Replies

• Sugarnspice1922
    Sugarnspice1922 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone
  • prowell57
    prowell57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I discovered fried pork rinds are very keto friendly, no carbs/sugar in them. I've started eating them in place of potato chips. I also learned that you can crush them up really fine (like flour) and dip meat (or whatever you're going to fry/bake in the crushed pork rinds before cooking. It gives a crust to the meat/vegetables.
  • prowell57
    Options
    Oh I forgot...you can dip the meat/vegetables in a beaten egg before dipping it in the crushed pork rinds, helps the pork rinds to stick to whatever your cooking. I did this to asparagus spears but I added salt, pepper and shredded Parmesan cheese to the crushed pork rinds before dipping the asparagus in it (but first dip the asparagus in beaten egg) so pork rind mixture would stick, then I baked them. Today I'm going to make salmon cakes and use crushed pork rinds to make the cakes a little crunchy.
  • prowell57
    Options
    Hello everyone

Hi Sugarnspice, hope you're having a great day.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,121 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    prowell57 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    @prowell57 I would have eaten the sausage and gravy! Great Keto food!

I didn't think gravy was a keto food because of the flour used to thicken it.

Gravy doesn’t always have flour and even if it does it isn’t a lot.
  • booksnbrains
    booksnbrains Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I’m new to the group, and I just wanted to say that I managed to eat keto for the whole day! I have been slipping up so much that I’m trying to celebrate every victory!
  • booksnbrains
    Options
    I discovered fried pork rinds are very keto friendly, no carbs/sugar in them. I've started eating them in place of potato chips. I also learned that you can crush them up really fine (like flour) and dip meat (or whatever you're going to fry/bake in the crushed pork rinds before cooking. It gives a crust to the meat/vegetables.

These make great nachos! It’s high calorie, but a great weekend food!
  • prowell57
    Options

These make great nachos! It’s high calorie, but a great weekend food!

I never thought of using them for nachos. Thank you for the idea.
  • prowell57
    Options
    Hey all! I’m new to the group, and I just wanted to say that I managed to eat keto for the whole day! I have been slipping up so much that I’m trying to celebrate every victory!

Good job👍🏼. This is my 2nd week on keto. I did real good first week but slipped up myself last 2 days. We can do this!!
  • prowell57
    Options
    Happy 4th of July to all my USA friends🎈
    I've been struggling last couple days on keto. Didn't do too good yesterday, stayed below my calories but went over on my carbs/sugar. When I first started keto last week I jumped right in on a strict keto! Thinking about changing my macros so they're not quiet as strict and work my way up to a strict keto. I had macros set to; carbs 5%, protein 20% and fat 75%. Thinking of changing them to 10%, 30%, 60%. What did y'all have your macros set at when you first started keto?
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    @prowell57 ,I changed my macros to 10% net carbs,20% protein and 70% fat. So I can eat more vegetables. 5% net carbs is too low for me too.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I set mine according to what was recommended to go into ketosis. 5% carb 20% protein and 75% fat. I used Keto sticks to check to see if I was in ketosis and I was. Over that kicks me out of ketosis the fat burning mode. Now that I lost all my fat I eat mostly Keto but I do have donut and Coke days!
  • prowell57
    Options
    Malimalai wrote: »
    @prowell57 ,I changed my macros to 10% net carbs,20% protein and 70% fat. So I can eat more vegetables. 5% net carbs is too low for me too.

I didn't realize how many vegetables have carbs, heck 1 salad would use up half my carbs :( Hopefully changing my carbs to 10% will help.
  • prowell57
    Options
    I set mine according to what was recommended to go into ketosis. 5% carb 20% protein and 75% fat. I used Keto sticks to check to see if I was in ketosis and I was. Over that kicks me out of ketosis the fat burning mode. Now that I lost all my fat I eat mostly Keto but I do have donut and Coke days!

I had mine set to same thing cause that's what was recommended for me also but seems like I was always going over on carbs. I want to be in ketosis and burn fat. Good idea with the keto sticks!

• prowell57
    Options
    I weighed in this morning. I gained 0.2, not as bad as I thought it'd be. Last couple days was rough with the holiday but now that the 4th is over its time to get serious again!
  • booksnbrains
    Options
    Day 3 of intermittent fasting and this round of keto for me, but I’m up .7 pounds this morning. I’ve incorporated weight lifting into my routine, too, so maybe that’s the issue. I’m going to stick with my exercise routine, but hope to see weight loss in the next week.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    @booksnbrains I did 19:5 fasting, Keto and progressive overload with my Kettlebell. I lost fat really fast doing that. Don’t worry about the scale. Keep carbs under 25g drink a lot of water and weigh your food and you should be burning fat quickly.
  • booksnbrains
    Options
    @booksnbrains I did 19:5 fasting, Keto and progressive overload with my Kettlebell. I lost fat really fast doing that. Don’t worry about the scale. Keep carbs under 25g drink a lot of water and weigh your food and you should be burning fat quickly.

Thanks for the support! I’m planning on sticking with this routine for two weeks and see where I end up. I’m also thinking about trying out a body composition scale, to test the idea that I’m burning fat but accumulating muscle and/or water and that’s what is masking the fat loss.
  • liketoyak
    liketoyak Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I've finally picked up some test strips and can't get them to tell me I'm in ketosis. Is there a timing trick for testing? Or did I knock my self out of ketosis over the weekend?
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    liketoyak wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    I've finally picked up some test strips and can't get them to tell me I'm in ketosis. Is there a timing trick for testing? Or did I knock my self out of ketosis over the weekend?

Test First thing in the morning! If you don’t see results then you probably aren’t in ketosis. Watch your carbs closely.
This discussion has been closed.