Menopausal Mad Hatters "Soaring to Success" in August

Options

Replies

• hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Patrice, it looks like major fun! Congrats.
    Tonya, welcome back to the real world. Those 5 pounds are as good as gone!
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    today is my last day in the 40s... hitting the big 50 tomorrow! bring on the carrot cake (my fave) and nachos - going to the movies.... me myself and I....leaving my favorite PITA at home... giggles.....
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    today is my last day in the 40s... hitting the big 50 tomorrow! bring on the carrot cake (my fave) and nachos - going to the movies.... me myself and I....leaving my favorite PITA at home... giggles.....
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Wonderful Carol, have some cake and nachos for me! I can't go to the theater to see a movie....I SNORE too loud!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Good morning Hatters!

The site seems to be going up and down this morning, so I'll do my post in stages and hope I don't lose it, then go back for replies after I catch up!

I've been a little MIA lately; apologies but got a rude awakening going back to work after so much time off this summer lol... forgot how hard it is when you're working to stay on track (for me anyway I do much better on days off).

I'm starting to focus on the fitness aspect of my wellness now that I am within 20 or so pounds of my weight loss goal. I'm finding it quite challenging as it's always been a struggle for me, and there is a fear aspect I have to deal with. Having had some shoulder and leg issues where I've been immobilized by both; in the back of my head I've been afraid if I "exercised" it would bring them on again, so it's been a major mental stumbling block for me. However, having the huge opportunity of the free services at work is not something I am willing to pass up on, so now that my mobility has improved I went for my second appointment and was put thru a bunch of new tests for a baseline number before starting... endurance, cardio, core strength, upper body strength, etc etc.. I flunked most of them as expected lol (my word being flunked, not the trainers!) and it would have been rather disheartening except that a) somehow I ACED the core strength test (I'm not sure who was more shocked, me or T) and b) T is so super positive and encouraging... while I was somewhat embarrassed about my results, he was pumped because in his words, "you have the most opportunity to progress than anyone else in here!" (ya.... that would be because they're already fit dude!) lol.. but even though I joke about it, I do have that opportunity and I am going to embrace it full on.

There is so much to learn as I go, about phsyiology and how/what each exercise does for me, combined with the emphasis on flexibility exercises (he used the example of Jean Claude Van Dam.. the guy has bulging muscles but can also do the splits because he also does flexibility movements not just weight training.. bully for him lol). But mentally it's a lot to absorb as well as the physical aspect; everyone part of me hurts this morning and that was just from learning the moves... can't imagine what I'm gonna feel like on Friday after actually doing the full routine tomorrow!! But it's like when I first started learning about nutrition I guess... took me hours to shop and read every label and learn what "fructose" was etc etc... but I DID learn.. and I can learn this!! So this next phase is going to require 100% effort and enthusiasm from me and I intend to soar with it!

I am going to change my goals for this month even though we are only half way through the month. I realize my one for 4lbs of weight loss was unrealistic now; so instead I'm replacing that one with an improvement in each of the baseline numbers on my testing by the end of August.. T gave me a copy of them so I will be able to track it. My goal is to up each one by at least 10 seconds by the end of the month. And to forgive T for making me run!:bigsmile:

Ok, I'm done, I promise! Now to catch up on the replies to all you lovely Hatters!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Carole - a very happy birthday to you!! Hope you have a great time with your celebration..!!!:drinker: I personally am loving my 50's.. truly the most free and confident time time of my life and hope the same for you!

Patrice - first off, congrats on getting those pics up!! and omg it looks like such a blast!! You should be so proud of yourself for committing to it and carrying thru.... what a hoot.. I have no idea if they have those kinds of things around here but I think i will definitely check it out!!

Janet!!! Hawaii next year?? omg how fabulous!!!! and yes you get a few months of enjoying just the anticipation alone!!! That's fabulous so happy for you and DH!!! And happy its just you two lol!!! So you're going to new orleans in January as well???

Tammy so glad you enjoyed your trip; and glad you took the camera!! looking forward to seeing your pics!! Any news on the job front??

Tonya... looks like you had such an amazing time away.... sure hope your batteries got a full recharge!!

Susan - know you're enjoying your stay at the Ranch - can't wait to hear all about it!!
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Carol, welcome to the fifties!!! Fit an Fifty a good combination, congrats.
    Snoozie, good on you for facing your exercise fears. Working with a trainer is the perfect way to do that. The trainer will know what you need to avoid to avoid future injuries.
    Tammy, my January trip is to give a presentation at a conference at the Hotel Montelone! So I won't be paying anything for that one, unless I decide to have any alcohol, that would be my dime. But drinkings not a temptation in the Big Easy, is it?
    Patrice, any lingering effects from being sprayed with foam in the mud?
    Susan, the Canyon Ranch sounds fabulous, since you are our photo guru, I know there will be pics of you luxuriating!
    Tonya, have you gotten over the shock of leaving the ocean behind and returning to the work world?
    NEWBIES, I know that some of you are out there reading, I hope you check in and let us know how you are doing.
    Yesterday, I needed to cross police lines to get into my street at home. A presidential motorcade was coming by. Big limos, police cars, large SUVs for Secret Service. But it was not Obama, it was for House of Cards, which was filming at a house around the corner!
    We are working out the kinks now that my 22 year old has a career job and is living at home "to save money" The other day she asked me what we were having for dinner. I told her that I was going to ask her what she is going to fix for dinner for me. As far as the day to day existence, I am planning on treating her like a roommate and roommates do not expect the other roommates to fix them dinner or clean up after them. Anyone who has read my diary knows that there are days when lunch is my main meal and I have popcorn for dinner. I am not going to change that now that my lovely daughter is home. Weekends are different, I plan meals and I will let her know what and when we are eating and it is up to her whether she wants to join us or not. Yesterday she called DH and told him that she was in the mood for pizza and he went and bought the pizza. Over the summer before she got a job and Greg was home before returning to grad school, I had each of them fix a healthy meal once a week. I need to reinstate that as a minimum "rent" payment.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Janet - love the idea re your daughter; my sister did the same with her adult son..... and worse yet he "was" in training to be a chef... nary even a grilled cheese sandwhich did I EVER see him make let alone a meal of any kind! So sista had a chat and instituted the "room mate" theory in lieu of rent.... she also tried the make ME dinner once a week but alas.. that never panned out lol. But she stuck to her guns re the laundry/dinner etc til he moved out LOL!
  • tonyacoursey
    Options
    Oh Janet, How I long for those beaches again...lol. I just need to retire there and become a member of the AMI Turtle Watch Club!

I feel for you with the daughter being home. It works great for me having Cassie do the laundry and cleaning instead of rent but the meals have created havoc with my weight loss. See the 20lb gain from this time last year. I am hoping they close by the end of the month on their house and I can get back to our normal eating routine.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    First :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Happy Birthday Carole :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Hope you enjoyed all your plans.

Patrice: The pictures make running look fun !!!!!!!!! Never thought of running as fun :bigsmile:

To all the pictures they all make me want to take off and keep going.

Janet:Monteleone :love: :love: :love: They are the sister motel of Beinville House. It has a carousel bar that I haven't visited just yet. Thinking that may have to be added to next month's trip plans of the husband's one day school and Joe Satriani concert @ The House of Blue. You may can refuse the temptation of drink in the Big Easy should you have some super glue :noway: Maybe the husband will have school and that will require me to come that direction also in Jan. Roommate idea is looking very good for the daughter who has turned 18 and suddenly thinks she is grown. May have to give that some thoughts and share about it with the husband.

Now as for job scene sadly nothing panned out. In the end I did accept the contract job in the computer lab. Crossing my fingers that I will be able to afford the Cobra insurance during this next year but will have to wait until they send info about what it will cost. Keep reminding myself better are His plans than any I cold have for myself and that in all things there is a purpose even when we don't understand. I am thankful to have a job and to be honest one that does pay well even should it not have benefits.
    Tomorrow is the first day and I am excited.

Hope the rest of the week is good for everyone !!!
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    thanks everyone for the birthday wishes... had a nice day - movie with nachos and candy... carrot cake and champagne for desert - love the hubs - took me out for surf and turf Sunday - homemade meal tonight....

hubby was working - jr was working around the house.. saw ELISIUM (spelling?) - very nice...
    was tempted to see Jennifer Anniston as a stripper with marijuana but didn't feel like it... giggles... will wait for it to come to TV....

see you soon

Carol
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    more good clean fun fun fun!

mudpit2.jpgslipnslide3.jpgslipnslide7.jpg

:bigsmile: Love em Patrice !!!!!!!!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Important Mantras for the Golden Aged!

Many people feel unhappy, health-wise and security-wise, after 60 or 70 or 80 years of age, feeling as if a diminishing importance is given to them and their opinions. But, it need not be so, if only we understand the basic principles of life and follow them.
    Here are ten mantras to age gracefully, make life after retirement more pleasant, enjoy and treasure the elder years of wisdom and intelligence at its best.

1. Never say 'I am too old'
    There are three ages, chronological, biological, and psychological. The first is calculated based on our date of birth; the second is determined by the health conditions and the third is how old you feel you are. While we don't have control over the first, we can take care of our health with good diet, exercise and a cheerful attitude. A positive attitude and optimistic thinking can reverse the third age.
    2. Health is wealth
    If you really love your kids and kin, taking care of yourself and your health should be your priority. Thus, you will not be a burden to them. Have an annual health check-up and take the prescribed medicines regularly. Take out a health care insurance coverage.
    3. Money is important
    Money is essential for meeting the basic necessities of life, keeping good health and earning family respect and security. Don't spend beyond your means even for your children. You have lived for them through out, and it is time you enjoyed a harmonious life with your spouse. If your children are grateful they should take care of you. But never take it for granted.
    4. Relaxation and recreation
    The most relaxing and recreating forces are healthy and religious attitudes, good sleep, music and laughter. Have faith in your religion, learn to sleep well, love good music, and see the fun side of life.
    5. Time is precious
    It is almost like holding a horse's reins. When they are in your hands, you can control them. Imagine that every day you are born again. Yesterday is a paid cheque. Tomorrow is a promissory note. "Today is ready cash; use it profitably. Live this moment".
    6. Change is the only permanent thing
    We should accept change ; it is inevitable. The only way to make sense out of change is to join the dance. Change has brought about many pleasant things. We should be happy that our children are blessed.
    7. Enlightened selfishness
    All of us are basically selfish. Whatever we do, we expect something in return. We should definitely be grateful to those who stood by us. But, our focus should be on the internal satisfaction and happiness we derive by doing good to others, without expecting anything in return but the warm glow we get, which in the end, is what we really want.
    8. Forgive, then Forget.
    Don't be bothered too much about others' mistakes. We are not spiritual enough to show our other cheek when we are slapped on one cheek. But, for the sake of our own health and happiness, let us forgive and forget them. Otherwise, we will only be increasing our BP.
    9. Everything has a reason; a purpose
    Take life as it comes. Accept yourself as you are, and also accept others for what they are. Everybody is unique and right in their own ways.
    10. Overcome the fear of death
    We all know that one day we have to leave this world. Still we are afraid of death. We think that our spouse and children will be unable to withstand our loss. But the truth is that no one is going to die for you; they may be depressed for some time. Time heals everything and they will carry on.
    11. Count your blessings
    Earthly treasures is temporary and can not be taken in our grave. Enjoy it while it lasts.
    12. Live today fight another day
    Cry not, nor grieve not...for a life today could be better tomorrow with our perfect square and core value lifted up to heaven.
    13. Smiles and Laugh
    It is the best medicine of life to live.
    14. Live a life to the best you can be
    It is the happiest moment in our life.
    Remember, no one leaves this world alive.
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wonderful sentiments Snoozie. Thanks for that insight. Have a great day!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Snoozie, Awesome words of wisdom to look at every day!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    :tongue: crickets chirping
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    It's been pretty quiet in here lately, so I thought I'd check in and see how everyone is doing ? We all aimed to soar this month with some individual goals....

Patrice: looks like soooo much fun in the 5K mud and foam-great pics btw! How's the daily exercise and food tracking going?

Tammy- how is the new job going? With all this stress, have you had to tweak your very ambitious 5 goals?
    Goal 1: Incorporate Food 4 Thought daily as many of you have seen that past few days.
    Goal 2: Continually focus what I have accomplished rather than how far I have to go.
    Goal 3: Lose btw 5 - 10 lbs in August
    Goal 4: With school starting in 10 days, to remember to take time for ME !!! MY FAMILY !!! MY FRIENDS !!!
    Goal 5: No less than 3 days @ no less than 30 minutes exercise per week

Janet- Congrats on Hawaii- may I pretty please go in your suitcase?? How are you doing in the veggie department?

Tonya- How's it going now that your back from your lovely vacation? Still letting go of the negative? Making any progress with the 5 lbs?

Carol- Congrats on hitting the big 50! Still finding the wind beneath your wings?

T2- Still maintaining your terrific improvement in exercise? how's the eating plan going?

Cheryl- Still finding gym time now that you are back to work?

Chatogal- Glad you are having such a great start to your vacation- how's your goal of not going overboard going?

Harley- are you getting stronger with your strength training goal?

Snoozie- Are you improving in each of the baseline numbers on your testing ? Getting close to your 10 second goal? Forgiven T for making you run!bigsmile?

If I left anybody out, please join in!

As far as my goals are concerned, I gathered all the new info I could at canyon Ranch and made some great connections with people who work there but have a private practice in Tucson. The advice from the experts was to eat more calories, plus I got a target heart rate done and an exercise plan. Additionally, it was suggested that I drink a sports drink, so i have been drinking Trader Joe's electrolyte water with amazing results including no more lightheadedness at higher heart rates, and my tight muscles, including my plantar fascia, have all relaxed ,and my feet don't kill me for the first time in over a year!!! I also have hooked up with a fantastic neuromuscular therapist for my neck, so dropped PT and am getting regular weekly treatment from him.
    Some of you may have noticed that I don't post my diary anymore. That is because I am making some changes and I need some time for adjusting. Also, during this process it may be misleading to others. I did reach my 40 lb lost goal, and although the increase in calories doesn't look like the 40 lb loss is going to stay that way, I believe the calorie increase is the correct thing and my body will adjust accordingly. I am doing my best to keep to my exercise prescription, and have started water aerobics:-)

Looking forward to hearing how all of you are doing -remember, baby steps!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    MIA Tammy here sorry :indifferent: Just been busy. My day ends earlier with the new position which means now I spend that time helping the daughter do homework. Until Monday that is, yesterday I accepted another job tutoring 4 days a week 3 hours a day. So the daughter will return to Victory Camp after school care.

Now Seehe, I have done good with all but Goal One posting. I am taking time for me and now that we finally got done with the pool I am exercising and spending time with the family. So glad to hear the advice you have received is giving you relief. My favorite exercises are those that can be done in water, hope you are enjoying the water aerobics.

Janet I have beg that you buy lots of luggage to bring the hatters along :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Tonya how is the hiring going and have you got a break yet?

Well its that time again to get some sleep for the new day. I didn't respond to all but know that I do check in and soon as the busy opening of school passes things should get back to normal (whatever that may be LOLOL)

Hope everyone is having a lovely week, Tammy
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Tammy~So happy you are doing so well, both with your goals and finding some additional work. I was a special ed teacher for 32 years and tutored after school as well. I've retired now, but still tutor out of my home 2 hours a day 4 days a week which helps offset the fact that the state retirement is 66% of my former salary :-) It sounds like you are tutoring for some other place? I'm curious as to where?
  • tonyacoursey
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

Things are good here although very busy. I just wish I weren't so tired. I was thinking of resetting my days here on MFP thinking that may give me an increased motivation. It looks like MFP has finally done that for me. I missed logging more than a few times until the day after but now it seems like it actually counts. I am happy to have a reset as it gives me a chance to reset myself.

Tammy, hiring is almost non existent at this time. I made mention of the process stating I wanted to be "proactive" haha, I got the typical "oh you are using the buzz words"....I said to myself "No dumbass I am trying to do my job and yours" maybe I don't have the best attitude :explode:

Seehe, I wish I were on my idyllic isle, things would be so much more serene. I will make the best of this situation and someday end up on my island. I wish all of you could have been there with me. What a great time we would have had. As far as the negative....its going well. I am making it through each day in my personal life very well. Work, that is another story but going as well as can be expected.