5/3/1 Support Thread

Options

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    There's also this site:

http://www.strstd.com/

I just use an app on my iPhone, but I've heard good things about that site.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Sort of... I have a blank spreadsheet that I used and each column is an exercise, and then I have my 1RM, TM, and each weight calculated between 40% and 125% (joker sets). I just use a notebook to log my lifting plan and just refer to the spreadsheet for 5/3/1 weights and take notes. I put my phones in my bag or locker so they're not a distraction and so I don't drop a plate on them. LOL.

Great formula's

1RM: Weight * Reps * .0175 + Weight = Estimated 1RM (the book uses 0.0333 but I feel that is far too aggressive and .0175 is very close if not dead-on with my true 1RM)

Rounding in Excel 2010: =MROUND(CELL w/ weight reference * CELL w/ % reference,5) - This rounds in multiples of 5. If you don't have Excel 2010 you can use the CEILING function; I just find MROUND to be more precise.
  • JNick77
    Options
    To end cycle 4 I hit a 260lb bench press for my new 1RM. In roughly 12 weeks I've put 30lbs on my bench press. 5/3/1 + Chocolate Milk = win. LOL
  • JNick77
    Options
    What's going on in the world of 5/3/1 for the rest of you guys? You've heard enough from me, how's everybody else progressing? What does your training look like?

Yesterday I did some cardio, finally, and I tried the JTS bike tempos and they were kinda tough, definitely good cardio.
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    What's going on in the world of 5/3/1 for the rest of you guys? You've heard enough from me, how's everybody else progressing? What does your training look like?

Yesterday I did some cardio, finally, and I tried the JTS bike tempos and they were kinda tough, definitely good cardio.

Deer hunting is next week, so I am deloading this week then taking a week off for hunting. Going to start fresh with trying the 6 week cycles, FSL, and Joker sets.

Started doing front squats recently using the 5/3/1 format too, got a new 1RM of 250. It wasn't a grinder so I think I could've got more, but I had to move on. Still doing squats, just added a day for front ones. I know it's not necessarily Wendler approved, but so far I haven't had any recovery issues.

Eyeballing my first ever meet in May... havent decided if I want to do it yet or not since it requires travel/hotel. just thinking about it.
  • JNick77
    Options

Deer hunting is next week, so I am deloading this week then taking a week off for hunting. Going to start fresh with trying the 6 week cycles, FSL, and Joker sets.

Started doing front squats recently using the 5/3/1 format too, got a new 1RM of 250. It wasn't a grinder so I think I could've got more, but I had to move on. Still doing squats, just added a day for front ones. I know it's not necessarily Wendler approved, but so far I haven't had any recovery issues.

Eyeballing my first ever meet in May... havent decided if I want to do it yet or not since it requires travel/hotel. just thinking about it.

That's cool, you won't regret it that's for sure. Good for you on the Front Squats I friggin' hate them becuase I struggle with the clean position.

With any luck you'll be luggin' around a buck which will be plenty of exercise. My brother-in-law just got one, so good luck to you.

I'm really waiting to hear from somebody that is doing SVR but doing it "by the book." SVR is almost "Cube'ish" in design.
  • sluggz
    Options

That's cool, you won't regret it that's for sure. Good for you on the Front Squats I friggin' hate them becuase I struggle with the clean position.

With any luck you'll be luggin' around a buck which will be plenty of exercise. My brother-in-law just got one, so good luck to you.

I'm really waiting to hear from somebody that is doing SVR but doing it "by the book." SVR is almost "Cube'ish" in design.

I'll try the SVR. I'm resetting anyways, looks like fun. What do you mean by "by the book"? I'd like your thoughts here, can/should a person do FSL and Joker sets too? It seems like Joker sets are kind of built in to the 5/3/1 week in SVR, but only that week. I am thinking of doing FSL (paused squat and bench) or just going with BBB for the first few cycles and see how it goes. Thoughts?
  • JNick77
    Options
    I'll try the SVR. I'm resetting anyways, looks like fun. What do you mean by "by the book"? I'd like your thoughts here, can/should a person do FSL and Joker sets too? It seems like Joker sets are kind of built in to the 5/3/1 week in SVR, but only that week. I am thinking of doing FSL (paused squat and bench) or just going with BBB for the first few cycles and see how it goes. Thoughts?

"By the book" I mean to do it as Jim writes it without taking personal liberties on that method. I would almost say that FSL and Jokers don't apply with SVR; it's like its own self-contained training method without needing any of the add-ons. Jokers and FSL fit perfectly with BBB but I don't think it works for SVR. Each week of SVR is very specific with the 3/5/1 format. Week 1 of 3's is for Rep PR's, Week 2 of 5's is for Volume, Week 3 of 5/3/1 is for heavy Singles. He probably should've called it RVS but it doesn't have the same ring to it. LOL!

For FSL, yes I would recommend doing paused squats, bench, and OHP. It's surprising as to how much harder it can be by holding a 2 or 3 second pause. Today for instance was my OHP day. My FSL set was 110lbs and I held it for a 3-second pause; I could only do 10 reps, but I can rep 140 for 10 regular reps. Granted FSL comes after a couple Joker sets but still. I like the fact that with BBB I can still push heavier sets with Joker Sets but have the volume of FSL and BBB. Plus I do the opposite exercise for BBB, so I get to do each main exercise twice a week, which I think helps me a lot but it could be all mental.
  • sluggz
    Options

"By the book" I mean to do it as Jim writes it without taking personal liberties on that method. I would almost say that FSL and Jokers don't apply with SVR; it's like its own self-contained training method without needing any of the add-ons. Jokers and FSL fit perfectly with BBB but I don't think it works for SVR. Each week of SVR is very specific with the 3/5/1 format. Week 1 of 3's is for Rep PR's, Week 2 of 5's is for Volume, Week 3 of 5/3/1 is for heavy Singles. He probably should've called it RVS but it doesn't have the same ring to it. LOL!

For FSL, yes I would recommend doing paused squats, bench, and OHP. It's surprising as to how much harder it can be by holding a 2 or 3 second pause. Today for instance was my OHP day. My FSL set was 110lbs and I held it for a 3-second pause; I could only do 10 reps, but I can rep 140 for 10 regular reps. Granted FSL comes after a couple Joker sets but still. I like the fact that with BBB I can still push heavier sets with Joker Sets but have the volume of FSL and BBB. Plus I do the opposite exercise for BBB, so I get to do each main exercise twice a week, which I think helps me a lot but it could be all mental.

I think what I'll try is to do the SVR sets, BBB at 50% - of complimentary lift i.e. Front Squat, Incline Press, Sumo or Defecit Dead, etc... and then minor assistance work. We'll see how it goes for a few cycles.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I think what I'll try is to do the SVR sets, BBB at 50% - of complimentary lift i.e. Front Squat, Incline Press, Sumo or Defecit Dead, etc... and then minor assistance work. We'll see how it goes for a few cycles.

Do you think you would need that extra volume on SVR 3's and 5's weeks? It seems like the only day that would need more volume is the SVR 5/3/1 day. I'm thinking that maybe you just find 3 or 4 accessory movements to work on weak-points, maybe had FSL to the 3's day. Don't know...
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

I am in week 3 right now. Not exactly sure what cycle I am on, I started it last year and have been using a few different spreadsheets so currently it is cycle 5. My deadlift is at 365 (so close to 400) but my OHP is a disappointing 145 for 4 or 5 clean reps. I need to do something to break through on the press. Bench and squats were reset to 245 and 300.
  • JNick77
    Options

I am in week 3 right now. Not exactly sure what cycle I am on, I started it last year and have been using a few different spreadsheets so currently it is cycle 5. My deadlift is at 365 (so close to 400) but my OHP is a disappointing 145 for 4 or 5 clean reps. I need to do something to break through on the press. Bench and squats were reset to 245 and 300.

I remember being stuck at 365 and 385 for a while and then one day I just hit 405. What variation of 5/3/1 are you on? Have you gotten Beyond 5/3/1 and looked into some of the new stuff? I actually reset my squat too when I first started 5/3/1. I was just struggling too much and having too many issues with my hips. The reset has been perfect.
  • mikemc620
    Options

I remember being stuck at 365 and 385 for a while and then one day I just hit 405. What variation of 5/3/1 are you on? Have you gotten Beyond 5/3/1 and looked into some of the new stuff? I actually reset my squat too when I first started 5/3/1. I was just struggling too much and having too many issues with my hips. The reset has been perfect.

I'm not really stuck on the deadlift. I did 355 for I believe 6 reps last week and it was the first time that I got 355 up. I have not gotten beyond but have tried jokers for a little and will throw them in occasionally when I am feeling good.

I am doing BBB doing them on alternating days (Squat/Deadlift, Bench/OHP) and am on the 3rd cycle where I did 50%, 60% and 70% 5x10. I was able to get all of those reps done until the last set at 70% where I got 8-10 depending on the lift and the week. I have been doing much better on my bench and squat getting full ROM.

I feel like all of my lifts are going up and I am getting stronger but the OHP just seems to be lagging behind.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I'm not really stuck on the deadlift. I did 355 for I believe 6 reps last week and it was the first time that I got 355 up. I have not gotten beyond but have tried jokers for a little and will throw them in occasionally when I am feeling good.

I am doing BBB doing them on alternating days (Squat/Deadlift, Bench/OHP) and am on the 3rd cycle where I did 50%, 60% and 70% 5x10. I was able to get all of those reps done until the last set at 70% where I got 8-10 depending on the lift and the week. I have been doing much better on my bench and squat getting full ROM.

I feel like all of my lifts are going up and I am getting stronger but the OHP just seems to be lagging behind.

Well if that's the one lagging, that's the most common one to lag behind. What do you do for upper back work? One thing that I like doing so far is using DB's for my BBB OHP and BP lifts instead of the barbell. You're accomplishing basically the same thing but yet using the DB's is a slightly different stimulus. If you're using alternating days you can also use FSL and you might consider doing those as paused-reps.
  • mikemc620
    Options

Well if that's the one lagging, that's the most common one to lag behind. What do you do for upper back work? One thing that I like doing so far is using DB's for my BBB OHP and BP lifts instead of the barbell. You're accomplishing basically the same thing but yet using the DB's is a slightly different stimulus. If you're using alternating days you can also use FSL and you might consider doing those as paused-reps.

Well I wasn't stuck on deadlifts before. Tried 365 3 times tonight and couldn't get it past my shins. I decided to start doing rack pulls. For upper back work I am doing barbell rows. I just started doing them off of the rack as well to take the tension off after each pull.

I only have 50 lb dumbbells so that doesn't work for my bench when I've been doing 180 for my BBB. I've been doing 110 for OHP so they may work for a little there but I am planning on changing the BBB programming next cycle and doing 65% 5x10, 75% 5x8 and 85%5x5 so I will be needing more for the OHP.
  • JNick77
    Options

Well I wasn't stuck on deadlifts before. Tried 365 3 times tonight and couldn't get it past my shins. I decided to start doing rack pulls. For upper back work I am doing barbell rows. I just started doing them off of the rack as well to take the tension off after each pull.

I only have 50 lb dumbbells so that doesn't work for my bench when I've been doing 180 for my BBB. I've been doing 110 for OHP so they may work for a little there but I am planning on changing the BBB programming next cycle and doing 65% 5x10, 75% 5x8 and 85%5x5 so I will be needing more for the OHP.

Let us know how the Rack Pulls go for you. I use to do them and they never seemed to benefit me much. The best thing for me was pulling heavier more often and building my posterior chain. I think the added volume with 5/3/1 has helped a lot too. Recently I started doing Sumo DL's for my BBB exercise. I think those also help in building strength for getting the weight off the floor; I'm going to use them for another cycle or two and see how it goes.

The DB limitation sucks but you can probably work around it. Why not try doing the BBB exercise as you would with the BB but do them as paused reps, like a 2 or 3 second hold? I'm not sure what % you're using for your BBB but it's possible you may have to back-off the weight a little. One thing that some people scoffed at that I added in several months ago was Lat Raises. I do 5sets of 10 at least once a week and I've gone from doing 20lbs for sets of 10 to now doing 40lbs for a couple sets of 10 and then I taper of to sets of 9 and 8 but I'm building up. Coincidentally, my OHP and BP are also going up. I've also had trouble with my shoulder for years and it's never felt healthier since I've been doing lat raises. It's a consideration as well.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Today was kind of a jacked-up training session. The weight was moving well but I kept popping a blood vessel in my nose and it just got so frustrating that I had to stop. I was suppose to do a Joker set of 400 for 5 reps and I would've gotten it if I didn't have blood pouring out my nose after the 2nd rep. I did a 3rd rep and had to stop. There were a lot of people in the gym this morning and I felt like an *kitten* getting blood all over the damn floor. What a pain in the *kitten*.
  • mikemc620
    Options
    This last cycle I have been doing 5x10 at 270 for deadlifts on my squat day. It has definitely been kicking my *kitten* hard when I do that. I was able to get 365 off of the floor on 2 of the attempts that I made but was only able to get it to about mid shin so that's why I decided to throw in the rack pulls. On squat day I may just progress up to 365 again doing triples to see if I can get it. I think that most of the problem is mental because I didn't have any trouble at 355 last month. I was doing more sumos over the summer but decided to get back into doing the conventional DLs.

I could see that I may be going for too much in my BBB OHP sets. I will dial that down a bit and I can probably just use the DB for a bit and will add in some lat raises.
  • JNick77
    Options
    This last cycle I have been doing 5x10 at 270 for deadlifts on my squat day. It has definitely been kicking my *kitten* hard when I do that. I was able to get 365 off of the floor on 2 of the attempts that I made but was only able to get it to about mid shin so that's why I decided to throw in the rack pulls. On squat day I may just progress up to 365 again doing triples to see if I can get it. I think that most of the problem is mental because I didn't have any trouble at 355 last month. I was doing more sumos over the summer but decided to get back into doing the conventional DLs.

I could see that I may be going for too much in my BBB OHP sets. I will dial that down a bit and I can probably just use the DB for a bit and will add in some lat raises.

Hey, rack pulls definitely work for some folks so you should go for it. I wish our gym's rack would go low enough to give them a shot again. Getting the weight to mid-shin and failing is definitely frustrating. Not really sure what to say other then keep hitting it hard and you'll get there. I like sumo pulling for BBB but I'm not sure that it's for everybody or even that useful yet, kind of an experiment for me.
  • mikemc620
    Options

Hey, rack pulls definitely work for some folks so you should go for it. I wish our gym's rack would go low enough to give them a shot again. Getting the weight to mid-shin and failing is definitely frustrating. Not really sure what to say other then keep hitting it hard and you'll get there. I like sumo pulling for BBB but I'm not sure that it's for everybody or even that useful yet, kind of an experiment for me.

I may actually get back into doing more sumo. I think that it may actually work better for me with my height but I wanted to give conventional a try. I have been kinda tired at work recently but didn't want to make that an excuse so I will just try again and if it doesn't happen again I will probably give sumo another round.

What do you do for upper back?