Plant based log

Options

Replies

• wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    You can make a lovely honey mustard salad dressing with or without olive oil. The honey alone will help it stick to the greens. :-)
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    the thing with greens is they are the lowest calorie density food, they run at around 100 cals/lb so it's natural our palate doesn't find them very "interesting"

2 tricks I use to make greens more "interesting" in a healthy way

1. toss them up in a food processor and chop them a bit into smaller pieces, just a couple touches nothing crazy so the chewing is easier

2. Increase the calories density of the salad meal by adding fruit or nuts and seeds, fruit runs at around 300 cals/lb and nuts and seeds at 2800 cals/lb (measured portions with nuts and seeds since they are a high calorie density food)

what I usually do is give the greens a couple touches on the food processor, then sprinkle some berries and do a sort of fruit smoothie a pour it all over as a dressing and is good to go haha

• x3nomorph
    Options
    @newmeadow You could try it for a limited time as an "experiment" do 30 days and see how you feel ;)

Just remember fill your plate with starchy comfort foods, brown rice, potatoes, soup beans, lentils etc those are super healthy and very filling foods, the mastering of raw greens and salads is for when you are a little more advanced in your journey if you ever decide you want to go further haha
  • wsandy8512
    edited June 2017
    Options
    x3nomorph wrote: »
    the thing with greens is they are the lowest calorie density food, they run at around 100 cals/lb so it's natural our palate doesn't find them very "interesting"

2 tricks I use to make greens more "interesting" in a healthy way

1. toss them up in a food processor and chop them a bit into smaller pieces, just a couple touches nothing crazy so the chewing is easier

2. Increase the calories density of the salad meal by adding fruit or nuts and seeds, fruit runs at around 300 cals/lb and nuts and seeds at 2800 cals/lb (measured portions with nuts and seeds since they are a high calorie density food)

what I usually do is give the greens a couple touches on the food processor, then sprinkle some berries and do a sort of fruit smoothie a pour it all over as a dressing and is good to go haha

Yep. I learned those methods from Eat to Live and Forks Over Knives. I love vegetables. I have to have something on salad greens with or sans oil though. Ugh, now I need to go to the store. I suddenly have the desire to make a spinach, roasted pecan, cranberry, and butternut squash salad sometime this week. I really appreciate having vegans and vegetarians here doing OMAD, I'm always on the lookout for different ways to make vegetarian foods. Think I'll make a no chicken salad this week as well that I have as a favorite in the FOK app I have. And you reminded that one time I made an apple salad dressing with no oil and had an apple and walnut with greens salad, it was so good. :-)
  • x3nomorph
    Options
    just wanted to share a new documentary that just came out, it can be watched on Netflix, the title is What the Health

great info by all main plant based doctors, True North, PCRM, Greger,Esselstyn the whole gang chipping in, compelling piece of vegan propaganda haha, check it out if you have Netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf44vLndiRM
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Ooo, sounds interesting - thanks for the heads-up!
  • x3nomorph
    Options
    week 8 completed

WK........ Weight.....Week Chg.....Total......To Reach Goal
    0.............238.6.................................................... 78.6 ....(started plant based diet) 03/06/17
    1.............237.4...............-1.2..........-1.2..............77.4
    2.............232.6...............-4.8..........-6.0..............72.6
    3.............229.0...............-3.6..........-9.6..............69.0
    4.............224.8...............-4.2..........-13.8............64.8
    5.............223.8...............-1.0..........-14.8............63.8
    6.............223.0...............-0.8..........-15.6............63.0
    7.............221.8.............. -1.2..........-16.8.......... 61.8 ....(started OMAD) 04/24/2017
    8.............218.4...............-3.4..........-20.2............58.4
    9............214.8...............-3.6...........-23.8............54.8
    10...........211.0...............-3.8..........-27.6...........51.0
    11...........208.2...............-2.8..........-30.4...........48.2
    12...........204.4...............-3.8..........-34.2...........44.4
    13...........201.6...............-2.8..........-36.0...........41.6
    14...........199.2...............-2.4..........-38.4...........39.2
    15...........197.0...............-2.2..........-40.6..........37.0

tonight's meal

3poz39b0bjop.jpg

brown rice
    baby potatoes
    lentils
    guacamole
    salsa
    whole wheat wrap
    banana
    walnuts
    cranberry juice
    apple cider vinegar(2 tbs)

total: 1553 cals
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    That looks pretty good!
  • wsandy8512
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Nice on the loss and what great looking food!

I wish I could like lentils, I have tried so many times and different ways but they just do not suit my tastebuds. I could kill off everything else on the plate though :-)
  • minigrrll
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Awesome loss!!

I could easily clean off that plate!! Unlike Sandy, I love lentils... That almost looks like Dhal - which is how to make lentils even better than they already are!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    We make lentil tacos all the time. They are really good. No meat at all. Just put all the fixings on it.
  • x3nomorph
    Options
    @minigrrll now that you mention Dahl, I discovered a tiny middle eastern/indian shop a few blocks from my place and my mind was blown at how many exotic grains and legumes the have, the variety of spices , I was like a kid in a candy store, asking the dude "whats this, whats that, how do you prepare this? :D picked up some chutney and curry but I HAVE to go back to that place to try my hand at some of those wonders haha
  • minigrrll
    Options
    x3nomorph wrote: »
    @minigrrll now that you mention Dahl, I discovered a tiny middle eastern/indian shop a few blocks from my place and my mind was blown at how many exotic grains and legumes the have, the variety of spices , I was like a kid in a candy store, asking the dude "whats this, whats that, how do you prepare this? :D picked up some chutney and curry but I HAVE to go back to that place to try my hand at some of those wonders haha

Oooooo... Sounds awesome. I love Indian food SO MUCH. There are always so many veggie dishes to choose from. I just wish the stuff wasn't so calorific - I usually put it on salad rather than rice in a (mostly in vain probably) effort to keep the calories down. Of course, if I wasn't so lazy I'd cook more myself and not use the (non-vegan obviously) ghee... Unfortunately the Indian round the corner is so easy to order from and have delivered on a weekend evening.
  • x3nomorph
    Options
    week 9 completed

tonight's meal

dtuxjscmo8wp.jpg

brown rice
    baby potatoes
    split peas
    tofu
    guac
    salsa
    walnuts
    berries smoothie

total cals: 2054

I had to subtract 5 oz of potatoes from the ones pictured since I just couldn't finish them all, tomorrow morning weight in time
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    Yummy!!
  • x3nomorph
    Options
    WK........ Weight.....Week Chg.....Total......To Reach Goal
    0.............238.6.................................................... 78.6 ....(started plant based diet) 03/06/17
    1.............237.4...............-1.2..........-1.2..............77.4
    2.............232.6...............-4.8..........-6.0..............72.6
    3.............229.0...............-3.6..........-9.6..............69.0
    4.............224.8...............-4.2..........-13.8............64.8
    5.............223.8...............-1.0..........-14.8............63.8
    6.............223.0...............-0.8..........-15.6............63.0
    7.............221.8.............. -1.2..........-16.8.......... 61.8 ....(started OMAD) 04/24/2017
    8.............218.4...............-3.4..........-20.2............58.4
    9............214.8...............-3.6...........-23.8............54.8
    10...........211.0...............-3.8..........-27.6...........51.0
    11...........208.2...............-2.8..........-30.4...........48.2
    12...........204.4...............-3.8..........-34.2...........44.4
    13...........201.6...............-2.8..........-36.0...........41.6
    14...........199.2...............-2.4..........-38.4...........39.2
    15...........197.0...............-2.2..........-40.6..........37.0
    16...........192.4...............-4.6..........-45.2..........32.4

yesterday I started unpacking old clothes I had stopped wearing because of the weight gain and I was surprised I could fit into a size 33 jeans(loose fit) and a medium old navy t-shirt, I was like whaaaat is this sorcery? I have a long way to go to be lean these shouldn't be fitting me yet, maybe the clothes were stretched out while being packed away for years :D
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Congrats, those loss numbers are staggering.
  • x3nomorph
    edited June 2017
    Options
    thanks jvcinv, according to the vegan propaganda from the plant based group I follow a male should be losing 3 lbs/week and a female 2 lbs /week in my diet

so under 3 lbs/week should be sub par numbers, the last few weeks I had been hovering around 2 lbs weekly loss, tbh I try to keep my mind grounded and don't think about the "scale race" the body will do it in its own time , now if I start trending less that 1 lb a week I will make changes, but that just hasn't happened yet
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I take numbers like those to be averages and you're averaging above 3 lbs per week.
    There are always going to be cycles. You're smart not to get to caught up in the "scale race".
    Things do seem to take care of themselves if you just stay consistent.
  • x3nomorph
    Options
    agreed, consistency and building on your GOOD habits so they can do the heavy lifting for you