Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    From March 2017 to now. Great, steady progress, then a roller coaster. Started at 258, my goal is 200. I've been as low as 206, but only briefly. Maybe if my goal was 190 it would be easier to get to 200?

4r3dl3la8xm8.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 If your like me, I got 3-5 pounds from goal and thought "eh, I could eat". Been so hard to get back on the that discipline wagon.

So if you can trick yourself by setting the goal lower, then try it. i do that with my calories. I kept hearing that I shouldn't lose any weight from my beyond middle aged non-active, out of shape co-workers.

I found out this week that one of them is 2 years older than me. I'd have guessed 10. So, it's hard for me to stay focused surrounded by folks that don't understand the life style.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - maybe your body is telling you that your goal weight is not reasonable for you. Also do you know what your body fat is and has it changed? It may be that you weight has stayed in that range but your BF has gone down. I was able to get to my 'goal weight' - just a number on the scale I choose as being optimal because it sounded like where I should be. I couldn't maintain it however and then felt terrible when I watched it go back up. Now my weight is up a few pounds but my BF is down and I am pleased with that change. (after this past month of travel though I am not sure that is still true, we'll see when I get back to the nutritionist for a measurement).
  • 7lenny7
    edited December 2017
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @7lenny7 - maybe your body is telling you that your goal weight is not reasonable for you. Also do you know what your body fat is and has it changed? It may be that you weight has stayed in that range but your BF has gone down. I was able to get to my 'goal weight' - just a number on the scale I choose as being optimal because it sounded like where I should be. I couldn't maintain it however and then felt terrible when I watched it go back up. Now my weight is up a few pounds but my BF is down and I am pleased with that change. (after this past month of travel though I am not sure that is still true, we'll see when I get back to the nutritionist for a measurement).

@shanaber if i use the NIH BF calculator, a recent weight of 213 lbs and a height of 6'5" gives me a BF of 25.3, just on the cusp between normal and overweight. If I get to 200 pounds, the calculated BF would still be 23.7 so I don't think I'm going for an unobtainable goal. I have plenty of fat left to burn.

That same calculator said I'd have to drop to 156 pounds before I was considered underweight. That, I know, is absurd. I'd be stick if I were that light.

If my BF dropped while my weight stayed the same, I'd be very happy with that, but I'm not doing anything to make that happen at the moment, though I do have a pull-up bar and bodyweight suspension system (TRX clone) ordered and hope to make that part of my training routine.

A weekend of carbs (beer, birthday cake, spaghetti, and two huge sugar/cinnamon bagels for a late night snack last night...definitely head hungry, not stomach hungry for those) and no running bumped my weight up 4 pounds. Thankfully I know most of that gain is water weight and I can get down back down by the weekend.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Anyone have any plans/goals this week to help manage weight loss? Meals planned?

I don't think I've ever been so unmotivated in my life. I'm just so ready to get this next doc visit over an find out what's the plan.

I ate pizza, brownies and cheesecake yesterday. I should probably have a salad today. And get on the TM.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I made a big pot of white chili (with leftover turkey instead of chicken) and cooked up a bunch of winter squash for the week. Both filling, low calorie density foods.

I pre-cooked a bunch of scrambled eggs for easy breakfasts this week. Trying to stay away from cereal when I'm in a hurry.

I'm also going to try harder this week (reoccurring theme)

Yesterday I was significantly under my calorie budget...like 1000 cals! So I got that going for me. Which is nice.
  • CiaraRebello
    CiaraRebello Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For lunch this week I made taco salads and squash soup.

I have almost always conquered breakfast and lunch but at dinnertime I still fail myself too often (yesterday was McDonalds) so that has to be next. One step at a time..
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I ate an entire reese's bar tonight. It's my weakness and I can't stop at a serving. Gotta try harder cuz I still have one left.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I ate an entire reese's bar tonight. It's my weakness and I can't stop at a serving. Gotta try harder cuz I still have one left.

Me either. Candy of any kind is one of my "no brakes" foods. I have to be able to eat ALL the candy. I also have to eat ALL the pizza. And ALL the chips and salsa on the table at a Mexican restaurant.

In fact, with most of my eating, I have to clear my plate. However, once I've weighed out everything on my plate, I know that is ALL the food. Rarely am I tempted to go back and pick at what's left. I've also gotten really good at preparing exactly the right amount of food for the family for dinner, so there's not a lot left to pick at.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options

I have almost always conquered breakfast and lunch but at dinnertime I still fail myself too often (yesterday was McDonalds) so that has to be next. One step at a time..

My slow cooker saves my *kitten* for dinner. Chili, soups, stews, etc. I can meal plan the heck out of breakfast and lunch, but dinner I am much looser with since I'm cooking for the whole family. I've gotten very good at knowing exactly what I can order at a variety of fast food and fast casual establishments. My husband has to be gluten free, so that actually helps limit the fast food choices (for example, McDonalds is a no-go, so the temptation of a Big Mac just doesn't exist).
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

My slow cooker saves my *kitten* for dinner. Chili, soups, stews, etc. I can meal plan the heck out of breakfast and lunch, but dinner I am much looser with since I'm cooking for the whole family. I've gotten very good at knowing exactly what I can order at a variety of fast food and fast casual establishments. My husband has to be gluten free, so that actually helps limit the fast food choices (for example, McDonalds is a no-go, so the temptation of a Big Mac just doesn't exist).

I know all the gf fast food. Yay celiac disease! (But boy do I miss McDonads french fries the most)
  • Elise4270
    Options

Yay! Salad for lunch!

o9n5nyamunwk.jpg
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I made some "rice porridge" yesterday with some leftover rice and it's all I want to eat. I had it for breakfast AND lunch, and even on a rest day I'm trying to figure out how I can exercise some more to have just a little more of it.
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom I need to Google "rice porridge". Sounds good though. Reminds me of rice for breakfast as a kid, with milk, butter and a bit of sugar.
    I had cheesecake for dinner. *Sigh* I really had motivation to get on the TM today, then by time I got home I was like "nah". That's fine... I did decide to take a running break to see if I'd get some pain under control. I just need to not eat like a ding dong.

My bank card number was stolen from Groupon, so I haven't been grocery shopping or planned meals. I'm just eating what's available. I'm so dumb for not planning. :grimace: Bet tomorrow I'll make a nice curry soup after a half day at work and a haircut. Maybe I'll make that short (TM) run.
  • shanaber
    Options
    I haven't even been to the grocery store since we got home Monday night. I hate grocery shopping and meal planning but I know I need to go. Tuesday night we went out to a nice restaurant for my birthday and yesterday afternoon we went to the car show in LA so we ended up with a very late dinner once we got home through all of the traffic. Panera salads were perfect and lately that has been my go to especially when I don't feel like cooking. I don't really do fast food (other than Panera) unless there are no other options. I don't like the way I feel after I eat it or the next day. I love an In-n-Out burger and fries but I am usually not happy after I eat it.

@fitoverfortymom - Congratulations on the Big Scale Win!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber Happy birthday and I love Panera! We don't have one here. :disappointed:
  • shanaber
    Options
    @elise4270 - I just saw that your credit card was stolen! That sucks - is Groupon doing anything to help? It amazes me how often we have problems with ours. CitiBank has been great with it though. The most recent was someone using our card to buy airline tickets from Charlotte to LA through Atlanta. It was very similar to my trip to VA for work and my husband thought I had messed up and used our card for the tickets. I am hoping they were able to catch the person since they would have had to use a name for the tickets with a matching ID when they got to the airport.
    I still haven't been to the grocery store. Tonight for sure and Costco tomorrow... my list is getting longer and longer.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    It would be easier to do this thing if things made sense.

The last two nights I've raided the pantry for fist fulls of cereal. The freezer for Kemps Limited Edition Cinnamon ice cream. The fridge for various beers. Somehow my weight dropped from 213 to 211. No I know that daily swings are expected, but it'd be easier if I saw direct correlation.

Another problem I have is the the MFP/Garmin interface for steps. I don't know if I should blame Garmin or MFP, but there is NO rhyme or reason to the calorie credit I get for steps.

Wednesday I had 5300 steps and got a -750 calorie adjustment on MFP I have about 8 or 9 days with negative adjustments.
    A day last week I had 4200 steps and got a +150 calorie adjustment.

I think I'm going to ignore step adjustments and manually figure out my running adjustments. I had trouble with my Fitbits always breaking but at least the calorie adjustment was accurate.
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2017
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @elise4270 - I just saw that your credit card was stolen! That sucks - is Groupon doing anything to help? It amazes me how often we have problems with ours. CitiBank has been great with it though. The most recent was someone using our card to buy airline tickets from Charlotte to LA through Atlanta. It was very similar to my trip to VA for work and my husband thought I had messed up and used our card for the tickets. I am hoping they were able to catch the person since they would have had to use a name for the tickets with a matching ID when they got to the airport.
    I still haven't been to the grocery store. Tonight for sure and Costco tomorrow... my list is getting longer and longer.

The last purchase I made using my card was on Groupon to buy my Fenix before it was somehow compromised. I am assuming it had to be Groupon since I actually got an email saying "thanks for your order" . I can't get in my Groupon account now, it says I can't use that email from outside of the states. Wha? I need to find a away in to delete a second card on the account, but it's probably been stolen too by now. I should probably let DH know since it's his cc. Oops.

I've been very careful with this card, even using more cash to limit the possibility. So frustrating when it still happens. Glad you caught the transactions! Stay away from Groupon, or any online purchases. :rage:

I went to the park to run and just couldn't do it. I walked to the trunk to get shorts and my shoes and just:
    "nope, I dun wanna".
    Huh? I wanna run.
    "Nope".
    uh yes I do....
    "Nope. You feel that hip ache? You wanna tear a tendon or muscle? You CANT wait til Wednesday to talk to the doc?"
    Fine.

I'm mental. I literally do not know what I want. I got my hair did today. Permed. Well it's not what I wanted. To curly, I wanted waves... Or did I? Perms usually fall out anyhow the first attempt. So... I'll do curly fro for now. DD says it's "not bad".

Welcome to menopause?