 10 years ago... like an idiot. Gah!
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Nice loss, Sandy!
    Have you tried doing Meatless Monday? I'm not a "preachy" vegan, I promise! But I know some people who have adopted a few vegetarian/vegan days a week, and it has helped.
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    My meal today and in the second pic in the "other" category, is what I will graze on, IF I get hungry, to get in 1600+ calories which is about 500 below my TDEE. Sweet potato with maple syrup and cinnamon, 8 oz of 93/7 ground beef burgers with onions and A1 sauce, grilled asparagus, and a chocolate and peanut butter pudding made with banana, avocado, chia seeds, carob powder, walnuts, and dried cranberries.

9t0qtdn7xm8l.jpg
    rwu8dd9muoq7.png
  • mistymeadows2005
    Options
    @mistymeadows2005, you're right of course. I know one thing that is in my control that I need to axe and would help, OMG, it will be so hard. Drop the smoking habit. :-( I quit once for seven years and restarted about 10 years ago... like an idiot. Gah!

BABE - I feel you :| My doctor is thrilled with my weight loss but bugs me about the smoking EVERY time LOL - granted I smoke pipe tobacco cigars so it's a little different but still...THE STRUGGLE IS SO REAL :(
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    Nice loss, Sandy!
    Have you tried doing Meatless Monday? I'm not a "preachy" vegan, I promise! But I know some people who have adopted a few vegetarian/vegan days a week, and it has helped.

That's actually a great idea as I would like to incorporate more vegetarian foods. I actually have some days throughout this journey where I have had vegetarian meals and have shown photos of them, but to make it a point to have them isn't something I done, so thank you, Britt! :-)
  • wsandy8512
    Options

BABE - I feel you :| My doctor is thrilled with my weight loss but bugs me about the smoking EVERY time LOL - granted I smoke pipe tobacco cigars so it's a little different but still...THE STRUGGLE IS SO REAL :(

LOL, yeah, same with mine. Thrilled with weight loss, not happy I smoke at all. Ugh. The struggle is real, indeed!
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,873 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    That's actually a great idea as I would like to incorporate more vegetarian foods. I actually have some days throughout this journey where I have had vegetarian meals and have shown photos of them, but to make it a point to have them isn't something I done, so thank you, Britt! :-)

Of course! I think I saw that you made something from the Minimalist Baker blog (I hope I'm remembering correctly!), and I think it is one of the best resources for people transitioning into eating more plant-based meals. Her recipes are usually the definition of comfort food made vegan/vegetarian. Plus, if you use social media, you can search the Meatless Monday hashtag for more ideas! As long as you're not piling on the palm and coconut oils, designating a day or two to plant-based eating should hopefully really help you reduce that saturated fat intake.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Sandy YAY for swimming in your clothes, it's such a wonderful feeling :) You're doing sooo good!!! If your numbers aren't that bad I would try cutting back on saturated fats and if that doesn't help then it's probably hereditary :/
  • barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Sandy have you read Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr ? I used to smoke 2 packs of black tobacco a day like french gitanes style... I thought I´d smoke all my life but then my partner gave me this book to read and i laughed and laughed seeing myself reflected in the book. The book deprograms you without realising it and by the end of the book the author tells you "Now you can smoke your last cigarette" and you will be ready for it... believe me. Half way reading the book I was already wanting to quit but the author tells you to keep smoking till the end of the book. Its the best 6 euros I have ever spent... it has saved my life literaly!...
    Give it a try its only a book...
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    barbheart wrote: »
    Sandy have you read Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr ? I used to smoke 2 packs of black tobacco a day like french gitanes style... I thought I´d smoke all my life but then my partner gave me this book to read and i laughed and laughed seeing myself reflected in the book. The book deprograms you without realising it and by the end of the book the author tells you "Now you can smoke your last cigarette" and you will be ready for it... believe me. Half way reading the book I was already wanting to quit but the author tells you to keep smoking till the end of the book. Its the best 6 euros I have ever spent... it has saved my life literaly!...
    Give it a try its only a book...

Going to order now, thanks Barb!!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options

LOL, yeah, same with mine. Thrilled with weight loss, not happy I smoke at all. Ugh. The struggle is real, indeed!

Before you light up, take a 5-min walk every time 1st. I think it will help you to quit.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Take a look at https://nutritionfacts.org. He has some interesting stuff. Do a search for cholesterol - he cites some studies that talk about certain foods that lower cholesterol as much (and in some cases more) than the side effect ridden statins. I think fiber and beans and seeds etc (which I see you're already onto) are a few he talks about. I tend to trust the guy who runs the site a bit more than some other sites as he is non profit. He has a staff of people who review all the many many studies out there. He's the reason i'd really really like to become vegan (but cheese!).
  • barbheart
    Options
    Also some people are naturally high in cholesterol and doesn´t mean they are unhealthy...I know of people who have super restricted diets and are still high in cholest
  • mistymeadows2005
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »
    Take a look at https://nutritionfacts.org. He has some interesting stuff. Do a search for cholesterol - he cites some studies that talk about certain foods that lower cholesterol as much (and in some cases more) than the side effect ridden statins. I think fiber and beans and seeds etc (which I see you're already onto) are a few he talks about. I tend to trust the guy who runs the site a bit more than some other sites as he is non profit. He has a staff of people who review all the many many studies out there. He's the reason i'd really really like to become vegan (but cheese!).

Oh cheese.... I think cheese might be my spirit animal lmao
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »

That's a good site, basically same recommendations as Perkins site which is great! Yeah, cheese is freaking evil! I love it. Lol

• wsandy8512
    Options
    barbheart wrote: »
    Also some people are naturally high in cholesterol and doesn´t mean they are unhealthy...I know of people who have super restricted diets and are still high in cholest
    Yes, that's true. I'm really hoping that quitting smoking helps as well as eating even healthier than I do already--not all the time, but the majority of the time I have been. Lol

I've got the audiobook version of The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I've been listening off and on since last night. I'll be a non-smoker before Monday, I'm sure of it. :)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It would be AWESOME for you to quit smoking, I'm rooting for you o:)
  • barbheart
    Options
    THAT IS SOOOO AWESOME Sandy!!! You will be a happy non smoker by monday!!! hurrey!!! Your life will change, you wait and see... breath is so important... and the smoke creates a false protection around you that isolates you from others on an energy level plus your aura gets all smokey LOL:.. I am really happy for you!!!! my health improved so much when I quit smoking!!!! my skin rejuvenated!!! that is a bonus!!!
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    It would be AWESOME for you to quit smoking, I'm rooting for you o:)

Thanks, Brenda!