Replies

• maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!
  • Dsummer12
    Dsummer12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    as a newbie, that was perfect read for me, thank you!
  • abbyweaver1975
    abbyweaver1975 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!!! I have been successful in the Keto lifestyle for approximately a month. I have failed many times before and this post reminds me of why I failed and why I am succeeding. I think we need to read this every time we start to get distracted to remind us of what we are doing. Thanks again!
  • gethealthygetthin
    gethealthygetthin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    New to the group, what a great overview and great observations. Thanks for sharing! :)
  • rich41n
    rich41n Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm just over a week in on keto....thanks to OP for this. Great advice!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://perfectketo.com/what-is-a-ketone/

I read this the other day and it sums up what have learned reading and doing Keto for nearly four years now.

In short health is controlled more by biology than simple math I have come to realize.

My first year into Keto was bumpy so one can expect that possibility. My only goal is that my health and health markers improve somewhat each year. They have for the past four years in my case.

https://ebay.com/itm/Police-Digital-Breath-Alcohol-Tester-Professional-Breathalyser-Detector-Portable/291349769044?epid=1861569551&hash=item43d5ccab54:g:jBsAAOSw1ZBUrjOp

I found one of these acetone meters in my desk and it still works so I started to use it again just for the heck of it. I am blowing around .02-.03 % most times that I check. There is an expensive version of this same technology call Ketonix I think but none are needed and they all can be flakey to use. The article below covers this subject if you are interested to know if you are producing Ketones at any level and do not like working with your blood or urine.

https://fatforweightloss.com.au/measure-breath-ketones/
  • rich41n
    rich41n Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to all of this so I'm not positive I'm in Ketosis but I've lost about 10 lbs in just over 1 week so I think it's a pretty good bet (SW 285). I'm holding off on any monitoring and supplements for now but I'm ensuring I get enough sodium. I'm going to ride it out for a few weeks and see where this takes me!

I do feel better and surprisingly (or perhaps not) is that I don't feel nearly as hungry as I did before. I do full body strength training with a personal trainer twice per week for an hour and usually on those days I'm completely famished....not any more!
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This - thanks for the reminder. 3. I am not cured of my binge eating. I will never be cured. In the same way that heroine addict clean for 4 years can not have "just one fix"
  • babysteps2skinny
    babysteps2skinny Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! You have literally covered everything. I needed to hear this from someone and here I am! :) Thank you and congratulations on your success!
  • abbyweaver1975
    Options
    PaulaKro - I agree with addiction to carbs being a disease. Went on vacation and fell off the wagon and I am having a heck of a time getting back on it. That wagon is beating me to death! I could use one of those centers. LOL!
  • Aquapunch
    Aquapunch Posts: 18 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    great post Iam wondering what it means BPC. I just started keto about 6 weeks ago and my chloresterol is pretty high. I do have butter and bacon. Try to get enough fat in is not always easy.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    BPC = Bullet Proof Coffee - coffee with extra fat mixed in (like butter or coconut oil). Some people swear by it, personally, I think it is gross and disgusting (but that's just my humble and worthless opinion :smile: ).
  • abbyweaver1975
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    BPC = Bullet Proof Coffee - coffee with extra fat mixed in (like butter or coconut oil). Some people swear by it, personally, I think it is gross and disgusting (but that's just my humble and worthless opinion :smile: ).

I think I agree, I have never heard of that but it sounds terrible.
  • 2Bhealthier2
    2Bhealthier2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post, I was doing Keto and doing well, life happened (my choice obviously) and I've put almost all my weight back on. What I did find is that when I did Keto I over all felt so much better. I had more energy, maybe more then in my youthful years, not exhausted all the time, and I felt full. I'm starting back on it because as you said it's a way of life not a diet for me too.

I was surprised to hear that your cholesterol jumped up. I have read so much on Keto and that was never mentioned just that it wouldn't make your cholesterol go up, so I'm confused again on your comment.

Great job with your weight loss and keeping it off and sharing what you have noticed with all of us.
  • Ecosse2018
    Ecosse2018 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this really inspiring and motivating post. Over the past six years I have low carbed and lost 20 lbs, then indulged in a few carbs every now and then and have now regained those 20 lbs. Why do I do it? Every morning I think I will not eat anything containing sugar and then after dinner I indulge maybe in one plain biscuit, and next day I repeat the process. I think I must be mad because I know what I should do and must do if I want to lose those 20lbs and be slim again. Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I am determined that by Christmas those 20 will be gone. I will reread your post every morning . 😊