Cathartic Thread For Injured Runners, er support for managing injuries. ;-)

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @fitoverfortymom I just caught myself doing that today. LOL.

2 new kinds of eccentric calf raises today from my PT. She's mean; they're hard.

Lol. She's a crazy calf lady.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom Hahaha totally.

My ankle didn't like last night's run, which means it was too long so I adjust distance downward before tomorrow's run. Good data from my Garmin last night means I should be able to figure out a good distance.

It hurt when I woke up but right now there's only minor twinges. Will do all my physio exercises followed by all my physio stretches right after work, then ice it and use the prescription strength diclo cream before bed.
  • sarahthes
    Options
    Ankle pain today is a fair bit lower than yesterday which makes me feel better about running tonight. It's almost more a sensation on the verge of pain instead of actual pain. Which is the fastest recovery from a run I've had yet. I didn't tape my ankle yesterday and I did today, so that might also be making a difference.

Right calf hurts from all the eccentric one-legged squats and calf raises (and dips) though. LOL.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I tried spinning at the gym and did an online core workout (I'm a big Les Mills fan and subscribe to Les Mills on Demand).

One of those things triggered the FAI and I've been hurty for two days. Uggggggg.

I haven't tried running, so once I'm done helping my sister move this weekend, I'm going to try a short run next week. PT today, so hopefully he'll rub out some of the hurt.

Does anyone have their own TENS unit and find it helpful?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I tried spinning at the gym and did an online core workout (I'm a big Les Mills fan and subscribe to Les Mills on Demand).

One of those things triggered the FAI and I've been hurty for two days. Uggggggg.

I haven't tried running, so once I'm done helping my sister move this weekend, I'm going to try a short run next week. PT today, so hopefully he'll rub out some of the hurt.

Does anyone have their own TENS unit and find it helpful?

I hated the home tens unit. It felt like someone pulling my skin off. But the ones at PT were fine.

Cycling is definitely less friendly to my hip, but i need to do it to keep my glutes awake.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Cycling is definitely less friendly to my hip, but i need to do it to keep my glutes awake.

This is totally where I am. I think it flared up my hip something fierce, but my glutes are lazy.

• Elise4270
    Options

This is totally where I am. I think it flared up my hip something fierce, but my glutes are lazy.

I need to make sure i bike once a week or my glutes forget to work all the time. I've been working on keeping them engaged throughout the day. It really nice to flex and feel how strong they are. Horrible when you can get anything out of them.

I had a pt that told me to sit on my hands, just rest your finger tips under them and flex. I do that while I'm laying on the couch watching TV. It helps.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    So, I’m not quite back to existing in forums, but I’m occasionally back to the reading/stalking phase... so...
    Where in Wyoming are you moving your sister to? @fitoverfortymom
  • sarahthes
    Options
    Ankle has felt pretty good the past couple of days. I think I will go up to 8 intervals and hold there for the rest of the week, then increase again on Sunday. My ankle doesn't really hurt most days - mostly just that I'm hyper aware of it and there's a sensation of tightness or maybe a 1/10 on the pain scale.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I suspect I'll be active in this thread again, unfortunately. Dangit!!! Training was going so well. My IT band, which was the reason for being here before, was never an issue during my race Saturday.

In all likelyhood I'll be having foot surgery very soon to reattached my toe's extensor tendon. I have no idea how long that will take me out of running. When I can run again, I'm sure I'll be restricted for distance.

I'll have to join a local fitness center and find something else to do for exercise now. Who knows, maybe this will finally get me to do more cross training.

poop.
  • sarahthes
    Options
    Awww welcome to the crappy club @7lenny7.

My ankle has felt great the past several days. I skipped taping this morning because of physio before work and now it aches something awful.

I'm still running tonight but I won't push for a distance increase like I'd planned. And I'll re-tape it before I go!

The good news is physio is now every second week.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Surgery tomorrow. Full details here if you're not reading that thread.

6 weeks of no driving, 12 weeks before I can run. I'll take it easy for a week, then I'll be looking for something to do for exercise. While looking for cardio I can do without my foot I found this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LtrciwU4Fbo

It actually looks like a good routine, but man...does it look silly!

I may go for upper body/core work as well.
  • sarahthes
    Options
    @7lenny7 once your incision is healed are you able to swim? Or do water aerobics or similar?
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @7lenny7 once your incision is healed are you able to swim? Or do water aerobics or similar?

@sarahthes I'm not sure what I'll be allowed to do and when. If all goes well I'll be in a cast for 4 weeks. It could be a boot right away but that would mean the surgeon had to go with the least desirable option which is fused toe bones.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @7lenny7 Hope recovery is bearable and your sleep isn't disrupted. We're patiently waiting the surgeon's choice and to hear how your holding up.

• 7lenny7
    Options
    @7lenny7 Hope recovery is bearable and your sleep isn't disrupted. We're patiently waiting the surgeon's choice and to hear how your holding up.

Hey, @Elise4270! I just posted about it on the main thread. The surgeon attached the partial tendon from my second toe to the whole tendon on my third.

So far I'm being a good boy and following doctor's orders, taking it easy and keeping my foot up. I'm getting a lot of time with Netflix and some good naps.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Today is the first day I have gotten out of bed in almost exactly a month that I didn't feel a myriad of aches and pains. My left hip (with the torn labrum and and FAI) wasn't irritated at all AND the excruciating tightness in the right side of my back was nowhere to be found. I've had to follow PT to the letter to feel better and sitting all day for work definitely aggravates it (working on a solution to do more standing now).

I finally feel hopeful that I will return to running!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    @7lenny7 Sorry to hear you'll be out from running, but glad to hear you are taking care of issues!
  • sarahthes
    Options
    I increased my distance yesterday from 8 run/walk intervals to 10 run/walk intervals. No pain and minimal sensation during or immediately after.ild stiffness this morning that I didn't notice by lunch.

This week I'm increasing the short run intervals to 9x and long run to 12x, after which I'm going to move away from intervals with the help of my running coach. At least, that's the plan for November!

I think I'm just about healed up and at the point where I'm more concerned with rebuilding my aerobic base.

Which means it's time to sign up for a race... right?
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Tomorrow I get fitted for the iWalk 2.0, a hands free crutch. It's not a perfect solution for getting around with a foot cast but it looks closer to perfect than crutches or a knee scooter.

Hopefully it's comfortable enough that I can go for walks. Being hands free is HUGE!

https://iwalk-free.com/product-introduction/