Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @shanaber that is so interesting. Thanks for sharing and being so specific with how you are eating around exercise. May I ask how long you have been eating at the higher calories and how much you have left to lose?

I have such a hard time eating less than 1500 or 1600 calories and I seem to be maintaining, which seems crazy. According to the online calculators, my maintenance should be around 2300 to 2400. But I want to lose another 30 to 40 pounds (currently at 185 at 5'7.5"). I almost always work out (run or strength) fasted and was just starting to experiment with eating beforehand.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Oooh @shanaber! Sounds like you are making some great progress! And to be able to eat a healthy amount of calories! So jealous!!!

I'm so lazy. I need to address that before I add calories.

We'd be lucky if you'd share a recipe!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber I wonder if your nutritionist would hop on here and help us all out :wink:
    Otherwise, your gonna hafta coach all of us!!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Ha @Elise4270 - If she could make a living with it here I am sure she would :smiley: I must say having all the info logged was a big help for her. She went over several months of my diary, the summary mostly and then the details and when I go in to see her she likes to look it over and see how I have been doing and gives pointers on where she thinks I could do better... like more protein at lunch and more veggies and carbs at dinner.

@RunRachelRunnn - I was at maintenance for about 2 years and then started gaining. I kept eating less and running 100 miles/mo and still gaining. My daughter and trainer both told me I needed to eat more and not less as did my doctor, sort of in an around about manner. It wasn't until I started having serious issues running that I really got tried to figure out what was wrong. The cardiologist ruled out any issues as did my GP who really only offered an opinion that maybe I was hypoglycemic and needed to eat right before I ran and to make sure I was eating 'enough'. At that point my daughter gave me a referral to the nutritionist. By then I was up 15lbs and that was at the end of May. I initially gained 4-5 more lbs with the higher calories but by the 2nd week in June my profile had started to change with drops in visceral fat and then increases in muscle and reductions in fat. I have lost the initial 4-5lbs and have maintained the gains in muscle. So I still have the 15lbs to lose but honestly I feel SO much better and seeing the fat % going down is much more important to me than the number on the scale. That and fitting nicely in the dress for my daughter's wedding last weekend! I was panicked it wasn't going to fit any longer!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Really interesting @shanaber.

I'm definitely one for full fat (love some butter, but then my housemate is French so what do you expect?!) And tend to go for protein and non-starchy veg to fill me, but only really do carbs at breakfast.

I DO think people can react differently to grain-heavy versus protein heavy diets. I'm a tons of veg girl, but I also notice if my carbs are low.

I have been reading lately that we should be focusing more on fibre to fill/satisfy, and so rather than up fats we maybe should go more with fibre.

Not sure how my bathroom would cope with that.....
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I am sooo bad about keeping up with this thread. LOL.
    @shanaber, this is something that my hubby is having an issue with. Really eating enough. He is a big dude and yes needs to lose weight, but 1300 cals is not going to cut it for a 6'1" guy. He doesn't eat any carbs due to being diabetic and it works for him, but he needs to eat more so it doesn't cause other issues.

@Elise4270 thank you so much for the book. We have already tried out the superhero muffins and a sweet potato thing. I know, I can't remember exactly off the top of my head.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @seanevan10 Your welcome! I so glad you can get some use out of it.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Mmm.. this looks good sans pasta!

3w8orwpn59hs.jpg
  • shanaber
    Options
    @Elise4270 -- I am not a fan of eggplant. I wonder if there is something else I could use instead? Have you tried spaghetti squash? I really like it but my husband wants 'real' spaghetti noodles... :smirk:
  • shanaber
    Options
    Here is the protein bar recipe. I made a few changes (less honey, less oil and no add ins). I also just mixed a few mini-chocolate chips in with the bar ingredients before I spread them in the pan. I really didn't want the mess of the chocolate on the top and honestly they don't really need the chocolate.

5ocjhkvv2nmf.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Oh those sound good! I have everything but coconut oil. I am pretty sure mine is bad since its like 5 years old :D
  • tomaattikastike
    tomaattikastike Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread pretty much sums me up :)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I think we should all have pers
    The title of this thread pretty much sums me up :)

Misery love company! Lol!
  • Elise4270
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Anyone have any NSV's?

I sure don't. Been lacking on my willpower and am up 3+ pounds. I am hoping most of that is water/glycogen.

Actually I ate a salad today. That's an NSV. :blush:
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I am meeting with trainer tomorrow to discuss his definition of "cardio" programming. Weight lifting makes me hungry. I am not running frequently or far enough for hungry to work. Scale is showing it. Something needs to change.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Anyone have any NSV's?

I sure don't. Been lacking on my willpower and am up 3+ pounds. I am hoping most of that is water/glycogen.

Actually I ate a salad today. That's an NSV. :blush:

I nailed my diet this week, even eating back exercise calories pretty generously, still lost .5 (which is my weekly goal). I've been eating a Pure Protein bar after my runs and then holding out on breakfast as long as I can (between 10am and 11am), then it's easier to bridge the gap to lunch.
  • Elise4270
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom nice!

My libra app says that if I don't reign it in, I'll gain 78 pounds over the next 12 months. I gotta get back on track. :flushed:
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ummm... my weights trainer keeps asking if I want to add nutrition programming.... I haven't decided if this means he needs a guinea pig... or if I'm looking even fluffier than I thought I was. Hoping for the former, betting on the latter, not sure I want to ask and actually know the answer.

I do at least seem to be dropping back out of the 180s, so I'm more on track than I was, but still significantly up from when my running got cut off. Boyfriend has a travel schedule that looks like mine used to, so maybe there will be fewer date night meals coming up, which although sad, does make it more likely for me to be a good kid.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    so anyway, I wanted somewhere to put this out into the world and this thread seems the most appropriate!!!

last night I successfully added eggs to a warm liquid recipe and THEY DIDN'T CURDLE!!!

After a roast chicken on Sunday I stuck the carcass in a slow cooker to make stock, then made a greek lemon chicken soup with it from my Soup for Everyday recipe book.

a couple of poached chicken breasts, 2 litres of chicken stock, 125grams of long grain rice, then add a couple of lemons, then three beaten eggs slowly mixed in.

I think I might have gone very slightly overboard on the lemon, but actually it tasted deliciously fresh, and probably didn't also need the hunk of bread with it.

more for lunch today so will see how it fares when reheated.

Definitely turned into soup season here - anyone else have any great soup recipes?

• Elise4270
    Options
    @girlinahat that sounds good! I don't think you can get too much lemon on anything :wink:

@RunRachelleRun shared a mulligatawny recipe with me this week. It's probably our new favorite soup. I tweeted it a bit with rice, quinoa, cinnamon and coconut milk. Was super.