Me Vs. the Binge -- August 2017 Challenge

Options

Replies

• kowlady
    kowlady Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So last week I went a little overboard on 5 of 7 days. That sounds bad. But I'm actually quite proud of myself.

In the past I wouldn't have eaten healthy on any of those days. I would have looked at the calendar and saw that I had 3 baseball games, was meeting my daughter's boyfriend's parents for the first time and was going to a beer tasting all in the same week and I would have just given up. I'd have put off the diet and exercise till the next week. Problem is that ends up turning into the next week and then the next because I always have lots of things coming up to make excuses for why I should put off eating right.

I finally realized that it's OK to eat right on those in between event days. Oh and I don't have to eat like I'm condemned just because I have something fun going on. I'm shooting for moderation now rather than feast or famine. My binges weren't nearly as out of control as they were before. So I'm feeling pretty positive right now. Heck, I even counted calories at one of those ballgames and skipped the beer! I also exercised! And look, I'm ahead more days than not so far this month.
    Me:13
    B:8
    DBF:2
  • kowlady
    Options
    Had an emotional meltdown today... :'(

Hope you are feeling better today.

• PetitClapotis
    PetitClapotis Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    kowlady wrote: »
    So last week I went a little overboard on 5 of 7 days. That sounds bad. But I'm actually quite proud of myself.

In the past I wouldn't have eaten healthy on any of those days. I would have looked at the calendar and saw that I had 3 baseball games, was meeting my daughter's boyfriend's parents for the first time and was going to a beer tasting all in the same week and I would have just given up. I'd have put off the diet and exercise till the next week. Problem is that ends up turning into the next week and then the next because I always have lots of things coming up to make excuses for why I should put off eating right.

I finally realized that it's OK to eat right on those in between event days. Oh and I don't have to eat like I'm condemned just because I have something fun going on. I'm shooting for moderation now rather than feast or famine. My binges weren't nearly as out of control as they were before. So I'm feeling pretty positive right now. Heck, I even counted calories at one of those ballgames and skipped the beer! I also exercised! And look, I'm ahead more days than not so far this month.
    Me:13
    B:8
    DBF:2

Great job! I'm really happy for you! The 'Screw it I've already blew it today let's start over tomorrow or next Monday ' mindset is really something that we need to steer clear of.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @kowlady - That's awesome!!! It's hard to break free of those excuses our minds love to try to shove in our way, especially when it's been a habit for so long. Kudos!!!

Me: 19
    B: 3
    DBF: 10
  • hillmike56
    hillmike56 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Me: 20
    B: 2
    DBF: 1

@kowlady Yes kudos seems like your figuring out what works in your journey.
  • kowlady
    Options
    @PetitClapotis, @Moxie42, @hillmike56
    Thanks! It's encouraging.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Me: 18
    The B: 3

@PetitClapotis: so sorry about your meltdown, but you know we are here to support you!
  • Moxie42
    Options
    DBF: 11
  • hillmike56
    Options
    Me: 21
    DBF: 0
  • PetitClapotis
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I have zero control with peanut butter and it was ugly yesterday :s I cannot be trusted around peanut butter :'(

@PetitClapotis - Most peanut butter is what they call the perfect storm - the perfect balance of sweet, salty, and fatty... It sets off dopamine reactions in your brain. So don't feel too badly, sincerely. The industry has geared that product against you. I find that almond butter does okay for me, but if sweetened, I have that same reaction to it... You can actually try the natural butter (just salt, nuts) to see if it's that trifecta for you... Some folks taste the natural sweetness of the nuts, still, but fewer folks find this a trigger.
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I have zero control with peanut butter and it was ugly yesterday :s I cannot be trusted around peanut butter :'(

@PetitClapotis - Most peanut butter is what they call the perfect storm - the perfect balance of sweet, salty, and fatty... It sets off dopamine reactions in your brain. So don't feel too badly, sincerely. The industry has geared that product against you. I find that almond butter does okay for me, but if sweetened, I have that same reaction to it... You can actually try the natural butter (just salt, nuts) to see if it's that trifecta for you... Some folks taste the natural sweetness of the nuts, still, but fewer folks find this a trigger.

I just want to thank you for this. I tried natural peanut butter, just plain old peanuts, no salt, no sugar, no added oil. And it's not addictive at all!! Finally I can eat just one tbsp and naturally stop wanting more!! Unbelievable!! I'm soooo happy! :p
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @PetitClapotis - Congrats on finding a swap you can handle! <3
  • Moxie42
    Options
    DBF: 12

Can't take too much credit. Lots of dental work recently so my whole mouth hurts, I'm not allowed to chew on one side, and antibiotics are making my stomach very unhappy.

@PetitClapotis - YAY! That's awesome!
  • brittdee88
    Options

I can't wait to reach 21 consecutive days of not binging! Just 2 more to go!!!
  • hillmike56
    Options
    B: 4
  • PetitClapotis
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »

I can't wait to reach 21 consecutive days of not binging! Just 2 more to go!!!

I'm so happy for you! You got this!
  • brittdee88
    Options
    Thanks, @PetitClapotis!

• lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    hillmike56 wrote: »
    B: 2

@lamlam2013 Thank you so much. I don't mean to whin I actually feel more in control of the BINGE now in my life than at any point that I can remember. If this BINGE battle is your orginal idea I really appreciate the board you created and the fact that it touch something in my soul that clicked for me in my weight battle. Saying this as I post a zero beside DBF. But yesterday this darkness came over our town and everyone was amazed and I joined into the party with too many calories. But like you say one day at a time.

Thank you! This binge battle was originally one of my friend's creations, but I decided to keep the monthly challenge going because I need it. Yes, one day at a time. :smile:
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    Aug 26

Me: 26*
    Binge: 0

DBF: 26
  • brittdee88
    Options

WOOHOOOOOO! So happy to reach 21 days without a binge! I feel like I'm on top of the world!
  • PetitClapotis
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »

WOOHOOOOOO! So happy to reach 21 days without a binge! I feel like I'm on top of the world!

Congrats! You did it! B)