Are there any girls that look like or want to look like models?

Options

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My scale broke and I cant measure my progress! But I started getting more compliments about my form or even somebody asked me how did I lose so much weight so fast. I guess it is getting closer to the goal.
    I also decided to stop training with squats and found a new strategy 'build butt without legs'. You can google it, the exercises you will find are sooo good! But probably most of you are familiar with it :smiley: I just wanted to share the inspiration with you! I think it would bring me closer to the lean look than getting bigger thighs. Mine are on the bulky side. :neutral:
    How are you doing?
    And where is @GoldenEye_ ??

P.S. I am typing from my phone, sorry if I overlook some questions :smiley:

@dubstepvideobody .. was it Bret Contreras? He has a few great articles taking about that sort of thing. Most of my workouts come from him and Kellie Davis (co-author of Strong Curves). I like him and feel like he just gets it!

I always think my quads are going to be too bulky but then I look at a bikini competitor and they train quads and legs like crazy but it just looks really defined, so I'm not too worried! But I mean I have alot of fat on my thighs which I would have to lose first to look anywhere near that... So ya not gonna happen :p
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have massive thighs no matter what. They are either muscular and big or fat and big or a combination of the two. I do try to avoid the leg press as I think that really grows your quads. Just squatting and deadlifting doesn't seem to really do as much. My husband made a comment recently about my legs looking too muscular, but I think it's just that I've put on weight so the extra fat is making them look even bigger.

@dubstepvideobody, I never said that being underweight was unhealthy, although there is a point where it is proven that it is. I felt overweight at a BMI of 21.7 (that's the highest I've been non-pregnant). I feel most comfortable in the 18.5 range unless I added a lot more muscle mass. However, I honestly can't imagine being in the 16.5 range. That seems crazy lean. I guess it all depends on your build, but I'm very small boned and look skeletal too much below 18. Of course my legs are still big, so I guess if you carry your fat evenly maybe it's not so bad. That would probably also put me in the 10% fat range or less. At a BMI of 19.7, I was 15% BF.

@plainpixxel, massages are awesome and I highly recommend. You just have to tell the masseuse what you are looking for. If you just want to relax, they can do like a hot stone massage and gentle pressure. If you need to work out knots like me, they will do harder pressure and it can be painful.

@JeepHair77, I avoid too much cardio because it affects me the same way. That's how I gained weight. I was riding my bike to work every day and it made me ravenous. I thought that I would lose weight from the extra cardio and the fact I was eating "healthy". Nooooo....this was before MFP, so I had no clue about calories. I was eating cheese, fruit, nuts, full fat yogurt, granola, etc...A LOT. Some of the most calorie dense foods possible - and virtually no protein (other than what came from dairy).
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    @WallyAmadeus, that is one of the main reasons I lift. I want to prevent osteoporosis. My grandmother has it and just broke her hip and leg. I took Depo Provera shots for years when I was younger and I did some damage to my bones. I had a DEXA scan last year and they are fine now. Average, but not great.

I think the amount of effort varies person to person and with age. What took little effort 10 years ago takes a great deal of effort now.

This. When I was 30, I remember standing in line at Beck's Prime with some friends to get a cheeseburger, fries, and milkshake. A meal I ate often and without a second thought. And I remember standing in that line and complaining that my size 0 pants were too loose. This was a time in my life when I was running regularly, but doing no other exercise at all, eating like a horse and drinking like a [very drunk] fish.

Now, 10 years later, I GAIN weight when I'm running regularly, because my appetite gets out of control and I guess I don't burn it off the way I used to.

I think its just calories in calories out. I typed in the iifym calculator (because once I wanted to tell to myself from now you will never eat more than 1800 calories no matter what :smiley: which was really silly, but I like rules, esp rules that should be forever) how much I will need when I am 40 and workout the same as now. Surprise surprise, A LOT less. Like 200 or 300 cals less. A 80 year old would need 1000 cals less for my goal weight. Which also explains why old people are on the heavy side even if they eat extremely small portions. If they dont change portions, they become heavier. Even in 10 years you can reduce your needs. And appetite is normal, just maybe also a thing of the habits you have built in 10 years. I think one could be fit forever. Metabolism is not that important! Except you have thyroid problems. I also like people that work for their great body more than the people that just 'have it'. It shows discipline and character!

It is CICO, but I think the "CO" half of that equation is highly individual, so I guess that was my point. At 30, my body did "CO" like a boss. I couldn't put on weight if I tried. I COMPLAINED about being too skinny while ordering a meal that probably came in at 2000 calories. It blows my mind.

At 40, I am way more active than I was then and I eat much more mindfully, yet I struggle to keep weight off. I expect my caloric needs to change, but jeez, it's like I'm not even the same person.

• WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think looking a certain way is a fine goal. I'm probably the combined age of everyone who has replied here (!), and my goal is Robin Wright Penn, who has a strong, graceful body. I'm not going to start a separate thread on that goal, but I think that having a role goal model is a good thing! I started lifting 20 years ago, when I was the only woman in the weight room (and yes, as I got stronger, I did enjoy that I could lift more than the guys), but what I have come to appreciate over the years is how the body responds to effort...a lot more effort now, and if I slack off, age and gravity, are not my friends, but I love that a strong, graceful body like Robin Wright Penn's is a role model for women like me.
  • dubstepvideobody
    dubstepvideobody Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think looking a certain way is a fine goal. I'm probably the combined age of everyone who has replied here (!), and my goal is Robin Wright Penn, who has a strong, graceful body. I'm not going to start a separate thread on that goal, but I think that having a role goal model is a good thing! I started lifting 20 years ago, when I was the only woman in the weight room (and yes, as I got stronger, I did enjoy that I could lift more than the guys), but what I have come to appreciate over the years is how the body responds to effort...a lot more effort now, and if I slack off, age and gravity, are not my friends, but I love that a strong, graceful body like Robin Wright Penn's is a role model for women like me.

For a moment I thought she is like a 165 pound crossfiter, like a muscle mountine :D but no, i googled her: she looks like a sexy model, so you are in :smiley: I think we should have some line we hold on to in the thread, because otherwise it is not the thread it was once supposed to be :smiley: this is the reason I only write with like minded people in mfp, because on the main forums i feel lost and misunderstood. So I prefer this thread to stay as it is, skinny or bikini class fitness models, the height doesnt matter. :smiley:

This Robin has great body!
  • dubstepvideobody
    Options
    Oh and good morning, here a vocalhousevideoinspo from me
    https://youtu.be/nQjkszwhuT4
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @dubstepvideobody good job on your progress! When do you get a new scale?

@mom23mangos yes I do massage professionally, it's been 14 years and I focus on pain and injury cases. @plainpixxel yes definitely get a massage! It's so helpful when you're working out a lot.

@JeepHair77 I have always found I get famished with certain workouts and I'm more successful doing less or working out differently to avoid that. So do you still run now?
  • WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Dubstepvideobody: I agree with holding the line. I am 5 ft 8, 142 lbs with a BMI of 21.5 and closer to 60 than 50. Good enough by most standards--and by the standards of the average women my age, I'm a flippin supermodel. However, once I really began to understand how my body works, responds to diet and exercise, the more I want to have a body that is good by my standards-- tighter and stronger. My goal is a 19 BMI..and a strong and shapely one.

Like you, I stopped engaging in the general MFP threads. My lifetime idol is Ernestine Shepherd, who is the world's oldest weight lifter, 82 years old and she not only looks great, but she leads a lifestyle so active that it would crush a far younger person. It is training for my body but it is also training for my life.

General question: What training routine are others using? I know Strong Curves is one. I've been toying adding Pilates and spinning to my routine, but, I feel drawn to Crossfit.
  • JeepHair77
    Options
    @wellnesschaser I do run, still, but not as often or as far. Running was always more of a mental exercise for me than physical - I tend toward fairly intense anxiety, and regular running seems to be my best friend in keeping my anxiety in check. But I've pretty much quit doing any significant distance and instead focus on speed or strength, which is more fun, anyway. So I'll do a 2-mile interval session on the track, or I might spend 15 minutes doing hill intervals. If I'm feeling an anxiety attack coming on, I have this need to RUN, and I might go out and run just one mile, but at a near sprint. And I probably only run about once a week.

Those kinds of workouts still make me ravenous, but it's not a problem like it was when I was running 3-5 miles 4x/week.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    @WallyAmadeus I am currently doing a program similar to Strong Curves called Get Glutes, 4x per week full body with glute focus
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    @WallyAmadeus - great role models! Robin Wright Penn looks absolutely amazing for her age (or for any age). And Ernestine is definitely one of my role models as well. Even if I never look like her at 80, I would love to be able to have her active lifestyle.

I bet you make all your friends jealous with your rockin' bod!

Currently I'm doing Wendler's 5/3/1 and bike commute to work 1-2 days/week. I really enjoy biking, but it just makes me fat. So I prioritize lifting if I can't fit them both in. I've also been getting into calisthenics more. I supplement my lifting with Yin Yoga in the evenings to try to increase my flexibility/mobility. I was being pretty good and doing it almost nightly for a while, then I kind of let it slide. I'm trying to be more consistent. I'll also occasionally do drop in sessions on the aerial silks, but have kind of leary lately as I tend to injure myself on them.
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    @wellnesschaser and @JeepHair77 for some reason exercise in general, but especially running always suppresses my hunger (but I'm still in my twenties) - did it always make you hungry and then get worse as you got older, or was this a new thing as you aged? I'll be really thirsty after I run, but never hungry. I also don't run that far - 10K max generally, so maybe that has something to do with it.

@WallyAmadeus I just looked up Ernestine Shepherd and oh my goodness she doesn't look 80+ at all - she is definitely goals. I would love to be that active and fit when I'm her age!
  • dubstepvideobody
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hmmm I am not sure if cardio makes me very hungry. Yeah, if I eat low calories. But if I run or do spinning 5 to 6 days a week or have to go to the gym there is no way I will overeat every day, because I cant workout with full stomach. So I know okay, if you make yourself bloated today you cant workout tomorrow or later. Also I just have very small waist (64 cm now) and with my tight gym clothes you can SEE the difference between bloated and sexy. I hate it to look unsexy when I workout, I even strive to look hot in the gym because this motivates me to workout. This is the only place that I enjoy compliments about my body. haha So if I ate enough not to feel ravenous, low carb to stay unbloated and keep a nice abs to hip ratio, I will prevent overeating.

If I am on a 1200 calorie diet and must run, I will eat the world by the third day.
    Now I am eating around 2000 and burn around 600 a day.

• dubstepvideobody
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yeah, I also was amazed by Ernestine! Although she is too muscular for me, I prefer to have those muscles with 80 instead of looking like flab :smiley: Honestly, staying fit for life is SUCH a big goal. My mum is not that active, but enough to make the 18 year old friends of my brother want her. Yes, they make comments all the time, which can be annoying but also a thing to be proud of :smiley: I imagine if she worked out a bit with weights WOW :D Also the boyfrieds that I introduced to my family always said that such a mother is the best commercial for the daughter. :smiley: Dont know if I said it right in English, but they meant if the mother looks like this at 50, they imagine I would have a great role model to follow.

With the today's workout culture it would be such a loss for a woman not to implement the knowledge how to stay hot and healthy for life. I think this is a big factor (esp) for a healthy and happy relationship.
    I know it may sound a bit superficial, but sometimes superficial factors could have more than skin deep effects on the personality and how a person behaves.
  • dubstepvideobody
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @sardelsa Yes, I think this was the guy! I think he makes great suggestions for working out.
    Are you happy with "get glutes"? Did you read or buy this programme?
    I dont think I would workout 4 times a week full body, but I wanted to do 2 extra days only for glute building and train legs only with spinning classes and cardio.
  • dubstepvideobody
    Options
    And good morning :)
    A bit old school inspiration that I love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOJk0HW_hJw
  • dubstepvideobody
    Options
    A BIG thanks to the editor of the title!!!
  • JeepHair77
    Options
    @VictoriaTuel - maybe I'm weird, but yeah, cardio makes me hungry and it seems to make me crave the BAD stuff. Not immediately after, but if I go for a long run in the morning, I'm going to want to eat like, a whole pizza that night and want to go get some donuts the next morning. It's ridonkulous. It's always been this way, though. It didn't get worse as I got older, I just lost the ability to outrun it, I guess. Like I was saying before, I specifically remember being 30 and training for a half marathon and eating like a freaking linebacker (and craving things like cheeseburgers and pizza) and still needing a belt with my size 0 pants. I was definitely able to "outrun a bad diet" back then. Can't do it anymore, though.

• mom23mangos
    Options
    @JeepHair77 - most cardio does the same for me, but swimming is the worst. I turn into a ravenous beast. Last year when I got my RMR tested, the grad student that did it was doing his thesis on long distance runners. He said it was crazy how efficient the body got at utilizing calories and it was kind of sad how little they were able to eat in comparison to how much exercise they did.
  • dubstepvideobody
    Options
    @JeepHair77 - most cardio does the same for me, but swimming is the worst. I turn into a ravenous beast. Last year when I got my RMR tested, the grad student that did it was doing his thesis on long distance runners. He said it was crazy how efficient the body got at utilizing calories and it was kind of sad how little they were able to eat in comparison to how much exercise they did.

does this happen also if you do cardio often? not competitive ?