November Challenge

Options

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    HaideeJo13 wrote: »
    I found out about 6 months ago I tested positive for the Brca 2 cancer gene mutation. My risk of breast cancer is about 90%. I am 33. My best bet is to do double mastectomy as well as oopherectomy to remove my tubes. We started with breast mri's and mammograms. Then ultrasounds. Came back with two lumps in my right breast and one in my left. Today was my biopsies. It hurt!!!! I hurt!!! I came home and wanted to eat everything in sight. I almost grabbed a box of donut holes and chowed down. BUT I didn't.... I'm gonna cuddle on the couch with my ice packed Boobs and eat some bacon lol.

How awful. It is beyond words at your age, my 31 year old niece is having Chemo just now and testing showed she is BRCA1. Obviously we are all being tested currently, me tomorrow. A friends' kids are also BRCA2 and his daughter as had a double mastectomy and is now waiting for the next stage of her ovaries being removed. It's not fun, to say the least of it.
    From what I've read recently though a Keto Diet can really help and also there is a lot written about taking a large does of Vit C every day. There are sustained release ones that stay for 8 hours, then you take some more. It helps fight the cancer cells. It may or may not be true but it is at least worth a try and is unlikely to do you any harm.
    I'm sure I am with everyone in wishing you well and please keep us posted with what is happening. When do you get the results of the Biopsies? That's one hard wait. <3<3<3
  • HaideeJo13
    HaideeJo13 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words!!! It is hard to watch some one you love go through cancer. I am sorry you have to go through that. Good for you for getting tested. Its a hard decision but it's worth it. A lot of people don't understand why people go through such extreme preventative measures when you don't even have cancer. Personally I would rather my family see me choose the preventative measures than go through cancer. In have three wonderful kids to love for. It has been extremely hard being so young. All my appointments i am by far the youngest one there. It is a huge reality check!! I should find out my results Friday or Monday. Fingers crossed I just have lumpy Boobs
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    I hope so too. I'm a fan of knowing and then prevention no matter how drastic. My friend's daughter was just in her early 20s with two kids when she had the double mastectomies. My niece is having a double mastectomy after the Chemo, though the lump was just in one breast. Thankfully she has no kids to worry about for now. Most of our family are having testing no we know it is BRCA1. The older generation like me going first because if we don't have the gene, then our direct kids can't. We were actually joking about it as we are a family of mainly female cousins and all with the same noses, so we were deciding what size and shape of boobs, we could have matching!! Hope your results turn out well. xx
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I found out about 6 months ago I tested positive for the Brca 2 cancer gene mutation. My risk of breast cancer is about 90%. I am 33. My best bet is to do double mastectomy as well as oopherectomy to remove my tubes. We started with breast mri's and mammograms. Then ultrasounds. Came back with two lumps in my right breast and one in my left. Today was my biopsies. It hurt!!!! I hurt!!! I came home and wanted to eat everything in sight. I almost grabbed a box of donut holes and chowed down. BUT I didn't.... I'm gonna cuddle on the couch with my ice packed Boobs and eat some bacon lol.

@HaideeJo13 - I cannot even imagine! Good for you on stopping yourself (from the carbage!). I'm sending you the absolute BEST THOUGHTS.

I don't know if it helps you at all to deal with this with humor, but comedian Caitlin Brodnick also found herself at risk and chose preventative mastectomy. She's written a book titled "Dangerous Boobies - Breaking Up with My Time-Bomb Breasts," and I find her humor and aplomb when dealing with such a minefield of a situation to be quite masterful. There was a series she did online (for Cosmo or Glamour or someone) showing her decision process, her pre- and post-op self, and her humor through it all. I think she is 2 years out or so from her surgery, and is expecting her first child!

I don't know of anyone else who has specifically written/interviewed about this in this depth, this way, so it was quite refreshing! If you need any links, please let me know!
  • HaideeJo13
    Options
    Aw thanks you guys!!! I am definitely doing my best to stay positive as well as keep my humor. Its all we can really do. I have done A LOT of research and reading up. My doctors were impressed lol. Knowledge is power! I would love to read some humor in all of this. Thank you KnitOrMiss!!
  • hillarymouse
    hillarymouse Posts: 69 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hi all! I'm excited about these but I always forget to come back and update my info! Anyway, I'm 5' 9" (but let's pretend I'm 5'10") and started at 320lbs 1/9/17. I'd love to be at 255 by New Year's because that marks my half-way point!

10/29 - 274.6
    11/5 - 268.9
    11/12 - 268.4
    11/19
    11/26
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    Hi all! I'm excited about these but I always forget to come back and update my info! Anyway, I'm 5' 9" (but let's pretend I'm 5'10") and started at 320lbs 1/9/17. I'd love to be at 255 by New Year's because that marks my half-way point!

10/29 - 274.6
    11/5 - 268.9
    11/12 - 268.4
    11/19
    11/26

Well done you are certainly on your way!! :)
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @HaideeJo13

Good for you for not eating the sweets. Keep eating that bacon. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • Rosie040522
    Rosie040522 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a little late but I wanted to put in my stats here too.

Started on 10/10/17 @ 220

10/31: 211
    11/6: 211.5
    11/13: 209
    11/20:
    11/27:
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    Ortiz1226 wrote: »

11/20:
    11/27:

Better late than never and going well I see! Someone else heading to Onederland soon! o:)
  • Rosie040522
    Rosie040522 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ortiz1226 wrote: »

11/20:
    11/27:

Better late than never and going well I see! Someone else heading to Onederland soon! o:)

Yes! So excited to be so close to Onederland!

• HaideeJo13
    Options
    Boom!!! I broke my stall. Hopefully it sticks. Got on the scale at 166 this morning. Yay!!! I was put on Tylenol with codeine for a bad cough i have last monday and i am wondering If it was stalling me. I quit taking it. Maybe i just broke the stall, w Hi knows, but I am HAPPY!!!
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    Boom!!! I broke my stall. Hopefully it sticks. Got on the scale at 166 this morning. Yay!!! I was put on Tylenol with codeine for a bad cough i have last monday and i am wondering If it was stalling me. I quit taking it. Maybe i just broke the stall, w Hi knows, but I am HAPPY!!!

Excellent work and let us know as soon as you hear about your results x
  • HaideeJo13
    Options
    Thank you! I definitely will. In am hoping I find out today, the anxiety is killing me!!! Thank you all for your support!!
  • HaideeJo13
    Options
    Thank you. I sure will. I was hoping for news today but looks like it will probably be Monday. Sure hoping for good news!!! Quick question. Does anyone know how to quit getting notifications from a discussion like this. I have one that I was a part of like almost 2 years ago and it takes up my notifications and drives me Crazy!!!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I sure will. I was hoping for news today but looks like it will probably be Monday. Sure hoping for good news!!! Quick question. Does anyone know how to quit getting notifications from a discussion like this. I have one that I was a part of like almost 2 years ago and it takes up my notifications and drives me Crazy!!!

This happened to me too! You have to go to the thread and dig through to find your old post(s). Then report them, there's an option for "this is my post" and ask them to delete your posts from the thread so that you stop being notified.

It seems ridiculous, there really should be a simple check box or something if you want to unsubscribe from a thread!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Tap on the "bell". Notification Preferences shows. Tap on Notification Preferences. There is a list and you "check" or "uncheck" accordingly. ETA: Be sure to tap "save" after you change it.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Tap on the "bell". Notification Preferences shows. Tap on Notification Preferences. There is a list and you "check" or "uncheck" accordingly.

That only works if you want to unsubscribe from all threads. But sometimes we have threads we're active in and don't want to turn those off. It's all or nothing. You have to receive notices about every thread you've ever posted in, or none.

:star: Edit :star:
    You're right, there's is a fix. Uncheck the notices for discussions I've participated in, and check the notices for bookmarked threads. Then just remember to bookmark the threads you care about.

Thanks!!