Options

Replies

• AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    mjohemme wrote: »
    Daily Post (Wednesday)
    Tonight is game night and so another plan in advance for beer and snacks this evening. Last night went well, so I have hope for tonight. :smile:

Tuesday (I do these in the morning, so my info is for yesterday)
    Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Exercise: Yes, walking only

Awesome!! I know you can do it!! Stay Strong!
  • jennfalzon1979
    jennfalzon1979 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Here’s a chuckle for you. My lunch everyday is a protein shake. I use Vega Vanilla protein powder, frozen fruit, a scoop of peanut butter, a scoop of benefibre and a tiny bit of cinnamon (boosts your immune system). Today. While a smidge distracted by my 3 year old...I put chilli powder in the blender instead of cinnamon. Yuck.
  • AB0215
    Options
    Here’s a chuckle for you. My lunch everyday is a protein shake. I use Vega Vanilla protein powder, frozen fruit, a scoop of peanut butter, a scoop of benefibre and a tiny bit of cinnamon (boosts your immune system). Today. While a smidge distracted by my 3 year old...I put chilli powder in the blender instead of cinnamon. Yuck.

I did that to my husband the other day, was making him a taco salad and instead of cumin I put cinnamon on it...that's a weird flavor for tacos...just saying.
  • ssssanaaaa
    ssssanaaaa Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Daily Post: Tueday
    Track?: Yes!
    Calories: Over but not by that much.
    Exercise: In lab for 4 hours needs to count.
    Water: I think around 6 cups and that was easy with my water bottle but I didn't drink more because it smelled like new plastic so last night I used baking soda on it. Definitely helped.

Overall good day yesterday. Just need to continue!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Snow day here. It's been snowing most of the day, and school was cancelled. I shoveled for exercise today (rather than letting the plow guy come and do it). Roads are clear enough now that I could probably get to the gym, but honestly I'm tired. So far I"m well under for calories - I might indulge in a glass of red wine :smile:
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Daily Post:(Wednesday)
    Exercise: Yes Another solid day in the shed today. 1800 cal added to my budget by the garmin. highest day of hydration I think since I started here.. And going by the indicators, not quite enough. It sure is hot out there.

@jennfalzon1979 lucky it was a tiny bit lol. Did you drink it anyway?

@ssssanaaaa That is a great idea with the baking soda. Will use.

@ka97 Sounds like a nice way to finish the day.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm in a chatty mood, so I'm going to post a bit more here lol. I believe I've had a breakthrough on the whole stall/plateau thing. As I sit here now, I'm pretty darn sure the problem is insomnia. I've been tracking so much data lately.. from my wrist tracker, CPAP machine, notes and more. I found a very clear pattern and sadly proved it last night.
    When I get to sleep before midnight, I don't eat anything late.. I wake in the morning lighter than I was the day before, have a coffee and very happily fast until my IF window from 6pm till 12. Following this pattern and eating under goal calories has me moving in the right direction every time.

But, when I don't fall asleep. At around 1am, the cruel late night snack fairy comes and clobbers me. When I late night snack..It's not a nibble.. The cravings are extreme, and I will devour a thousand plus cal of this that and anything else I can get my hands on. Oh it's fine I tell myself, It's all going on tomorrow's budget, so what's the harm... the harm is, consistently, I wake up heavier. Heavier even than the total weight of food I ate and drank in the wee hours of the morning.

I don't have the science to back this up.. And there are many "experts" on this site who will tell you that for weight loss it doesn't matter what time of day you consume your calories. But for me, it really does seem to matter. (Wed night) After a bad night of not sleeping and multiple trips back to the fridge, I've weighed in 2Lb heavier than I was after shower last night.. (after dinner) And if I go back over the data.. The pattern is, I will have lost some, but not all of those 2Lb by the time that I get back to my eating window tonight. Conversely, had I just been able to fend off the snacks till morn, I could have fasted through the day, eaten the same amount of calories for the day and been down on Lb by the next morning.

Does anyone else here struggle to get to sleep and have an evil snack fairy living under the bed?
  • mexiconona
    mexiconona Posts: 394 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Track yes
    Calories. Yes
    Exercise. No
    I am going to report only once today!
  • mexiconona
    mexiconona Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Jan 16 was. Crazy day as you may have noticed!
  • jennfalzon1979
    Options
    Daily post

Track. Yes
    Calories. Under
    Exercise 1 hour kickboxing. 45 mins aquafit
    Water. 96 ounces
  • jennfalzon1979
    Options
    @Fyreside aha. No. That shake got dumped ands new one was made!!!

As for snacking I hear you. I try my damndest to not eat anything after 7. But. I also have a potato chip addiction. So. I try to follow two rules. 1) only have chips available on cheat day. 2) chew gum. Cravings (in my opinion) can be psychological and the mere act of chewing occupies your mouth tricking your brain into thinking its eating. I suggest a strong flavoured one like dentyne fire. Might help.
  • AB0215
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    I'm in a chatty mood, so I'm going to post a bit more here lol. I believe I've had a breakthrough on the whole stall/plateau thing.

But, when I don't fall asleep. At around 1am, the cruel late night snack fairy comes and clobbers me. When I late night snack..It's not a nibble.. The cravings are extreme, and I will devour a thousand plus cal of this that and anything else I can get my hands on. Oh it's fine I tell myself, It's all going on tomorrow's budget, so what's the harm... the harm is, consistently, I wake up heavier. Heavier even than the total weight of food I ate and drank in the wee hours of the morning.

Does anyone else here struggle to get to sleep and have an evil snack fairy living under the bed?

On occasion...not too terribly often, I have been known to wake up randomly hungry...and I can't fall asleep hungry...
    So what I tend to do is drink some ice cold water which usually fixes it...but if it doesn't plan B is usually a couple pickle spears--I think this is mental for me as it gives my brain the illusion of eating something...even though it's super low calories and low carb but sometimes that still doesn't work and I go to plan C and eat small serving of pecans or walnuts (usually my last resort because it's a higher calorie snack).
    Weirdly, sleep has always been my nemesis and I used to eat a lot at night, I guess to fill some void (insert some psychological reason here)...and last year I swore I would stop that and for the most part I really have, so I do think that it's mostly mental and for me tricking my brain into thinking that I gave in works for me.

I will also say that I feel like when I eat matters for me too...I tend to do better if I skip breakfast (even though it's technically impossible to skip breakfast as it literally means the first meal of the day--as you're breaking your fast) not sure if it's just because I eat less overall, or I work harder to get my things done in the morning before I eat since I have laser sharp focus in the morning...no idea why it is that way for me, but it is nevertheless.

• AB0215
    Options
    Daily post

Track. Yes
    Calories. Under
    Exercise 1 hour kickboxing. 45 mins aquafit
    Water. 96 ounces

You go girl! Super great job...you killed it today!
  • AB0215
    Options
    mexiconona wrote: »
    Track yes
    Calories. Yes
    Exercise. No
    I am going to report only once today!

Great job staying on track despite having a crazy day!
  • AB0215
    Options
    Daily Post (Wednesday)
    Day: So--fun day today. Had a session with my trainer today and we changed my program. I'm super excited to see the changes that are coming, and it's going to feel great because it's a super difficult program so when I look and feel even more amazing than I do now, I'm going to be that much happier since I had to work that much harder for it.
    Exercise: Yes--30 minutes, mostly re-checking PRs today, then 1 hour walking dogs for the Humane Society. I had so much fun doing that today despite the frigid temps.
    Water Intake: 99 oz
  • IanMoone30
    IanMoone30 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Track yes
    Calories under
    Exercise only 10 min but better than nothing
    Question of the week
    My favorite healthy snack is strawberry
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    I don't have the science to back this up.. And there are many "experts" on this site who will tell you that for weight loss it doesn't matter what time of day you consume your calories. But for me, it really does seem to matter. (Wed night) After a bad night of not sleeping and multiple trips back to the fridge, I've weighed in 2Lb heavier than I was after shower last night.. (after dinner) And if I go back over the data.. The pattern is, I will have lost some, but not all of those 2Lb by the time that I get back to my eating window tonight. Conversely, had I just been able to fend off the snacks till morn, I could have fasted through the day, eaten the same amount of calories for the day and been down on Lb by the next morning.

@Fyreside. I'll start this with I am not a doctor, but I have researched the !@#$ out of this topic (lots of articles from pubmed and other reputable sources - medicine has a language all it's own).

When doing IF, time of eating DOES matter. SIGNIFICANTLY. Especially if combined with a low carb diet like Keto.

Keto takes significant work for the body to use keytones to generate energy (as the glycogen reserves are in a state of almost constant depletion). When sleeping, there is little large muscle group activity, so the body tries to conserve energy to keep the brain fed with blood sugar from keytosis, protein breakdown and at worst protein synthesis. It also tries to lower body temperature and slow digestion to a crawl. You likely "sleep like the dead".

If your CPAP has a humidifier, then the body will also try slow down the loss of water through exhalation too. As you need to keep salts up to prevent cramps, water retention also becomes a real issue.

Unfortunately there is a lot of "trial and error" is devising a weight management plan for each person. Generalised studies are great for identifying overall trends, but end of the day it comes down to the individual - YOU.

Happy to work with you via PM.
  • ssssanaaaa
    ssssanaaaa Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Daily post: Wednesday (I usually do these the next morning but today was awful and I need to get it off my chest)

Track?: Yes
    Calories: Over by A LOT :(
    Exercise: No
    Water: 3 cups.

Today was a bad day in terms of fitness and school too. I was sitting all day long on my butt supposed to be studying but was being mostly unproductive. My emotionally draining friend came to 'study' me (usually talking to friends/people in general helps me feel energized but for some reason she drains me :/ I'm not sure why) but we only studied for about an hour and after that she kept talking on and on until she had to leave and there was only less than an hour left til my last class so I didn't get much studying done. In terms of fitness, my day started out alright except for I ate some cereal which may have triggered that bad day? because it has more carbs than I want to eat in a day (I'm on a low carb diet). and then my brother suggested we go to qdoba and I think 1 burrito is packed with like 1000 calories so I had that and then on top of that I ate more when I came home. Ugh. I think I have the mindset "Well, I already messed up today. Might as well indulge." which I dont think is a good one. i can't wait for tomorrow so I can start over.
  • JJKM02
    JJKM02 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sorry I forgot to post on Wednesday. It was a pretty busy day with work, hockey, a lots of snow....and the kids (and maybe the staff!!!) hoping for a snow day!! Haha!
    Track yes
    Calories under
    Water 80 oz
    Exercise 60 minutes of aquafit and 20 minutes of lane swimming

Enjoy your Thursday!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Username: tinak33
    Weigh in week: 3
    Weigh in day: Thursday
    Previous Week's Weight:179.9
    Current Weight: 180.6

I'm hovering around the 180 mark..... It's not a plateau. It's an "I've lost my mojo". I lost my motivation to track what I eat. Not necessarily to lose weight, as I am still trying to keep it around the 180 mark (or lower!). But I just don't care. And I think it has to do with exhaustion and crappy cold weather. When I am tired, I eat. I feel more energized when I eat (aka sugar high.... lol). And it's been so cold out, it's making me more tired. Even when I sit at my desk at work with my space heater going.
    I just can't seem to get motivated to continue! And it's upsetting. But not upsetting enough to make me change anything.
    I'm stuck in a slump and lost my mojo!! :'(
This discussion has been closed.