5/3/1 Support Thread

Options

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Nice man!

Btw... GMs it is then... lower (distal) biceps tendonitis. Have to lay off upper body and DLs for a couple weeks. My legs are going to grow like a mother****er...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Nice man!

Btw... GMs it is then... lower (distal) biceps tendonitis. Have to lay off upper body and DLs for a couple weeks. My legs are going to grow like a mother****er...

I actually think I have that issue too right now. It gets tight and I worry that it's going to tear. I have some lacrosse balls and have been rolling my bicep and forearm to help relieve tension, we'll see... Luckily I think next week is going to be a deload week anyway.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Careful with that bro. Everything I've read is to give it full rest, and ice it a few times a day. The thought of a bicep tendon tear terrifies me...

Here's a link: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/orthopaedics-rheumatology/diseases-conditions/hic-biceps-tendon-injuries.aspx

Something I've decided to do after resting it is stop with the switch grip on deads from now on. Apparently the supponated hand/arm takes the brunt of it and bicep injuries are really common. Screw that, I'm using pronated grip with straps from now on for the heavy lifts.

Mine started (though it could have been developing before) on a Fri when I did all 4 lifts, 3x10 at 60% (was tight on time and traveling). I don't think I warmed up enough.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.. I've thought about switching grip on deadlifts, Might give that a run after this comp (13th October)... I don't have an bicep issues though (Probably as I don't believe I have any Biceps TO injury...)

Just thought I'd share a few Notes on my training since going back to my Mismash 5/3/1...

I put the main lifts back to this as I'd taken 6 weeks running at 1RM's!!! Insane! I'd failed a 240KG Deadlift 3 weeks on the run, and was struggling on squats....

Increased calories, mainly carbs, and did 5/31 on the main lifts, but at an insane 80%+ 1RM

It meant I pulled 3x3 at 220KG, 3/2/1 at 230KG, Rep\Set PB's. I hit Single's at 235KG for a PB, followed 3 days later by a 240KG, and 250KG got a measly 1 inch off the floor (Same stalling point as the 3 failed 240KG's!)

Squats today was 3x3 at 170KG (170KG will be my comp opener)

Bench has major stalled, that's down to a weird right elbow issue though...

Overall, really glad I went back to this, and good to see it's paying off. Yes a BIG part is upping calories, especially Carbs, but this gave me a temporary break, while still allowing me to hit good reps at a Damn heavy weight. My DL target for this YEAR is 250KG, I'm certain I'm hitting that soon, and am chasing down my Gym owners comp PB of 270KG (20 years ago mind)
  • JNick77
    Options
    Careful with that bro. Everything I've read is to give it full rest, and ice it a few times a day. The thought of a bicep tendon tear terrifies me...

Trust me, it scares me too and I'm definitely taking some preventative consideration into account. However, the bicep tendon on my under-hand grip isn't the one that's irritating me, it would be overhand grip hand that's giving me problems. My left arm (underhand) is fine.
    Just thought I'd share a few Notes on my training since going back to my Mismash 5/3/1..

Glad to see you're making some progress by switching back. Sorry to hear about the elbow issues with the bench press, I've been there before and occasionally still get some elbow discomfort. I have more soft-tissue issues than I care to admit to. LOL!

Have you bought the Beyond 5/3/1 book yet?
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Great video on YouTube about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvGqFhgbLXQ

CanditoTrainingHQ... phenominal channel on YouTube.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Great video on YouTube about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvGqFhgbLXQ

CanditoTrainingHQ... phenominal channel on YouTube.

That's funny you posted this because I actually subscribe to it. I hadn't seen that video at all. He makes a good point but I'm wondering why the hell it's my overhand grip that's sore and not my other arm. I actually notice it more when I'm doing SLDL than regular DL's because I use a double-overhand grip for SLDL's.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Snatch grip? That would have a similar affect. But maybe its not the deads, what else are you doing?

Maybe you're inadvertently pulling with your "dumb" arm when you DL.

Point in case, I used to do this on the press, more force with my "dumb" left arm bc i was focusing more on my right (just in reverse in your case with pulling).
  • JNick77
    Options
    Dunno, not gonna do anymore pulling this week. /sigh...

Got this answered on EliteFTS though...

9/26/2013 2:44:03 PM - Jason
    I've developed some soreness and tightness in what I believe to be my bicep. It starts a few inches below my forearm and goes up to what feels like under my elbow. Somebody told me that's common with a mixed deadlifting grip, but that's my overhand grip and not the underhand; my underhand grip arm is fine. Would using straps help alleviate some pressure and tension for pulling exercises? Thanks - Jason

EliteFTS Reply
    Just because it's the over hand doesn't mean you are not contracting the bicep and possibly pulling with your arms too much. You can try straps but also try switching your grips set to set, especially on lighter sets...and make sure you are not pulling with your arms!
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    $%^& why am I not on the EliteFTS forums?!?!

Going there now...
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Trust me, it scares me too and I'm definitely taking some preventative consideration into account. However, the bicep tendon on my under-hand grip isn't the one that's irritating me, it would be overhand grip hand that's giving me problems. My left arm (underhand) is fine.
    Just thought I'd share a few Notes on my training since going back to my Mismash 5/3/1..

Glad to see you're making some progress by switching back. Sorry to hear about the elbow issues with the bench press, I've been there before and occasionally still get some elbow discomfort. I have more soft-tissue issues than I care to admit to. LOL!

Have you bought the Beyond 5/3/1 book yet?

We have a sports Massage guy who we get to come to our Gym weekly, I'm booking in for next week, Hoping that will sort a few issues out...

Just got the Beyond 5/3/1 still to read it as yet. Planning to take a look this weekend
  • JNick77
    Options
    Just got the Beyond 5/3/1 still to read it as yet. Planning to take a look this weekend

Pages 14 and 15 include my two favorite variants of 5/3/1 and the cool thing is that you combine the two. I actually combine the pyramids too. I like 5/3/1 before I read this but I'm an every bigger fan now. Joker Sets is another great add-on. Love this book :)
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

Pages 14 and 15 include my two favorite variants of 5/3/1 and the cool thing is that you combine the two. I actually combine the pyramids too. I like 5/3/1 before I read this but I'm an every bigger fan now. Joker Sets is another great add-on. Love this book :)

I have the kindle version and can't figure out which variants you are referring to. I have started the first set last variant. That is tough. Especially combined with BBB. Will have to try the pyramid.
  • JNick77
    Options

I have the kindle version and can't figure out which variants you are referring to. I have started the first set last variant. That is tough. Especially combined with BBB. Will have to try the pyramid.

The core piece I'm referring to is the 5/3/1 Strength Phase (variation of 5/3/1 for PL). In my book it's page 15, not sure. LOL. The First Set Last set you can simply add-on to the Strength Phase variation, as well as Pyramiding. A squat session for 3/3/3+ week may look something like:

-Squat
    70% x 3 reps
    80% x 3 reps
    90% x 3+ reps
    1 x 1 @ Training Max
    80% x 3+ reps
    70% x 3+reps *Paused* or 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps *Paused*

As I've been progressing I've been doing mine a little different. On the third set of 3 I only do 3 reps but then I do the 90% again on the way back down and hit it for 3+ reps. Right now my 90% set is my Training Max and even over TM on one or two exercises.
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    Holy crap, I'm not ready for that yet. Maybe in a year.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Holy crap, I'm not ready for that yet. Maybe in a year.

Why do you say that? You look like you're in good shape. It does work you hard but I'm sure you can do it. Honestly, the Pyramiding, working at TM or above TM (Joker Sets) is based a lot on how you feel. I have a plan each session but it often changes based on how I feel, either add / subtract or completely change something. If you feel like @ss when you get to the gym and get going then maybe just hit that 1 rep at TM and be done. If you feel great then hit that 1 rep at TM and maybe shoot for a Joker Set single or reps and then pyramid down. Beyond 5/3/1 really opens things up with 5/3/1 and you can really change things on the fly and still be very effective.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Hey Tom, are you doing 5/3/1 right now? If not, I would start out with the standard program from the 5/3/1 book, before moving out to Beyond 5/3/1. Just so you've got the fundamentals down. Beyond is basically a book of templates and variations.

I didn't realize this when I picked up the book, and it took me a bit to realize it. Made sense to me afterwards lol

I was like "oh, so he's recommending I change to this... wait, then this... wait, then... what the f%&k! lol"

Yo Nick,

I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner, but I have a relative who is a top tier nurse (she's wrapping up her PhD now actually and has been practicing for years). Brought up the elbow tendinitis to her, and she confirmed that tendinitis indicates a certain amount of degradation of the tendon, so resting it and icing it/taking NSAIDS (w/ food), is important.

As a general rule, she advised to use pain and soreness as an indication of healing, and that you could expect it to heal within about 1-2 weeks if you give it sufficient rest. Then a slow and steady return to exrcise that stresses it, keeping an eye out for pain.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Yo Nick,

I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner, but I have a relative who is a top tier nurse (she's wrapping up her PhD now actually and has been practicing for years). Brought up the elbow tendinitis to her, and she confirmed that tendinitis indicates a certain amount of degradation of the tendon, so resting it and icing it/taking NSAIDS (w/ food), is important.

As a general rule, she advised to use pain and soreness as an indication of healing, and that you could expect it to heal within about 1-2 weeks if you give it sufficient rest. Then a slow and steady return to exrcise that stresses it, keeping an eye out for pain.

Cool, thanks for the info. I kinda' figured that as I can tell how it feels. I decided that I'm going to finish this week's training plan, I only have Bench day left, but eliminate all pulling exercises. Then next week I'll take a break through at least Wed and see how it's feeling. At most I'll do a deload session for each movement (except DL) late iin the week. I really took Candito's comments on the DL to heart and I actually ordered a pair of straps. I never thought I'd see the day where I'd be using straps but he's right. I'm not competing and the focus of the DL is not the grip. Plus, I've already hit my DL goals so anything going forward is "gravy". I'll use straps with a double-overhand grip and see how it goes. Perhaps the mixed grip has just caused too much of an imbalance which is why I'm having an issue.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Squat Day - Cycle 3 5/3/1+ Day

I discussed it earlier and I've decided to go ahead and switch from a wide-stance back squat to an Olympic squat stance. I've done them before for reps after main squat or DL work, so doing them from warm-up to finish was different. At first I couldn't get down all the way so my warm-ups took a little long until I was comfortable hitting parallel But I soon got into my rhythm and hit parallel no problem. I had no idea how much I could squat so I slowly worked up to a heavy single. Here was my workout today:

a. Oly Squat: 1RM = 320lbs (not as far off from my wide stance squat as I initially thought)
    b1. Squat Press 5 x 10 @ 450lbs
    b2. Glute Bridge 5 x 10 @ 185lbs
    c1. Leg Extensions 2 x 25 @ 60lbs
    c2. Leg Curls 2 x 25 @ 60lbs
    Abs - 2 x 50 of standing pulldowns

I was very happy with my squat results. The Squat Press / Glute Bridge superset was brutal. My hamstrings were already a little sore after that. Then since I'm going to take some time off next week I figured I would just exhaust the hell out of my legs today so I finished with a high-rep superset of leg extensions and leg curls just to further exhaust the muscle. My legs are tired, sore, and so swollen that I can barely get them in my jeans this morning, they look a little snug and they ain't skinny jeans. LOL!!!
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    Hey Tom, are you doing 5/3/1 right now? If not, I would start out with the standard program from the 5/3/1 book, before moving out to Beyond 5/3/1. Just so you've got the fundamentals down. Beyond is basically a book of templates and variations.

I didn't realize this when I picked up the book, and it took me a bit to realize it. Made sense to me afterwards lol

I was like "oh, so he's recommending I change to this... wait, then this... wait, then... what the f%&k! lol"

I've only got 3 months of 5/3/1 under my belt. So far, I've just added the first set last to the normal routine. If I am feeling it, I do joker sets to see where my 1RM is. That happens about once a month. And I do the BBB accessories.

I do love the variations that beyond 5/3/1 offers and I will probably save the pyramid stuff for when I start my bulk in November.

Although I am doing the 6 week variation now. I just didn't feel like a reload after the last cycle. Had lots of energy and I'm still new so I don't think I need a full week deload yet. I will keep skipping the deload until I stall.

Love this thread, BTW.