Days Binge Free: 103
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    hillmike56 wrote: »
    Me: 16
    B: 1
    DBF: 0

31 days was not enough for me to build a strong habit. My saying for the Today "It's always too early to quit". And the quote that had gotten me through the previous 2 Thursdays is still true for me. I must choose one of two pains: The Pain of Discipline or The Pain of Regret. Overeating, too much alcohol and that pain of failure I assure you all add up to more pain on the Regret side this morning than if I could have held to the Pain of Discipline Thrusday night. You guys with with those great streaks keep remembering that or give me some better ones that are working for you and I'll begin again today trying to find the right formula for this change. Just feel like I'm so close to nailing this bad habit in its coffin.

@hillmike56 ,

Sorry to read "the binge" was able to sneak past your efforts this time but now you'll be even more determined to knock it down when it tries to rise up again.

Back in March of this year, I had to give up alcohol--I really liked wine (Cream of Peach & Elderberry) but they really messed with my blood sugars & more often than not would trigger a binge episode for me & at some point it just wasn't worth it anymore. Now after all this time, I really haven't missed it and haven't thought about how long it's been since I've had any alcohol until I read your post.
  • PetitClapotis
    PetitClapotis Posts: 92 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @BarneyRubbleMD
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience and all this detailed information and advice ! I appreciate it <3 and I'm so glad for your progress.
    I have no problem going long time without food as I've been practicing intermittent fasting for my whole life. I never had dinner growing up, neither do my parents. When I was a kid I use to go hiking fasted with my parents in the early morning for about two hours everyday then we would have a big breakfast and lunch. Our lunch was so good and hearty that we didn't even need dinner and I never felt deprived. My grandpa, who has been living this way for his whole life, is now in his late nineties and still in perfect health. So I'm pretty used to going long time between meals. Both my husband and I skip breakfast and have no problem with hunger or blood sugar or whatsoever. Actually I'm more productive and energetic this way. Sometimes I do prolonged water fasting for a week or so, never have any cravings or extreme hunger. And hunger doesn't trigger binge in my case. It's weird that I never binge during or after a prolonged water fast but I binge after just a few days trying to stay my maintenance that MFP gave me. And I never had any cravings or binge or problem with keeping my caloric intake within my allowance last year when I was on keto(I love butter, coconut oil, nuts, eggs and fatty cuts of meat !! ). I guess my insulin and blood sugar was in control and my hormones were in a happy place then. Unfortunately when I got off keto this year, I start to have binge episodes quite often just like years ago when I tried to lose weight by starving myself and doing tons of cardio. I didn't even know what a calories was back then so I really have no idea how much I was eating. By the way I never binge on pizza or cupcakes or sweets, I would go for nut butter or tortilla chips every time.
    About my workout, I'm not doing as much as I did last year as I try not to stress my body too much, got to keep my cortisol level in control. I feel like I've gained a tiny bit of muscle and toned up a bit due to the strength training but I wouldn't consider myself 'stronger' or 'more muscular' than any regular girl of my height. So it would be a nice surprise to know MFP has underestimated my caloric need and I can actually eat more :p I'll try to post my physique once I figure out how to insert pictures in my post/reply.
  • hillmike56
    hillmike56 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Me: 17
    DBF: 1

You new guys are really good writers. Welcome to the group, don't have time to read them all this morning but would like to circle back later with focus. Thanks for the encouragement by the way @PetitClapotis and @BarneyRubbleMD I feel back on track after my one day derailing.
  • hillmike56
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Me: 18
    DBF: 2

Finally read @PetitClapotis & @BarneyRubbleMD conversations and it sounds like you two are on different sides of the journey maybe missing something in my interpretation. I do believe and understand adding calories to totals if in starvation mode constantly. Had that issue when trying to loose weight too fast in the beginning of my journey. I believe the same thing as I head to maintenance mode I will need find the right math to keep it in this magic range I want to maintain. I love a new feature I discovered where you can set totals for days of the week. That's the calculation I'm trying to work out for special social events and weekends to keep the BINGE in check and out of my life.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Me: 15
    The B: 3

I'm back! I had a week of 12-hour classes, so I wasn't logging on much here, but I didn't binge at all! In fact, there were a few times I couldn't even finish my meals, which is an awesome feeling! I missed you all. Happy to be back :)

• BarneyRubbleMD
    edited August 2017
    Options
    DBF: 2

Finally read @PetitClapotis & @BarneyRubbleMD conversations and it sounds like you two are on different sides of the journey maybe missing something in my interpretation. I do believe and understand adding calories to totals if in starvation mode constantly. Had that issue when trying to loose weight too fast in the beginning of my journey. I believe the same thing as I head to maintenance mode I will need find the right math to keep it in this magic range I want to maintain. I love a new feature I discovered where you can set totals for days of the week. That's the calculation I'm trying to work out for special social events and weekends to keep the BINGE in check and out of my life.

@hillmike56 ,

This is true--I still have a long way to go. The thing to remember is, the MFP calories/day calculations are really just estimates--some people may actually need less calories/day and some people may actually need more calories/day than those estimates provide, so, it's best for each individual to tweak those #'s as they go along to find the best calories/day # to match their goal. When I started MFP, it recommended 1600 calories/day for a 2 lbs/wk loss for me but I couldn't stick to that for long and would end up on a binge. It turns out, a better calories/day # for me for a 2 lbs/wk weight loss seems to be about 2200, which is about 35 % higher than MFP recommends. I'm still "tweaking" this calories/day # as I go along by monitoring my weight loss since it might change when I begin to include some weight lifting & cardio stuff for exercise. If I had stuck with what MFP had recommended for me for my diet, I'd still be binging on occasion (probably once or twice a week) & wouldn't have lost 82 lbs (just over half way to my goal weight) and would have likely binged my way back up to where I started.

I'll be curious to see how you get your calculations worked out for that feature of separate calories on each day of the week (I think that's only a feature of the Premium version of MFP?) but it sounds like it would be handy in maintenance, especially for a weekend where getting together socially presents more food opportunities for going overboard.
  • PetitClapotis
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    Me: 15

I'm back! I had a week of 12-hour classes, so I wasn't logging on much here, but I didn't binge at all! In fact, there were a few times I couldn't even finish my meals, which is an awesome feeling! I missed you all. Happy to be back :)

Welcome back !!
  • hillmike56
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Me: 19
    DBF: 3

@BarneyRubbleMD Yes your right it is a Premium features "Set Custom Daily Goals". I think I went that route to get rid of the ads but there are some other nice features.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options

31 days was not enough for me to build a strong habit. My saying for the Today "It's always too early to quit". And the quote that had gotten me through the previous 2 Thursdays is still true for me. I must choose one of two pains: The Pain of Discipline or The Pain of Regret. Overeating, too much alcohol and that pain of failure I assure you all add up to more pain on the Regret side this morning than if I could have held to the Pain of Discipline Thrusday night. You guys with with those great streaks keep remembering that or give me some better ones that are working for you and I'll begin again today trying to find the right formula for this change. Just feel like I'm so close to nailing this bad habit in its coffin.

Don't give up. Believe me, it takes a while. Also, remember people are not perfect. I had an amazing streak a couple years ago, and I ruined it. Life happens. Things get in the way. Every day is a new learning process. Just being here every day and posting your streak keeps you accountable. It's not about the numbers though we may feel that way. It's about making changes and establishing good habits. You're doing great! Take one day at a time.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    lamlam2013 wrote: »
    Aug 17

Me: 17*
    Binge: 0

DBF: 17

I again came close to caving in but stayed strong.

Is it possible that you've been undereating and not feeding your body enough so it's sending you signal to eat more?

No, definitely not. I've been eating back exercise calories. For me I think it's an emotional thing...wanting to reward myself with food, bored, tired, the usual. Also, I am horrible at keeping hydrated, though I have been working on that recently (it's easier in warm weather and being active). Sometimes when I feel hungry it's actually hydration that I need. Also, on days when I go over my MFP-established calories and haven't exercised, my tendency is to want to give up for the day and binge. Just a battle with my mind.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Aug 20

Me: 20*
    Binge: 0

DBF: 20
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lamlam2013 wrote: »

Don't give up. Believe me, it takes a while. Also, remember people are not perfect. I had an amazing streak a couple years ago, and I ruined it. Life happens. Things get in the way. Every day is a new learning process. Just being here every day and posting your streak keeps you accountable. It's not about the numbers though we may feel that way. It's about making changes and establishing good habits. You're doing great! Take one day at a time.

Excellent Post!...and a lot of good points in there to remember as we continue along this process.

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Me: 17
    B: 3
    DBF: 8
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
  • PetitClapotis
    Options
    Had an emotional meltdown today... :'(
  • hillmike56
    Options
    Me: 19
    B: 2

@lamlam2013 Thank you so much. I don't mean to whin I actually feel more in control of the BINGE now in my life than at any point that I can remember. If this BINGE battle is your orginal idea I really appreciate the board you created and the fact that it touch something in my soul that clicked for me in my weight battle. Saying this as I post a zero beside DBF. But yesterday this darkness came over our town and everyone was amazed and I joined into the party with too many calories. But like you say one day at a time.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @hillmike56 - I personally maintain that we fight so hard most of the time so that little radar blips like a celebration with friends doesn't permanently derail us... To me, those things are part of the process AND of the success long term...
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    DBF: 9

@PetitClapotis - it happens, and it's okay *hugs* I hope you're feeling a little better today!
  • PetitClapotis
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    DBF: 9

@PetitClapotis - it happens, and it's okay *hugs* I hope you're feeling a little better today!

Thank you so much!! I do feel better after having a good talk with my husband and your hugs made my day o:)