TEAM: The Slimsons (March)

Options

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »

I bought a new toy. The pee based keto strips have been disturbingly showing trace or no signs of ketones for months now. Which is not uncommon in a keto adapted body. You just don't make more than you need.. etc. But despite having every reason to believe I was in ketosis, I really wanted to see the numbers, so I bought a blood test machine that does both glucose and ketones. In the up-comming days/weeks, I'm looking forward to fine tuning my diet macro's to see if I can dial in on optimal function. (it was 2.1 btw, in an ideal range of 1.5-3)

Oh interesting! Let me know how it works. My keto strips suck..or maybe it's me and my bad diet lately :)
  • carlsoda
    Options
    3/28/18
    Track - yes
    Calories - yes
    Exercise - yes
    Water - lots!!
  • ssssanaaaa
    ssssanaaaa Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Daily post: Monday
    Track: Yes
    Calories: Did maintenance yesterday
    Exercise: No
    Water: 40 ounces D:
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Tracked: yes
    Calories: on target
    Exercise: erg in the morning, round of golf, yard work, and taking my son on a walk.
    Water: 50 oz
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    Options
    Question of the Week: (Sorry guys, I've been a slacker this week!):

What is something you've started doing in the last 5 months (or recently) that you wish you'd started doing 5 years (or a really long time) ago?
  • IanMoone30
    IanMoone30 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Track yes
    Calories no little over
    Exercise no
    Hate working overnight night messes with my sleep schedule. Haven’t been to the gym in like 2 weeks. Need to find the motivation
  • IanMoone30
    IanMoone30 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Question anyone that has tried the keto diet. Was it easy to get into. I’m finding a lot of information. Not sure where to start. Any advice?
  • AB0215
    edited March 2018
    Options
    IanMoone30 wrote: »
    Question anyone that has tried the keto diet. Was it easy to get into. I’m finding a lot of information. Not sure where to start. Any advice?

I have been keto since July of last year.

It was a bit daunting in the beginning, there are a lot of "rules" but they're really simple. The major aim of keto is to keep your body in a state of ketosis, which is literally shifting your body from burning glucose for fuel to burning fat for fuel, so you will be limiting your carbs to around 20 (net carbs, carbs-fiber).

My advice to start is start with simple foods. Calculate your macros using an online calculator, and there are many...some are specific goal oriented, I started with the one on ruled.me. This is actually a great resource. They give you a pretty comprehensive listing of the recommended foods and the ones to avoid, which is based primarily on the carb/sugar count. What I did, was start very simple. I ate a protein source, ate a fat source and then restricted my carbs. For a while I ate steak, broccoli and avocados until I got comfortable with the macros and then I looked for recipes and other foods to add in.

Here's the part that I wish I had paid more attention to when I started. ELECTROLYTES. Pay particular attention to the electrolytes in the beginning. Your body will go through a transition period of a bit of a lack of energy and subsequently "keto flu" if you don't pay attention to the electrolytes. Be patient, the transition from sugar to fat for fuel can take a few weeks (usually 2-6), but once you do, the benefits are worth it, in my opinion.

I have plenty of recipes and resources, but I think that ruled.me is a great place to start, and start simple, it's a great plan and worth a try if you're looking for something to try. It's not for everyone, but it worth a shot, but the thing is-you have to give it time to work as it's a big shift and your body will take time to adjust.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Haha... I was halfway through typing a reply when I saw the AB0215 had replied to topic message.. I'm just going to add a couple of things to that.

I took a run up at keto.. I was eating upwards of 100-150g of carbs per day last year and so I started weening myself off them. Slashed the portions of pasta, bread, crackers etc.. When I got down to nearer 70g per day of carbs I decided to take the plunge. Set myself a goal of no more than 20g per day of "Net" carbs. (Carbs - fibre) And my body just picked it up.. I was in ketosis in 2 days. Thanks to copious helpings of bacon, I skipped the keto flu, but honestly it can't be said enough ELECTROLYTES... That being Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium. The reason being you will drink and process quite a bit more water. Getting my head around the idea of eating more salt deliberately has probably been one of the hardest bits. but at the end of the day it's easy to accomodate.. Just add salt to meals, I use some dietrite lite salt with potassium chloride in it to supplement what I get from chicken and I take a magnesium pill 1-3 times a week to avoid muscle cramps. FWIW, my blood pressure has not changed at all despite the sodium increase.

If you can get those bits sorted, the rest of it is really easy.. Carbs are a limit 5% Protien is a range 20-30% and fat is the rest. If you can live without carby things and handle adding cream and butter to things, you will love it.

Personally I don't think it's a WOE to dabble in.. I watched my Dad give it a go against my advice and he started ok but soon stopped weighing things and wanted to have the occasional sandwich.. Cookies with his coffee etc. He yoyo'ed in and out of ketosis for a couple of weeks and gave up. But if you are already weighing portions and like the idea of your body burning it's storehouse of fat for energy then you will love it. Once keto adapted, it's hard to describe the amount of available energy you will have. Many people get into intermittent fasting because they just aren't hungry enough to eat 3 meals a day. Anyway, I'm going to stop there as I really don't want to be preachy about it, but I'm 5 months in and loving it.

One quick word about preparation. It will be your kidneys converting fat to ketones. Personally I had a full set of bloodwork and a chat with my doctor before I started. Just to make sure my kidney health was up to a higher workload etc. I also wanted to have a baseline on things like cholesterol so I could monitor it down the track.

It is with a chuckle that I now answer the question of the week.. Keto. ;)
  • AB0215
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    Haha... I was halfway through typing a reply when I saw the AB0215 had replied to topic message.. I'm just going to add a couple of things to that.

One quick word about preparation. It will be your kidneys converting fat to ketones. Personally I had a full set of bloodwork and a chat with my doctor before I started. Just to make sure my kidney health was up to a higher workload etc. I also wanted to have a baseline on things like cholesterol so I could monitor it down the track.
    Haha, yeah, I tend to monitor the thread for things that I think really need a response and things that can wait, and this is one that I know a lot about, it's really changed my life and I have no intention of going back!

Water is super important on keto, that is a point I forgot to mention, and it will help your kidneys and also help your body in the fat metabolism, but it's also what tends to flush your electrolytes. It is a hard thing to get past in the beginning since we have been told to watch the salt, but they're super important. I only dealt with about a day of keto flu before I figured out how much sodium I really needed, and the magnesium and potassium I get from food, but I actively add salt to literally everything, and it's a good thing I like salt...just saying.
  • memery7
    memery7 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Daily Post Thursday
    Tracking Yes
    Calories Yes Under
    Exercise Yes 7 flights of stairs
    Water Yes almost 64 oz.

• AB0215
    Options
    Daily Post (Thursday)

Track: Nope, really need to stop not tracking, just saying. Tracking is important.
    Calories: I have no idea, probably not
    Exercise: Yep, 50 mins of weight training and elliptical
    Water Intake: 99 oz

Day/Goals: Today was day 1 of a 2 part series to test my 1 rep max in my lifts. This will tell me if my training is yielding me the appropriate results and also guide my next cycle, and today was promising....very promising...more on that tomorrow when the all the results are in...but I must say...very happy about today's test.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Weigh in
    Week: March Week 4
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous Week's Weight: 153.8
    Current Weight:154.6
  • AB0215
    Options
    143tobe wrote: »
    Weigh in
    Week: March Week 4
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous Week's Weight: 153.8
    Current Weight:154.6

I wish I could go on a vacation and only gain that...great job!! Glad you enjoyed your vacation!!
  • carlsoda
    Options
    Daily Post 3/29
    Tracking - almost :)
    Calories - over (ate out last night)
    Exercise - yes
    Water - yes!

And I've decided to take a break in April but I'll finish up the month as strong as I can!
  • JJKM02
    JJKM02 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Daily post for Thursday (Sorry....busy day yesterday!
    Track yes
    Calories under
    Exercise 60 minutes of aquafit and a very expensive trip to Costco!
  • JJKM02
    JJKM02 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Username JJKM02
    Weigh in Week March Week 4
    Weigh in day Friday
    Previous weight 304.6
    Current weight 302.7
  • AB0215
    Options
    Starting something new so that it will hopefully make things a bit easier. I'm going to post reminders for each weigh in day and tag the those on that day so I hopefully have to send less reminders out. I will also be sending a reminder on Saturdays now to those who didn't post during the week as a final reminder that if they don't post it on Saturday, it either won't count for the week or unfortunately cause an elimination from the challenge.
  • AB0215
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    Daily Post 3/29
    Tracking - almost :)
    Calories - over (ate out last night)
    Exercise - yes
    Water - yes!

And I've decided to take a break in April but I'll finish up the month as strong as I can!

Sorry to see you go, we wish you luck!!
  • AB0215
    Options
    Happy Friday Weigh In Day:
    @143tobe
    @jenngitch
    @JJKM02
    @mebelfanti
    @mexiconona
    @ssssanaaaa
    @WinkyElf

Thanks to those who already posted, great job being ahead!!
This discussion has been closed.