Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I ignore any step calorie adjustments. I sometimes get a very small adjustment from my Garmin, but always stick to what I have set in mfp. It may calculate based on the intensity minutes. Maybe a brisk walk earns a bit, but lazy walking around work doesn't count. On my daily, it has a 2X next to something I can't find now. Something about earning a goal for so many active minutes in the week.

You're a serial cereal offender. I'd suggest finding a substitute.. sliced apples and hot cinnamon tea maybe?

Hope you figure it out! And your weight continues downward!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - I would a) contact the CC companies and cancel your cards and have them send new ones. Tell them you suspect they have been compromised so they can block them and you are not liable for any of the purchases. and b) I would contact Groupon and let them know what is happening especially if you sign on with an ID and not your email directly. c) is the problem just when you try to access from your PC or can you access from your phone?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @elise4270 - I would a) contact the CC companies and cancel your cards and have them send new ones. Tell them you suspect they have been compromised so they can block them and you are not liable for any of the purchases. and b) I would contact Groupon and let them know what is happening especially if you sign on with an ID and not your email directly. c) is the problem just when you try to access from your PC or can you access from your phone?

Ya I've done all that. It's just from my phone to sign in on Groupon. I sent a message to cancel the account due to suspicious activity and deleted all card numbers stored with them. DH checked his card, no activity thankfully.

I suspected my phone was hacked so i did a factory reset, changing my Gmail password, and removed the Groupon app and any others that had the card number stored, like subway. I hope that's all it takes.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @7lenny7 It's Intensity Minutes I was thinking of. Maybe if you look at that it'll lends insight as to how it may be calculated.

Menu, Activity Stats, intensity minutes. Mine defaults to 3 months but each week can be viewed when selected.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I know you want to run but don't want to do any additional damage. It isn't the same but would just getting outside for a walk help? You wouldn't be putting the pressure on your hip and you could just enjoy being outside and in the park?
    Also I have seen pictures of you with a perm before and it always looks cute. I am sure this time is no different! I know first hand though how you have something in mind and they do something else... Before I just let my hair be I had a perm a few times to try to control the curls (really dumb idea) and just have waves... I ended up looking like I had stuck my finger in a socket and it didn't loosen up like they said it would. I just wanted to shave my head :grimace:

I went to the store yesterday late and I hadn't eaten lunch. Not a good plan... I came home with cheese chrunchies, cranberry bars and dark chocolate covered shortbread stars. I Never buy those things, ever... I also made grilled ham and cheese sandwiches for dinner with a salad to balance it out :) I am pretty sure my husband thought he had died and gone to heaven or that someone had stolen his real wife!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber I thought about going for a walk. Without having much direction, I don't know if I should. Walking hurts, sitting hurts, sleeping hurts.... But exercise might help. Better than laying around letting my arteries clog.

I washed my hair and blew it out. :smiley: All I could think about was Anne.

I'm building the courage to make a grocery list!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp interesting article!

"They focused on the concept of “energy availability,” which involves estimating the calories required to fuel whatever training you’re doing plus meet your basic metabolic needs. During noncompetition periods, they made sure Hilary was meeting this threshold.
    To get down to competition weight—a number they settled on each year based on the accumulated experience of previous years—they took a gradual approach. They attempted to reach the goal in six to eight weeks, aiming for a daily caloric deficit of about 300 calories.
    The first tactic to achieve this caloric deficit was simple: Cut back on sweets and fat. They also periodized Hilary’s eating on a micro scale, ensuring that she was adequately fueled on hard workout days, but cutting back on snacks and carbohydrate portion sizes on easy training days.
    To avoid losing too much muscle during the weight-loss phase, they also ramped up the proportion of protein in her diet; Trent cites a goal of 2 to 2.5 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. This approach appears to have worked, as Hilary’s mid-thigh girth remained unchanged between competition and off-season measurements, despite an average 2.1 percent loss of body weight and a decreased body fat percentage from 12.9 to 10.6 percent."

Very insightful.

After losing 35 kg in 12 months down to 63 kg, I've maintained my goal weight since April 2016, apart from a 2 kg gain since then in what is almost 100% muscle gain. My BMI is 21.

I will certainly keep this information in mind if I need to take a step back from training for a while. Could need to before starting my 50km event training for the event in April, but eek, The Fears! I've been so good in logging and maintaining, gaining fat would take a lot of brain effort!

Stupid brains!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Took the club bus to Club Nationals this weekend, and didn't track food at all on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. This morning I weigh 3.6 lbs. more than I did Thursday morning, and I can't run a step. Cut my calorie allowance by another 100 calories, and I'm back to tracking discipline. I know how to take those pounds back off, but it could take a while if I can't run.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Took the club bus to Club Nationals this weekend, and didn't track food at all on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. This morning I weigh 3.6 lbs. more than I did Thursday morning, and I can't run a step. Cut my calorie allowance by another 100 calories, and I'm back to tracking discipline. I know how to take those pounds back off, but it could take a while if I can't run.

@MobyCarp I was pretty good with my eating this past weekend but yet I still saw my weight go up 4 pounds. Like you, I also came out of the weekend dinged up. I thought about it, and I think I'm going to attribute my gain mostly to the water weight of the inflammation and swelling in my knee. I know if that's possible, but that's what I'm going with. I'm down a pound and a half today from yesterday and my knee feels better.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My glory was short lived as my day before HM eating and post-HM eating were through the roof and not tracked. Gotta knock down those same 5lbs I've been battling for what seems like forever. Going to try and get consistent with my lunchtime walks that I gave up in favor of running. Looks like I'll do both for a while. I just can't bring myself to cut calories. I figure if I can maintain through Christmas, then I can take a real shot at getting to goal weight by my next race (in Feb). Goal weight was originally 150. I'd like to get closer to 145 as a racing weight. I'm bouncing between 154-158. Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with that weight AT ALL, but I know I can do better and I know I'll run better with about 10 more lbs gone.

Training and losing weight is H-A-R-D.
  • shanaber
    Options
    So I was sick yesterday, stomach bug of some kind... I feel a bit better today but not great. Better enough to try and get a short run in. My run today showed me how tired and low on fuel my body is. I have a HM on Saturday with no expectations of a PR or anything but finishing. Does anyone have any suggestions for eating between now and then. Yesterday was pretty much all carbs, nothing else sounded good or like something my stomach would tolerate. I had toast and PB for breakfast, chicken noodle soup for lunch and cream of wheat (no milk) for dinner... Definitely not enough calories. I am really cautious about eating much of anything today but know I need to get some calories on board so any suggestions would be appreciated...

Note this is the first time since I have been running that I have been sick. I am thankful it is not worse but unsure really how to handle it.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber oh sorry you're sick. You think you can do a BRAT diet? Keep it bland? Oatmeal, peanut butter, apple sauce kinda stuff?

Mmm PB...
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @shanaber sorry to hear about your stomach bug. NOT FUN! Could you handle something like Gatorade to get carbs & electrolytes? If you could get some Tailwind you'd have carbs without the sickly sweet of most sports drink.
    My other suggestion is to eat small amount, but as frequently as tolerated. I think the foods you're eating now would be enough, but I'm not an expert in that.

My last two nights have been disasters as far as self control. Surprisingly my weight has dropped down to 212 from 215 from Monday morning, making me think I was right about the cause of 4 pound jump over the weekend.

Tonight. Tonight I'll be good.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid to step on the scale. I confessed to my cookie binge in the thread but didn't mention the peppermint ice cream I had the night before plus all of the cookies I had at work earlier.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Been really good with control Monday through today. Result, this morning I'm down 1.8 of the 3.6 pounds I gained over the weekend. Aside from the fact that I ran a 5K moderately hard on Saturday, it wasn't a very active weekend; it's believable that I could have eaten enough more calories than I burned to put on a pound of fat. And I went into the weekend above the midpoint of my maintenance range.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Today I feel about as good as I did last Friday. I really need to break the cycle of feeling good, running, and then being unable to run. But in the mean time, I need to eat like I'm not running.
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Can we blame the cold weather? Maybe were just fighting ancient survival genes.

*Sigh* every day I eat more than the last. My scale is up 6 pounds....

@RunsOnEspresso When my kids were young, we ate only with chop sticks. IDK what happened to all my spoons. Some how all of them ended up in the yard. So there was no ice cream eatting.

Maybe i should try a chop stick diet.

zp2ni1dsbmtv.jpg
    My cats not concerned about all the calorie counting. She does like cheesecake, so she could be bias.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @Elise4270 hmmmm maybe I should toss all utensils. I'm sure the hubby wouldn't mind. :D

I am trying to at least track everything and failing there too. I was sooooo good years ago. I could eat a serving size of cookies or ice cream. I lost all the weight I wanted. I worked out consistently. I need to be that person again.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso I've never been able to stop at a serving of sweets. We never had them as kids, maybe that why I eat all of it. Or maybe I'm a food addict.

DH bought mini cookies. He ate 2. He caught me with two and asked how many I had, "ump sweven, und ate" He said why can't you just have two? Haha!

Todays a new day... We can conquer this.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I do better when the husband is home. Its when he works late and I can eat without him knowing. I mean I know he knows but he can't see me do it, so its like I didnt really eat it! Brains are weird.

I did pretty well yesterday. Today will be good too. I will take this one day at a time.
  • shanaber
    Options
    So I am the only person in the world who gets sick and gains weight! WTH!! Got on the scale yesterday and was up 2 pounds. Not sure how that happens... maybe the carbs I did eat are holding onto water... I dunno. I also ate without tracking all the weeks I was in Montreal and did fine and maintained my weight. I have been so focused on getting back to routine and trying to be ready for my HM that I haven't been looking at the details; I need to get my calories back up and eat more protein. I will start that on Sunday after the race and when I know I will be all recovered and not just 'feeling a bit better'.