Kitty's OMAD Journey

Options

Replies

• Jim_fbr
    Jim_fbr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Speaking of constipation, I found that it's the fiber that does it. I've been eating essentially only meat and dairy for the past month, and lets just say it is very smooth sailing. When I used to pack in the veggies and salads every day that was another story. Meat breaks down completely and the body absorbs it very well, whereas vegetables are at best only partially digested.
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jim_fbr wrote: »
    Speaking of constipation, I found that it's the fiber that does it. I've been eating essentially only meat and dairy for the past month, and lets just say it is very smooth sailing. When I used to pack in the veggies and salads every day that was another story. Meat breaks down completely and the body absorbs it very well, whereas vegetables are at best only partially digested.

really??? I never knew that, (about the veges and meat digestion info) what fiber are you taking? Is it a powder or pill or? I know there are heaps of fiber in beans...hence baked beans for dinner tonight =)
  • mittenswillet
    Options
    I just want to eat a meal and not have chest pains 8 hours later =(
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Don't forget that you won't be going potty as much anyway because you're only eating 1 meal.

When I was having chest pains after eating it was my gallbladder and I had sludge and stones and it had to be removed.
  • Jim_fbr
    Options

really??? I never knew that, (about the veges and meat digestion info) what fiber are you taking? Is it a powder or pill or? I know there are heaps of fiber in beans...hence baked beans for dinner tonight =)

Never took any fiber, I'm talking about what comes naturally in veggies and greens. Before trying this diet experiment people cautioned me about the horrible constipation i was in for, but just the opposite happened. So much of the conventional wisdom is simply wrong.
  • Brendalea69
    Options

Never took any fiber, I'm talking about what comes naturally in veggies and greens. Before trying this diet experiment people cautioned me about the horrible constipation i was in for, but just the opposite happened. So much of the conventional wisdom is simply wrong.

Jim could you please give us some examples of your meals?
  • Jim_fbr
    Options

Last night for example;

2 fried eggs with roughly 10 pieces of bacon. (went a little overboard but hey it's bacon)
    2 fillet mignons
    1 hamburger patty
    polish sausage (about 4 inches)
    couple slices of cheddar cheese
    plate of pork rinds
    roughly 1/2 cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt
    sparkling water

Typically there would be more meat, but last night this was enough.
    Meats are cooked with olive oil and or butter.

• minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact opposite! That meal above would kill me (and that's a lot of the reason why I'm a vegetarian, that kind of food really doesn't agree with me)... I'm super regular and I eat a TON of fibre rich veggies, beans etc. Crazy how everybody is so different.

I'm reading a ton about our gut microbiomes right now - fascinating. I haven't finished the book I'm reading yet (The Diet Myth, The Real Science Behind What We Eat, by Tim Spector), but it sounds like what microbes you have in your gut make a MASSIVE difference to how you digest food, use nutrients, everything. Super interesting and really explains why people get evangelical about their particular diet and think that it should work for everybody, because really, everybody is so different and if you find the right diet for you, it really does work and might even be life changing.

I'm going to get my gut microbiome tested (there is the American Gut Project and UK Gut Project that will test it) to see what it says and I bet it says I have the right stuff to digest the veggies, beans etc. Likely that you, Jim, would have different stuff that allows you to digest the meat etc... So cool!
  • Jim_fbr
    Options
    I'm not sure what to make of all the gut microbiome stuff I read.
    Fasting is supposedly good for the gut because it kills off all the bad stuff in there and lets it heal. If true then mine is probably in good shape. I've also read that there are many plants that are actually toxic and destructive to the gut, leaving holes. I think the ones with lectins. There is a Dr. Gundry that makes this point.

I don't want to go into excessive detail on this it's just that the quantity and quality of the output is so much different with this diet. I was regular with the other diet too but a lot more bulky, undigested, identifiable material was present with my high veggie diet. The meat just breaks down so completely.
  • mittenswillet
    Options

aha........thankyou =)
  • mittenswillet
    Options
    Don't forget that you won't be going potty as much anyway because you're only eating 1 meal.

When I was having chest pains after eating it was my gallbladder and I had sludge and stones and it had to be removed.

in that case, I will give myself a gall bladder cleanse on Sunday. The last one I did was maybe 8 years ago?
    I got a huge stone and lots of little ones.
  • mittenswillet
    Options
    well here is my boring meal LOL I really found it boring to eat, 4 pieces of toast. desert i had icecream with chocolate sauce and a kex cookie crumbled over it....i was too rebelious to have an apple, another typical thing for me....after suffering through my boring dinner why would i have a bloody apple?? seriously, I got mega rebelion issues.....=)

oh44hq0mwp0h.jpg
  • mittenswillet
    edited October 2017
    Options
    sigh, gall bladder cleanse..........didnt enjoy the last one, so I know I wont enjoy this one. Well, it will be over in 24 hours, so I will commit to it on sunday. It certainly wont kill me to take one day out of my life to do it.
  • mittenswillet
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »
    I'm the exact opposite! That meal above would kill me (and that's a lot of the reason why I'm a vegetarian, that kind of food really doesn't agree with me)... I'm super regular and I eat a TON of fibre rich veggies, beans etc. Crazy how everybody is so different.

I'm reading a ton about our gut microbiomes right now - fascinating. I haven't finished the book I'm reading yet (The Diet Myth, The Real Science Behind What We Eat, by Tim Spector), but it sounds like what microbes you have in your gut make a MASSIVE difference to how you digest food, use nutrients, everything. Super interesting and really explains why people get evangelical about their particular diet and think that it should work for everybody, because really, everybody is so different and if you find the right diet for you, it really does work and might even be life changing.

I'm going to get my gut microbiome tested (there is the American Gut Project and UK Gut Project that will test it) to see what it says and I bet it says I have the right stuff to digest the veggies, beans etc. Likely that you, Jim, would have different stuff that allows you to digest the meat etc... So cool!

I think I am the same as you, that meal would kill me too , I know veges really help me, beans etc.......and moving more helps me as well, last few days Ive been doing extra house cleaning just to move my body and ease the chest pain....going to the store more etc..... seriously, getting older is not fun, but im never going to take off my boxing gloves......why should I? I will fight everything until the end. :p:p:p
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to make of all the gut microbiome stuff I read.
    Fasting is supposedly good for the gut because it kills off all the bad stuff in there and lets it heal. If true then mine is probably in good shape. I've also read that there are many plants that are actually toxic and destructive to the gut, leaving holes. I think the ones with lectins. There is a Dr. Gundry that makes this point.

I don't want to go into excessive detail on this it's just that the quantity and quality of the output is so much different with this diet. I was regular with the other diet too but a lot more bulky, undigested, identifiable material was present with my high veggie diet. The meat just breaks down so completely.

Yeah, I'm not sure I buy the Dr Gundry "plants containing lectins are bad for everybody" thing. They certainly don't seem to be bad for me. But again, it sounds like the whole gut microbiome thing could make a big difference in whether they end up hurting or helping you... I find all this stuff SO interesting though...
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    sigh, gall bladder cleanse..........didnt enjoy the last one, so I know I wont enjoy this one. Well, it will be over in 24 hours, so I will commit to it on sunday. It certainly wont kill me to take one day out of my life to do it.

My pain felt like I was having a heart attack...I hope the cleanse helps but if you keep having pains you should get it checked out ok?
  • Brendalea69
    Options

Last night for example;

2 fried eggs with roughly 10 pieces of bacon. (went a little overboard but hey it's bacon)
    2 fillet mignons
    1 hamburger patty
    polish sausage (about 4 inches)
    couple slices of cheddar cheese
    plate of pork rinds
    roughly 1/2 cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt
    sparkling water

Typically there would be more meat, but last night this was enough.
    Meats are cooked with olive oil and or butter.

I hear ya on the bacon :p This is how I used to eat except I ate more eggs and less meat and I used to get constipated, I wonder if I would have eaten more meat I would have been more regular?
  • mittenswillet
    Options

My pain felt like I was having a heart attack...I hope the cleanse helps but if you keep having pains you should get it checked out ok?

I will I promise....Ive had all kinds of heartburn...the worst made my cry it was so painful, I just felt like someone stabbing me in the chest, I only got through that episode with cammomile tea.

But yes, if nothing improves after a few months I will take myself to a doctor.
  • mittenswillet
    Options
    ah I forgot to mention the bacon also......all I can say is mmmmmmm bacon.... =) like Homer would ahahhaa.!
  • mittenswillet
    Options
    oh guys, I was watching a video with John Douilliard about reflux etc, long story short, Im now doing some exercises from him, and also sun salutations. Will do sun sal in the mornings, and his recomeneded exercises for 2 mins morning and night... I think this will help alot, plus im only 43, from my perspective, being so young I can fix myself of this issue.