Cathartic Thread For Injured Runners, er support for managing injuries. ;-)

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Doc said I'll run again . Maybe pick out a spring race. I didn't get to talk to him after surgery but he talked to DH. The labrum wasn't torn (how in the world could that be? That hip hurt and was so stiff. ) Reshaped the socket and ball, shouldn't pinch that labrum anymore. Said it was very inflamed. Think the ligamentum teres was fine. Hate that I have to wait 2 weeks for get the scoop. It makes me feel like "nothing" was done, if he didn't tell me what he found.

No pain meds needed yet.

No pt for 2-3 weeks. I have an anesthesia headache or it's the ice cream from last night.

Eta. From dh's account, I have a misshapen pelvis. Ya I kinda figured that. So, I'm not sure but I think that dysplasia.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Doc said I'll run again . Maybe pick out a spring race. I didn't get to talk to him after surgery but he talked to DH. The labrum wasn't torn (how in the world could that be? That hip hurt and was so stiff. ) Reshaped the socket and ball, shouldn't pinch that labrum anymore. Said it was very inflamed. Think the ligamentum teres was fine. Hate that I have to wait 2 weeks for get the scoop. It makes me feel like "nothing" was done, if he didn't tell me what he found.

No pain meds needed yet.

No pt for 2-3 weeks. I have an anesthesia headache or it's the ice cream from last night.

Eta. From dh's account, I have a misshapen pelvis. Ya I kinda figured that. So, I'm not sure but I think that dysplasia.

@Elise4270 if his reshaping solves the inflammation issue that would be huge!

It does suck that you have to wait 2 weeks but I'm encouraged.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    So glad the doc said you will run again! That is so encouraging! I really hope the reshaping helps and it is probably much better that the labrum wasn't torn. Easier recovery maybe? The two weeks will give it some Tim to recover and then hopefully you will be back at the PT and getting it done!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement @7lenny7 and @shanaber . I think this shouldn't be too bad once I get over the nsaid reaction. I know not to take them, but was given them. And I know that after such a procedure, bone and tissue could grow where it not supposed to, and figured this would help, so I took a chance.

Now I'm sick. Freezing, nauseous, and diarrhea... TMI- already passing mucus. So I hope it doesn't make my guts bleed. DH is out on a run and left the worst behaved orange cat in here.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @mbaker566 - have you had a tetanus shot? I kind of assumed you were required to have one with your work with the fosters. I thought it hurt almost as much as the bite. I hadn't had one in years though, since I worked at the zoo in college, so it was needed.

How is the other foster girl doing? I think you said they are going to check her for aggression issues?

Speed demon is a resident.
    Joy will be evaluated and our trainer will work with her. If it works, training will continue. If it doesn't, I'll be there with her when they put her down.
    It had been 7 years since my last one so I had to get one. I told them to put it on my bad arm. It definitely hurt
  • Elise4270
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Post op day 3.

Surprisingly the pain prior to surgery is noticably better. I haven't forced my hip into the position that elicited the most pain, but I suspect it would be better if I were that brave. The pain in my hip flexor is gone and the hip feels a bit swollen, but not tight and achy anymore.
    I could assume that it's medication left in the joint space that's made the difference, we'll see. I'm really happy that this feels like a building point.

I watch all these people walking around, riding bicycles, motorcycles and don't understand how I'm the one affected. By extension, my normal is your normal. I don't know why I haven't been able to understand that this doesn't happen to everyone, just some of the everyones out there. I took a Tylenol 3 for church, I'm probably not making sense. I just wondered how all those folks keep moving without pain and having to have had surgery to fix it. I think I'm just loopy. Not "why me" but "how me", how did it happen? DH said birth defects, I still wanna see "how".

I should get on the bike trainer today. Nap. I asked DH for Mac and cheese. And I gotta study. Exams W R F M.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Day 5 post hip reshaping.

I had the thought yesterday that I could do squats at some point. Thought perhaps I'd rig up a pull up bar and hang a jump rope from it when the time is right.

Slept better, but did give in to a Tylenol 3. I feel like that by my 2week follow up, I should be cleared to run. Probably not, but noticible difference.

I'm stoked.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I am so excited that you are already feeling so much better! YAY!!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Early day 6.

Slept for crap. I have this pain twinge in my left ovary area every 2-3 minutes that kept me awake all night. I'm sure it's a follicular cyst. I hope it doesn't get bad. Last one had me in the ER throwing up. I have a long class day today that I may bail on. But exams are coming up and I'd miss a key review session in biochem. I'm updating this class, no idea how I made a B last time. Just gonna roll with it. Respect for the college kids.

Oh the hip. Nah it's eh, unhappy. I forgot to drop the ice pack back in the freezer so no ice last night. The 2nd ice pack is awol. I was to lazy (forgot really) that I have the ice circulation machine that I could have used. Anyhow, today may be a wash on school duties, and a half hearted attempt at a gen bio exam- this class is horrible btw. I'm not impressed by the instruction, and have more important courses to fret over.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Great. Now it appears i have scabies. I didn't even know they were still a thing
  • Elise4270
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Great. Now it appears i have scabies. I didn't even know they were still a thing

I think it’s easily treated with kenalog? I know nursing homes get them and my ex in his drunk fraternity. Good luck. Don’t scratch.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »

I think it’s easily treated with kenalog? I know nursing homes get them and my ex in his drunk fraternity. Good luck. Don’t scratch.

They gave me permiten(?) But same thing. So very itchy. Im not sure if it was or not. Got it all over my body whatever it is. Never had chicken pox but im guessing this is what it's like
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Day 7

I suppose like any surgery there's up and down. The up is so close to normal the down is baffling at times. But, I remember to just be patient, and have a Tylenol or two.

Yesterday I bailed on violin lessons and biochem lab, no way I wanted to stand for hours. So figured home, ice, meds and a nap would be great. I think the meds are light. I only slept an hour but felt better.

One more week and I can find out the extent of the findings.

What I'm stoked about: (right)
    I can squeeze my glutes. And I can squeeze my glutes without pain.
    Psoas pain is better to none
    Radiating si pain.... Eh better but there.

Concerns: (left)
    Remembering to regularly release the pirifomis on the opposite side. Foot numbness and tingling.
    ...and being able to resist eating all the tamales in the fridge. Seriously must be my favorite food. Nothing beats a good pork tamale.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Day 8.

Slept poorly. I don't know why I'm so resistant to taking something at night. Maybe I have a "resistant strain". Haha. Get it. A strain of my personality is resistant. Oh hell, I love this microbiology class and it shows.

Took half of a Tylenol 3 on the way to an exam. Btw I'm happy to have made a 96 on my stats test yesterday. Did not study. Life experience knowledge. Fingers crossed on the biochem exam. I did study, but could have used more information getting into my brain.

Oh hip recovery... It's cranky. I suspect surgery meds left in the hip, if any have worn off or the swelling is down enough that I have less diffuse pain and more, "this is swollen here" and "wth sharp pain?" The muscles are eh, sore. But everyday is better, so I'm cool.

I still want pie and to find a krav maga class.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Congrats on the Stats test! Hope the others go equally as well! If every day is getting better that is awesome. I do hope you sleep well/better tonight!
  • shanaber
    Options
    Oh and maybe some pie this weekend to celebrate? Your choice... If it were me I would take the apple with lots of cinnamon! 😁
  • Elise4270
    Options
    No where are we? Day 9...

Slept poorly.. did not take meds or use ice. I really should address this laziness, resistance, self sabotage behaviour. Ice, meds, and CPM this morning with coffee. I don’t like the Tylenol 3, I think it gives me a headache.

@shanaber Apple is definitely the way to go. That Apple bread I make sounds about perfect. Wonder why that isn’t more of a thing? Perhaps after all exams, doc update, and off the crutches; I’ll make some.

Today’s plans: CPM, ice, coffee, microbiology study, I gotta get an A here. I mean, I should, no reason not to murder it. I recalled last night that i described Myoglobins p50 curve as parabolic when I meant hyperbolic... gah test jitters. I drew hyperbolic. Wonder what other slip ups I had on biochem? Grrr! Usually on exams like that I write everything I can think of on the back, gets it out and sometimes earns extra. I did not have time for that... maybe next exam... I asked this prof for a recommendation, I hope the exam was decent. He passed out dum dums before the test.. hahaha! Mr smarty-pants
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Day 10.

Took Norco before bed. Slept better and awoke with less pain. I noticed my hip pop had gone from a deep sounding boney pop, to a tap. It sounds like someone taping metal with a light nail. Might ask the doc about that if it persists. Happy my hip doest pop constantly though.

I dun wanna go to church. Ugh, can't y'all leave a girl on crutches alone... And dh brought me coffee this morn with cream in it. I'm lactose intolerant... I did drink it. Perhaps the Norco will negate the transit.

• shanaber
    Options
    Glad you slept better! Sometimes that is what you need more than anything else.

Also I read in an article that lactase activity increases as people add more dairy to their diet. The article was about the Chinese government trying to get their people to drink more milk but because they had not had much cow's milk most did not produce lactase and were intolerant. They found over time though that it went away. The article was mostly about a company that makes oat milk that is banking on the Chinese market for their product but I found the lactase info interesting...
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I gave up milk when dd was born and was allergic to milk protein. I when we went Hawaii, I assed cream to my coffe and have every since, as long as I don’t have to go anywhere for a while. It is a little better already, but I still need a few hours before I can leave!

My oldest son became lactose intolerant at 2.. so odd, he drank a lot of milk too. I think I heard that about the Chinese culture before. I wonder if the dairy industry is pushing it with the soy, almond, coconut, cashew, hemp “milks” out there.