Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    I need this.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    The low carb waffle recipe in this thread is awesome: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40725467. I'm not low carb on purpose, these just happen to be low carb.

I used agave instead of the other sweetener because that's what I have on hand, and I add 1/2 tsp cinnamon to tone down the coconut/egg taste a bit.

What I love: TWO HUGE WAFFLES
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2017
    Let's see if this works
    Kashi hits those cals.

k66xd9kr2tw3.jpg

@fitoverfortymom I made the assumption that these are the ones???

I love waffles! Not maple syrup though... Just lots of butter! Mmm!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    ugh.

Saturday I hosted a cocktails and canapes party. The cocktails I drank came in all different colours with varying dubious ratios of alcohol. So yesterday I compounded everything with a box of chocolate biscuits, pringles and plenty of bread.

feel like I should just eat veggies and fruit today, and for the rest of the week.
  • Elise4270
    @girlinahat I know that feeling. I usually turn to a soup diet for most of my meals that week.

I like meat, but am currently in another swing of wanting it out my diet.

Anyone have any ideas how to still keep a high protein diet and cut meat? I like fish fine, I could do more fish but finding an affordable healthy fish is difficult. (I can't do soy, nuts or milk- the traditional protein replacements)

How about Thanksgiving/Christmas meals? Anyone have some healthy favorites? I threw cranberries, jalapenos, pecans, and bacon in to a cornbread stuffing last year, it went over well.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    I just read The Endurance Diet by Matt FItzgerald. It has confirmed my suspicion that counting calories for the last three years has led to a deterioration in my diet quality. So, I've started allowing myself to eat whenever I'm hungry, as long as it's healthy. I'm feeling a lot more energetic and I haven't gained any weight. I may even have lost a little, but it's too soon to tell since my weight fluctuates so much.

Elise, it is so hard to cut out meat when you are limited with other protein sources. I have a legume and egg allergy, but if you are good with legumes (peas, chickpeas, lentils) and eggs, those are both good sources.

Elise, did you say that you had one of those Garmin scales? How did the body fat it gives compare to your DEXA scan (or bodpod - sorry, I can't remember which you had done)? It's my birthday in a bit, and I was thinking of buying myself one (I mean, asking for one lol).
  • Elise4270
    @RunRachelleRun Wow! I love the new profile pic!!!
    I can't do chickpeas they are a migraine trigger. I'll probably just work on adding more real foods, veggies.

My Garmin says my bf is 20%, while the dexa was 32. Eek! No where close.

I read Fitzgerald's racing weight. He touts the same principal, head hungry or stomach hungry, and eatting healthy when you are hungry. No cookies as a meal :smiley: I have a hard time letting my calories go above the desperate line of loss and embracing the healthy balance a runner needs... Of course now that I'm not running I've fallen back in to the "you don't deserve any food" hahaha!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Thanks! Hubby took this photo last weekend when I was annoyed while waiting for him. It was a hit on Facebook, so thought I’d use it here too. It makes me laugh every time I see it. I need to work on my patience.

I read racing weight and this was similar, but I got more out of this book for some reason. No cookie meal? He dropped such pronouncements in this book, thank goodness. In fact, he said chocolate that is 80% and under 100 calories doesn’t even need to be counted. I am testing that one with 70% because that’s close enough imo.

Yikes, you have some food troubles too. They are no fun. Sorry to hear it!

Thanks for the info on the Garmin scale. That’s exactly what I was afraid of. So glad I asked. If it got it wrong higher, that might be motivating, but way lower and I may just settle.
  • Elise4270
    Ya I remember the chocolate! Alas, it's also a migraine trigger.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Hmmm. Sounds like I might need to download one of those books.

This past couple of weeks I’m not so worried about going over. I’ve done five CrossFit workouts so far and I figure I need to eat at maintenance whilst I’m getting used to it. That or just be collapsed in a heap.

I’m always in favour of a meal not a cookie. I learnt a while back that I can always wait a bit longer for a meal, and that if I have three good full meals a day I feel more satisfied than if I just graze. I guess I was always brought up on strict mealtimes (although I’m British, and we did afternoon tea in my house as a kid).

I also grew up in a very poor household so all meals were home cooked and each fortnight menu was planned and shopped for with the social/UB40/dole/welfare whatever you want to call it. We didn’t eat out, and the only time we had crisps (potato chips) was in my packed lunch on a School field trip.

I’m very very thankful that I didn’t grow up on McDonald’s or similar and that my tastebuds are towards fresh veggies and fruit not fried food. My downfall are biscuits. And crumpets. Slathered in melty butter. You can keep your donuts.

@Elise4270 - I know you say chickpeas are a migraine trigger but what about other legumes? Persian food/recipes are great for full flavoured non-meat dishes.
  • Elise4270
    @girlinahat I'm not sure bout other legumes.. I think lentils are probably the only other one I eat, and not very often. Black beans kill my stomach. I can do pintos and kidney beans fine though. Definitely not peanuts.

I did my DNA and I'm 89% English and Welsh, 8% east European, 2.3% Ashkenazi Jew. We could be long lost cousins. I love tea, crisps, biscuits :smiley: but who doesn't?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,488 Member
    I'm going to try to frequent this thread more often.

I do so good for breakfast and lunch, then evening comes and I have a hard time not eating and eating and eating. I think my problem is that I log everything during the day, come home, log my dinner, then I have so many calories left to eat. Instead of logging the rest of the night I figure, hey, I have some calories left I eat this....and this...and this..

Really the biggest evil in our house is cereal. To much temptation to grab a box and scarf it down.

I have new plan that seems kind of backwards but it might work. I think on days I run, I'm NOT going to log my food. I think by doing this I'll eat when I'm hungry (making good choices, hopefully) and not eating because I have a calorie budget left. It worked last night, I think.

Really I just need to get back the discipline I had when I first start this weight loss. I guess back then, being 60 pounds overweight gave me more incentive. Now I'm just 13 pounds over, look a lot better, and therefore have less motivation.

• Elise4270
    @7lenny7 I like the idea of not logging calories on run days, So Matt Fitzgerald-ish.. :smiley:

Lately I haven't been in the position of having any free calories, but I can understand how seeing that you have xxxx calories to eat, will allow you to eat them all and then maybe some more.

I set my calorie goal 300 from where I should stop eating because I know I need to see red before I put the snacks down.

Good luck on that 13 pounds! I know you can do it.
  • 7lenny7
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 I like the idea of not logging calories on run days, So Matt Fitzgerald-ish.. :smiley:
    wow, and I haven't even read any Fitzgerald!

Good luck on that 13 pounds! I know you can do it.
    Thanks! 18 months ago it was only 6 more pounds....sigh...I had an impressive steady decline from 260 to 206, then it's been a roller coaster between 218 on the high side, 210 on the low side. I have to wonder if some of that is because I'm running far more than when I was just 6 pounds away from GW.

• Elise4270
    edited November 2017
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    wow, and I haven't even read any Fitzgerald!

Haha! Sounds like morphic resonance!
    Thanks! 18 months ago it was only 6 more pounds....sigh...I had an impressive steady decline from 260 to 206, then it's been a roller coaster between 218 on the high side, 210 on the low side. I have to wonder if some of that is because I'm running far more than when I was just 6 pounds away from GW.

I know what you mean. I had no problem dropping about 8 pounds on a predictable slope. Now I can't seem to find my grove or keep a spoon out of the ice cream. I'm just trying to hanging in there, waiting for the pool to open.

I do gain a few pounds when I get my weekly miles above 10-15. I just figured it was inflammation, hydration, glycogen.... Donuts. If I cut calories back too far, I don't sleep well. There's something about going to bed fed.

You're definitely an inspiration to so many of us. So nice to have shared your progress pics. :wink:
  • 7lenny7
    Ok, the gluttony of Thanksgiving is over and I'm ready to get back to business! Too many times I wander through the kitchen at night and grab something to eat out of habit, or boredom or craving, or some other lame *kitten* reason. I keep telling myself, 'eh....this isn't much, I'll stick to my calorie budget tomorrow. Then the cycle repeats and I get pissed at myself.

Tonight I'm not going to consider this a long-term issue. It's a one night issue. Tonight when I get home I will not exceed my calories. Instead of thinking I'll be good tomorrow, I'll think, maybe tomorrow I'll go over, but tonight I won't!

Fingers crossed
  • 7lenny7
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I read Fitzgerald's racing weight. He touts the same principal, head hungry or stomach hungry, and eatting healthy when you are hungry.

This is a key litmus test. I need to think about this every time I walk into the kitchen.

• fitoverfortymom
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Really I just need to get back the discipline I had when I first start this weight loss. I guess back then, being 60 pounds overweight gave me more incentive. Now I'm just 13 pounds over, look a lot better, and therefore have less motivation.

This is me. I'm just shy of losing 100lbs and have about 10 more to go. I've been SUPER lazy about it. Not gaining, but certainly stuck maintaining, despite running eight bazillion miles every morning (NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT RUNGER!).

After the HM in 10 days, I'm backing off the training-style running schedule, starting some disciplined weight training, and switching my calories up closer to maintenance. I don't have a huge deficit as it is, but I want to see how I can get my body to change with the strength work and help avoid some running injuries. Then in the spring/summer, I'm gonna hit the trails hella hard and do some racing. :)

• fitoverfortymom
    I need to read that book...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    A FB friend tagged me with this link on Olympic runners and weight. While the article uses a chart with skinfold caliper measurments, the concept is the same: You can't stay at optimal racing weight all the time.

Still wrestling with how that applies to a 61 year old marginally national class (age graded) male runner as opposed to a young, world class female runner.