Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I would guess it's probably the carbs and water weight. Routine. I need to get back into that as well.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I can see gaining a bit with a cold. Inflammation? And your body's trying to fight a virus.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ugh.... forget Runner’s who need nutritional accountability, my nutritional accountability needs some running.....

I am up 13 lbs or so from my Lowest point since this running ban was first issued in its loosest form.

If there was any doubt that balancy exercises and no running were NOT solving this issue.... trainer went a bit heavier than usual tonight on the 1 legged work (both heavier volume, and weight)... and it went terribly badly... split squats, I hate them worse than burpees, I swear... apparently take more effort than even I thought they did.... trainer asked me a question... and the microsecond of concentration it took to process the question (not even answer it) resulted in me on the floor.... not to mention how tight my back gets on that side from trying to compensate when we are doing one legged stuff.... ugh

On the bright side, I think At least a bit of that 13 lbs might be muscle lol

Now to just stop eating all the foods. Because I doubt doc on Tuesday will just wave a magic wand or anything.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @hanlonsk I hope most of the 13 pounds is muscle. Do you have measurements you can compare too?

I'm up 6 pounds from my lowest running weight. I have no hope that it's muscle since I haven't been working out.

I'm still waiting on the pool to open. I'm allowed to run not more than 3k....

How much longer do you have on the running ban?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I'm thinking about asking DH to make chili today. Chili meat is hard to find, the course ground.

Anyone have and substitute? I thought the stew meat would be good, but DH balked last time I suggested it. Maybe I can get him to reconsider.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Today's race was a reminder in how much better I run when I eat healthier. *sigh* I gotta buckle down.

@Elise4270 We always just used ground beef for chili. Is it supposed to be something different? LOL
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso We've always used the course ground beef. Regular ground beef is okay, but I think the course ground adds texture.
    We found some. I tried to talk him into adding polish kelbasa, it was a no sale.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I am down a pound since I last weighed 3 weeks ago. Taking that as a victory.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk - I understand that gain... I had it too when I couldn't run and I still haven't dropped it.
    @Elise4270 - we use ground turkey and I add left over cooked chicken to my chili. Adding some kielbasa sounds wonderful though. Will definitely consider that next time we make it,

So I made it through the HM. Ate ok before but not enough. Had my usual protein bar and oatmeal but could only finish half the oatmeal. I had all of my normal mid-race fuel and should have used it starting about mile 2-3 like I normally do. I didn't feel like my stomach could tolerate it so I held off and didn't have anything until around mile 6. By then I was feeling sluggish and was getting a headache and an upset stomach so I decided I had to have something. I had a bite of PB Perfect bar which helped and then a (1) Shot Blok around mile 9. I did drink lots of water because I was just so thirsty but didn't need to stop for the porta potties even after the race. I guess that means I was sweating a lot. The weather was really great, in the 40s to start and warmed into the low 60's, if even that, at the end. It was mostly overcast and we even got a few sprinkles of rain which surprised everyone because it was so totally unexpected. I also couldn't eat much afterwards, a banana and a KIND bar and that was it. I drove home and then we went out to dinner and I felt like I could eat everything, which I pretty much did. Looking at my race supplies this morning made realize how poorly I fueled before, during and after. I am amazed that I finished as well as I did even though it was almost 30 minutes over my best time on that course.

Also last night and this morning I feel terrible, hit by a bus terrible... everything hurts. My daughter says it is because I didn't eat after the race. I don't know but for sure I have never felt like this after a HM. I usually go for a recovery run the next day and there is no way I could today. I even canceled on taking Hobbes the Vizsla to an agility trial this morning because I knew I couldn't run or get up early enough to go...
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 I actually looked up my weight for the last set of measurements I had. Which was at about 10 lbs lighter. No measurements went down, some stayed the same, but the ones that are up (like waist) are only up at most 1 inch, which isn’t bad for 10-15 lbs. I know they went down more than that from this weight to that weight. I need to try some new pictures too, but that means I need to be at my own house for a change.

However, on the bright side-I hadn’t expressed any of my “I am getting/feeling fat” to the boyfriend- so this was a completely unprovoked/unprompted comment. But this morning I got “wow, you have put on an impressive amount of muscle mass lately!!” And the overreacting girl in me had to pause for a moment and not react in the “did my boyfriend just call me fat?” Sort of way. I did have to make sure it wasn’t just a “god your getting big” sort of thing, and he was like “no, your muscle tone, and definition has changed ALOT in the last month or so.” Soooooo maybe at least a portion of this is “good” weight.
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @hanlonsk Nice gain! I can't seem to motivate myself to go to the gym. More muscle, better metabolism!

@shanaber Congratulations on finishing the race. I hope you feel better soon. I'm sure Hobbs the Vizsla understands. I dated a guy that made deer chili with the kelbasa.itcwas really good. DH still says "no".

@amymoreorless I am down a pound this morning, but we'll see where I am tomorrow before I celebrate that scootch downwards.

Home from church and Walmart. We have chili left over so I thought why not get some Fritos. Our shopping cart was nothing but junk. Bread, 4 bags of chips- 3 tater, dip, pretzel chips, ice cream, 1 pound of lunch meat, 2 pastries, coffee, and cat food.... I was embarrassed walking around with that cart.

As soon as we got home DH got coffee and cut some custard bread thing. He tried to give me a bite, "it's really good mmm". I replied "Nope nope nope nope. I am a sugar addict. If I have one bite I'm going to eat it all". Hm? Really? I said that?

DH is a recovering addict. Did I say that just so he'd understand, I can't have one bite? Or am I REALLY a sugar addict? Oh come on, we all are, right?. Sugar hits receptors and we all love sugar. That's why it's a billion dollar industry..

Lesson. I'm treating sugar as if it's an addiction. I know I can't stop at one. Score one for me! I can do this if I can resist one.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Terrible food day yesterday, bad this morning before reeling it in. Up between 4 and 5 pounds since I got injured; the holidays are a lot more forgiving of excess when I can run. Oh, well. Just have to get back on the wagon.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I made gf chicken and waffles with sriracha syrup tonight. I didn't go nuts with syrup like I normally do so it's another small win!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I did ok most of the day. But gave in to the pepperoncini tater chips... I should kick my own *kitten*, laying around eatting chips when I can be active. I did eat some vanilla brioche too.. the scale won't be down tomorrow. Keepin' it honest.

Tomorrow I'm gonna wake up at 5 and think about getting up and on the TM for just 1 mile. Then I'm gonna think about making a lunch so I can run another 2 at lunch. I have every intention of doing it... Tomorrow I could surprise myself and do the crap I need to do.
  • shanaber
    Options
    I got out and tried to run but wasn't very successful... unfortunately I am feeling like eating everything. I even had a doughnut hole and a small piece of a Saigon cinnamon doughnut... I don't even like doughnuts! Have to say these are unlike any doughnut I have ever had before though... Then I made grilled ham and cheese for dinner (with a salad) and finished the day with a tiny bowl of Ben and Jerrys - I had NO idea it had so many calories! Yikes!

Tomorrow morning I run and get back to normal controlled, healthy eating! I do need to get my holiday baking at least started though.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso - I have a friend who was just diagnosed with ciliacs. Do you have a GF cookbook that you would recommend?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @RunsOnEspresso - I have a friend who was just diagnosed with ciliacs. Do you have a GF cookbook that you would recommend?

I've got a few but usually I adjust regular recipes. I really like skinnytaste books but hers aren't strictly gf. She labels them though. The Lagasse girls have a good one as well that is all gf. I also have a paleo one I pull some recipes from.

There's a couple of gf magazines I subscribe to as well but found I don't really use them much anymore. They were helpful my first year or so. I keep getting one because they feature a different place to travel to and I find put places I wouldn't think of as a gf hot spot (like Philly is one of the top spots!)

Its hard but doable. For me it was a big mental adjustment and there was added depression & anxiety. And finding places I feel comfortable/safe to eat at. The wesite/app find me gluten free is great especially when traveling.

I am always happy to answer questions and talk about it. I will have my 4th anniversary in Feb/Mar.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    finally a chance to check in here and read a bit.

I've been bad lately. Not enough running, and too many mince pies. Too much food of everything, plus the odd glass of wine and cheese.....lots of cheese.

plucked up the courage to weigh myself this morning, and it was as expected, but not terrible. I need to stop thinking I can deal with excess weight by doing exercise, and deal with it by eating less.

I'm trying to buy less food too. I have a ton of stuff in the cupboard that I can cook, plenty of beans and lentils. In fact, I don't really know WHAT is at the back of the cupboard. There's some preserved lemons, but nice as they are (make a fantastic dressing with greek yoghurt and a dash of olive oil) a person can't LIVE on preserved lemons.

I'm on a recycle leftovers kick. So each day I'm taking stuff that's left and reinvent it with other ingredients. The other day I made a carrot and ginger soup, but found it a bit insipid so didn't finish it - so I cooked rice in it and made a big batch of fried rice and vegetables to which I've added fish, or hardboiled eggs or whatever for lunch. It's yummy.

I'm ill, which means I want to eat but not well. Thankfully I'm too ill to go out to a burger restaurant (every damn restaurant in this city seems to focus on burgers) so can have a quiet healthy night at home.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Hooray! I'm finally down for the first time in 12 days of upward weight! I sucked it on the scale this morning.. :-)

Now to manage the rest of the day!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @girlinahat I always eat too much cheese. My excuse is, it's protein.